Best Anime OP [BAOP] Tournament - Round 3 Start!

Draconus297

I mean, you've got two whole weeks to think, BS. You're probably going to think of something in that time.

Oh sheet. My bad, Nyx. Understanding error. Sorry, CowCow. However, you can try to debate Nyx on Paper Moon v. Resonance here, to try to get him to change when Tuesday rolls around and he's allowed to again.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, you've got two whole weeks to think, BS. You're probably going to think of something in that time.

Oh sheet. My bad, Nyx. Sorry, CowCow. However, you can try to debate Nyx on Paper Moon v. Resonance here, to try to get him to change when Tuesday rolls around and he's allowed to again.

Eh, it's okay, I like Resonance too. But to make things difficult to you, put my second as Tank then. It should be in any OP tournament.

Included YouTube links for your listening convenience.

REDACTED

REDACTED

Thankfully people covered abunch of my other favorites making this a bit easier. I might've chosen Ai o Torimodose!! from Fist of the North Star, but the version I really like is the one from the movie, not the actual show OP, so that probably doesn't count.

EDIT: Oh wait, "1 OP per anime." counts in general, not per person. I gotta change some stuff.

I agree with Cow that it's a bad rule, it should be per person. Someone picking one OP completely locking anyone else from picking from that anime is dumb, what if someone picked an OP from something like One Piece? That show has almost two dozen different OPs that people could want to potentially nominate.

Also I can't believe you like FMAB OP 1 > OP 5 and Kill la Kill OP 1 > OP 2.

It's to prevent any one anime from taking over the bracket without the aid of spin-offs, reboots, or sequel series. This way, Yu-Gi-Oh can only have 7 spots, Naruto has a maximum of 3 if I remember correctly (4 counting Burrito Boy), no one but Zai is going to put any of the dozen Gundam spin-offs/reboots, etc.

It's a precautionary measure, done only to ensure maximum diversity in choices. Yes, it locks Big Three Shonen fans into a death brawl for options, but that's part of why this thread exists- debates between fans of a series to give your show an ideal shot.

Now that it's the ideal time for me to start getting this idea of mine ready, you steal it? xD

I said I fully intended on starting it today, but if you beat me to it, then that's fine, gives me time to do something sillier. :P

Just think I'll save you the looking if you plan on putting up YT videos:

Bull's Eye - Aria the Scarlet Ammo AA

ViViD - Blood Lad

FEELING AROUND - Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles

Aikotoba - Anime-Gataris

It's to prevent any one anime from taking over the bracket without the aid of spin-offs, reboots, or sequel series. This way, Yu-Gi-Oh can only have 7 spots, Naruto has a maximum of 3 if I remember correctly (4 counting Burrito Boy), no one but Zai is going to put any of the dozen Gundam spin-offs/reboots, etc.

It's a precautionary measure, done only to ensure maximum diversity in choices. Yes, it locks Big Three Shonen fans into a death brawl for options, but that's part of why this thread exists- debates between fans of a series to give your show an ideal shot.

No one is going to change their mind about their preferred OP just so someone else can get their preferred OP in as a nomination.

Honestly you shouldn't be allowed to nominate until the very end especially with a rule like this.

Not to mention most anime have multiple OPs. idk...when there's so many options I don't think allowing just one makes much sense.

It's still a dumb precautionary measure. There's not even any debate, it's just first come first serve. And you being the creator of the thread means I literally had no chance of getting in two of my nominations. This might be worse than the idea of limiting the shows to certain time periods that was going around in Nico's status.

Whatevs. My two new nominations are:

(sorry video quality's kinda bad on this one)

So I saw the status earlier that led to this, will the tourney adopt the same criteria where an OP is judged on its presentation as well, not just the song?

Oh yeah, I didn't see that in the OP. I think it'd be interesting to see, which is why my idea included it, but I don't think everyone is gonna bother for everything, so it's not a huge loss if not.

It's a vote-based poll, your vote can be based on any criteria you damned well choose. It's all opinions from here, mate.

There's no debate because no one is actively trying to debate. Like, at all. Make arguments, try to convince whoever is holding on to an "inferior" OP for any given anime as to why your choice would end better. I consider myself reasonable, but this rule is designed to put variation in the tournament that it wouldn't have had if we put, say, both Resonance and Paper Moon, as came up earlier. I'll lift this rule for last-minute "fill the bracket" suggestions, if it's really missing slots in two weeks (which I honestly doubt), but until crunch time I'd prefer to ensure variety over letting literally every Naruto OP ever take the last 15 spots for itself.

If you'd like to present your case for an OP that I passed over, then by all means. I'll consider your points, and if you can get me to agree I'll gladly change some of the selections I made. I expect everyone else to be willing to do the same.

I was actually working on an "overturning" ruling, where if enough people disagree with one choice for a given anime it can be replaced, but that should require at least a supermajority vote from other fans of a given anime. Not exactly sure, though.

Well to be fair until this point I don't think people knew they had the option of debate, the rules were just there and usually people assume they are to follow them. My bad I was only looking at the rules section.

Unfortunately this is the internet and people's opinions aren't changed so easily. Even if I could wax poetic for hours on the musical theory behind the various songs it could mean jack sheet if you're just like, "Nah, don't care." I suppose I could say something but I'll have to think about what.

This is just adding complexity where it is not needed.

Even if a single anime dominated (which it wouldn't) that wouldn't be a problem. This is a competition of what the best OP is. Not what anime has the best OP.

Take resonance and Papermoon for example. They are very different songs, have openings directed very differently, and have entirely different draws. Excluding one of them completely because the other was mentioned first doesn't make any sense.

I outright stated that debate would be a thing in the OP. Why would you or anyone else think otherwise?

If I did, I'd be a colossal hypocrite. Trust me, while it might take time and effort, as long as we're both civil I have no issue with changing one or two of my choices to something else to give you a chance to snag something. I have backup choices, and it was incredibly narrow that some of the ones I liked didn't get in. If you prove your passion, someone would have to be a complete jabroni to cling to a given song like a child with a toy.

Also, it's more a problem of the tournament format. If one anime has several representatives, it increases the chance that that anime will win, which might make fans of that anime brag and cause issues around the site. Given how quite a few people here cause problems at the slightest whiff that something is unfair, I'd rather avoid the issue altogether by not giving any one series an inherent advantage, lest I get accused of favoritism, rigging the bracket, etc.

If one anime has several representatives, it increases the chance that that anime will win, which might make fans of that anime brag and cause issues around the site. Given how quite a few people here cause problems at the slightest whiff that something is unfair, I'd rather avoid the issue altogether by not giving any one series an inherent advantage, lest I get accused of favoritism, rigging the bracket, etc.

you aren't making it more fair. You are actually creating bias in your attempt at order.

People aren't going to be bragging about some specific anine having the opening that wind this, and even if they were so inclined this wouldn't prevent it. No matter how it turns out, the winning OP will be from an anime, so you aren't changing the end result.

As for people getting weirdly prideful about one thing having high representation... That's why there are fights and bragging all over the forum of how much FE is in the waiting wars, right? I'm sure you can identify my sarcasm, because as can bee seen in similar tournaments, the issues you worry about simply aren't things that happen, even in this community.

you aren't making it more fair. You are actually creating bias in your attempt at order.

People aren't going to be bragging about some specific anine having the opening that wind this, and even if they were so inclined this wouldn't prevent it. No matter how it turns out, the winning OP will be from an anime, so you aren't changing the end result.

As for people getting weirdly prideful about one thing having high representation... That's why there are fights and bragging all over the forum of how much FE is in the waiting wars, right? I'm sure you can identify my sarcasm, because as can bee seen in similar tournaments, the issues you worry about simply aren't things that happen, even in this community.

Do tell how I "created" bias.

Yes, but weighting the tournament in any way, allowing for any exception, would be a bad idea, and with both allowing for multiple suggestions per person and vote changes, it's also considerably simpler to just have an "only one OP per anime" rule. Not exactly what many of you wanted, evidently, but it works better than any other option available.

I'd prefer being safe than sorry. People have a tendency to take a mile when given a millimeter, and when the rules are more defined there's less room for fuckups. Besides, terrible people and reactions are a fact of life at this point, this is preemptive damage control.

Chaos Sonic, I said 4 max per person. Please trim your list to four.

This is a best OP poll, not a best anime poll. If for some reason Naruto fills all the entries in the poll(which already didn't happen) Naruto's one saving grace are its good OPs so there's nothing wrong with that. And if some members take pride in their chosen 'anime' enough that their entry winning is going to give them an ego boost for some likely petty reason, why not let them? I don't see any danger and no matter how you look at it you're trying to create a problem out of nothing. I also don't see how limiting it to one OP per anime makes the poll any simpler. The other option is to not have that rule, which won't cause any funking problems at all.

Also iunno, can't help but see making this thread as an jabroni-ish move. The person who suggested the idea declared very clearly they were going to make it pretty soon and I was actually looking forward to it even though it's literally just an internet poll.

Archived