Evols have become my favorite monsters overnight, and it saddens me to see that they've had almost no relevancy since their inception, mostly thanks to the prevalence of Dinorabbits and Jurracs, which can flood the field in a similar fashion, while also synergizing well with other cards. Hopefully with some more help like the cards below, Evols could see some play.

RJqiAG3.jpg

Evolcano

Field Spell

Spells, Traps and Monster Effects can't be activated in response to the Special Summoing of "Evolsaur" and "Evolzar" monsters. When an "Evolsaur" monster(s) is Special Summoned by the effects of an "Evo" card, you can choose to either raise its level by 2 or reduce its level by 2.

When a Deck is having problems, give it a Field Spell! Evolcano allows Evol players to not be scared to try and set up their plays when your opponent has some backrow. With this, you should be at much more ease when trying to bring out Laggia or Solda, while also making it infinitely easier to get either out because of the level increase or reduction it also provides.

HVS4Idt.jpg

Evolsaur Pyarro

Effect Monster

This card is also treated as an "Evoltile" Reptile type Monster while in your hand, Deck, Field and GY. When this card is tributed to Special SUmmon a "Evolsaur" Monster, draw two cards. When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Evoltile" monster, you can discard up to 3 cards from your hand, and if you do, this card gains 200 ATK for each sent to the GY by this effect. Each effect of "Evolsaur Pyarro" can only be activated once per turn.

One thing that Evols lacked was draw power, and this card provides that. And with that draw power, you can also discard cards to get a solid 2600 beater while also potentially setting up your GY for Evo-Singularity and Conductor Tyranno.

J2EOvXD.jpg

Evolsaur Tricero

Effect Monster

When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Evoltile" monster, target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls, take control of it, but its effects are negated, it cannot attack directly and banish it if it leaves the field while in your possession.

Monster control is pretty good, and while it does target, being able to take control of one of your opponent's monsters to potentially use for XYZ summons is big. Or you could tribute it or just destroy it so it's banished, up to you.

Tvfxkua.jpg

Evolsaur Sutego

Effect Monster

When this card is Special Summoned by the effect of an "Evoltile" Monster, add 1 "Evo" Spell/Trap card from your Deck to your hand. If this card is in your GY while an "Evolzar" Monster is on the field with 1 or less Materials, you can banish 1 other "Evolsaur" Monster in your GY, and if you do, attach this card to that Evolzar" Monster as a Material. As long as this card remains attached to an "Evolzar" monster by this effect, it is unaffected by your opponent's card effects.

It searches out your important spell cards, including your field spell, as well as Evo-Singularity and Evo-Force, really just setting up for more plays. And if this card is in your GY, you can equip it to one of your Evolzar monsters if it ever detaches one of its materials to make sure it can't be affected by any of your opponent's cards.

Did you do the art for Pyranno and Tricero? It doesn't look bad at all.

To be honest, I find the Field Spell underwhelming. Evolsaurs mostly lack speed at the moment, rather than the ability to set up their plays, and while protection isn't bad, it's rather situational (also Evo-Karma is completely rendered useless), and again, while the Level modulation is helpful for you choosing what Xyz you want to Summon, not only does it feel kind of cheaty, but...what they really need is consistency and speed, which you did pick up on later.

Tricero makes a cute tech, but it doesn't fix their problems in actually bringing out the Evolsaurs in the first place. The main problem with the Evoltiles is how situational they were, and how easy they were to play around, and your cards don't change that. Pyranno is similarly meh...not only does the Evoltile treating again feel like cheating, but the discard->ATK gain is really awful. Why would I want to lose 3 cards from my hand, cards which I could Special Summon with Evoltiles, just for 600 ATK? 500 ATK for each card, maybe. But even then, still situational. The draw is nice, but considering the archetype focuses on both destruction AND Tributing, it might be best to have it apply to both.

Sutego could've been such a boon if Evolsaurs were consistent enough to bring out them bad boys regularly. Grants you a much needed search, something the archetype does seriously lack, and provides a BUNCH of protection to your bosses. Shame it doesn't deal with ATK protection, but...you can't have everything. I would've still like to have seen some helpful ATK gain somewhere (Pyranno doesn't count :( ) But still, the problem in regards to bringing out the Evolsaurs remains. Consistency and speed remain broken.

To be honest, I would recommend starting over, except perhaps with Sutego. None of the other cards you've made really merit themselves being run in the archetype other than them being as bad as the rest of the current good ones. Still, I really look forward to seeing what you do, as...well, I miss them too. Sorry if I came across as harsh, it's just I really want to see good support for my Evolsaurs!

Thanks for the review, and no, I didn't do the art. All credit for that goes to https://connor74193.deviantart.com/

And I don't mind the harsh review at all, I'm brand new to this, so I wasn't trying to make anything broken, thus why the effects aren't all that. But now I realize that there may be some changes that need to be made.

And thanks again for the review!

Archived