Remove the rule against reposting self-deleted statuses

mido9

ff22aabb937ff76a8f3c507e59c5b5af.png

Please.

Basically nobody is going to be bothered by it, the old status is just gone without a trace and doesn't clog up the /statuses/all/ page like new statuses do, the only time you'd actually notice is if you have that person on your friendslist and get a double notification, but even then it's one extra notification every week or something, whatever, right?

Make the rule one unique status per 15 minutes or so, you can't keep your one status up on the sidebar indefinitely by deleting it and reposting it.

It is a simple enough fix, but if I remember correctly, issue came up because some members just deleted their statuses and posted new ones.

Like the rulebook noted, we know that sometimes autocorrect kicks in when it shouldn't, even if you check everything else on your own. 

====

I don't mind changing the rule on it since things do happen, but you need to see how the others feel about that. 

It is a simple enough fix, but if I remember correctly, issue came up because some members just deleted their statuses and posted new ones.

Like the rulebook noted, we know that sometimes autocorrect kicks in when it shouldn't, even if you check everything else on your own. 

====

I don't mind changing the rule on it since things do happen, but you need to see how the others feel about that.

Why is this a problem anyway? It's not spam since the old status gets killed

Why isn't it spam? Either way you're not cluttering up the status bar; you're simply keeping your status up there. What makes this any difference to spamming out statuses?

my kneejerk reaction was that it's a stupid rule entirely, but that is somewhat of a good point, slightly. since there's no way to verify the deleted status's contents, people can abuse it for that.

it's a problem of flooding your friend lists' notifications box while making it difficult to enforce the status limit rule.

tbh it should still be on a case by case basis. if someone's continually deleting their statuses to make more than one per 15 mins then someone who receives notifications from the offending user can submit a report to the mods for notification spam. this particular rule should go.

The problem with exceptions is that it’s very difficult to discern the two based on notifications or reports alone. When it’s obvious that a completely different status is posted, it’s punishable.

What this _does_ make me wonder is if it’s possible to remove deleting statuses from regular members... but playing reposts to fix typos.

But I’m not super fond of anti-deleting anyway.

Why does it need to be there at all

15 minute rule makes sense so people don't spam

But if you kill your old status to make a new one, the number of posts you make literally does not change

it's not spam. 

Sometimes I feel like you guys create rules just to create them and cause problems where none exist

Why does it need to be there at all

15 minute rule makes sense so people don't spam

But if you kill your old status to make a new one, the number of posts you make literally does not change

it's not spam. 

Sometimes I feel like you guys create rules just to create them and cause problems where none exist

Because someone like myself could very easily get around the 15 minute rule by posting and reposting a status every, oh, two-to-five minutes or so with minor differences and just "Oh but it was a typo" each time, and probably a number of ways someone could easily abuse it for the sake of being obnoxious/spamming.

Because someone like myself could very easily get around the 15 minute rule by posting and reposting a status every, oh, two-to-five minutes or so with minor differences and just "Oh but it was a typo" each time, and probably a number of ways someone could easily abuse it for the sake of being obnoxious/spamming.

You clearly didn't read my post cuz this isn't what I'm asking about

I'm going to ask Tormented about a possible fix.  Not for deleting statuses, but editing them.  That would make this whole concern about "oh I made a spelling error, lemee delete" go away at least.

I already asked him about it and he said he might look into it.

Tbh editing statuses would make YCM a better place. I'm already getting spammed with notifications about empty statuses.

90% willing to bet they did it to bloody nose given that they jumped at the first opportunity to throw some WP at me for it

Hi as the one who put up the idea of changing status rules this is a silly thought. The rule was there for uh...almost a month. Certainly not first opportunity to throw some WP at you...not to mention it was a single point.

Anyway overall the idea is.

-Allowing it makes it possible for people to abuse and keep notifying people about statuses and also continuously keep your status in the front page which has the effect of "bumping" other's off of it. Which is basically monopolizing the front page.

-Even if Statuses can't get edited then you can always post a comment fixing the typo and it'd take...actually possibly less time.

Cow I like you, but that word doesn't need mean what you think it does. It's not a monopoly if everyone can do it js

Referring more to how I wasn't even given a verbal warning before people got pt happy

You are right on that though. They perma banned me twice with no WP, so doubt WP have much meaning

Archived