Quartz-Eyes Gemini Dragon (The first Hand Trap Gemini monster)

ABC Gun

Artwork: https://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=5258656

5fl4rhu.jpg

Quartz-Eyes Gemini Dragon (Dragon/LIGHT/Level 8/Gemini/Effect/ATK 3000/DEF 2500)

During the Main Phase, if this card is in your hand (Quick Effect): You can return 2 Gemini monsters you control and/or from your GY to the hand, and if you do; Special Summon this card in Attack Position, then destroy all monsters your opponent controls that were Special Summoned from the Extra Deck. You can only use this effect of "Quartz-Eyes Gemini Dragon" once per turn.

This card is treated as a Normal Monster while face-up on the field or in the GY. While this card is a Normal Monster on the field, you can Normal Summon it to have it become an Effect Monster with these effects.

● During your Main Phase, you can Normal Summon 1 Gemini monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. (You can only gain this effect once per turn.)

● During your opponent's Main Phase, if your opponent would Special Summon exactly 1 monster from their Extra Deck (Quick Effect): You can banish 1 Gemini monster from your GY, then negate that Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster, then draw 1 card.

​I wanted to revamp Gemini monsters but I was having issues as the mechanic is very limiting, I think its cool to have your monster go from Normal to Effect, but at the same time they're aren't too many things you can do with that and considering you have to use your Normal Summon in order to do this and that can be a waste if you're not prepared. Then I thought about something, the effects of Gemini monsters that treat them as Normal Monsters only applies on the field and in the GY, but then does that mean you could also give a Gemini monster a "hand trap" effect without interfering with the Gemini effect, or even better enhancing that effect. I think you can and so I designed this card for that purpose, albeit I could've posted this in Experimental Cards but I don't think its that far of a stretch as its just a Gemini monster with a hand trap effect. You can use its hand trap effect only during the Main Phase of either player's turn, but if you do during your turn you can Normal Summon it for its Gemini effect then Normal Summon another Gemini monster with this card's effect in order to have that other monster become an Effect Monster. Its last effect is its best effect as it disrupts any Deck heavily focused on Summoning monsters from the Extra Deck, all you need to do is banish 1 Gemini from your GY, negate that Summon (destroy that monster as well), and then draw 1 card. This only applies to any Summon of 1 monster at a time, so if your opponent Pendulum Summons 2 or more monsters either from the Extra Deck or a combination of hand and Extra Deck, and of course any time you would Summon 2 or more monsters at a time this effect won't be able to activate, but if you do activate this effect on a monster with a compulsory trigger effect in the GY, that monster's effect won't be able to activate as the last thing done would be you drawing a card by this effect. Again, I just wanted to revamp the concept of Gemini monsters without completely changing what they are, I hope you like it.

A nice idea, the effect activates in the hand so it doesn't conflict with the Gemini part since it's only treated as an effect monster on the field or GY like you said. A good to way to work with their mechanic.

My main issue is that it needs to bounce 2 Gemini monsters. Doesn't do anything against Stuff like Raigeki, and if your opponent does something like Castel that only targets 1 monster, you have to bounce both of your monsters to doge that. It would be perfect to only bounce 1 monster since we have stuff like Darkest Diabolos now. 2 Geminis is just too much to ask for.

The Gemini effects are great, the first makes it so you almost always want to normal summon it first since you get another one immediately after it. The second effect is something. Not a OPT so it's a matter of filling up the GY. The missing the timing is cool but not too many effects do that anymore which is sad, especially extra deck monsters, more of a subtle boost than something game-changing. Don't need to say drawing is good.

A nice idea, the effect activates in the hand so it doesn't conflict with the Gemini part since it's only treated as an effect monster on the field or GY like you said. A good to way to work with their mechanic.

My main issue is that it needs to bounce 2 Gemini monsters. Doesn't do anything against Stuff like Raigeki, and if your opponent does something like Castel that only targets 1 monster, you have to bounce both of your monsters to doge that. It would be perfect to only bounce 1 monster since we have stuff like Darkest Diabolos now. 2 Geminis is just too much to ask for.

The Gemini effects are great, the first makes it so you almost always want to normal summon it first since you get another one immediately after it. The second effect is something. Not a OPT so it's a matter of filling up the GY. The missing the timing is cool but not too many effects do that anymore which is sad, especially extra deck monsters, more of a subtle boost than something game-changing. Don't need to say drawing is good.

The reasons for needing 2 Geminis to bounce is because of what you said about Normal Summoning this card then Normal Summoning another Gemini that you just bounced. I understand what you're saying about needing 2 because you could use cards like Ties of the Brethren, Soul Charge, of course in this card's case Silver's Cry and Dragon Shrine. It combos exceptionally well with Catalyst Field so you can gain the effects of the other Gemini monsters you Summon or just get back those you bounced with its effect for an Xyz or Link Summon, or during your opponent's Main Phase, activate Super Double Summon to troll your opponent and give them a quick jolt by negating the Summon of 1 of their Extra Deck monsters. My point is that this card can be used in so many combos that giving it an easy Summoning condition makes it too broken and can cause severely abusive plays (even though its somewhat abusive already).

I wanna start with your choice of card art.  It's very good.  It feels like a Yu-gi-oh card.  The color patterns, the positioning of the monster in the image, it's very attractive.  Visually, this card is super appealing.  The name is a perfect fit.

Moving on to the card effect.  I have to say, to an amateur like myself, Quartz-Eyes feels very strong.  I admittedly thought it may have been too strong at first, but because it requires your opponent to Special Summon exactly 1 monster, I think it's effect is reasonable, even with the free +1 to your hand.  

I love that it's a Gemini monster most of all.  They don't have a lot of support (in my opinion) and this card seems more up to speed when compared to most things in the game, currently.   Overall, I love this card.  I hope to see more Gemini monsters from you in the future if you feel up to it.

The reasons for needing 2 Geminis to bounce is because of what you said about Normal Summoning this card then Normal Summoning another Gemini that you just bounced. I understand what you're saying about needing 2 because you could use cards like Ties of the Brethren, Soul Charge, of course in this card's case Silver's Cry and Dragon Shrine. It combos exceptionally well with Catalyst Field so you can gain the effects of the other Gemini monsters you Summon or just get back those you bounced with its effect for an Xyz or Link Summon, or during your opponent's Main Phase, activate Super Double Summon to troll your opponent and give them a quick jolt by negating the Summon of 1 of their Extra Deck monsters. My point is that this card can be used in so many combos that giving it an easy Summoning condition makes it too broken and can cause severely abusive plays (even though its somewhat abusive already).

Didn't really think about doing it on your own turn, but requiring a Gemini on the field before using your normal summon is fine for a combo like that since it's not super broken. "Ties of the Brethren" means you used up your normal and can't get it's effect, "Soul Charge" requires GY setup, and I don't know how many decks will play a card like "Silver's Cry" just for 1 monster in their deck.

But, requiring 2 materials just makes it unplayable IMHO. I don't really want to bounce that many monsters that may or may not already have their effects. And the effect is only live when I have Gemini monsters in the GY, not hand.

I wanna start with your choice of card art.  It's very good.  It feels like a Yu-gi-oh card.  The color patterns, the positioning of the monster in the image, it's very attractive.  Visually, this card is super appealing.  The name is a perfect fit.

Moving on to the card effect.  I have to say, to an amateur like myself, Quartz-Eyes feels very strong.  I admittedly thought it may have been too strong at first, but because it requires your opponent to Special Summon exactly 1 monster, I think it's effect is reasonable, even with the free +1 to your hand.  

I love that it's a Gemini monster most of all.  They don't have a lot of support (in my opinion) and this card seems more up to speed when compared to most things in the game, currently.   Overall, I love this card.  I hope to see more Gemini monsters from you in the future if you feel up to it.

I wanted to make Geminis competitive because outside Miracle HERO they suck. I know Konami "tried" with the Chemicritters (they had a better name in the OCG, Chemical Beasts) by giving them 2 effects when Normal Summoned on the field instead of just 1 and making them mostly generic Gemini support, which did next to nothing for Geminis as a whole as they still suffered the same way every other Gemini does in this game; you have to waste your Normal Summon on your Gemini monster to give them their own effects and unless you have adequate protection, that monster and yourself will get wrecked during your opponent's turn. I did think about the gimmick of Geminis that treat themselves as Normal Monsters on the field and in the GY, and so it made sense to me that at least in the hand Geminis are just Effect Monsters and of course Effect Monsters can have effects that activate in the hand. If Konami had made a monster even just slightly similar to this, I guarantee not only would that card be on the banlist, but for just for 1 format Geminis would have had a legit chance to be competitive.

I wanted to make Geminis competitive because outside Miracle HERO they suck. I know Konami "tried" with the Chemicritters (they had a better name in the OCG, Chemical Beasts) by giving them 2 effects when Normal Summoned on the field instead of just 1 and making them mostly generic Gemini support, which did next to nothing for Geminis as a whole as they still suffered the same way every other Gemini does in this game; you have to waste your Normal Summon on your Gemini monster to give them their own effects and unless you have adequate protection, that monster and yourself will get wrecked during your opponent's turn. I did think about the gimmick of Geminis that treat themselves as Normal Monsters on the field and in the GY, and so it made sense to me that at least in the hand Geminis are just Effect Monsters and of course Effect Monsters can have effects that activate in the hand. If Konami had made a monster even just slightly similar to this, I guarantee not only would that card be on the banlist, but for just for 1 format Geminis would have had a legit chance to be competitive.

I really don't think this card is nearly as good as you think it is. We have stuff like "Naturia Beast, "Darkest Diabolos, Lord of the Lair" and "Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World" and I would rather stare this card than any of them. You got rid of 2 monsters in control, in a Gemini deck, and all I have to out is an effectively a Blue-eyes (stat, level, attribute, type). 

The negate isn't even that good. It's so hard to pull off for the user. Summoning this card without using your normal summon is difficult, to say the least and it relies heavily on your GY setup. It can also be played around very easily with any spell, trap, or main deck monster. Does nothing against main deck Archetypes like Kozmo and Monarchs, does nothing against pendulum Archetypes since they can just summon multiples. 

It would be legal at 3 forever

I really don't think this card is nearly as good as you think it is. We have stuff like "Naturia Beast, "Darkest Diabolos, Lord of the Lair" and "Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World" and I would rather stare this card than any of them. You got rid of 2 monsters in control, in a Gemini deck, and all I have to out is an effectively a Blue-eyes (stat, level, attribute, type). 

The negate isn't even that good. It's so hard to pull off for the user. Summoning this card without using your normal summon is difficult, to say the least and it relies heavily on your GY setup. It can also be played around very easily with any spell, trap, or main deck monster. Does nothing against main deck Archetypes like Kozmo and Monarchs, does nothing against pendulum Archetypes since they can just summon multiples. 

It would be legal at 3 forever

I just re-did the card, now it returns Geminis from the field and GY to the hand, then nukes all your opponent's monsters that were Special Summoned from the Extra Deck.

I just re-did the card, now it returns Geminis from the field and GY to the hand, then nukes all your opponent's monsters that were Special Summoned from the Extra Deck.

Okay, that's spicy. The nuke is nice, destroys any LInk monster so Pendulum decks won't have a Link monster on the field to summon multiples from the Extra.

Much easier to summon and helps you dig resources out of the GY, the nuke is welcome as well. 

Okay, that's spicy. The nuke is nice, destroys any LInk monster so Pendulum decks won't have a Link monster on the field to summon multiples from the Extra.

Much easier to summon and helps you dig resources out of the GY, the nuke is welcome as well.

I avoided doing this the first time because I did'nt know if it would've been too much.

Archived