Subterror Ambush

Ultimagamer

This was an idea that I had, might be interesting for subterrors given that spyrals ended up being so much better in the long run.

Subterror Ambush

Trap - Normal

Target any number of your set “Subterror” monsters: change them to face-up attack or defense position, then flip monsters your opponent controls face-down up to the number of cards flipped face up by this card’s effect. If this card on the field is destroyed by a card effect: you can special summon 1 “Subterror” monster from your hand or graveyard in face-up attack or defense position, or in face-down defense position.

Certainly a good card, definitely helps Subterrors, but I have a few issues with it

It has the same setting effect as Final Battle. Not a huge issue but 1 card with unusual effect in an Archetype is that card's gimmick, but 2 cards with an unusual effect is the Archetype's gimmick. Subterrors's don't have a continuous Trap so why couldn't it be that?

The effect also doesn't feel like any of the other cards that set them back face down. They are generally balanced only around doing 1 thing but you do it every turn like "Scrap-Iron Scarecrow" only stops 1 battle and "Final Battle" only does 1 effect. This card, on the other hand, does a whole bunch of things: Triggers all you Subterror monsters and Flips all your opponent's monster's face down. Not saying a powerful impactful effect can't be on a card that set itself but it's effect more reminiscent of a normal trap card (it's effect is fairly similar to "Sinister Shadow Games" as well) than that of a card that sets itself.

As the floating effect, leaving the field is pretty powerful. How do expect your opponent to play around it? Not saying it should be easy to play around it but there should be some conceivable way to. Basically, no matter what I do you get an effect, I pop it (even with cosmic) you get an effect, I leave it, you get to activate it. I know it annoying having your opponent play around your cards but that's the whole point of the game.

Certainly a good card, definitely helps Subterrors, but I have a few issues with it

It has the same setting effect as Final Battle. Not a huge issue but 1 card with unusual effect in an Archetype is that card's gimmick, but 2 cards with an unusual effect is the Archetype's gimmick. Subterrors's don't have a continuous Trap so why couldn't it be that?

The effect also doesn't feel like any of the other cards that set them back face down. They are generally balanced only around doing 1 thing but you do it every turn like "Scrap-Iron Scarecrow" only stops 1 battle and "Final Battle" only does 1 effect. This card, on the other hand, does a whole bunch of things: Triggers all you Subterror monsters and Flips all your opponent's monster's face down. Not saying a powerful impactful effect can't be on a card that set itself but it's effect more reminiscent of a normal trap card (it's effect is fairly similar to "Sinister Shadow Games" as well) than that of a card that sets itself.

As the floating effect, leaving the field is pretty powerful. How do expect your opponent to play around it? Not saying it should be easy to play around it but there should be some conceivable way to. Basically, no matter what I do you get an effect, I pop it (even with cosmic) you get an effect, I leave it, you get to activate it. I know it annoying having your opponent play around your cards but that's the whole point of the game.

The card was based around ghostrick scare, having a similar effect, replacing ghostrick with subterror. Ghostricks have an easy way to recover their spells and traps, I kinda thought resetting would be better for subterrors, much in the way of final battle. 

I also had ignister in mind, but to be fair, there aren't too many easy ways to out this card without getting free stuff

Changes

1. No longer resets itself

2. Effect only triggers off of destruction, changed to both players rather than only the opponents

The card was based around ghostrick scare, having a similar effect, replacing ghostrick with subterror. Ghostricks have an easy way to recover their spells and traps, I kinda thought resetting would be better for subterrors, much in the way of final battle. 

I also had ignister in mind, but to be fair, there aren't too many easy ways to out this card without getting free stuff

Changes

1. No longer resets itself

2. Effect only triggers off of destruction, changed to both players rather than only the opponents

The floating it a lot better, now you can also trigger it yourself and your opponent can now conceivably play around it.

Sure Final Battle does indeed set the precedent for a card that set itself in Subterrors, but you can either think that's Final Battle's gimmick or Subterror's (as a whole) gimmick. I'm of the former but your opinion may vary.

Archived