Photo

Rocknight - Synchro Aggro Done Differently

- - - - - LEGACY

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts
    Last Visit Today, 08:11 AM
Thought process, design notes, I doubt you care

So, without further ado: Rocknights.

Main Deck monsters

Spells/Traps

Extra Deck

!POH POH ,TAEN SKOOL ORUKORAHCAG
I'm also on DeviantART
I'm in the AGM, as its founder
Oh, and CowCow says I'm a Tyrunt.One of these days I will evolve . . .
But I am a Pokémon of my own

Posted Image

November/December AGM Deck Challenge:
Burn damage OR single-card support!
PM me for more details on AGM Deck Challenges, for your chance at 1000 Points!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts
Bump, with a few explanations on why things are the way they are now that Rocknights have been accepted into the AGM:

"What's up with the Level 4 monsters?"-- I doubt anyone noticed, but all 3 Level 4 Main Deck Rocknights have a combined ATK and DEF of exactly 2900. This was no accident. The Fungal Serpents Field Spell, "Damp Den of the Fungal Serpents", can search for any EARTH monster whose combined stats exactly equal 2900 once per turn, as that is that archetype's gimmick. This way, you can run a small Fungal Serpents engine and effectively have 3 pseudo-Upstarts that, depending on the situation, you can even leave on the field to grab more Level 4 Rocknights on your next turn, or cycle through 3 in your opening hand to quickly get some plays set up. I do this a lot in AGM archetypes wanting for consistency, or even in cases where I think a given card/archetype might do well to make friends with the mushroom snakes.

"Shuffling into the Deck?"-- This was honestly for two reasons; one was in the archetype's favor, the other was to limit its power. Basically, a big thing with banishing monsters is that pure Rocknights have no way to reclaim said resources in-archetype, so that kinda kills the archetype's ability to continuously make combos on a turn-by-turn basis, kinda notable given that the Synchro era notably featured a lot more of the grind game. However, what pushed me towards shuffling specifically is the ridiculous amount of generic "get thing back from the Banished Zone" in the AGM, which I had to be careful not to give to Rocknights if I ever wanted them in.

"Why not give the archetype X from-Deck superspam card equivalent?"-- Okay, pure honesty here: I absolutely intended an equivalent to Tengu, Mali, Lonefire, or Infernity Beetle. However, I couldn't figure out how exactly to blend one into the archetype in such a way that it wouldn't stick out horribly, and even worse, it might make for disgusting levels of spam/consistency. We already have a better Palomuro, a Bora that is also a slightly nerfed Firedog, a Gale, and a Quillbolt that doesn't require a Tuner. Also, I never intended on making a Level Eater, for reasons that should be obvious.

"You could've made X card better if you gave its other effect(s) a HOPT!" -- That'd be against flavor for an archetype designed as a pseudo-5Ds archetype. And before you bring up Lancers, that was a limitation that needed to be made to prevent utter stupidity.

I also have, for anyone who cares, what can be called the best opening play for pure Rocknights, assuming that they went second and their opponent has a monster with at least 2800 ATK on board that can be targeted for cards/ effects and no available disruption.

Opening hand:
Phalanx, Scout, Archer, Reinforcements, Backup Force, Sculptor

1. Discard Scout, search Ruined Citadel
2. Activate Ruined Citadel and Sculptor
3. Summon Backup Force, revive Scout (1 GC each on Citadel and Sculptor)
4. Reinforcements effect, Summon from hand (2 GC)
5. Sculptor effect, search Reclamation Crew
6. SS Phalanx (3 GC)
7. SS Archer (4 GC)
8. Archer's effect, target an opponent's monster and make it weaker, place GC (4 on Citadel, 5 on Sculptor)
9. Use Backup, Scout, and Reinforcements to make Strategist. Use on- Summon effect if possible, laugh if you hit something like Blue-Eyes (5,7+)
10. SS Reclamation, use effect to revive Reinforcements, place GC (7,10+)
11. Use Phalanx and Archer to make General, pop a card if you think you need to (8,11+)
12. Use Reclamation and General to make a second Strategist (9,12+)
13. Use the first Strategist's eff to revive Archer (10, 13+)
14. Use Archer's effect (10, 14+)
15. Use Archer and Reinforcements to Summon Baron (11, 15+)
16. Use the second Strategist, bring back Archer again (12, 16+)
17. Use Archer's effect (12, 17+)
18. Make third Strategist (13, 18+)
19. Use third Strategist to revive General (14, 19+)
20. Enter Battle Phase, use General's eff (14, 23+)
21. Go for the OTK. If you fail, feel free to draw 5+ cards with Sculptor, and bring out Guardian from the Deck during the End Phase.
I'm also on DeviantART

Posted Image

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,899 posts
One final bump before I give up on trying to get reviews.
I'm also on DeviantART

Posted Image

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users