#FreeStratos (Elemental HERO Mesos)

ABC Gun

Artwork: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=677471

4wngalA.jpg
Elemental HERO Mesos (Warrior/WIIND/Level 5/Effect/ATK 2400/DEF 1000)
If you control 2 or more "HERO" monsters, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). You can only Special Summon "Elemental HERO Mesos" once per turn this way. If this card is Special Summoned this way: You can apply 1 of these effects.
● Special Summon 1 "HERO" monster from your Deck, except "Elemental HERO Mesos". It cannot attack directly, also it cannot be used as material, except Fusion Material or Link Material.
● Add 1 "Fusion", "Polymerization" Spell, or "Change" Quick-Play Spell from your Deck to your hand.

​If the OCG can get Elemental HERO Stratos at 1 then why can't we? Well, if Konami won't put Stratos to 1, then they can deal with Stratos' older brother, whose better than he is. This card might be a Level 5 Elemental HERO (Eddie Griffin says "Sacrilege"), but its also WIND which HEROES need more of, it can Special Summon itself easily as long as you control 2 HEROES, and its effect when Special Summoned this way has tons of potential for HEROES. If you choose the top effect to Special Summon ANY HERO you want, you can combo by Summoning Elemental HERO Shadow Mist or Blazeman, either of them searches a Fusion, Polymerization, or Change Spell that this card's other effect would have done, or just use the other effect. The first effects restrictions against using HEROES only as Fusion or Link Material is because Xtra HERO Wonder Driver exists and I thought it wouldn't be smart to exclude the only HERO Link Monster (so far) from being supported for modern HERO Decks, also it wouldn't hurt HEROES to explore Link spamming as you can only Special Summon any of the HERO Fusions to either the Extra Monster Zone or a zone pointed to by a Link Monster. One thing, this card's effect that states "If this card is Special Summoned this way" meaning its first Summoning condition, then that's it

This being Level 5 does make it awkward and also prevents it from being supported by the majority of HERO support cards (think A Hero Lives or HERO's Bond) and I admit that, but I did this because I wanted HEROES to have a better version of Stratos and to do this I had to make some critical decisions. A good reason why I did this is because I could make a HERO support card that does something HEROES have needed for a while now, easy access to any HERO from the Deck especially the higher Level ones like Elemental HERO Honest Neos. I didn't stick with Stratos' Spell/Trap destruction only because that effect is tricky to use (you need to control other HEROES besides Stratos to use it), and on top of that it relies too much on your opponent having an equal number of Spell/Traps to the monsters you control and in the modern game that's just not very feasible. Not to mention more searching for the Spells that HEROES need and love is more than welcomed.

Not a fan of your design decisions for this card. The effect is strong, but also it's slightly situational to Summon, and thus feels more of an overkill, or "win more", card. I mean, while HEROes have little trouble getting 2+ HEROes on board, this is only live when you do, but if you don't or your play is disrupted... you are stuck with this, and that's undesirable. Then, as you pointed out, Level5 makes it less cohesive with the archetype. Finally, personally I don't like the Monarch stats you put in there, feels a lot like a "because I can" thing to do when it doesn't really benefit from it since trying to add Monarch support with it most likely wouldn't work well.

I would rather have a Stratos retrain with a hard OPT on its effect before this.

Not a fan of your design decisions for this card. The effect is strong, but also it's slightly situational to Summon, and thus feels more of an overkill, or "win more", card. I mean, while HEROes have little trouble getting 2+ HEROes on board, this is only live when you do, but if you don't or your play is disrupted... you are stuck with this, and that's undesirable. Then, as you pointed out, Level5 makes it less cohesive with the archetype. Finally, personally I don't like the Monarch stats you put in there, feels a lot like a "because I can" thing to do.

I would rather have a Stratos retrain with a hard OPT on its effect before this.

I did think about retraining Stratos, but I wasn't satisfied with what I was coming up with, so I thought about making a Level 5 "big brother" for Stratos instead. One combo to Summon this card (and its pretty awful); Normal Summon Destiiny HERO - Drilldark, with Drilldark's effect Special Summon Destiny HERO - Malicious, then Special Summon this card. Afterwards, Special Summon Elemental HERO Shadow Mist with Mesos' effect, then Link Summon Xtra HERO Wonder Driver with Drilldark and Shadow Mist. Use Mask Change on Malicious to Special Summon Masked HERO Dark Law beneath Wonder Driver, use Wonder Driver's Effect to get back that Mask Change. Banish Malicious from your GY to Special Summon another from your Deck, send Malicious and Wonder Driver to the GY for any Link-3 Link Monster, then use that Mask Change on Meso to Special Summon either Masked HERO Blast or Divine Wind. I know, this combo is bad but its the best I could come up with on the fly.

A definitely good add to HEROes. I've always thought HERO decks, most of the time, inconsistent with their draws (Not talking about Masked Heroes). I always had trouble of drawing the card I want in HERO decks and they always come at the worst times. And there are times when you don't have Poly (talking about my experience) and have to deal with the opponent summoning away huge beatsticks. So, this is amust for me in HERO decks, not only it is a high ATK hero monster, it can bring other heroes hidden in your decks whether you want a hero that has a good effect that you would need right now or just bring out good old Neos.

This card can see so many plays, and can make Evil hero decks much better, and it also makes summoning high level heroes easier to summon.. But like you said, I could also see this card being limited to 1. It is that good.

Archived