The Monarchs Awaken

Draconus297

This is basically a combination of 3 anime/manga Monarch support cards we never got, blended into a single card because why not. I just thought it was funny that one had an on-destruction effect, one had an activated effect, and one required you to banish it from the Graveyard.

I think I might want to rearrange the effects somewhat, but I don't know which order to put them in. As is, the effects are in the same place they were in the original cards. If anything, I'd probably want what is currently the activated effect to be the banish effect, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which one should be the activated effect and which should trigger on destruction.

[spoiler=Version 1]

The Monarchs Awaken

Normal Trap

Activate the effects of all face-up "Monarch" monsters you control that activate when that monster is Tribute Summoned. If this card is destroyed: You can add 1 monster with 2400 ATK from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card from your Graveyard to reveal any number of "Monarch" monsters in your hand: Special Summon 1 "Serf Token" (Warrior-Type/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) for each of those revealed monsters, with the same Attributes as those revealed monsters. "Serf Tokens" cannot be destroyed (by battle or card effect) or targeted by your opponent's card effects during the turn they are Summoned.

Version 2:

The Monarchs Awaken

Normal Trap

During the turn you activate any of this card's effects, or during your next turn if this card is activated during your opponent's turn, you cannot Summon monsters from the Extra Deck. Activate the effects of all face-up "Monarch" monsters you control that activate when that monster is Tribute Summoned. If this card is destroyed: You can add 1 monster with 2400 ATK from your Deck to your hand. You can banish this card from your Graveyard to reveal any number of "Monarch" monsters in your hand with different names: Special Summon 1 "Serf Token" (Warrior-Type/Level 1/ATK 0/DEF 0) for each of those revealed monsters, with the same Attribute as one of those revealed monsters. "Serf Tokens" cannot be destroyed (by battle or card effect) or targeted by your opponent's card effects during the turn they are Summoned. You can only activate this effect of "The Monarchs Awaken" once per turn.

Actually, I'd say this should only target and apply the effect of 1 Monarch monster you control -this can EASILY get out of hand if you Soul Charge or Reborn out, which is also why thinking of this being a GY-banishing effect gives me....all the shivers. Seriously, we've enough issues with Tribute-Summoning heavy Archetypes as is in this here format.

But otherwise, the other 2 effects seem okay.

Serf Tokens tho? I'll give you battle, I'll give you card effects but both on a series of TOKENS just screams for a limit on this card, especially considering that Tokens can be used for...stuff outside of Tribute Summons, let's just say. Maybe have it so that while you control a "Serf Token", you can't Special Summon from the Extra Deck-same as the restrictions of all the other Monarch Spells/Traps. 

(also, love the support for the lesser Monarchs in that destruction effect as well even tho I know it'll likely only go to searching out Kuraz or being popped by Kuraz. Do wish there was a less cumbersome way to utilize the lesser Monarchs as well.)

P.S. probably may wanna keep the Attributes of the Serf Tokens the same as the Attribute of 1 of those revealed monsters of your choice. Being linear helps in this instance-not many people run multiple different variants of the Attribute-specific Mega Monarchs (aka the ones other than Erebus and Ehther) for that to matter which specific Attribute among the revealed monsters is particularly necessary.

This first version is just 3 anime/manga cards stapled together, so naturally some wacky interactions would be brought up by things that it wasn't initially used for. Triple Caius going off simultaneously would be pretty nuts, but as the activated effect of a Normal Trap that requires Monarchs to be on board to use, I had thought that wacky would be acceptable.

The Serf Token effect is only really any good if you can get a bunch of Monarchs in your hand, which is probably the biggest problem Monarchs have- consistency. Basically, it can go off hard . . . or do so little that you'd be better served running Scapegoat. I had actually been thinking about requiring Monarchs of different names for the reveal, to make it so that you'd need to run at least 5 different Monarchs (correct me if I'm wrong, but even pure Monarchs typically only run 4 actual Monarch names iirc) if you wanted to go crazy using Serf Tokens for any purposes besides just Tribute fodder. Then, if you can't get this to the Graveyard, you have multiple Garnets. It's not a perfect solution, but it is at least a creative one. I might even require different Attributes to make it work for the same purpose it was used to accomplish- Caius and Thestalos being brought out side by side with a Double Summon clone.

I mean, the Mega Monarchs require Tribute Summoned monsters of the same Attribute as themselves for the bonus effects anyway iirc, so I'm not seeing the big issue for Tributing a Token to bring out the regular Monarch, then going over the regular to make a Mega just as you normally would.

Also, additional funny targets for the search effect include Jinzo, REBD, Amazoness Queen, Chthonian Emperor Dragon, Infernoid Sjette, and Vanity's Fiend.

Archived