Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Tourmaline

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pardon?

Ridley has potential but he's by no means MK. Bayo, Cloud, and Sheik would eat him alive as combo food. Imagine trying to land against Cloud upairs when you're so huge.

Do you know why Meta Knight was good in Brawl? It was because all of his moves, especially Mach Tornado and Shuttle Loop made him extremely difficult to punish, while the rest of the cast had pretty bad frame data and options. 

Ridley's recovery is very exploitable considering magnet hands is nerfed and there's a lot of startup. That, and considering he's the biggest character, his neutral game will look a lot different from Meta Knight's. Honestly though he does so much damage that he could be top tier

I would say the best characters will probably be the Smash 4 top tiers plus Inkling and Snake. Ptrainer has some potential with his buffs, as does Zelda, but they won't be too amazing.

Also, Bayonetta was actually nerfed in Smash U at the time of Plup vs. Leo. Here's the changelog from what people have discovered.

Sheik is gonna be number 1 cause she got nothing but buffs lmfao

His tail attack stuns you. You use that, and then you have a good few seconds to up air 2-3 times. He's bulky enough for that damage to hurt

His tail attack stuns you. You use that, and then you have a good few seconds to up air 2-3 times. He's bulky enough for that damage to hurt

His tail attack also does like 50 damage if you connect the sweet spot so that into fully charge F-Smash is liable to just kill something out right.

Anyway, what is your Smash wish list? Mine

Rex/Pyra

Springman

King K. Rool

Decidueye

Banjo & Kazooie

Redacted for those avoiding spoilers

Well since Waluigi is still just an Assist Trophy, I guess Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (since Max Brass is a lot more unrealistic compared to either of those two).

Simon Belmont would be cool, too. There was an old leak that correctly predicted Ridley (even saying he'd be revealed at the end of Nintendo's 2018 E3 presentation), the return of every character, and the Ultimate subtitle, but that leak also mentioned Simon Belmont. Vergeben, the guy behind it, has a pretty good track record with these sorts of things apparently.

Of course not. Nintendo doesn't want to say as much, but the Switch is pretty much phasing out the 3DS. I imagine the games that were already in development for the 3DS when the Switch got started will be some of the last 3DS games. Note that there was nothing for the 3DS in their E3 direct.

Yeah, I noticed that there was nothing for the 3DS, and Shadows of Valentia and USUM were both previously noted to be the final mainline games of their respective series for the 3DS., so Three Houses, Let's Go, and next year's Pokemon games all going to the Switch isn't too surprising.

Nintendo has said they'll continue supporting the 3DS for the next couple of years, but I imagine it'll be mostly for the sake of third party support. First party support is all but finished.

While they've so far denied that the Switch will supplant the 3DS, they said that they could see that happening if it was possible for there to be multiple Switches in a single household. The key difference they cited was that a family with two kids could have each kid get their own 3DS, but the Switch is designed so the family only needs one. The low price point of the 3DS also makes it more likely to have more than one.

But then Nintendo made a "Second Switch Set" in Japan that's just the 3DS console, minus some of the other necessities like the charging cord, since it's assumed you have one already. So Nintendo laid out the condition in which the Switch would replace the 3DS, and then made a set for the express purpose of fulfilling that condition. While it's not a set they plan to have outside of Japan, it does illustrate that Nintendo is taking steps for the Switch to replace the 3DS.

And that's probably for the best. They've been moving into the mobile market, and while I think that's had some mixed results, the synergy between Let's Go and Pokemon Go does show that Nintendo is taking their mobile endeavors seriously. I can't see them trying to manage the Switch, the 3DS (Or a hypothetical successor), and mobile. Remember how the DS was first called a "third pillar" to the GBA and GameCube? That didn't last long. Nintendo seems to prefer just two pillars, with the third inevitably supplanting one of them.

That said, I still wish Nintendo would have some successor to the 3DS, if only because I love the dual screens a lot and wish they could retain that in some capacity.

Here's a thought that occurred to me after the conference; With Pokemon Trainer returning, I wondered whether or not we'll get separate amiibos for Squirtle and Ivysaur, but considering players will no longer suffer penalties for not switching which was the case in Brawl, I do think there will be.

So normal Link (I dunno about Toon/Young Link) shoots a sword beam when at 0%, it deals 7% damage in a 1v1 and seems like a nice addition to his neutral at the beginning of a stock.

Also: https://twitter.com/MaxKetchum_/status/1007141370476179457

Really there's about a million things but these are just two things that caught my eye while browsing the subreddit.

I missed it then. ARMs is too new an IP to get 2 reps imo. Again, the roster is already at the upper limits of what fighting games can really hold.

FE got 2 reps purely because they wanted Roy to promote the next game. Kid Icarus got 3 because Dark Pit is largely a clone and so it took less development time to add him vs. a full on character. Odds are he started out as an alt outfit like Alph.

The only reason to remove Duck Hunt is roster size. He is one of the least important character in the line up and if they need to make cuts (and they likely do) he would be near the top of the list.

"The roster is at the upper limits?" I think not. Coders have made 100 character super smash bros games that run flawlessly on a wii using a game engine from 2008:

Nintendo is going to have to do better then 68 characters and/or find another selling point if they want me to buy this game.

He's not talking from a technical perspective. It would be very simple for Ultimate to have as many characters as there were Generation 1 Pokémon. The issue is maintaining a standard of quality across the entire cast that shows that everyone was thought through and given proper respect. A lot of those fan games with a huge number of characters, intentionally or not, let certain characters fall by the wayside or show others huge favoritism, making huge gaps when it comes to attention to detail, playability, etc.

Also, the bigger the cast gets beyond a certain point, the more characters there are that straight-up will not see play.

He's not talking from a technical perspective. It would be very simple for Ultimate to have as many characters as there were Generation 1 Pokémon. The issue is maintaining a standard of quality across the entire cast that shows that everyone was thought through and given proper respect. A lot of those fan games with a huge number of characters, intentionally or not, let certain characters fall by the wayside or show others huge favoritism, making huge gaps when it comes to attention to detail, playability, etc.

Also, the bigger the cast gets beyond a certain point, the more characters there are that straight-up will not see play.

More or less this. Fighting games have upper limits to how big their cast can be not for technical reason but for game play reasons. Regardless though, that post is from March and I've already been proven wrong.

Also, Infinite is a funking mess, lol. Like, it's cool and all but have you played it? At my old college Smash Bros. club we had everything from 64 to Project M to Smash4 to Infinite, and not a single person ever took Infinite seriously, it was there so people could funk around. Saying 68 actual characters aren't enough because Infinite exists and that Nintendo has to do better (as if they're specifically trying to please you) is so stupid.

Also, Kirby's victory animation has him split into 3 to do the dance like he would do in his own games, that's adorable.

And here's a short video follow-up about that pivot tech I linked earlier: https://twitter.com/MaxKetchum_/status/1007337878030991361

Plus a general breakdown of mechanics: https://cstarleague.com/smash/news_articles/895

considering they said they don't have time to add too many new characters, the next additions are likely going to be major splashes while we haven't seen much on it, considering the popularity, and how many people clamor to see him make it, i'd say shovel knight has a decent chance at getting in. based on the resurgence of popularity, and having quite a few games on nintendo platforms, along with being a somewhat older franchise to dig into, shantae might also be a strong contender. also, nintendo has put in characters from newly released games a few times now, so i'd be willing to bet on either at least one new IIP getting in (aside from inklings) or one resurging IP getting it's first foot into the fray added (like they did with kid icarus) though it could be said inklings would qualify for the first, i think they'll have at least one or two more new characters who fit the bill.

I do think Ultimate will get to 70 by the time DLC and everything is finished

My Dream of Arceus likely wont happen, but maybe Protoman might happen?

A number of people I've seen talking are expecting them to his the 70 mark for release. DLC could push it up a bit more.

I'm not sure how likely second characters are for 3rd party franchises. Not saying it can't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the likes of Tails, Protoman, etc.

Protoman was confirmed to be in Megaman's final smash, along with Bass. He's not happening.

That said... Knuckles the Enchiluperito is an assist trophy now, so Shadow might be playable...?

I mean, another person of Protoman could make it. Though I'd put the odds of that at not even 1%.

Shadow being playable all depends on whether he's still gonna be an Assist Trophy or not tbph.

Though I still think we may still get an Arms rep here if not in the main roster or as DLC, though a part of me will probs be on the fence.

I feel of all my wants, Springman (or any Arms character) is a safe bet.

my dreams of Ray MK being a playable character are crushed every time :(

still hype regardless though.

I'd be super down for Ray to be playable. With the number of mechs showing up in Nintendo games of late Smash needs one.

A number of people I've seen talking are expecting them to his the 70 mark for release. DLC could push it up a bit more.

I'm not sure how likely second characters are for 3rd party franchises. Not saying it can't happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath for the likes of Tails, Protoman, etc.

Less tails and more Knuckles IMO

I'd like Arcues most of all as I mentioned. Or Deoxys would be lit. Had hopes for Darkrai but he got AT'D

Less tails and more Knuckles IMO

I'd like Arcues most of all as I mentioned. Or Deoxys would be lit. Had hopes for Darkrai but he got AT'D

Serbia tweeted out that Deoxys is still a Pokeball.

Also, thinking about it now, I'm ok if Decidueye doesn't make it. One of the reasons I wanted it was because I wanted to round out the fully evolve starters, but with Charizard back with the Kanto starts that is less of an issue imo. That said I do think Gen 7 is super live to get a rep but outside of Decidueye I'm not sure who would make for a good fit. Incineroar is my best guess.

Archived