A New Member of the Staff Team

Tormented

35 members have voted

1. 1. Promote Kazooie (Birdie) to a member of the staff team

• Yes
    • No

Calling her a hindrance and lax are really unfair.

She proved otherwise last year. She was active, she impeded nothing, and she made pushes. Activity is a real concern, but calling her a hindrance like that is the opposite of past evidence. She’s only lax in regards to her free time, always making sure she gets any commitments taken care of, to the point of stepping down when she felt she wouldn’t be able to pull her weight.

i don’t want to make a case for her, I want to respect her wishes, but I need to make a point of that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to agree with Toyo here and change my vote to a hard no. That should be the default if I'm unconvinced anyways.

Good judgment isn't enough for me. I need to know what they're specifically needed for and how they'll be able to do it. The mod team shouldn't be a who's who of the cool kids, and that's exactly what it looks like this will lead to.

Careful now Roxas, you should go check out Toyo's status where she was railing about how we have like 8 mods for an active user-base that normally caps off at 40

The implication of that statement is that we have too many, but I'll take it elsewhere. I certainly disagree almost completely with everything you said in the rest of the first part tho

Looked at the status, and no, Toyo focused on saying we don't need more mods.

And if you disagree with me, that's fine. The purpose of this thread is to engineer a debate.

Calling her a hindrance and lax are really unfair.

She proved otherwise last year. She was active, she impeded nothing, and she made pushes. Activity is a real concern, but calling her a hindrance like that is the opposite of past evidence. She’s only lax in regards to her free time, always making sure she gets any commitments taken care of, to the point of stepping down when she felt she wouldn’t be able to pull her weight.

i don’t want to make a case for her, I want to respect her wishes, but I need to make a point of that.

Jesse made a good point of what the team shouldn't be, and I'm sorry, but it seems like she would only be brought on due to favoritism rather than her qualifications, and I believe that favoritism is most apparent with you.

The only push I recall her making was for transparency threads, and… well, all I've seen so far is that she would be reorganizing that thread. And she's said that, even if she wasn't a mod, she would still like to talk with the team about it, so really, she doesn't even need to be a mod to continue working on the one thing she pushed for.

I will say this. If we didn't get Black and Cow and Torms all within a (relatively) short period of time then I would have no problem voting yes. That is what's changed, as far as I can see.

It may be restating the same thing as before but well that's really the only noteworthy addendum I could make to what I said earlier.

I’m not telling you to support her. I haven’t made any push to promote her, publicly or privately. I opted out of posting here because I didn’t want it to come across as favoritism. 

I said it was unfair to make claims that aren’t consistent with what occurred. What you said did not line up with what happened in the past. Calling her a hindrance was unfair, considering she was nothing of the sort, and her actions in the past go against what you said. Making the transparency threads was a big deal in the first place.

i don’t care if people oppose her or support her. This is about the community. But it’s unfair to make claims that are sensationalized or otherwise untrue.

Elaborate how it was sucky please

I honestly miss being able to make light hearted posts in TCG when there are applicable circumstances. And we have Black now. Who knows the game better

Sucky as in "full of shitposting and infrequent yet volatile arguments". Try better to remember that what you like isn't what everyone else likes. We already have a section for shitposting, so if you want to be """lighthearted""" then take it there.

Jesse made a good point of what the team shouldn't be, and I'm sorry, but it seems like she would only be brought on due to favoritism rather than her qualifications, and I believe that favoritism is most apparent with you.

Check the first page again. There are 26 "yes" votes to 7 "no" votes. Just because not everyone is voicing their vocal agreement that she should be mod doesn't make it favoritism. Sorry if it comes off as rude, but I really think you're seeing something that isn't there. So, don't act like this was something the mod team is pushing on the community without their consideration or consent, because the community has kind of spoken on the matter.

I’m not telling you to support her. I haven’t made any push to promote her, publicly or privately. I opted out of posting here because I didn’t want it to come across as favoritism. 

I said it was unfair to make claims that aren’t consistent with what occurred. What you said did not line up with what happened in the past. Calling her a hindrance was unfair, considering she was nothing of the sort, and her actions in the past go against what you said. Making the transparency threads was a big deal in the first place.

i don’t care if people oppose her or support her. This is about the community. But it’s unfair to make claims that are sensationalized or otherwise untrue.

I am making statements based on my responses to what happened, so I don't appreciate the idea that what I'm saying somehow doesn't line up with the "truth". I have some personal concerns precisely because of what's happened in the past.

Check the first page again. There are 26 "yes" votes to 7 "no" votes. Just because not everyone is voicing their vocal agreement that she should be mod doesn't make it favoritism. Sorry if it comes off as rude, but I really think you're seeing something that isn't there. So, don't act like this was something the mod team is pushing on the community without their consideration or consent, because the community has kind of spoken on the matter.

I don't think you're coming off as rude, and I'm rather grateful to you for reminding me. I still have issues with some of the mods here, but that's separate for the 26 votes in favor of her, which does show that more people have their own reasons for supporting her. I hope that clarifies where I'm coming from.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply favoritism. It's not any better just because the user base approves/wants it.

Sorry, I realize that you were not suggesting that. I saw favoritism from Black and Dad, and I was making that case by building on what you had said, but I apologize if I was passing my own argument off as your own. I was not clear in distinguishing what I agreed with you on from what I was adding independently.

I saw favoritism from Dad.

Incorrect. While it was my suggestion that we continue dialogue regarding her return, I was also the one who argued against her reasoning for coming back and the vague support that has gone in her favor.

I have no reason to favor her.

Birdie is not someone I would trust to be a steadying hand. She seems too lax to me, more concerned with maintaining the current state of things, and not really taking much initiative. Dad had the right idea that we need a team that acts swiftly, and as such, I simply do not believe Birdie fits the mold that Dad described.

I think she would be in a hindrance, in that she would prevent the team from doing... well, anything, really.

Yeh she might prevent the mods from just banning people they dislike. Might work out well for you because they don't have an ideological hate boner for you, but life isn't as rosey for others. Birdie believes in due process unlike most of the mod team

Today, on "Winter is right and what the funk is going on,"

Unless we agree to shrink the team I really do think we need Birdie and her steady hand to restrain the worst impulses of the team.

You'd have to be on the wrong end of that situation to realize what I mean

Even if there isn't some specific task to be done, that doesn't mean birdie shouldn't be a mod. Did cowcow and black have specific tasks? No. They found them. Not having some self-destructing mission briefing in no way prevented them from getting stuff done. As a matter of fact, this open-ended entrance gave them freedom to improve things wherever they saw need.

If someone thinks the mod team has no need for improvement at this point, they are wrong. Having Zai and Night step down doesn't fix the base-level problems with its operation. And the whole sentiment of "let's trim the mod team before adding to it" is defunct as well. Mod team got trimmed, yes, but that only managed to happen with the catalyst of the new additions. Birdie is such a catalyst for positive change.

She doesn't need some 3 step plan, she doesn't need some huge resume. She has her head screwed on straight, and shows a willingness to be helpful toward members and work hard with whatever power she is given. I'd be supporting anyone else with such attributes, but she's already right here so I'm damn well going to support her.

Also, as a person who has never been warned, I can still see copious reasons not to trust them.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone what happened the last time we trimmed the mod team: a sense of being irreplaceable due to their low numbers and lack of "worthy" successors. I think we should at least add so we can safely cut without having any issues in the future.

This I can agree with, and it would make me more comfortable with trimming members of the team. I also agree with the sentiment that we do not "need" more mods, so while it's not entirely necessary, I think any concerns about trimming or adding mods could be alleviated if there is a sense of "succession" with the team.

I wanna come back to this later tonight, but I do want to point out that the team is still slimming.

We’re losing Zai. That takes us to 7.

We seem to be losing another member. Down to 6.

Adding a new mod will likely happen whether it’s Birdie or not. Discussing whether or not we need more members still has merit, but it’s likely that a successor will be appointed in the foreseeable future.

I wanna come back to this later tonight, but I do want to point out that the team is still slimming.

We’re losing Zai. That takes us to 7.

We seem to be losing another member. Down to 6.

Adding a new mod will likely happen whether it’s Birdie or not. Discussing whether or not we need more members still has merit, but it’s likely that a successor will be appointed in the foreseeable future.

Appointed? 

Don't try to leverage a leave of absence that he was mature and responsible to take into an attack on him. There is thinking critically, and there is just being a dick.

Especially given what thread this is, what the funk man

Context Giga, I've been talking about reducing the team as a whole and made a similar point about Evilfusion and TCG too

It goes back to a view that YCM largely self governs...jeez...like is it really so hard for your knee jerk rep squad to ask for a clarification or read context? 

Context Giga, I've been talking about reducing the team as a whole and made a similar point about Evilfusion and TCG too

It goes back to a view that YCM largely self governs...jeez...like is it really so hard for your knee jerk rep squad to ask for a clarification or read context? 

You singled out Sakura. No one is going to care that you made a similar point about Evilfusion and TCG, and we know that you've been talking about the team as a whole. We are aware of the context, and I believe Giga was criticizing your comment because you singled out Sakura, and at that point, the larger context does not excuse the otherwise hostile nature of your comment.

And if you want to offer clarification, you can do so without being rude to Giga or anyone who liked his post.

I made it in THIS thread. A page ago. Yesterday. And you responded to it multiple time. Even quoting that post. Jesus Roxas, there has to be a reasonable limit to intellectual dishonesty.

Furthermore, I'm also the same sob who demanded that neither Sakura or Night be demoted in any way till they logged in. When I want to criticize a person, I'll make damn clear of it with no equivocation

I wanna remind you all that the purpose of THIS thread is strictly related to support or disagreement with Birdie being promoted to moderator.

At this time, I'd like to ask that all other concerns be directed to their appropriate threads in Comments and Suggestions or News, or that the thread be made to address those particular concerns you may have.

Thanks.

I am making statements based on my responses to what happened, so I don't appreciate the idea that what I'm saying somehow doesn't line up with the "truth". I have some personal concerns precisely because of what's happened in the past.

Then that's personal, and it shouldn't be presented in such a way where you actively make statements without backing to them, like being a hindrance. I also saw where you said "I don't like her" eariler, and you do you. It's fine to make a character case, but your points have been trying to cover that aspect up. If it's something that needs to be down to the nitty-gritty, do that. Don't pussyfoot around. 

I also haven't given her any favortism. My only posts leading into any of this, before yesterday, was looking for answers to why she was shoved aside, and then another one to tell the team not to use her name if they weren't going to treat her as a serious option. I have not treated her with any favortism before or during this process.

Now, do I like the idea of her being promoted? Yes. If it took swapping me for her, I would take that option, because I believe in her ability to make a difference. As a member, I would love to make a case for her right now. However, as a Moderator, it is not my place to do that. I'm not going to force my logic on people when the entire point of this is that the community would be the deciding factor. That's what she wanted from it, because, realistically, we could have reinstated her based on the offer to return, and the mod concensus was 7 sure/yes with 1 idgaf... but that isn't what she stands for. 

I'm not going into it any more than that. I don't want to make a push. The point remains that I have done nothing to bolster her chances, push her forward, anything, unless you count looking for answers, die, and then later be revived by another Moderator mentioning re-promoting her.

Figured I'd say once again since I saw the numbers being brought up.

Personally speaking the numbers of yes and no don't mean much to me. We've gotten some points as to why she should be let on and I will say that the actual posts do much more for me than the votes.

That's just me but honestly for making this decision I'm going to be looking more at the actual posts than the poll itself.

Figured I'd say once again since I saw the numbers being brought up.

Personally speaking the numbers of yes and no don't mean much to me. We've gotten some points as to why she should be let on and I will say that the actual posts do much more for me than the votes.

That's just me but honestly for making this decision I'm going to be looking more at the actual posts than the poll itself.

I want to make it clear: I brought up the numbers thing because some mods were beginning to be thrown under the bus for frankly unjust reasons, and I felt I should bring it up to save some heat.

Archived