Restructuring the Mod Team

Blake

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does misc/debates/general need a specific mod?

The forum has long since agreed that section mods were an archaic an ineffectual system, and nothing against Dad, but he didn't do anything for the sections that showed special merit above the rest of the team.

I'd say give it a bit of time, if the current team is unable to handle the workload with one less person, then look into expanding it, but knee-jerk replacements aren't going to do anyone any good.

Answering that question, no, though Dad was generally the only moderator willing to handle the Debates area on a regular basis, given its nature. 

At the present time, it's somewhat simmered down so one of us can theoretically step in if something happens (only active topic in that area right now is the merger thread). Polls/Blogs don't require much oversight and neither does the C&O area.

I think we should be fine for the time being without a replacement, given this. But we'll address it if the need comes up.

Only issue I would say needs to be handled between General and Debates is that volatile topics are still posted in General when they would be more appropriate for Debates, so while it does not need a dedicated mod to do so, I would prefer if the current team took more of an initiative to distinguish whether some threads are more appropriate.

I wouldn't even really say that the merger thread is particularly active. I post whatever news I find, and while Striker, Dad, or Winter do respond on occasion, it's largely me. That's not exactly an active debate.

Only issue I would say needs to be handled between General and Debates is that volatile topics are still posted in General when they would be more appropriate for Debates, so while it does not need a dedicated mod to do so, I would prefer if the current team took more of an initiative to distinguish whether some threads are more appropriate.

I wouldn't even really say that the merger thread is particularly active. I post whatever news I find, and while Striker, Dad, or Winter do respond on occasion, it's largely me. That's not exactly an active debate.

I had no idea why it was in Debates so can't say much about that.

....Also I call dibs on Polls

I'm not sure why it's in Debates either; only reason that comes to mind is probably due to the government (DoJ) being involved in said merger. You'd probably have to ask Dad for the precise reasoning. May be alright to move it now since it isn't generating a debate (I just briefly read it over). 

Moving forward, we can be more discriminate about what goes into Debates and what stays around in regular General. Though, outside Polls nowadays, rest of the area usually doesn't get much activity so it shouldn't be too difficult. 

I brought up the discussion in the mod area a little while ago; hopefully it gets a response in a timely manner. But yeah, Dad just resigned so nothing's been done yet outside of bringing up a potential successor. 

But in the meantime, anyone you guys think would be a good choice to replace him for General/Debates?

o1vdpN4.gif

I did it before and had overall a pretty good run. Wouldn't mind doing it again if there's no opposition from the memberbase and if y'all will have me. Can't really think of anyone else I'd like to see as General/Debates mod, but if a name comes up that I think would be good in a "now that you mention it" way, I'll probably either pop back in to say so or just rep the post.

o1vdpN4.gif

I did it before and had overall a pretty good run. Wouldn't mind doing it again if there's no opposition from the memberbase and if y'all will have me. Can't really think of anyone else I'd like to see as General/Debates mod, but if a name comes up that I think would be good in a "now that you mention it" way, I'll probably either pop back in to say so or just rep the post.

You may have misunderstood Sakura's post but we're not looking for someone right now. If it comes up then we'll let you know.

With how the section is now I have no concerns about keeping an eye on it.

I'm not sure why it's in Debates either; only reason that comes to mind is probably due to the government (DoJ) being involved in said merger. You'd probably have to ask Dad for the precise reasoning. May be alright to move it now since it isn't generating a debate (I just briefly read it over). 

Moving forward, we can be more discriminate about what goes into Debates and what stays around in regular General. Though, outside Polls nowadays, rest of the area usually doesn't get much activity so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Apologies if I caused any confusion, but when I referred to distinguishing between General and Debates threads, I was thinking of the Three Californias thread, which I believe should be in Debates. I originally posted my merger thread in Debates regardless of the DoJ's involvement because I felt the subject of corporate mergers, and the risk of monopolies, was more relevant to Debates, and I've since grown to see it as similar to the Trump Administration Actions thread as far as providing news is concerned. That was a decision I made on my own, so I'm comfortable keeping the thread in Debates, although if you believe it should be moved to General, I would also be okay with that.

You may have misunderstood Sakura's post but we're not looking for someone right now. If it comes up then we'll let you know.

With how the section is now I have no concerns about keeping an eye on it.

I do understand that the team is not looking, but if it is eventually decided that the team may need another member, I'd rather offer suggestions now if it would help expedite that potential decision.

If Yui wants to rejoin the team, I would be okay with that, and I'd also like to suggest Striker. While there's admittedly not too many people active in General/Debates beyond a handful of regulars, Striker is easily someone I would trust most to handle that section. Considering some recent threads discussing with him, such as my merger thread, or his thread about the proposal to split California, he's always maintained a calm composure while treating the various perspectives in a discussion with equal measures of respect.

While the idea of assigning mods to particular sections is indeed a relic from an older time of this site, a better way to put it is that we would be best served having a mod with a vested interest in doing the best they could for given sections. Neither Yui nor Striker would be a mod "assigned" to General or its subsections, including Debates, but they are people I believe would support that section regardless.

Not a fan of the mods assigning cronies to any section again

I don't like assigned positions overall...exceptmebeingrpmod, but I'm unsure what you mean with this. Specifically cause of the "cronies" bit. Do you mean not a fan of promoting people to be in charge of specific sections or just the idea of section mods in general?...Not "General", for clarity.

I don't like assigned positions overall...exceptmebeingrpmod, but I'm unsure what you mean with this. Specifically cause of the "cronies" bit. Do you mean not a fan of promoting people to be in charge of specific sections or just the idea of section mods in general?...Not "General", for clarity.

Debates doesn't need a mod nor should it be modded.

I mean this, and any new mods should be chosen by election

Spoiler we don't need any new mods

So basically nothing will change

I suppose I should just be greatful we're not going back to the days where Mods just picked their RP friends to be new mods

As someone who literally read through the entire mod forum history.

When was this? Because you better not be referring to what I think you're referring to given that your information on that was just incorrect.

As someone who literally read through the entire mod forum history.

When was this? Because you better not be referring to what I think you're referring to given that your information on that was just incorrect.

Alfred & Crab

Although Aix and Roxas days sucked too

Zai situation was kinda shifty

Was that a threat? "Better not be"

Alfred & Crab

Although Aix and Roxas days sucked too

Zai situation was kinda shifty

Was that a threat? "Better not be"

No it wasn't a threat it was a "I really hope you have a leg to stand on".

As for Alfred and Crab...*shrugs* too irrelevant to really discuss. There were like 20 mods at a time back in the day lol

Roxas was a mod from....yeeeears ago and I'm not even sure how prevalent the RPing was in that.

But Aix actually did a lot of good in the forum while he was active. He was also put in TO mod RP so that's ridiculous.

As for Zai...which RP buddies do you think put him in? Cause Roxas didn't even interact with Zai. Dad and him get along but I don't think Zai was Dad's first choice even then.

No it wasn't a threat it was a "I really hope you have a leg to stand on".

As for Alfred and Crab...*shrugs* too irrelevant to really discuss. There were like 20 mods at a time back in the day lol

Roxas was a mod from....yeeeears ago and I'm not even sure how prevalent the RPing was in that.

But Aix actually did a lot of good in the forum while he was active. He was also put in TO mod RP so that's ridiculous.

As for Zai...which RP buddies do you think put him in? Cause Roxas didn't even interact with Zai. Dad and him get along but I don't think Zai was Dad's first choice even then.

Fine, let's just go with the last one then. Night and Evil basically said they had a "good feeling" about Zai and pushed him into the role. I don't mind Broken, but once again the mod team just selected him. (Not RP)

I really hope you guys don't just select people and tell us, here's how it's going to be

Uh... Alfred and Roxas were both added by Icy. At different points. And not due to friendship.

Wharheit's PM from 2009 really suggested otherwise. I left the PM, but Polaris should still be in it. There's been a lot of shady stuff that I'd rather not bring up, and would rather not re-live

Archived