Unspoil Me: Rewatch shows like the first time (feat. Hypnotherapy)

Dova

Unspoil me is a 23 minute long video designed to use hypnotism to suppress memories of shows you concentrate on, allowing you to watch them again without having any memory of it beforehand. The initial excitement, rush etc.

I discovered it from one of the most reputable sources on the internet, Matpat, in his latest MiB centered Film Theory, where he mentions it working partially for him and a friend. However, upon doing actual research, such as just looking through the first page of google, it seems that there's a much more skeptical and negative view on it. There's even an article by someone documenting what they went through

I am interested in using myself to see if this works, partially because I've always had an interest in Psychology, and partially because...well, if it does work, this could be a new way of binge-watching shows, or binge-rewatching them. It might even work with games (Skyrim, I'm coming back to you! ) But due to my limited actual experience/knowledge in this area, I intend to do a lot of research before actually subjecting myself to it.

So yeah, what do you all think of this? Or even just hypnotherapy, for that matter.

This sounds pretty great, I think my main concern with this though would be the chance that intentionally suppressing certain memories could lead to unintentionally suppressing others that relate to what you are suppressing. Most of the few things I have retained I would prefer to remember than not, though if I were to forget things I would rather it be because I had my brains despoiled out of me than unspoiled.  

Put simply, this isn't really how hypnosis works.

Any effect it would have is some form of placebo (keep in mind that this isn't too far off of the actual effect of hypnosis, so I wouldn't call it a complete loss).

As for the risk of forgetting things you don't want to, I can assure that, if this works at all (which I am personally skeptical of), it won't make you forget repress a memory you don't want to. Despite the way it is often depicted in media, hypnosis in absolutely no way takes over the mind, or forces anything upon it you aren't asking for. Rather, it alters your state of consciousness to (potentially) cause you to dissociate to an extent, which can help achieve various goals. I'm in no way an expert, I am just speaking from various things I've read over the years, what I learned in college psychology, and my in experience in being hypnotized.

Tl;dr I super doubt this works, but no real harm in trying.

From what I understand, it doesn't "delete" memories, it just helps you repress them. As MatPat points out in the theory in question, the memories "lost" through use of the video can be dug back up with some effort, you just don't have access to them- exactly like repressed traumatic memories.

If the video does everything advertised, then you aren't wiping the memories . . . you're hiding them. Just as you said, Giga, hypnosis lets you disassociate to accomplish tasks that you normally wouldn't mentally be able to (thanks to the restraint of social norms, anxiety, etc.). We're essentially throwing our memories into the recycle bin of our minds, which we don't normally have access to. It's all still there, and can be restored if you go through the proper procedure, but our minds just assume that it's gone.

Archived