Sylvan [Duel Links]

Tinkerer

With the Rampage of the Forest Mini Box coming out tomorrow, I'm pretty excited to build this deck.  I have an idea of how I want to build it, but I haven't played Sylvans irl, so I'm unsure if I'm building it "optimally".

[spoiler=Deck List]

2 Sylvan Guardioak - Hermitree will be in the box, but not Sagequoia.  Though Hermitree is easy to get out irl, I can't see myself easily ditching 2 monsters in Links for it.  Guardioak on the other hand should be easier to summon and comes with the 2nd best excavation amount in the Deck.  Idea is to get this guy out as early as possible.

1 Sylvan Lotuswain - In the deck for its recycling effect, not as much for summoning.  Not sure if I should keep or replace though.

2 World Carrotweight Champion (henceforth referred to as CwC) - A strong excavation target + a solid beatstick.  Not the best opener, but once it hits grave, it should pay for itself in spades.

1 Sylvan Flowerknight - NS playstarter + beatstick.  Also not the best opener, but it can open up more plays on summon than CwC.

3 Sylvan Marshalleaf - Better playstarter since it excavates 2 + it has monster removal in its excavation effect which can potentially set up for a big push.

2 Flowerbot - Easy to combo with CwC.  Sets up your Deck for excavations.  At worst a way to dig into your Deck to pick up spells that your excavating would send to the bottom.  Honestly seems a bit iffy and I might think of a replacement if they don't stack up the way I need 'em to.

2 Sylvan Komushroomo - Excavating 5 is 1/3 of your deck right off the bat.  Definitely the best setup card as long as it isn't popped before being flipped.  Its excavation effect popping backrow is also really good.  It being slow and easy fodder for Gladiator Beasts is the only reason I can't put myself to run it @3.

1 Rose Lover - Banish from grave for a free SS from hand seems like it would be extremely easy to set up.  At worst, if it gets stuck in my hand, I can always dump it with CwC.  The only thing is that the Deck seems like it could burn through its resources pretty quickly leaving Rose Lover without a target, but that seems like a better problem to have than drawing into a 3rd high level monster without a means to summon it.

2 Hey, Trunade! - I'm being a bit optimistic by saying I'll have 2, but I could replace with Anti-Magic Arrows as well.  Basically, a card to allow me to push for game without much worry about backrow ruining my day.

3 Enemy Controller - 3 might be a bit much, but this being one of the best defensive cards that could also double as an OTK enabler by stealing an opponent's monster seems like it would be perfect.  Coupled with the fact that this can turn generally bad openers (CwC, Rose Lover) into plays makes this much better.

1 Jar of Avarice - I only have the one, and I'm not gonna dig my way through a big box to get another.  Good recycling card that lets me keep my advantage up.  Will see how necessary it'll be once I'm able to playtest the deck.

Skill will probably end up being Restart.  Don't actively know what other skills might be useful for this deck.  Aroma Strategy doesn't really help in any way, though it would be nice to know in advance at least one excavation effect you'd be triggering.

Thoughts?  Ideas?

3 Econ as your backrow isn't going to help very much, you really can't deal against Hazy or Sea Stealth Attack. The recycling also isn't much of a need for this deck. Either you're going for an OTK or grind deck, in the ladder case, you'd play 30 cards with restart instead, similar to LS. Also you should consider taking out Trunade for a Cosmic Cyclone. At least, I would.

Yeah, I meant to put in the OP that I wanted a more OTK-heavy variant (probably implied it, but should've been more open about it).  I have some ideas for control variants as well, but I wanted to make something a little more aggressive to start out.

I currently don't have CC (actually only started DL about 3 weeks ago, tbh, so I'm still trying to collect staples) but I don't think I can afford much big box diving.  Removing the recycling in favor of more turbo could be fine though.  In randomizing opening hands, I realized how awful it was having Lotuswain or Avarice.  Maybe I'll add another Flowerknight for another opening play..?  Will need to work on ratios a bit.

I'm aware of Hazy and SSA, but I'm not too sure that I've got anything that would be able to handle them at all regardless. Any recommendations against those matchups specifically?

Archived