Mental Health

ÆƵ–

Hiya folks welcome to the mental health thread where we talk about... well, mental health. 

Anyways, my mental health is kinda... eh? Mild depression with major motivation loss and as of yesterday I had a dissociative episode. Good thing tho is that I have access to healthcare and in fact might be going to talk to my doc about some pills to pop on Friday.

anyhow, let's chat about mental health. Maybe even have some forum-group therapy.  

I'm a pretty chronically unstable person with a mood that rises and falls more than the tides. Not to the extent of being bipolar, but I have way too much emotional baggage to ever be consistent for any period of time. I've been feeling a lot better lately, mood-wise, but I just traded overwhelming depression and despair for another kind of crazy entirely (unless you don't consider absolute, borderline religious devotion to be crazy), so it's hard to say my mental health is objectively any better. All the signs are pointing up, as I'm far more motivated to better myself as a result, but it still feels like I'm going off the deep end. I'm just completely losing myself in my impulses, desires, thoughts, and feelings.

I guess I'm lucky that "losing myself" ended up being something so positive rather than self-destructive, as it is for so many other people. I just hope it doesn't end up being a house of cards that'll collapse in on itself and ruin everything I have going for me.

I'm a pretty chronically unstable person with a mood that rises and falls more than the tides. Not to the extent of being bipolar, but I have way too much emotional baggage to ever be consistent for any period of time. I've been feeling a lot better lately, mood-wise, but I just traded overwhelming depression and despair for another kind of crazy entirely (unless you don't consider absolute, borderline religious devotion to be crazy), so it's hard to say my mental health is objectively any better. All the signs are pointing up, as I'm far more motivated to better myself as a result, but it still feels like I'm going off the deep end. I'm just completely losing myself in my impulses, desires, thoughts, and feelings.

I guess I'm lucky that "losing myself" ended up being something so positive rather than self-destructive, as it is for so many other people. I just hope it doesn't end up being a house of cards that'll collapse in on itself and ruin everything I have going for me.

I should introduce him to the pleasures of Nihilism 

Of the 3 of us, one of us is a well of Millionaire. You decide who you want to listen to

You really divert threads, don't you?

Survivor's mentality. I also don't know how much of your life is accurate since you said you have a daughter in wedlock and complained about the amount of debt you're in, but mention that you're a well off millionaire?

A sign of mental illness is the perpetuation of a life grander than one that is already lived, as there comes a point where lies fabricated make life so much more than it actually is.

Winter, I do hope that you're okay, but having money and finding no joy in life is a terrible way to live, in my opinion. You're constantly pushing people away and going against your own words, especially since like 2 months ago before Thar was banned, you were saying that we should care for our people and then you verbally made fun of him two days okay.

If I have to say anything to you, as a person, please get help.

I'm personally of the belief that everyone is funked up in the head and needs help. Some more than others.

I know I have my fair share of issues, and I wish I had someone properly trained to deal with them to talk to about them. I do find that going over your issues in your head/with someone close to you can help you better come to terms with them and help you on the path to managing them, though.

That eliminates both of us

Oh, no, I absolutely want to be alive right now. I want to better myself as a person and be the best I can be. And if that falters, I still have a god to live for. I'm drawing motivation from two things right now- myself, and something greater.

I've never wanted to be alive more than I do now.

You really divert threads, don't you?

Survivor's mentality. I also don't know how much of your life is accurate since you said you have a daughter in wedlock and complained about the amount of debt you're in, but mention that you're a well off millionaire?

A sign of mental illness is the perpetuation of a life grander than one that is already lived, as there comes a point where lies fabricated make life so much more than it actually is.

Winter, I do hope that you're okay, but having money and finding no joy in life is a terrible way to live, in my opinion. You're constantly pushing people away and going against your own words, especially since like 2 months ago before Thar was banned, you were saying that we should care for our people and then you verbally made fun of him two days okay.

If I have to say anything to you, as a person, please get help.

I wasn't aware that I was hurting him TBH. I'll talk to him, cuz that was certainly not the intent

I do worry about others, that's one of the reasons why I befriended snatch when the rest of y'all were awful to him

Y'all don't even understand nihilism, not sure it's fair for you guys to pan it based on a few ramblings from Hina

I wasn't aware that I was hurting him TBH. I'll talk to him, cuz that was certainly not the intent

I do worry about others, that's one of the reasons why I befriended snatch when the rest of y'all were awful to him

Y'all don't even understand nihilism, not sure it's fair for you guys to pan it based on a few ramblings from Hina

Nihilism isn't that hard to grasp, Nietzsche and Heidigger are big observers of nihilism. Hell, nihilism isn't even something to appreciate for this form of conversation. It is a tool to build foundation upon, especially in societal differences. It was never used as an outlook of life, but a way to surmise perspective of the bigger problems. From a personal level, that is a heinous perspective since the bigger and smaller matters in life are matters to an individual. A person should not build their outlook on nihilism if they are looking to build an introspective outlook.

EDIT: Neitzche wasn't a proponent, that was wrong. He was someone who broke it down into the importance of it. Wrong word used.

My mental health isn't great. I think most people here who pay attention have noticed this by now, and a good subset of them have some idea as for why. I think that only a few people here understand the extent to which I am damaged, but I'm alright with that. It definitely makes it a little bit easier to visit this forum.

My issues largely are based around self-worth. It's not like I have a generally low opinion of myself, I know that I am talented in many things I try, often from the very start. I'm comfortable with my own appearance, and I know that my social skills are well above average, especially for the circles I find myself a part of.

From what I can tell, a large part of the problem is my lack of ability to internalize my own victories and accomplishments. Over the course of last year, all the way up until the very end, various events led me to believe that no matter how hard I tried, I wouldn't be good enough for the kind of acceptance I've wanted. I received biting verbal abuse from someone very close to me, I watched bridges between myself and my friends burn as I desperately tried to cross, and I went through a really painful break-up that I am still trying to come to terms with.

These all folded together and expressed themselves as an amplification of my already-present abandonment issues. With... one previous exception, which is no longer valid, I found myself feeling like I don't belong anywhere. I have felt like I was unwanted by the people I surround myself with, like some burden. I can tell that these thoughts are irrational, so I do my best to push them away, but some times are easier than others.

It's not all bad, though. Since the beginning of the year, I've been working tirelessly on multiple cosplays, giving me a healthy creative outlet. After a convention on February 10th, I immersed myself in the local cosplay community, and the joy that everyone else in it works hard to spread is something I had largely been unfamiliar with. You could ask Hina, CowCow, or Black, and any of the three would confirm the overwhelmingly positive effect it has had on my life, especially over the last few weeks.

I usually do my best (and probably fail) to keep these insecurities hidden, for fear that others could see me as a burden for them, and I don't want to be a negative influence on the life of anyone else. I just figured that if winter was brave enough to open up about how big he decided his bank account was this morning, I'd share a bit, too.

My mental health hasn't been the best going back to Sophomore year of high school. Currently, I'm on medication that I hardly take ATM (forgetfulness or laziness probably). I think a few of people here have seen the effects of my depression over the years, and hopefully understand somewhat of the reason I act the way I do here. YCM is my outlet, a place where I can be social.

I could say more, but I don't know exactly what to say.

Proof of Nihilism is quite simple

Theists:

Premise: God is all powerful

Provable assertion 1: You are not all powerful

System composing of use you and god has a value of ∞+1 (which = ∞ btw), but your worth in that system is 1/(∞+1) which is 0

Likewise you can add any finite number ∞+n and get same result. We are all infinitesimally worthless in a global sense

What you CAN do is create a frog in the well scenario where you limit your system to just you and other finite beings, and have a non-zero value. But you're living a lie if you do so

For Atheists, just replace god with an ever expanding universe and you'll get a limit that converges to zero 

Why is it a good system? If nothing you do really matters, on a utilitarian context you can do ANYTHING you want. I can make "bad" choices and be morally content. I can make mistakes and be morally content. It's the ultimate freedom

Proof of Nihilism is quite simple

Theists:

Premise: God is all powerful

Provable assertion 1: You are not all powerful

System composing of use you and god has a value of ∞+1 (which = ∞ btw), but your worth in that system is 1/(∞+1) which is 0

Likewise you can add any finite number ∞+n and get same result. We are all infinitesimally worthless in a global sense

What you CAN do is create a frog in the well scenario where you limit your system to just you and other finite beings, and have a non-zero value. But you're living a lie if you do so

For Atheists, just replace god with an ever expanding universe and you'll get a limit that converges to zero 

Why is it a good system? If nothing you do really matters, on a utilitarian context you can do ANYTHING you want. I can make "bad" choices and be morally content. I can make mistakes and be morally content. It's the ultimate freedom

Apologies, but I think that may have been the most annoying thing I've ever read in this section.

Everything you said was reasonable. But the delivery was obscene in its specificity to the point of cringing.

Except that not everything you said was reasonable. The existence of an infinity does not mean that 1=0. In fact, if you understand maths, it is specifically the case that 1=/=0.

No, I get nihilism pretty well. You explained it well enough. You think that nothing truly matters because, in the end, none if it will mean anything, so you can do what you want without worrying. It's an idea you hold strongly because you take immense pride in having such a "realistic" world view, and (mostly) strictly adhere your thinking and actions to a basic cause and effect chain. Therefore, this position is the only one that makes sense to you- it's so grounded in reality that you view anyone who doesn't hold it as "missing something", am I right? That's certainly the impression you gave off when you explained it.

I actually think that point of view is a sign of intellectual weakness rather than strength. It comes off as you lacking confidence in your own thinking and ideas, so you have to adhere to strict standards that seem so obvious to come to any conclusions of your own. Every fact has context and nuance and merits further consideration beyond what seems obvious. The truth never mattered to begin with, only the context behind it. If you base a worldview solely on truth, it all comes tumbling down if the context wasn't what you believed it to be. This is how science works and why there's nothing truly called a scientific fact. We only have laws, which are more the framework for which we base everything on than anything we can call a fact, even though every indication points to them being one.

The mathematical argument for nihilism is similarly dumb. Math is hard coded into the universe, sure, but it only amounts to being a language we use to define what we know and predict what we don't. Using math to come to a nihilistic world view is like using the English language to justify the theory of gravity. Not only that, but math has no inherent meaning beyond being used as a tool to predict what we don't know and explain what we do. Using something without meaning to conclude that life has no meaning is as circular as circular gets.

Who knows though. Maybe my argument is flawed. If it is, I'd love someone smarter than me to explain how, because I hate being wrong a lot more than I hate being right.

But it's also a bit simpler than just logic for me.

Personally, I'm not the kind of person who jives well with having no meaning or purpose, because I look for meaning in everything. If life has no point, I have no point in doing anything. Happiness is just a temporary mirage doomed to be lost in a sea of stagnancy. Any self improvement won't amount to anything as long as I can coast by on being mediocre. This isn't something I actually believe to be true, it's just how I personally operate when I don't ascribe meaning to my actions- or rather, when I try to ascribe meaning but can't find any.

I need that extra purpose to function well at all. If that means religiously devoting myself to someone who's probably a normal person just because I have absolute faith in their ideas, then so be it. You can hold your beliefs on a pedestal all you want, believing them to be objective and based on reality, but as I'm sure you've picked up by now, reality isn't that important to me.

I don't care about what's real, I only care about myself. I don't care about winning, I only care about the pursuit of never losing again. I don't care about being happy. I only care about being the best.

Maybe you should try it some time. Maybe you'll turn those millions into billions.

Alright, guys, I appreciate you are having an in-depth/quality discussion on this but it would be preferred if you could make a separate topic on debating Nihilism, whilst it is far from "spam" I do think that this discussion would be better suited to alternative post so this one can stay on topic of Mental Health as a whole and not necessarily turn into a "tangent" on a Nihilism, I do appreciate that they can be quite closely linked but I'm fairly sure that Aez's intention when making the thread wasn't to be a debate on Nihilisim. 

-

On Topic: I've been on and off of Anti-Depressants, different kind of anti-depressants and apparently a lot of my "depression" came to a B12 Deficiency, I have to have injections for the rest of my life because of it but a lot of the issues I was having were very much closely linked.

I've always found that I've ended up becoming a better person out of hardships, it's worth the fight.

The mathematical argument for nihilism is similarly dumb. Math is hard coded into the universe, sure, but it only amounts to being a language we use to define what we know and predict what we don't. Using math to come to a nihilistic world view is like using the English language to justify the theory of gravity. Not only that, but math has no inherent meaning beyond being used as a tool to predict what we don't know and explain what we do. Using something without meaning to conclude that life has no meaning is as circular as circular gets.

Not sure you analogy works here 

You don't NEED English to express Relativity

You fundamentally need math to describe the universe and all in it

The only objective reality is Nihilism.

Saw Torm's post, so I leave it at this

I've been off and off Anti-Depressants, but none of them have really worked. I can't really comment on "happiness" due to my philosophy on life, but I can say that sleeping more definitely gives me more energy to go through the day. My subjective standard of life has increased as I've increased my sleep from 4 hours to 10. I'd recommend melatonin. 

You can get higher than 10MG too

I have never been on anti-depressants, or dealt with much problems that I remember after I got diagnosed with bipolar depression. That was about seven years ago, and I let myself fall into that void. I don't really know how it had affected me in life, as I don't really see myself being anything more than just a happy person who tries to make other people happy in life, at least in real life. Here, I don't give too much of a turn of a cheek to how I act. 

Archived