[AGM/Written/Repost] Yollohcoatl: Field Spell triggered swapping Trapmons! (19/19)

Dova

[spoiler=AGM Prompt]

EARTH Winged Beasts that have a style similar to Aztec statues.

They all have a single unique mechanic where, if a field spell is activated, they shift from their monster state to being a continuous traps or back. The gimmick there being that they stick to the same column when moving from monster zone to spell/trap zone, so if the other slot is blocked off, they can't transform.

They have a high swarming capacity and like to trade off their field spells for each other with their offensive ones doing things based on how many Winged Beasts you control (i.e. "winged beast monsters you control gain 100 attack for each + Armades effect) while the defensive ones do things based on your continuous traps (i.e. "you take 200 less damage for every continuous trap you control").

The deck also has some trap monsters that, when activated, typically limit how your opponent goes about making plays (i.e. Magician's Valkeria effects, limited # of spell/trap activations, etc.), but only for the turn. These monsters also Set themselves every time a new field spell is activated, so they can work multiple times on the field.

Despite the high potential of these guys, their biggest strength is also their greatest downfall: field spells. Their transformation effect isn't optional, so your opponent can very easily mess everything up just by activating 1 field spell.

So, first off, flavour. Decided to name the monsters after South American birds, with one exception (what could it be hmmmmmm), and the Trapmons after Aztec Gods, again with one exception. Field Spells are named after Aztec city-states in Central America, and as for the other S/T Support...well, I just went with thematically appropriate names.

As for the designing, initially went with Psuedo-Trapmons for the Traps, but realized the prompt specified Continuous Traps, so that made life a little difficult in regards to Zone control. Upon rereading the prompt, I realized it didn't specify this! Only the monsters became Continuous Traps, so I could actually do some Qlife's End shenanigans! This meant that the monsters wouldn't eat up your Spell/Trap Zone if I made them Normal Traps, so that gave them a significant buff.

Anyway, I pressed on, adding some returning with the main monsters and some Mekk-Knight-esque field manipulation with one of the field spells. Had a bit of difficulty expanding said Field Spells given the prompts specifications, but I think it went decently. Also went a little risky and made HOPT as little of a thing as possible on the Trapmons and main monsters, in order to try and take advantage of swapping in and out of being a Trap or not.

Basic plays are setting up for Tribute Summoning Serpent, and then attacking. I hope I encaptured the swarming aspect of the archetype, but one thing I definitely did do is leave the field (haha hilarous joke xd) open for your opponent to activate one or more Field Spells to mess up the whole system. Like most of my AGM sets, its designed to work just as well in the AGM format as in Link Format, so hopefully I achieved that too.

[spoiler=Monsters: (5)]

Yollohcoatl Capuchin
EARTH | ✪✪✪ | Winged Beast/Effect | 1300/1400

When this card is Normal Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 “Yollohcoatl” monster from your hand or GY. Once per turn, if you Special Summon a Winged Beast monster(s) while this card is face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone: You can activate 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck. If a Field Spell Card is activated (except during the Damage Step): Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the zone this card is in.
● Monster Zone: Place this card face-up in your Spell & Trap Zone of its column as a Continuous Trap.
● Spell & Trap Zone: Special Summon this card to your zone of its column.

Yollohcoatl Eagle
EARTH | ✪✪✪✪ | Winged Beast/Effect | 1700/600

Once per turn, when another monster declares an attack: You can activate 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck. Once per turn, if you activate a Continuous Trap Card while this card is face-up on your Spell/Trap Zone: You can activate 1 Field Spell Card from your hand or GY. If a Field Spell Card is activated (except during the Damage Step): Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the zone this card is in.
● Monster Zone: Place this card face-up in your Spell & Trap Zone of its column as a Continuous Trap.

Yollohcoatl Macaw
EARTH | ✪✪ | Winged Beast/Effect | 1000/600

If this card is in your GY: You can return 1 face-up Continuous Trap Card you control to your hand; Special Summon this card from your GY. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. Once per turn, if this card is face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone: You shuffle 1 of your banished cards in your Deck, and if you do, activate 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck. If a Field Spell Card is activated (except during the Damage Step): Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the zone this card is in.

Yollohcoatl Condor
EARTH | ✪✪✪✪✪ | Winged Beast/Effect | 2100/2000

If this card is in your hand: You can return 1 face-up Continuous Trap Card you control to your hand; Special Summon this card. Once per turn, if this card is face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone: You can send 1 Winged Beast monster from your Deck to the GY, and if you do, you can Special Summon 1 other “Yollohcoatl” monster from your GY. If a Field Spell Card is activated (except during the Damage Step): Apply the appropriate effect, depending on the zone this card is in.

Yollohcoatl Serpent
EARTH | ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ | Winged Beast/Effect | 2700/2700

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by Tributing 3 monsters and/or face-up Continuous Trap Cards you control.. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can send 1 Winged Beast monster from your Deck to your GY; Set 1 "Yollohcoatl" Spell/Trap Card to your side of the field. This card gains effects based on the number of Trap Cards on the field that were Tributed for its Summon.
● 1+: If a Winged Beast monster you control attacks or is attacked an opponent’s monster: You can send 1 Continuous Trap Card from your hand or side of the field to the GY; your Winged Beast monster gains 1000 ATK and DEF until the end of this turn.

● 2+: This card cannot be destroyed by cards or effects.
● 3+: This card cannot be targeted by cards or effects.

[spoiler=Trapmons: (4)]

Yollohcoatl Metztli
Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Winged Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 3/ATK 1100/DEF 2100). (This card is still treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way: Your opponent cannot target other Winged Beast monsters you control for attacks this turn. If a Field Spell Card is activated while this card is face-up on the field as a monster (except during the Damage Step): Set this card to your Spell & Trap Zone.

Yollohcoatl Ehecatl
Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Winged Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 4/ATK 1800/DEF 0). (This card is still treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way: Your opponent cannot Summon more than 1 monster at a time this turn. If a Field Spell Card is activated while this card is face-up on the field as a monster (except during the Damage Step): Set this card to your Spell & Trap Zone.

Yollohcoatl Tlaloc
Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Winged Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 5/ATK 1900/DEF 1900). (This card is still treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way while you control another “Yollohcoatl” monster(s): Your opponent cannot activate more Spell/Trap Cards each this turn equal to the number of unused Main Monster Zones you control. If a Field Spell Card is activated while this card is face-up on the field as a monster (except during the Damage Step): Set this card to your Spell & Trap Zone.

Yollohcoatl Offering
Continuous Trap

Special Summon this card as an Effect Monster (Winged Beast-Type/EARTH/Level 1/ATK 300/DEF 400). (This card is still treated as a Trap Card.) If Summoned this way while you control another “Yollohcoatl” monster(s): You can Special Summon 1 “Yollohcoatl” monster from your hand or GY. If a Field Spell Card is activated while this card is face-up on the field as a monster (except during the Damage Step): Set this card to your Spell & Trap Zone.

[spoiler=Field Spells: (4)]

Yollohcoatl Zapotec
Field Spell

When this card is activated: You can add 1 “Yollohcoatl” monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. Monsters you control gain 100 ATK for each Winged Beast monster on your side of the field. If a “Yollohcoatl” monster you controls attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step.

Yollohcoatl Tlaxcala
Field Spell

When this card is activated: You can add 1 “Yollohcoatl” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand, except “Yollohcoatl Tlaxcala”. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can inflict damage to your opponent equal to the number of Winged Beast monsters you control x300.

Yollohcoatl Mixtec
Field Spell

If your opponent would inflict damage to you (by battle or by card effect), you take 200 less damage for each face-up Continuous Trap Card you control. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 other card you control; move it to a different column in the same Zone.

Yollohcoatl Teoticlan
Field Spell

When this card is activated: Place 1 Counter on it for each Continuous Trap Card you control. When an opponent’s card or effect that targeted another “Yollohcoatl” monster(s) you control resolves, you can remove 1 Counter from this card to negate that card or effect. If a card(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or a card effect, you can remove all Counters from this card instead.

[spoiler=Other Spells/Traps: (4)]

Yollohcoatl Lines
Normal Spell

Send 1 Field Spell Card from your Deck to the GY; add 1 Field Spell Card with a different name to that card from your Deck to your hand. You can only activate 1 “Yollohcoatl Lines” per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish it from your GY; add 1 “Yollohcoatl” Spell/Trap Card from your Deck to your hand.

Yollohcoatl Destiny
Normal Spell

Target 3 Field Spells in your GY; shuffle them into your Deck, and if you do, draw 1 card, then if they all had different names, draw 1 more card. You can only activate 1 “Yollohcoatl Destiny” per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can banish it from your GY; add 1 “Yollohcoatl” monster from your Deck to your hand.

Divine Providence of the Yollohcoatl
Normal Trap

Field Spell Cards on the field are unaffected by your opponent’s cards or effects until the end of this turn. If you control 2 or more face-up Continuous Trap Cards, you can activate this card from your hand. During your Main Phase: You can banish 1 “Yollohcoatl” card from your GY; add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Star Signs of the Yollohcoatl
Normal Trap

The first time each Spell/Trap Card you control is Set from your side of the field to your Spell & Trap Zone this turn, it can be activated that turn. If you control 2 or more face-up Continuous Trap Cards, you can activate this card from your hand. During your Main Phase: You can banish 1 “Yollohcoatl” card from your GY; add this card from your GY to your hand. You can only use each effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Yeah, 'tis a repost, however a major change has been from the monsters changing from Trap Monsters to Psuedo-Trap Monsters. Dunno how much that changes the balance of this set, but hopefully it's still not broken. Dunno if Lines is completely outclassed by Terraforming.

CnC would be appreciated. I really enjoyed making these, and even a few lines would be much welcome!

Doing this from my phone currently so I’ll just do the overview and the monsters for right now,

Yollohcoalt seems like it would be a fun archetype to play with, the gimmick seems interesting enough since the only other archetype that revolves around field spell usage currently are tramids. With that in mind there’s a lot of different avenues that you could take this archetype in and after looking over the various field spells i feel as though you have set yourself up that way.

As for the monsters...

Capuchin: it’s always good to see a special summoner in an archetype, but it doesn’t seem like the archetype as anyway of filling the GY currently, so while I think that it’s effect is useful for this archetype, it’s just not as strong as it could be if you could special summon from the hand. As for its Trap Effect, I think being able to activate a field spell straight from the deck is pretty powerful and goes well with this archetype.

Eagle: it’s obvious that your first thoughts were to create monsters that would help out with the searching capabilities for the archetypes field spells. This card is a little slow as a monster as you have to wait for your opponent to attack while this card is still on the field, as a trap it’s a little better but still slow, maybe have it be a hand trap that negates your opponent’s attack while you have another face up “Yollohcoatl” and then the effect. It is nice to be able to activate a field spell during your opponent’s turn though.

Macaw: Macaw’s first Effect is ok, while it allows you to recycle some of your monster effects there’s still no in archetype foolish burial so my problem is that I have to wait for it to be destroyed to be able to special summon it. Macaw’s second effect combos well with the normal spell and traps which is nice since most archetypes don’t have ways of getting back banished cards.

Condor: it’s first Effect is the opposite of macaws, which is the better of the two as it’s faster since all you have to do is summon a yollohcoatl and then activate a field spell, then special summon this guy. It’s second Effect is again ok if you have other yollohcoatl monster in the GY.

Serpent: the tribute summon effect is nice as you can tribute the traps as well but I would make it count as a special summon where you have to tribute cards in order to special summon it. It’s 1st Effect again is good if you get these guys in the GY. Ok here’s a good effect that helps supply the rest of your other yoholcoatl monsters effects. Just a little confuse on the 2+ Effect is it only unable to be targeted/destroyed by card effects once per turn or is that a permanent effect?

Capuchin: it’s always good to see a special summoner in an archetype, but it doesn’t seem like the archetype as anyway of filling the GY currently, so while I think that it’s effect is useful for this archetype, it’s just not as strong as it could be if you could special summon from the hand. As for its Trap Effect, I think being able to activate a field spell straight from the deck is pretty powerful and goes well with this archetype.

Capuchin can Special Summon from the hand. Its effect specifies hand or GY, because, well, just GY forces it to be too late game, as you say.

Eagle: it’s obvious that your first thoughts were to create monsters that would help out with the searching capabilities for the archetypes field spells. This card is a little slow as a monster as you have to wait for your opponent to attack while this card is still on the field, as a trap it’s a little better but still slow, maybe have it be a hand trap that negates your opponent’s attack while you have another face up “Yollohcoatl” and then the effect. It is nice to be able to activate a field spell during your opponent’s turn though.

The thing is, Eagle works during your turn as well, if you are the one attacking. That was to encourage sacrificial plays for its powerful effect.

Macaw: Macaw’s first Effect is ok, while it allows you to recycle some of your monster effects there’s still no in archetype foolish burial so my problem is that I have to wait for it to be destroyed to be able to special summon it. Macaw’s second effect combos well with the normal spell and traps which is nice since most archetypes don’t have ways of getting back banished cards.

I got the idea from Blackwing Zephyros, as I'm pretty sure they don't have an archetypal Foolish Burial. Do you think it should be able to work from the hand as well?

Condor: it’s first Effect is the opposite of macaws, which is the better of the two as it’s faster since all you have to do is summon a yollohcoatl and then activate a field spell, then special summon this guy. It’s second Effect is again ok if you have other yollohcoatl monster in the GY.

Glad you like it!

Serpent: the tribute summon effect is nice as you can tribute the traps as well but I would make it count as a special summon where you have to tribute cards in order to special summon it. It’s 1st Effect again is good if you get these guys in the GY. Ok here’s a good effect that helps supply the rest of your other yoholcoatl monsters effects. Just a little confuse on the 2+ Effect is it only unable to be targeted/destroyed by card effects once per turn or is that a permanent effect?

Hm, making it a Special Summon probably is for the best. And no, it's a permanent effect.

Yeah, I see a dealt a lot with putting/using them in the GY. Do you reckon I should expand that concept or move the focus away from it?

Hello, fine sir!

I'd first like to say that I really like the direction you took with this prompt.  It captured the flavor I was trying to go with in its entirety.

On to the cards themselves.  First thing I wanted to note is that, as a whole, you did a really solid job in keeping everything fairly balanced.  There isn't a single card that I would consider "unneeded" out of all of them.  They all kinda need each other to function which ironically leads itself into its biggest weak point as well.  If built together in the real game, it is very likely that all the opponent would need to do is hit one point and the deck crumbles since they have very few means of extending themselves.  Of course, it is kinda an inherent weakness as dictated by the prompt, so... yeah. ||>_<

The one thing I'd fault would actually be turning the continuous traps into Normal Traps.  It actually hurts quite a bit more of the deck than it did than when they restricted your own zones before since as trap monsters, they are still treated as being continuous traps on the field.  This is critical because quite a number of the Deck's plays (Eagle's Field from Grave effect as well as Macaw and Condor's SS effects) revolve around getting Continuous Traps on the field, and in the (admittedly extremely unlikely) chance you cannot get to a field to swap your monsters' forms, there is little means of triggering those important effects.  However, being Normal Traps do give them edges in other ways including not being susceptible to backrow removal (since they would be monsters when the card resolves), so, well, I guess it's a "pick your poison" type scenario.  Alternatively, you could tweak the monsters a bit to work with their newer forms, but that could come with its own problems.

Perry kinda beat me to the punch regarding the monsters specifically, but I might as well toss my 2 cents for each.

[spoiler=Monsters]
Capuchin - Solid stats.  Brings swarming capabilities, but eats the NS (which is more/less fine as nothing else besides Serpent are tailored to the Normal Summon).  In the current game, it enables an easy L2, though not the most optimally.  The secondary effect is interesting and would be doubly so if one used a quick effect means of bringing out a field spell (Metaverse?) as a trigger off its own summon effect (to cycle through multiple field spells in a deck of floating fields).  AGM-wise, that effect could be used to cycle through a Library of Sanctuary (to grab a Spell from your Deck), or a Gravel Pit (search a level 4 or lower EARTH monster) without you getting much of the downsides of running those cards.

Eagle - Amusing card to be sure, but I can smell super deck thinning loops (have 2 Eagles, 1 in the MZ and 1 in the S/T Zone and when one attacks, it activates a field from the Deck and swaps with the other which can do the same).  Loop may be a bit tough to pull off irl, but the AGM's got 2 Winged Beast searchers so... yeah.  It's S/T effect... actually can't be resolved as the Deck is now.  You have no in-archetype Continuous Traps, and the monster effects that change them to traps doesn't count as "activating" them, I don't believe.  Either way, the S/T effect would be alright, but I think the monster effect is more solid in enabling what you need to enable.

Macaw - Extremely solid card.  Probably the best monster of the bunch in terms of outside utility.  It works like Blackwing Zephyros with the pro of being usable once per turn (over Once per Duel), with the general cons of having less stellar attributes (EARTH, level 2).  Its spell/trap effect is also really good outside the archetype.  In the real game, it enables you to pull back Pot of Desires'd cards as well as any tools that may have been banished (Dinosaurs, Fairy Tail - Snow cards, etc.). F.A. (in case they become top-table worthy, but also because they're in the AGM), would especially love this: recycle their banished Quick-plays and bring out a field spell.  Overall, really excellent, but not completely broken methinks.

Condor - Level 5 with a self-summoning effect, but that summoning has an OPT.  If I'm honest, I really don't think that summoning condition needs an OPT since it is not something that can easily be abused (what with conventional Continuous Traps needing to wait a turn to be used and even in this deck, you don't get the greatest benefit in returning your other monsters back into the hand).  Condor, like Macaw, has potential irl off its S/T effect.  It can dump Macaw, the aforementioned Zephyros, Blackwing Steam the Cloak for bringing out a tuner, Mimicry Lanius in Raidraptors for searching.. it's pretty nice.  The biggest benefit of all this is that you don't need to have a Yolloh in Grave to be a Winged Beast Foolish, but if you do have one, it simply extends your plays.

Serpent - Making a MD boss monster is tough.  I'm honestly completely on the fence with this one.  It has good stats, it lets you summon off your monsters becoming continuous traps, and it recovers your own resources + it gives pseudo-battle protection as well as having its own protection that makes it as tough to take down as my boi Hazy Flame Basiltrice.  Irl, though, that's... not enough.  It is not a monster that is as "on demand" as other boss monsters, and getting rid of it is as easy to do as taking down my boi Hazy Flame Basiltrice.  UtL, Kaijus.  However, in the AGM, it should make a formidable boss.. again, if you could get it out.  Like I'd alluded to on the outset, it is very easy to screw this deck's plays up by hitting one card, and being able to hit one card with any reliability turn by turn will prevent this card from ever being summoned.  It really doesn't help that it is a tribute summon over a SS from hand effect.  I don't think it would be too broken with the latter, but in that case, maybe bump up the full protection to only be active if you tribute 3 Cont. Traps over 2.

[spoiler=Trapmons]
3 Odd name Trapmons: I can't really think of anything super notable about each of these as they are a bit side-deck-y and work much better in some matchups than others.  The lack of a level 2 was a bit surprising as even outside this deck, depending on how good it is, it could be sparsed into paleozoic decks.  Out of the three, Metztli is probably the best in-deck, since you can easily activate it then return it to its Set position preventing your opponent from attacking at all.  Tlaloc, though, is definitely the best overall, if you could set it up with another Yolloh.  Maybe some kind of Yolloh/Blackwing lockdown mix.  Speculations aside, these are pretty tame.

Offering: definitely most interesting of the trapmons in relation to the Deck as a whole.  It can bring out the boss or revive it very easily, but, being a trap, you might end up having to activate it at an inopportune time.  It is definitely one card that the Deck can't do without.  Level 1 irl leaves it open to Linkuriboh and Where Arf Thou plays in Lyrilusc, but nothing exactly metaworthy.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps]

Field Spells: All of them are nice all-around solid cards for what the deck needs.  Being able to tutor out protection when you need it or some extra ATK when necessary is all well and good.  The fact that the first two even have effects when activated enables those aforementioned "Quick Effect into another Field Spell" deal all the better since you'd get the search anyway.  The only really dangerous one, I think, is Tlaxcala.  It is kinda a win condition when combined with Eagle's infinite Field Spell search loop, enabling you to burn for game (300 for each of the three, then use "Wanderer's World" to shuffle them back into the Deck and keep burning for game).  Mixtec has the weakest secondary ability, but it is the best one in helping keep you alive, so can't really fault it.

Lines: Fine as is.  Requires 2 field spells with different names to be run.  Irl, Terraforming has been teetering dangerously close to the list, and while this one is lesser in doing Terraforming's job, it would probably be an immediate replacement for it if Terra got hit (it really isn't too hard to run multiple field spells anymore).  AGM-wise, Draco had mentioned the Oricalchos card, but "Wanderer's World" would also work well since it has a grave effect that solidly enables Yolloh to extend their Field Spell usage.  Searcher card is searcher.

Destiny: Field Spell recovery card + draw power + searcher in one neat little package.  Nothing much to say about this card.

Providence: Field Spell protection.  A bit weaker of a card in terms of general use, but excellent in making sure to keep Mixtec alive during your opponent's turn.  This (and the other trap) partially suffer from the fact that the Trapmons aren't continuous traps, (which would enable them to be easier to use from hand) though they also benefit with actually having more zones to work with since the trapmon zones are free.  Again, pick your poison.

Star Signs is.. odd.  I'm not sure if it would work properly, especially with the Trapmons being entirely treated as monsters.  The implication seems like it would allow the Set cards to be activated infinitely because a) they weren't Spells/Traps when they were Set and b) possibly the whole issue on public knowledge/Set cards (i.e. would the "first time" aspect reset?).  Aside from that, it works when it works, but it is probably the only card that I wouldn't deem to be truly "necessary" as a whole for the deck to function.

Whew.. Man I forgot how long reviewing something could take.  Hope I've been able to help!

Cheers!

Hello to you too! Big thanks for reviewing this set, especially that in-depth. You've even one-upped me by using spoilers, making the whole thing more manageable. Kudos!

The one thing I'd fault would actually be turning the continuous traps into Normal Traps.  It actually hurts quite a bit more of the deck than it did than when they restricted your own zones before since as trap monsters, they are still treated as being continuous traps on the field.  This is critical because quite a number of the Deck's plays (Eagle's Field from Grave effect as well as Macaw and Condor's SS effects) revolve around getting Continuous Traps on the field, and in the (admittedly extremely unlikely) chance you cannot get to a field to swap your monsters' forms, there is little means of triggering those important effects.  However, being Normal Traps do give them edges in other ways including not being susceptible to backrow removal (since they would be monsters when the card resolves), so, well, I guess it's a "pick your poison" type scenario.  Alternatively, you could tweak the monsters a bit to work with their newer forms, but that could come with its own problems.

I really didn't think about that. Honestly, I made the change just when I was reposting them, when I reread the prompt. I'm tempted to get away with combining the two, getting the best aspects of both, but...probably best to stay with what's familiar. I was thinking more about your Trap Zones being used up while the Continuous Trap is Summoned, but I guess that's not too much of a deal. Back to Continuous Traps it is!

Eagle - Amusing card to be sure, but I can smell super deck thinning loops (have 2 Eagles, 1 in the MZ and 1 in the S/T Zone and when one attacks, it activates a field from the Deck and swaps with the other which can do the same).  Loop may be a bit tough to pull off irl, but the AGM's got 2 Winged Beast searchers so... yeah.  It's S/T effect... actually can't be resolved as the Deck is now.  You have no in-archetype Continuous Traps, and the monster effects that change them to traps doesn't count as "activating" them, I don't believe.  Either way, the S/T effect would be alright, but I think the monster effect is more solid in enabling what you need to

Hm....should probably limit to to "another" monster that attacks. You'd still have a loop if you had 4 Yollohcoatls with 2 of them being Eagles, but that won't be too easy. Also, Continuous Traps now!

Serpent - Making a MD boss monster is tough.  I'm honestly completely on the fence with this one.  It has good stats, it lets you summon off your monsters becoming continuous traps, and it recovers your own resources + it gives pseudo-battle protection as well as having its own protection that makes it as tough to take down as my boi Hazy Flame Basiltrice.  Irl, though, that's... not enough.  It is not a monster that is as "on demand" as other boss monsters, and getting rid of it is as easy to do as taking down my boi Hazy Flame Basiltrice.  UtL, Kaijus.  However, in the AGM, it should make a formidable boss.. again, if you could get it out.  Like I'd alluded to on the outset, it is very easy to screw this deck's plays up by hitting one card, and being able to hit one card with any reliability turn by turn will prevent this card from ever being summoned.  It really doesn't help that it is a tribute summon over a SS from hand effect.  I don't think it would be too broken with the latter, but in that case, maybe bump up the full protection to only be active if you tribute 3 Cont. Traps over 2.

Yeah, probably a bit broken now that it is a SS from hand. I'll do that bump. Also I gave it a different main effect.

3 Odd name Trapmons: I can't really think of anything super notable about each of these as they are a bit side-deck-y and work much better in some matchups than others.  The lack of a level 2 was a bit surprising as even outside this deck, depending on how good it is, it could be sparsed into paleozoic decks.  Out of the three, Metztli is probably the best in-deck, since you can easily activate it then return it to its Set position preventing your opponent from attacking at all.  Tlaloc, though, is definitely the best overall, if you could set it up with another Yolloh.  Maybe some kind of Yolloh/Blackwing lockdown mix.  Speculations aside, these are pretty tame.

...is that a good thing that they're tame? I wanted to give them high stats for staying power, and didn't want to just make 2k DEF walls and make them Level 2 for the sake of it, so I felt that weakness was worth it.

Field Spells: All of them are nice all-around solid cards for what the deck needs.  Being able to tutor out protection when you need it or some extra ATK when necessary is all well and good.  The fact that the first two even have effects when activated enables those aforementioned "Quick Effect into another Field Spell" deal all the better since you'd get the search anyway.  The only really dangerous one, I think, is Tlaxcala.  It is kinda a win condition when combined with Eagle's infinite Field Spell search loop, enabling you to burn for game (300 for each of the three, then use "Wanderer's World" to shuffle them back into the Deck and keep burning for game).  Mixtec has the weakest secondary ability, but it is the best one in helping keep you alive, so can't really fault it.

With the easy Eagle loop removed, I think it's fine now. Debated whether to nerf it even more considering there's still a potential loop there, but....honestly, it requires so much setup, it might as well be an alternate win condition.

Providence: Field Spell protection.  A bit weaker of a card in terms of general use, but excellent in making sure to keep Mixtec alive during your opponent's turn.  This (and the other trap) partially suffer from the fact that the Trapmons aren't continuous traps, (which would enable them to be easier to use from hand) though they also benefit with actually having more zones to work with since the trapmon zones are free.  Again, pick your poison.

Star Signs is.. odd.  I'm not sure if it would work properly, especially with the Trapmons being entirely treated as monsters.  The implication seems like it would allow the Set cards to be activated infinitely because a) they weren't Spells/Traps when they were Set and b) possibly the whole issue on public knowledge/Set cards (i.e. would the "first time" aspect reset?).  Aside from that, it works when it works, but it is probably the only card that I wouldn't deem to be truly "necessary" as a whole for the deck to function.

Hopefully that's been fixed.

Thank you very much for you input. So far, the only main changes have been a slight nerf to Serpent, an Eagle nerf to prevent the lock, and the Traps becoming Continuous again! You did comment on most of the cards as if they had Continuous Traps as well as without, so I think I have a good idea that the last change doesn't break anything. I considered making the cards more functional without eachother, but I think that doesn't stick with the spirit with the prompt, and again, I think the changes are basically buffs at this point.

Thanks a lot for the review! I really appreciated it.

Archived