Devourer - Forming an Archetype #34 (10/10)

Atypical-Abbie

Devourer is an Archetype of Level 4 Fiend/DARK monsters, along with 1 Level 8 and Level 12 Fusion Monster. They focus on anti-support for various kinds of monsters, each monster reducing a specific kind of monster's ATK to 0 when they battle, and in the case of the Fusion Monsters, either Main Deck monsters or Extra Deck monsters. The new monsters are also able to discard themselves to search another specifically name monster, so you always have an out to whatever is troubling you.

They work well along with a Predaplant engine as well, due to them having their own Polymerization clone, and being DARK as well, and many cards allow them to spam the field with monsters as well, though their main strategy is to get one of their own Fusion Monsters on the field by using either all monsters with the same name, or monsters with different names to get a bonus that blows up all monsters that aren't a specific kind of monster, which will make you able to get a lot of Feast Counters on Devourer Feast.

Original Card:

plfGFbX.jpg

When this card battles a Fusion Monster, the ATK of the Fusion Monster becomes 0 during the Damage Step only.

New Cards:

Main Deck Monsters:

Synchro Devourer

Fiend/DARK

Level 4

If this card battles a Synchro Monster, that monster's ATK becomes 0 during the Damage Step only. You can discard this card; add 1 "Fusion Devourer" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Synchro Devourer" once per turn.

1400/1200

Xyz Devourer

Fiend/DARK

Level 4

If this card battles an Xyz Monster, that monster's ATK becomes 0 during the Damage Step only. You can discard this card; add 1 "Synchro Devourer" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Xyz Devourer" once per turn.

1400/1200

Link Devourer

Fiend/DARK

Level 4

If this card battles a Link Monster, that monster's ATK becomes 0 during the Damage Step only. You can discard this card; add 1 "Xyz Devourer" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Link Devourer" once per turn.

1400/1200

Extra Deck Monsters:

Deck Devourer

Fiend/DARK/Fusion

Level 8

2 "Devourer" monsters

If this card is Fusion Summoned using "Devourer" monsters with the same name: Destroy all monsters on the field Special Summoned from the hand or Main Deck. If this card battles a monster that was Special Summoned from the hand or Main Deck, that monster's ATK becomes 0 during the Damage Step only. When this Fusion Summoned card is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect) and sent to the GY: You can add 1 "Devourer" Spell/Trap from your Deck to your hand.

2000/2000

Extra Devourer

Fiend/DARK/Fusion

Level 12

3 "Devourer" monsters

If this card is Fusion Summoned using "Devourer" monsters with different names: Destroy other monsters on the field Special Summoned from the Extra Deck. If this card battles a monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, that monster's ATK becomes 0 during the Damage Step only. When this Fusion Summoned card is destroyed by your opponent's card (by battle or card effect) and sent to the GY: You can add 3 "Devourer" monsters with different names from your Deck to your hand.

2500/2500

Spells/Traps:

Redevourer

Normal Spell

Target 2 "Devourer" monsters in your GY; add them to your hand. During your Main Phase, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 3 "Redevourer" cards in your GY; shuffle them into your Deck, then draw 1 card. You can only activate 1 "Redevourer" per turn.

Devourer Polymerization

Normal Spell

Fusion Summon 1 "Devourer" Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Materials. If you control no monsters, and your opponent controls a Special Summoned monster, you can also send monsters from your Deck as Fusion Material. You can only activate 1 "Devourer Polymerization" per turn.

Devourer Emergence

Quick-Play Spell

Declare 1 Extra Deck monster card type (Fusion, Synchro, Xyz or Link); this turn, each time your opponent Special Summons a monster(s) with the declared card type, you can Special Summon 1 "Devourer" monster from your Deck. You can only activate 1 "Devourer Emergence" per turn.

Devourer Contamination

Normal Trap

Special Summon any number of "Devourer" monsters from your hand with different names in Defense Position. If you control no monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Devourer Contamination" per turn.

Devourer Feast

Continuous Trap

When this card is activated, if you control no monsters: You can target up to 2 Level 4 "Devourer" monsters in your GY; Special Summon them. Each time a monster(s) on the field is destroyed, place 1 Feast Counter on this card for each of those monsters. If a "Devourer" monster you control battles an opponent's monster, at the start of the Damage Step: You can remove any number of Feast Counter from this card; your attacking monster gains 500 ATK and DEF for each Feast Counter removed.

An interesting counter archetype. It's one of those niche archetypes that seems to handle everything. Of course, it will die the moment a new Summoning Type is introduced, but for now...wow. Non-activating reverse UTL for most bosses? I mean, it doesn't directly deal with Main Deck or Ritual Monsters, but the Level 8 Fusion certainly has that covered in its own right. To be honest, it's completely up to the S/T to save this set, as the archetype is relatively meh in terms of self-support; the Fusions get you searches, but only when your opponent chooses. Was hoping to see more of an ED line-up, with perhaps some Xyzs or Links, but I guess the original was a Fusion so you have to go with that.

I don't really like Redevourer's clashing first and second effect, especially since how it doesn't add up to 2 monsters, so you're probably going to want your GY to be as full as possible. But hey, it is optional, and there's no real reason not to have it considering the first effect is good enough on its own. Interesting to see you went with a Polymerization instead of Fusion spell card, which I guess only it makes it unable to work with Fusion searchers I found out the Predaplants actually are able to search all forms of Poly. How about that. Still, standard Shaddoll Fusion, which is fun considering this archetype is a less subtle version of Shaddolls. Emergence is great fun, being an interesting take on Maxx "C" that maxes out and yet doesn't buff you too much. Also archetypal, so no generic splashing there. I think all hand traps should be fun to play around and with, and this one is such, considering if you do your Link Spam then Raigeki your Devourers. HOPT is gr8, but Contamination is a little disappointing when compared to Emergence, especially as you can Fusion Summon using the cards in your hand. Probably the only bad card in your set, as Feast handles the slight problem of Normal Summoned monsters. Shame you don't really have any S/T removal, but an archetype has to have one weakness, right?

Really like where you've taken these, and although I would complain that you haven't done that much with them...I think you've done enough. Stayed accurate while making very interesting support. I enjoyed reading this, and would love to actually see this archetype in the TCG/OCG. A fun means of direct opposition to card types, finally.

An interesting counter archetype. It's one of those niche archetypes that seems to handle everything. Of course, it will die the moment a new Summoning Type is introduced, but for now...wow. Non-activating reverse UTL for most bosses? I mean, it doesn't directly deal with Main Deck or Ritual Monsters, but the Level 8 Fusion certainly has that covered in its own right. To be honest, it's completely up to the S/T to save this set, as the archetype is relatively meh in terms of self-support; the Fusions get you searches, but only when your opponent chooses. Was hoping to see more of an ED line-up, with perhaps some Xyzs or Links, but I guess the original was a Fusion so you have to go with that.

I don't really like Redevourer's clashing first and second effect, especially since how it doesn't add up to 2 monsters, so you're probably going to want your GY to be as full as possible. But hey, it is optional, and there's no real reason not to have it considering the first effect is good enough on its own. Interesting to see you went with a Polymerization instead of Fusion spell card, which I guess only it makes it unable to work with Fusion searchers I found out the Predaplants actually are able to search all forms of Poly. How about that. Still, standard Shaddoll Fusion, which is fun considering this archetype is a less subtle version of Shaddolls. Emergence is great fun, being an interesting take on Maxx "C" that maxes out and yet doesn't buff you too much. Also archetypal, so no generic splashing there. I think all hand traps should be fun to play around and with, and this one is such, considering if you do your Link Spam then Raigeki your Devourers. HOPT is gr8, but Contamination is a little disappointing when compared to Emergence, especially as you can Fusion Summon using the cards in your hand. Probably the only bad card in your set, as Feast handles the slight problem of Normal Summoned monsters. Shame you don't really have any S/T removal, but an archetype has to have one weakness, right?

Really like where you've taken these, and although I would complain that you haven't done that much with them...I think you've done enough. Stayed accurate while making very interesting support. I enjoyed reading this, and would love to actually see this archetype in the TCG/OCG. A fun means of direct opposition to card types, finally.

It's a Polymerization because it would be awkward to have a Devourer Fusion and a Fusion Devourer, and that people normally don't go with Polymerization anyway, so figured I would try it out. I was planning on making a Spell/Trap searcher as well, but not sure how the ATK loss would work with that, maybe against Pendulums? As for Contamination, it's so you can make Link Monsters more easily or Rank 4s if you like, and for Predaplant synergy as well. It's also in case people think that the Shaddoll Fusion clone was too power, I was gonna make it send from the field only in normal cases, and add more restrictions on it from the Deck. And yeah, Spell/Trap removal, was thinking of another Fusion Monster as well for doing something like that, maybe I'll think something up. Oh, maybe a Link Monster, so that Contamination can work well with it as well in-house.

Archived