Curse Seal Dragon [Ritual Monster] [Reposted in Multiples, Please Lock]

Chiz Fri

I want to go ahead and explain why I made this card and what I imagined its use is before showing it and its Ritual Spell off.

This Ritual Pair was inspired by "Darkness Approaches" in that they flip monsters face-down without changing Battle Position. I designed them to be a pseudo-Kaiju; they target, but they also can get rid of a threat that can be targeted while allowing for some damage potential. I can see this being used on key playmaker cards like "SPYRAL Super Agent," "Timestar Magician," etc.

I had a bit of trouble balancing giving this guy a free Direct Attack, but I'd say halving Battle Damage would suffice. It puts pressure on your opponent to deal with this card without threatening game in three or fewer turns.

I also plan on making more in this archetype, but for now I feel posting it in singles and then moving it to multiples once the rest of the cards are ready would help me gauge interest and take feedback on the mechanic.

Without further ado, here is the Pair:

[spoiler=Curse Seal Dragon]

fe1mcx.jpg

Curse Seal Dragon

DARK Dragon/Ritual/Effect

Level 8

ATK: 2800 / DEF: 400

"This card must first be Ritual Summoned by the effect of “Curse Seal Release.” Once per turn (Quick Effect), if your opponent activates a Spell or Trap effect during your turn, you can negate the activation and destroy that card. If you do, target 1 Monster your opponent controls: Flip that card face-down (it does not change battle position); It’s ATK and DEF is treated as 0 and it has no name, Attribute, Type, Level, or effect, it cannot change battle position, and it is not flipped face-up during the Damage Step of a battle involving “Curse Seal” monsters you control. Your opponent takes half Battle Damage from battles involving that card."

[spoiler=Curse Seal Release]

2ch8755.png

Curse Seal Release

Ritual Spell

"This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Curse Seal” Ritual Monster from your hand or GY. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal or exceed the Level of the Ritual Monster you Ritual Summon. When your opponent activates a Monster effect that targets 1 or more of your “Curse Seal” monsters: Banish this card from your GY, then negate the activation of that Monster’s effect and flip it face-down (it does not change battle position). Its ATK and DEF are treated as 0 and it has no name, Attribute, Type, Level, or effect, it cannot change battle position, and it is not flipped face-up during the Battle Step of a battle involving “Curse Seal” monsters you control. Your opponent takes half Battle Damage from battles involving that card."

Since you asked for a review yesterday, might as well do it.

Monster itself is technically fine, but yeah, we are going into territory where no definitive rulings exist [and should probably be in Experimental]. To be honest, Konami never bothered with it until Link era and only then issued an errata that technically altered how it works. I get what it's supposed to be doing though; the opponent's monster is essentially nothing. Though yeah, I mentioned Link era because of Link Monsters (you know what these are, right?). You may have to add an exclusion clause about it, because again, they're literally why Konami errata'd Darkness Approaches. 

Ritual Spell is good enough for what it does, though without seeing the rest of the archetype, it's hard to tell if the revival from GY thing is abusable. Also because Dragon itself is semi-Nomi, you don't really have to resummon it via this unless it got Strike'd or something. The latter half of what I said for Dragon about how this interacts with Links and stuff also applies.

Half damage against the targeted monster seems fair.

=====

So basically, you should take Xyz and Link Monsters into account since they both exist, and latter can't be flipped face-down due to their markers and stuff. Xyz don't have that problem, but have no Levels (however this should be a given by now).

For a start, it's fine, but the rest of the stuff you make can probably break these, but as you haven't actually made them yet, we don't know.

EDIT: You have made the others, but I did not consider them since they weren't in here. Would be better if you just post your sets inside Advanced Multiples, given how dead DP tends to be.

Archived