Necrophasm a new take on Gemini monsters

Perry Ellis.

Necrophasm is an archetype of Gemini monsters based on Spirits in a haunted house. The archetype's gimmick revolves around XYZ summoning the archetype's boss monsters with your opponent's monsters, basically "possessing" them in order to do so. the archetype also includes gemini/ normal monster support. 

[spoiler=Main Deck monsters]

Necrophasm Weeping Anne

DARK | Level 4 | Gemini | Zombie | Effect

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

•           While this card is face up, you take no Battle Damage. An XYZ Monster that whose original Type is Zombie and has this card as material gains this effect:

• If this card is Targeted by a card effect: shuffle 1 card you control into the deck, Negate the effect and if you do, destroy that card.

0/1000

Writer’s Note: Weeping Anne helps provide battle damage protection for you since the main deck Necrophasm monsters all have 0 attack. She also combos well with the trap Necrophasm Possession, making it so your opponent can’t destroy your monsters or inflict damage. Her 2nd effect helps you keep your XYZ monsters out on the field longer.

Necrophasm Madd Carol

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect.

•           While this card is face up, “Necrophasm” cards cannot be destroyed by card effects. An XYZ Monster that whose original Type is Zombie and has this card as material gains this effect:

• If this card would be destroyed (by battle or by card effect), you can banish 1 Zombie monster from your GY instead.

0/1000

Writer’s Note: Madd Carol helps prevent effect destruction for all of your Necrophasm cards, this helps protect both your field spell and your continuous trap that prevents your opponent from targeted your monsters with attacks. Its second effect is just another protection effect, this time from battle.

Necrophasm Screeching Mary

•           While this card is face up, non-Zombie monsters cannot be moved from the GY. An XYZ Monster that whose original Type is Zombie and has this card as material gains this effect:

• Once per turn (Quick Effect): you can return 1 banished card to the GY, and if you do, Target 1 face up card on your opponent’s field; return it to their hand.

0/1000

Writer’s Note: Screeching Mary acts as a Necrovalley for zombie type monsters while face up on the field, and provides the first offensive effect allowing you to grab back any banished Necrophasm cards and returns a card to the Hand.

Necrophasm Creeping Lydia

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with this effect:

•           While this card is face up, non-Zombie monsters cannot attack the turn they are summoned. An XYZ Monster that whose original Type is Zombie and has this card as material gains this effect

• if this card battles an opponent’s monster, before Damage Calculation: attach that card to this card as a XYZ material. This card cannot activate effects for the rest of the turn.

0/1000.

Writer’s Note: Lydia helps provide you with further battle protection and if sued in conjunction with supervise can help you get to the next turn. Her 2nd effect really helps out the archetype in that you will mostly be XYZ summoning with only 1 Necrophasm and your opponent’s monster, this helps your monster be able to keep their Necrophasm effects while also being able to activate their XYZ monster effects.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]

Necrophasm Ghastly Marie

XYZ | DARK | Rank 3 | Zombie | Effect

2+ Level 3 monsters (1 “Necrophasm” monster Min)

If you XYZ summon this card by using a monster that is owned by your opponent as material, both monster’s Levels are treated as 3. While you control a Gemini monster, this card is treated as a Normal Monster. Once per turn during your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): you can detach 1 material from this card, target 1 monster your opponent controls; your opponent cannot Special Summon monsters with less DEF than that monster until the End Phase.

1700/0

Writer’s Note: Since the archetype is made up of level 4 monsters, the XYZ monsters outside rank 4 for the archetype all have a clause that allows you to XYZ summon them if you are also using your opponent’s monster to do so. Because of this their effects are also a little bit more powerful than their Rank 4 counterparts. Ghastly Marie acts as a pseudo “Tesudo Erat Numen” but the limit is decided upon by your opponent basically, forcing them to play certain cards that they might not want to play.

Necrophasm Bloody Eve

XYZ | DARK | Rank 4 | Zombie | Effect

2+ Level 4 monsters

If you XYZ summon this card by using a monster that is owned by your opponent as material, that monster’s Level is treated as 4. While you control a Gemini monster, this card is treated as a Normal Monster. Once per turn during your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): you can detach 1 material from this card, declare a card type (Monster, Spell, Trap), until the End Phase both players can only add cards of that type to the hand (except by drawing).

2100/0

Writer’s Note: Bloody Eve is acts as a limiter for what your opponent can search, for example, let’s say your opponent activates “Union Hanger”, this would prompt a search for a monster card. You could chain that effect and make it so your opponent could only search Traps or Spells for the rest of the turn thus negating “Hangar’s” search effect.

Necrophasm Serrated Jacqueline

XYZ | DARK | Rank 5 | Zombie | Effect

2+ Level 5 monsters (1 “Necrophasm” monster Min)

If you XYZ summon this card by using a monster that is owned by your opponent as material, both monster’s Level is treated as 5. While you control a Gemini monster, this card is treated as a Normal Monster. Once per turn during your opponent’s turn (Quick Effect): you can detach 1 material from this card, target 1 card in your opponent’s GY; banish cards in your opponent’s hand, field or Deck with the same name.

2500/0

Writer’s Note: I’ve been playing Duel links a lot and recently chain destruction was added to the game, so I decided to add a chain destruction like effect to the archetype but improved upon it by banishing the cards instead of destroying them.

[spoiler=Spells]

Necrophasm Manor

Field Spell

Face up Gemini Monsters are treated as Normal Monsters, even if Summoned twice. You can only activate the following effects once per turn:

•           (Quick Effect): you can move 1 “Necrophasm” monster to an unoccupied Main Monster zone.

•           If you control only Normal Monsters (Min 1): Special Summon 1 “Necrophasm” monster from your Deck in Defense Position. You cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of the turn except Zombie monsters.

Writer’s Note: Manor is definitely a 3 of when playing Necrophasms, as it is the only way to special summon Necrophasms currently. While on the surface this card might not seem too powerful, it actually acts as the center piece for the archetype’s Spells and Traps.

Necrophasm Disturbance

Quick Play Spell

Target 1  “Necrophasm” monster you control  and a Level monster(s) in the same column as a “Necrophasm” monster your opponent’s side of the field. XYZ summon 1 “Necrophasm” monster using the targeted monsters as material. During the Main Phase after this card is sent to the GY: you can banish this card from the GY, shuffle up to 3 “Necrophasm” cards from your GY into the Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate each effect of “Necrophasm Disturbance” once per turn.

Writer’s Note:  One of the 2 ways currently that allows you to XYZ summon outside of Rank 4s. it also helps you recycle any Necrophasm cards in the GY.

[spoiler=Traps]

Necrophasm Possession

Continuous Trap

When this card is activated, Target any number of  “Necrophasm” monster you control  and a Level monster(s) in the same column as a “Necrophasm” monster(s) your opponent’s side of the field. XYZ summon 1 “Necrophasm” monster using the targeted monsters as material, and if you do, add 1 “Necrophasm” card from your Deck to your hand for each card used as material. If you control only Normal monsters, your opponent cannot target them for attacks, but this does not stop your opponent from attacking directly.

Writer’s Note: Possession is probably the best back row card the archetype has. It steals your opponent’s monster, allows you to use multiple Necrophasms in addition to your opponent’s monster to help you XYZ Summon outside Rank 4,  searches, and prevents your opponent from attacking your Necrophasms.

Necrophasm Haunting

Normal Trap

If all monsters you control are Normal Monsters (min. 1): Target 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; until the end of this turn it loses 500 ATK and DEF, also it cannot be used as a material for an Extra Deck Summon except for a “Necrophasm” monster. If “Necrophasm Manor”  is on the field you can activate this card from the hand. You can only activate the effects of “Necrophasm Haunting” once per turn.

Writer’s Note: Hand Traps are fun so I decided to give the archetype another gimmick similar to the Spiral Phantasm traps. This one helps limit your opponent’s extra deck summons.

Necrophasm Hex

Normal Trap

If all monsters you control are Normal Monsters (min. 1): Target 1 Effect Monster your opponent controls; until the end of this turn, negate its effects, also inflict 1000 damage. If “Necrophasm Manor”  is on the field you can activate this card from the hand. You can only activate the effects of “Necrophasm Haunting” once per turn.

Writer’s Note: Effect negator plus damage.

Hey, Gemini Zombies!  Nice!

I noticed that the gimmick seems to be focusing on the aspect that they're Normal monsters rather than trying to get around the typical Gemini limitation and turboing them out while giving them oppressive effects to compensate.  In that respect, it is definitely unique in its handling and I can definitely appreciate the slower more "old school" thing you've got going on here.

That said, I don't think there's enough means of getting them on the field to be really viable.  The field spell does an excellent job at putting resources on the board and manipulating as much as possible to get value, but without it, the Deck kinda keels over.  If you can get through that barrier of a slow start, I can definitely see these being quite something.

Each of the Xyzs are really good to the point of possibly being too good (Bloody Eve in particular might be a bit too good.  It's a bit reminiscent of Shock Master, but also happens to have the ability to stack with another Eve to prevent searches entirely for the turn).  The regular monsters on-field effects are ok, but the effects they give to Xyzs (which, notably, they don't have to be normal summoned again to provide these effects I believe) could be especially interesting.  In particular, Mary would be really necessary for the deck's staying power since it would allow the Xyzs to recycle Mezuki to extend their plays/Shiranuis to use their effects again.

Possession is really good, especially if you place your monsters in the columns with the Extra Monster Zones, but its a bit circumstantial since swarming power is, again, not that great and your opponent can play around it.  The interaction between it and the field spell is really clever though.  The other three cards are ok and help out under certain scenarios, but are probably not ones that are necessary to run at 3.

Overall really interesting set.  I could definitely see these being made and they have a very unique gimmick and playstyle.  Overall, if you were to expand these, I"d just hope you make some way to get more out on the field quicker (or at least get them into the GY for other Zombie support to help boost 'em).  Cheers!

Hey, Gemini Zombies!  Nice!

I noticed that the gimmick seems to be focusing on the aspect that they're Normal monsters rather than trying to get around the typical Gemini limitation and turboing them out while giving them oppressive effects to compensate.  In that respect, it is definitely unique in its handling and I can definitely appreciate the slower more "old school" thing you've got going on here.

That said, I don't think there's enough means of getting them on the field to be really viable.  The field spell does an excellent job at putting resources on the board and manipulating as much as possible to get value, but without it, the Deck kinda keels over.  If you can get through that barrier of a slow start, I can definitely see these being quite something.

Each of the Xyzs are really good to the point of possibly being too good (Bloody Eve in particular might be a bit too good.  It's a bit reminiscent of Shock Master, but also happens to have the ability to stack with another Eve to prevent searches entirely for the turn).  The regular monsters on-field effects are ok, but the effects they give to Xyzs (which, notably, they don't have to be normal summoned again to provide these effects I believe) could be especially interesting.  In particular, Mary would be really necessary for the deck's staying power since it would allow the Xyzs to recycle Mezuki to extend their plays/Shiranuis to use their effects again.

Possession is really good, especially if you place your monsters in the columns with the Extra Monster Zones, but its a bit circumstantial since swarming power is, again, not that great and your opponent can play around it.  The interaction between it and the field spell is really clever though.  The other three cards are ok and help out under certain scenarios, but are probably not ones that are necessary to run at 3.

Overall really interesting set.  I could definitely see these being made and they have a very unique gimmick and playstyle.  Overall, if you were to expand these, I"d just hope you make some way to get more out on the field quicker (or at least get them into the GY for other Zombie support to help boost 'em).  Cheers!

First off thank you for the review, thank you for noticing the more traditional style that I was going for. in my opinion the way to make these secondary monster types good is to just go back to the basics about them and build around that. 

I thought it might be a good idea to limit their SS ability due to the 3 card lock of Anne, the field spell, and possession, but ill think of a couple ways that I could enhance the archetype in that way!

Archived