Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Tourmaline

I spent about 30 minutes writing something but the tl:dr is Pyra is a sex object and swordfighters are overcentralizing because they're objectively stronger than brawlers due to their inherent range. It's cool if Marth is top tier cause whatever, it's Marth, I have to deal with it, but there are 15 characters that use some kind of sword or blade, 7 of which are different flavors of Marth.

I'm just really pissed that Bayonetta might be low-tier in this game due to bellyaching and honestly idk I've never played Xenoblade maybe they'd be a nice addition. Just stop nerfing characters and make low tiers better. Nerfing takes all the fun out of the game unless a character is overcentralizing like pre-patch Bayonetta/Sheik/Diddy/Luigi/Little Mac

also what the funk you guys shovel knight had such a huge kit to make into a character. there was SO much to work with. He had an amiibo and a port and everything. And ashley literally just appeared in a new game, I just....I'm going to have to try REALLY hard to have fun with this game if it turns out being sword meta.

Lmao I'm gonna play the sheet out of the game no matter what happens though, everyone will.

Of course, there is still one fighter that could make this game GOTU.....

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

woah

I spent about 30 minutes writing something but the tl:dr is Pyra is a sex object and swordfighters are overcentralizing because they're objectively stronger than brawlers due to their inherent range. It's cool if Marth is top tier cause whatever, it's Marth, I have to deal with it, but there are 15 characters that use some kind of sword or blade, 7 of which are different flavors of Marth.

I'm just really pissed that Bayonetta might be low-tier in this game due to bellyaching and honestly idk I've never played Xenoblade maybe they'd be a nice addition. Just stop nerfing characters and make low tiers better. Nerfing takes all the fun out of the game unless a character is overcentralizing like pre-patch Bayonetta/Shiek/Diddy/Lucas/Little Mac

also what the funk you guys shovel knight had such a huge kit to make into a character. there was SO much to work with. He had an amiibo and a port and everything. And ashley literally just appeared in a new game, I just....I'm going to have to try REALLY hard to have fun with this game if it turns out being sword meta.

Lmao I'm gonna play the sheet out of the game no matter what happens though, everyone will.

Of course, there is still one fighter that could make this game GOTU.....

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

[spoiler=]

woah

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

swordfighters are overcentralizing because they're objectively stronger than brawlers due to their inherent range. It's cool if Marth is top tier cause whatever, it's Marth, I have to deal with it, but there are 15 characters that use some kind of sword or blade, 7 of which are different flavors of Marth. 

also what the funk you guys shovel knight had such a huge kit to make into a character. there was SO much to work with. He had an amiibo and a port and everything. And ashley literally just appeared in a new game, I just....I'm going to have to try REALLY hard to have fun with this game if it turns out being sword meta.

I feel like you are being hyperbolic here. FE has 7 fighters total and Robin is nothing like the other FE character. I also wouldn't call Ike a Marth flavor since he plays totally differently from him. Also, saying the are just objectively strong is just wrong. In Smash 4 only two of the top 11 characters use sword, with 6 of the top 28. Hardly a sword meta. Like, I get being annoyed by sword issuers, but swords are also one of the most popular gaming weapons so it makes sense so many sword wielders are in the game. It makes more sense Imo to be frustrated that almost half of them are from FE and FE has a huge range of weapon types.

Also, if you count Pit, Dark Pit, and Corrin as sword users Shovel Knight is 100% a sword user since it would totally functional like one in Smash.

Actually from what I understand that poll was the top expected, not necessarily top wanted. That's why the poll has abunch of characters that were deconfirmed in the direct, since it was about what people were expecting for reveals. I was actually gonna bring that up since I wanted to talk about Bandanna Dee, who is featured prominently on it.

Now that we've got Simon/Richter, K. Rool, Chrom, and Dark Samus confirmed, as well potential characters in Shovel Knight, Ashley, and some might also include Zero and Knuckles, deconfirmed due to being ATs, it's hard for me to think of many big characters they could add.

Bandanna Dee comes to mind as a big one. He's very well-liked and he's definitely the 4th main character in the series alongside Kirby, Meta Knight, and Dedede. He'd have a unique weapon, too. Additional rumors have been going around for awhile as well because (the rest of this is what I've read): "Yoshi's Wooly World and Poochy's amiibo data indicates whether an individual reward is obtainable from one amiibo or multiple amiibo. The data for the rewards granted by the Daisy and Waddle Dee amiibo indicated that they could be obtained from more than one amiibo, but there only existed one amiibo for those characters at the game's release. Sure enough, one of our earliest newcomer reveals was Daisy, with an amiibo on the way. With this as evidence, Bandana Dee is almost a shoe-in for Smash Ultimate. I can hardly think of another circumstance that would introduce a new Waddle Dee amiibo considering no new amiibo were made for Star Allies."

Aside from him, maybe Shadow? Unless I'm mistaken he has yet to be deconfirmed by being an AT, and if any 3rd party series is gonna get another rep it'd definitely be Sonic.

Also, they wouldn't have to port NieR: Automtata to the Switch to have 2B in. It's not like Cloud's ever been on a Nintendo system in a FF game aside from the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy games, which I wouldn't really count. Cuz even Snake had at least Metal Gear on the NES, plus he was specifically asked to be in Brawl by Kojima. I'm sure if some people over at Platinum (who, mind you, has a really good working relationship with Nintendo) wanted 2B to be in when development for the game started and asked about it, it's entirely possible she could get in.

The Dracula fight was legit just how the fight works in game. If you noticed none of the characters were hitting Drac's face which is where his weak point is.

I was not aware of this.

Now that we've got Simon/Richter, K. Rool, Chrom, and Dark Samus confirmed, as well potential characters in Shovel Knight, Ashley, and some might also include Zero and Knuckles, deconfirmed due to being ATs, it's hard for me to think of many big characters they could add.

Aside from him, maybe Shadow? Unless I'm mistaken he has yet to be deconfirmed by being an AT, and if any 3rd party series is gonna get another rep it'd definitely be Sonic.

Also, they wouldn't have to port NieR: Automtata to the Switch to have 2B in. It's not like Cloud's ever been on a Nintendo system in a FF game aside from the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy games, which I wouldn't really count. Cuz even Snake had at least Metal Gear on the NES, plus he was specifically asked to be in Brawl by Kojima. I'm sure if some people over at Platinum (who, mind you, has a really good working relationship with Nintendo) wanted 2B to be in when development for the game started and asked about it, it's entirely possible she could get in.

I got you. I have a nice list a couple posts up assuming you haven't seen it. The well is never ending if you are greedy enough. ;)

Has Shadow not been shown as an AT in something? I COULD see him being an echo.

I had forgotten that Cloud isn't on a Nintendo system in a proper fashion, but the FF series has a Nintendo history and of the FF characters Cloud is one of the big ones. NieR has NO connection to Nintendo. The conditions to make it in could have changed, but I still like the "Has to be a Video Game character and the series has to have a history on Nintendo systems".

Actually there is one other thing I have a good idea about, I'm almost certain that we're getting an ARMS rep, but not in the base game. I think its just too recent and the timing didn't match up with Ultimate's development. However I would be astounded if we didn't get one as DLC. It's Nintendo's only other fighting game IP and it sold really well at over 2 million copies.

Actually, Heihachi as well. Sakurai had breifly considered him for Smash 4, and he did have a Mii costume in Smash 4. I would love if Heihachi were a fighter, he's so cool.

Actually there is one other thing I have a good idea about, I'm almost certain that we're getting an ARMS rep, but not in the base game. I think its just too recent and the timing didn't match up with Ultimate's development. However I would be astounded if we didn't get one as DLC. It's Nintendo's only other fighting game IP and it sold really well at over 2 million copies.

Actually, Heihachi as well. Sakurai had breifly considered him for Smash 4, and he did have a Mii costume in Smash 4. I would love if Heihachi were a fighter, he's so cool.

Both games were likely being worked on at the same time so I think both Rex and Springman have a shot. Remember, Smash 3DS came out less than a year after XY so if Sakurai wanted to rep the two they easily could.

Heihachi was put of the fake leak last month, but I do think he has a shot.

Okay so this is somewhat unrelated to conversation atm but

I get frustrated whenever people talk about FE in Smash because it's so painful as a fan of FE how they represent them in Smash.

Personally they chose some of the more....boring characters to use. And FE as a whole tends to get sheet on by Smash fans because "there's so many FE characters".

So basically my favorite franchise gets heat and I don't even get characters I love out of it.

Marth is boring but understandable. Roy is a sheet from what I know of his game but memes. Robin and Corrin are unique gameplay at least but they're sorta generic avatar characters, Ike is alright but to me kind of too hyped often, Lucina I have mixed feelings on, and Chrom is funnily the character I like most of them and he's not even top tier for me.

This is a game with swords, lances, axes, ninjas, dragons, magic, freaking FIGHTING BUNNIES, and this is what we get.

Just...felt like getting the rant off my chest.

I really hope Ken shows up as an echo of Ryu. It makes way too much sense given how they used to act so similarly in SF games, they could even use the same differences in properties that those games used for them.

Ike is alright but to me kind of too hyped often

I mean he is literally the most popular character in the franchise, I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

I really hope Ken shows up as an echo of Ryu. It makes way too much sense given how they used to act so similarly in SF games, they could even use the same differences in properties that those games used for them.

I mean he is literally the most popular character in the franchise, I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Him being the most popular character is why I say overhyped. People can be pretty crazy about him lol

Not gonna get into a debate about that but what I'm saying is that he's THE TOP character and so things get a bit nutty.

I'm astounded by how packed this game is, and we don't even know everything yet. I think by this point we're over 70 characters if you count echoes and the Pokemon Trainer trio separately, as well as having 103 stages and ~900 music tracks is insane. Like, could you imagine buying an album (hell it'd probably have to be a massive box set) of ~900 songs of anything? That alone would almost certainly be more than $60, the value packed into Ultimate is mad.

And speaking of music, that Dark Samus remix from the reveal is funking sick, I need that song ASAP.

I love that beyond just content we're getting, there's so many little QoL things you think wouldn't matter but given how many of them we're getting it's so great, as well as seemingly random things like stage morph. With everything from custom rule sets to FS meter to playing music with your Switch to seeing knockback graphs in training, it's like they've thought of literally everything.

Okay so this is somewhat unrelated to conversation atm but

I get frustrated whenever people talk about FE in Smash because it's so painful as a fan of FE how they represent them in Smash.

Personally they chose some of the more....boring characters to use. And FE as a whole tends to get sheet on by Smash fans because "there's so many FE characters".

So basically my favorite franchise gets heat and I don't even get characters I love out of it.

Marth is boring but understandable. Roy is a sheet from what I know of his game but memes. Robin and Corrin are unique gameplay at least but they're sorta generic avatar characters, Ike is alright but to me kind of too hyped often, Lucina I have mixed feelings on, and Chrom is funnily the character I like most of them and he's not even top tier for me.

This is a game with swords, lances, axes, ninjas, dragons, magic, freaking FIGHTING BUNNIES, and this is what we get.

Just...felt like getting the rant off my chest.

I think I said this earlier, but I totally get this criticism of the FE characters in the game. It isn't my franchise, but even I know it has more to offer, but if all you looked at was what Smash shows you wouldn't know that.

I can totally see Ken being an echo.  

I'm astounded by how packed this game is, and we don't even know everything yet. I think by this point we're over 70 characters if you count echoes and the Pokemon Trainer trio separately, as well as having 103 stages and ~900 music tracks is insane. Like, could you imagine buying an album (hell it'd probably have to be a massive box set) of ~900 songs of anything? That alone would almost certainly be more than $60, the value packed into Ultimate is mad.

And speaking of music, that Dark Samus remix from the reveal is funking sick, I need that song ASAP.

I love that beyond just content we're getting, there's so many little QoL things you think wouldn't matter but given how many of them we're getting it's so great, as well as seemingly random things like stage morph. With everything from custom rule sets to FS meter to playing music with your Switch to seeing knockback graphs in training, it's like they've thought of literally everything.

The official site treats PT as 3 characters, so we have 67 main characters and 6 echo. I can totally see at least 3 more new ones with 4 more echoes.

Yea, the amount of content in this game is INSANE. I'm not sure if I've called it this here, but "Never Ask Sakurai For Anything Ever Again" is a good alternate title for the game. I mean, I'm a greedy jabroni and have 8 more characters on my want list, but the game 100% lives up to its Ultimate title.

Agreed. The music they used for all the character reveals was hype. God, I would pay a ton of money to own the whole OST. I'll settle for being able to make custom play lists and using the Switch as an MP3 player.

The biggest thing I've noticed about the game is you have infinite customization options. How do you want to play Smash, way A, B, C, D, Z? You can play the game however you want.

Oh btw in case anyone was already thinking about it, the big banner art with all the characters is being edited to fit in newly revealed characters, so no you can't look at potential gaps in the art to theorize about how many characters will be added.

Oh btw in case anyone was already thinking about it, the big banner art with all the characters is being edited to fit in newly revealed characters, so no you can't look at potential gaps in the art to theorize about how many characters will be added.

Legit didn't realize that until someone pointed it out to me. That being said the mural has a fair bit of space left so another half dozen odd characters seems very much within reason.

What do you mean? I can't think of any projectiles he can't pocket aside from Final Smashes. He can steal stuff from Sheik's needles to Bowser's fire breath to Robin's Thoron to Fox's blaster shots (including the ones from his throws) to Zelda's Phantom to Pikachu's Thunder.

What do you mean? I can't think of any projectiles he can't pocket aside from Final Smashes. He can steal stuff from Sheik's needles to Bowser's fire breath to Robin's Thoron to Fox's blaster shots (including the ones from his throws) to Zelda's Phantom to Pikachu's Thunder.

I mean where he just takes the characters personal item, i.e. the crown. It is a neat little touch and I wish the game gave him more chances to do that.

A twitter user by the name of @noctulescent decoded the blurred green text for the new mode in the direct.                    

https://nintendosoup.com/super-smash-bros-ultimates-blurred-menu-option-has-been-figured-out/

In both the English. Japanese and French versions of the trailer, the blurred text makes out "Spirits". Not sure if I should think that this going to be a story mode or something else. On one side, we've seen that nearly every big addition to the game has been because fans wanted it, so it would make sense to bring out the holy mother of fan requests. On the other side, I heard somewhere that the reason Sakurai didn't add subspace to Smash 4 is because he wanted to focus his animation budget on the character reveal trailers. Seeing as those are making a return bigger than ever, it doesn't seem likely subspace would come along with it.

Not sure if anyone else noticed but there is also a blurred symbol on the dashboard.

[spoiler=hmmm]zRcI4Xh.png

also what is it with these reveal trailers and every character dying.

First Mario & Mega Man

Then poor Luigi

And then Dedede 

In both the English. Japanese and French versions of the trailer, the blurred text makes out "Spirits".

also what is it with these reveal trailers and every character dying.

First Mario & Mega Man

Then poor Luigi

And then Dedede 

Story mode where every old smash character is dead af and you have to play as all of the new characters trying to gradually revive all the old ones.

Yes? Yes.

The menu from the trailer is completely unintelligible. We know how easy it is to fake a leak/evidence at this point. He could have pretty easily photoshopped it

The best case scenario does seem to be story mode, but I’m expecting another Smash Tour variant. I get that Sakurai wants to please people, but the animation budget has gone into reveal trailers to a pretty massive extent. I don’t think he wants any more of the animation team’s hard work going on YouTube for free without benefit to them.

But it’s still presumably a gamemode anyway

Archived