Goyo Archetype ( based around the cards like Goyo Guardian )

Ultimagamer

This was a fun idea I had based around the "Goyo" synchro and fusion monsters that were released a long while back. They used to be really good ( guardian in particular ) but now they've fallen out of relevance. This was set of cards I thought of based around summoning all of the "Goyo" synchro monsters and making the fusion monster a good comeback option. 

I've listed all of the synchro and fusion monsters first, so you get a good idea of the archetype's extra deck. After "Goyo Emperor", all of the other cards are the ones I created

I always love getting feedback, so any thoughts or ideas you have is always appreciated

Goyo Defender

Level 3 / Earth / Warrior / Synchro

1000 attack / 1000 defense

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

Once per turn, if all monsters you control are Earth Warrior-Type Synchro Monsters (min. 1): You can Special Summon “Goyo Defender” from your Extra Deck. When this card is targeted for an attack: You can make this card gain 1000 attack for each Earth Warrior-Type Synchro monster you control (other than this card), until the end of the Damage Step.

Goyo Chaser

Level 5 / Earth / Warrior / Synchro

1900 attack / 1000 defense

This card gains 300 attack for each Earth Warrior-Type Synchro Monster on the field (other than this card). When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that monster to your side of the field, but its attack becomes halved.

Goyo Predator

Level 6 / Earth / Warrior / Synchro

2400 attack / 1200 defense

When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that monster to your side of the field, but any battle damage it inflicts to a player is halved. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Predator” once per turn.

Goyo Guardian

Level 6 / Earth / Warrior / Synchro

2800 attack / 2000 defense

1 Earth Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters

When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that monster to your field in Defense Position.

Goyo King

Level 8 / Earth / Warrior / Synchro

2800 attack / 2000 defense

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Synchro monsters

When this card declares an attack on an opponent’s monster: This card gains 400 attack for each Earth Warrior-Type Synchro Monster you control, until the end of the Damage Step. When this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can activate 1 of these effects;

• Special Summon that monster to your side of the field

• Take control of 1 face-up monster your opponent controls

Goyo Emperor

Level 10 / Earth / Warrior / Fusion

3300 attack / 2500 defense

2 Earth Warrior-Type Synchro Monsters

When this card, or a monster you control that is owned by your opponent destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon that monster to your side of the field. When your opponent Special Summons a monster(s), except during the Damage Step: You can Tribute 1 Earth Warrior-Type Synchro Monster; take controls of that monster(s). If this face-up card leaves the field: Return control of all monsters you control to the owner.

Goyo Enforcer

Link 2 / Earth / Warrior / Link

Link Markers: Bottom Left, Bottom Right

Link Materials: 2 “Goyo” monsters, except “Goyo Enforcer”

Attack: 2000

( this card is always treated as a Synchro monster )

If this card destroys an opponent’s monster by battle and sends it to the graveyard: you can banish that monster. You can tribute 1 monster this card points to: special summon 1 “Goyo” monster from your main deck in defense mode. If this card leaves the field: you can special summon 1 “Goyo” Synchro monster from your extra deck ignoring it’s summoning conditions. You can only use each effect of "Goyo Enforcer" once per turn.

Goyo Outcasts

Level 1 / Earth / Warrior / Tuner / Effect

100 attack / 100 defense

Once per turn: you can discard 1 card; special summon 1 “Goyo” monster from your main deck, except “Goyo Outcasts”. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Outcasts” once per turn. If this card is sent to the graveyard as a material for the summon of a “Goyo” monster: you can draw 1 card, then all “Goyo” monsters you control gain the following effect.

• This card gains 600 attack and defense.

Goyo Locals

Level 2 / Earth / Warrior / Effect

100 attack / 100 defense

If this card is special summoned: you can add 1 “Goyo” card from your main deck to your hand, except “Goyo Locals”. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Locals” once per turn. A “Goyo” monster that uses this card as a material for it’s summon gains the following effect.

• Once per turn: you can target 1 “Goyo” monster in your graveyard; this card gains that card’s effects until the end phase of your next turn.

Goyo Townsfolk

Level 3 / Earth / Warrior / Tuner

100 attack / 100 defense

Once per turn: you can discard 1 card; special summon 1 “Goyo” monster from your hand or graveyard, except “Goyo Townsfolk”. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Townsfolk” once per turn. If this card is sent to the graveyard as a material for the summon of a “Goyo” monster: all “Goyo” monsters you control gain this effect.

• This card cannot be targeted by your opponent's card effects

Goyo Police

Level 4 / Earth / Warrior

You can banish 1 Earth monster from your graveyard: special summon this card from your hand or graveyard. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Police” once per turn. If this card is sent to the graveyard as a material for the summon of a “Goyo” monster: you can draw 1 card and reveal it. If it is a “Goyo” card you can special summon this card from your graveyard, but banish it when it leaves the field

Goyo Chief

Level 5 / Earth / Warrior

Once per turn: you can pay 1000 lifepoints and declare 1 level from 2-6. This card’s level becomes that level for the rest of this turn. When this card is special summoned: you can special summon 1 “Goyo” monster from your main deck, except “Goyo Chief”. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Chief” once per turn. You cannot summon monsters from the extra deck during the turn you activate this effect, except for Earth Warrior type monsters.

Goyo Head Enforcer

Level 6 / Earth / Warrior

Once per turn: you can pay 1000 lifepoints and declare 1 level from 2-6. This card’s level becomes that level for the rest of this turn. When this card is special summoned: you can draw 1 card, then add 1 “Goyo” card from your deck or graveyard to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Goyo Head Enforcer” once per turn. You cannot summon monsters from the extra deck during the turn you activate this effect, except for Earth Warrior type monsters.

Goyo Fusion

Spell - Normal

Fusion summon 1 “Goyo Emperor” from your extra deck by sending the required materials from your field to the graveyard and/or by banishing the required materials from your graveyard. You can banish this card from your graveyard: during each battle phase this turn, when a “Goyo” monster you control battles, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step. You can only use each effect of “Goyo Fusion” once per turn.

Goyo Dojo

Spell - Field

All “Goyo” monsters you control gain 300 attack. Once per turn, if you would Synchro summon a “Goyo” Synchro monster you can use a monster in your hand or banish one of the materials from your graveyard. At the end of the battle phase, if a “Goyo” Synchro monster you control ( or controlled ) battled a monster, but that monster wasn’t destroyed by that battle: you can take control of that monster, and if that monster has a level, you can treat that monster as a tuner monster.

Return of the Goyo

Spell - Normal

Target 1 “Goyo” monster in your graveyard: special summon that target ignoring it’s summoning conditions. During your main phase, if this card is in your graveyard: you can target 2 “Goyo” synchro, fusion, or link monsters in your graveyard; return those targets to your extra deck, then add this card to your hand. You can only use this effect of “Return of the Goyo” once per turn.

Goyo Search and Seize

Spell - Equip

If you control a synchro or fusion type “Goyo” monster: target 1 monster your opponent controls; take control of that target, it’s original attribute and type become Earth and warrior, and if that target has a level, you can treat that monster as a tuner for the synchro summon of a “Goyo” monster. You can only activate 1 “Goyo Search and Seize” per turn.

Preparations of the Goyo

Spell - Quickplay

Target 1 “Goyo” monster you control: During this turn, other monsters originally owned by you cannot attack, also apply one of the following effects.

• The targeted monster can attack twice during each battle phase this turn

• When the equipped monster battles your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the damage step

Attack Maneuvers of the Goyo

Spell - Equip

Equip only to a “Goyo” synchro or fusion monster you control. The equipped monster gains 500 attack, also it can make up to 2 attacks on monsters during each battle phase. If the equipped monster destroys an opponent’s monster by battle: you can add 1 “Goyo” spell or trap card from your deck to your hand, except “Attack Maneuvers of the Goyo”.

Stopping Power of the Goyo

Trap - Normal

When an opponent’s monster declares an attack while you control a “Goyo” monster: negate that attack, then you can apply one of the following effects

• Take control of one monster your opponent controls other than the attacking monster.

• Return 1 monster your opponent controls to the hand

During your next turn only “Goyo” monsters can attack. You can only activate 1 “Stopping Power of the Goyo” per turn.

Final Decree of the Goyo

Trap - Counter

When your opponent activates a card or effect while you control a “Goyo” monster: you can negate that effect, then destroy that card. If the destroyed card was a monster you can you can discard 1 card to special summon that card to your field. During your next turn only “Goyo” monsters can attack. You can only activate 1 “Final Decree of the Goyo” per turn.

The lack of HOPT or even OPT, on Enforcer is a bad idea. It basically means you can cycle through all of your monsters in your Deck just by Tributing to SS, then Tributing to SS, rinse and repeat. Talk about deck-thinning and a potential engine, or even OTKs that deal damage when a monster is SSd. Regardless, with your current card if you open Outcast (or Townsfolk), you can do this combo:

• Use Outcasts/Townsfolk to SS Chief from your Deck
  • Use Chief to SS Townsfolk/Outcasts from your Deck (whichever one you didn't open)
  • Use Townsfolk/Outcasts to SS Locals from your Deck
  • Use Locals to search out Police
  • Use Chief and Townsfolk to Link Summon Enforcer (which now cannot be destroyed thanks to Townsfolk's effect)
  • Sync 3 with Outcasts and Locals for Defender #1 to Linked Zone #1 (Enforcer now gains 600 ATK and can grab one of their effects in the GY)
  • Use Defender #1 to SS Defender #2 to Linked Zone #2
  • Tribute Defender #1 with Enforcer to SS Head Enforcer from your Deck
  • Use Head Enforcer to grab any Goyo from your GY and draw 1 card (your hand is now restocked from your discards for Outcasts+Townsfolk)
  • Use Defender #2 to SS Defender #3 to Linked Zone #1
  • Use Defender #2 and #3 Xyz Summon M-X-Saber Invoker to Linked Zone #1
  • Use Invoker to SS another Townspeople from your Deck

Now, with Head Enforcer, you can Synchro any Level 5-8 Earth-Warrior Monster from your Deck. You control 3 monsters, and haven't SSd Police from your hand yet. Even your Enforcer is at 2600, cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects, and can grab an SS from Deck effect from your Townsfolk/Outcast in your GY. As a reminder, this is just with opening 1 card that can be searched with Reinforcement of the Army. Hey, even the Predaplant Cobra engine works in this Deck, as it nets you your Goyo Fusion AND Invoker, the latter which then gets you Outcasts/Townsfolk and goes back into the opening combo mentioned earlier. This deck is far too consistent and easily accessible at the moment, so...nerfing is in order.

Let's start off with accessibility. Your Link Monster, aside from lacking any restriction on its effects at all, is Summonable via just Attribute restrictions. I would suggest EARTH Warrior at the very least; the problem here, and later on, is that EARTH Warrior is one of the most generic and prevalent typings in the game, so...yeah. Even that might not be enough. Also, the treated as a Synchro monster...I understand that its to fuel the other monster's effects, but the Fusion monster didn't have it, and I don't think this needs it. It feels like a cheaty means of fitting it in with the other effects; its a Link monster, it sticks out, and let it stick out. If you must keep it, at least give it a cost of some description for a turn, or 2 turns, or something.

There wasn't really much to work with, but swarming fits in with Defender, I guess. I do think that you have far too much consistency in the main Deck monsters, and not much creativity elsewhere. Maybe I'm just a little salty on the monsters giving the Synchro monsters effects, which I only liked in Yang Zing because it provided protection and passive buffs, which you do have on your Level 1/2 but not on 3/4. Also, the Level 5/6 being any Level you want; same vein as Enforcer in being cheaty, at least imo. I would at least like a cost on it. Perhaps you could differentiate Townsfolk and Outcast more, as their main effects are literally identical. Do like the main effects on the other monsters though, despite them just purely being supportive.

In regards to your Spells, your Fusion one...is alright, I guess? I'm not a fan of one spell for one except for a boss, but this is a boss, so I don't know why I mentioned that. I was hoping for something relating to control in the extra clause of said Spell, but I guess if you control monsters belonging to your opponent, you wouldn't need to Fusion Summon due to you already having an advantage, but still, it's the only theme Goyo really had beforehand. Dojo I really love, seeming like something Konami would've designed for the archetype if they liked it, and my only real suggestion is to change that and/or to an OR, as I think Synchro Summoning without using any monster on your side of the field is a little cheaty. Return I'm on torn on, as it loops with Guardian. That was probably the intent, but if we go back to the above combo, if I use Return to SS Townsfolk from my GY while I control Defender #2 and #3, I can then use Townsfolk instead of one of the Defenders for Invoker, detach that Defender for Invoker's SS and then use the other Defender for whatever reason, I'll have Return and 3 Defenders in my GY. I shuffle 2 Defenders into my ED to add Return to my hand, and then...wow this isn't really that fast is it. Actually warmed to it while rethinking this for the 4th time, but leaving my train of thought here so you can see potential combos. If you intentionally did this, well done; I like it. Search and Sieze is just a good, flavourful card, so nothing to say in that regards. 

Very powerful, and while it doesn't do that much thematically, you didn't have much to work with, and I think you've done the best you could've done. Just some general nerfing all around, and you can deal with the issues this archetype still presents. Best of luck!

thanks for the feedback! I can definitely make a lot of changes to the cards where necessary

I changed the effects of enforcer ( hard once per turn ), townsfolk, chief, head enforcer, the fusion ( banish from graveyard effect ), field spell ( slight wording change to tone it down a bit ). Definitely should balance the archetype a bit

I also added some new cards to the mix ( on the end of the list, 2 new spells, 2 new traps

( small edit on final decree, gave it the discard effect ) 

I like the changes to all  of your monsters that you've done. There's not really much else to suggest in that department, as while its still fast, it's more varied and painful for you. Still a little concerned about Head Enforcer's +1 effect when sent to the GY, but it is an otherwise useless Level 6.

Preparation IS BEAUTIFUL I LOVE IT LETS HAVE 10 MORE. Nah, you are nearing the archetype limit of cards before you're going to have start dropping some, but this is a fun, simple card to use. Attack Maneuver is also really good in that regard, as I'm glad to see you taking advantage of the original theme of the archetype. Stopping Power's powerful restriction on your attacks next turn make up for the Change of Heart/Compulsory effect, but I would prefer the former to target...I don't know how you would do that, considering the latter is fine not targeting. I would suggest have "activate 1 of these effects" then add the attack negation to both effects, but adding the targeting for the control taking before it on the former. However, on Final Decree, the attacking restriction isn't quite enough. I would suggest discarding or something similar in order to grab the monster, but again, it fits in with the theme of the Goyo.

Yeah, your recent support puts your original cards to shame, even your main deck monsters with their updated effects. But now, they're all balanced and fine. Good job!

Archived