Deck Master / Commander Dueling Book Tournament

Just an idea I had after seeing Nyx's Deck Master posting thread in Misc. 

This is going to be a form of the Deck Master format seen in the Duel Monsters anime merged with the Commander format seen in MtG. The initial format of the rules was designed by me, however Azuriena has provided a much more cohesive and functional variant, which I have now below.

[spoiler=Deck Master Rules]• You designate 1 monster, that can be Normal Summoned/Set or Ritual Summoned, as your Deck Master in the Deck you submit to this tournament. Your Deck Master is part of the 40–60 cards of your Deck (meaning the rest of your Deck consists of 39–59 cards). Every player in this tournament chooses a different Deck Master.

• Start your Duels with your Deck Master face-up in your Deck Master Zone. In DB, your Deck Master Zone will simply be represented by banishing your Deck Master face-up before you finish drawing your opening hand. (It is not actually considered banished.)

• Your Deck Master gains 1 or more custom effects decided by you, such as effects that apply while your Deck Master is in your Deck Master Zone, effects that activate if your Deck Master is Normal or Ritual Summoned, and even effects that are restrictions for your Deck Master. Use this thread to post your proposals or to raise any concerns you have about other Deck Masters.

• Once per turn, your Deck Master can be Normal Summoned/Set or Ritual Summoned from your Deck Master Zone as if it were in your hand. (This works like any other "as if" interaction; it is considered to be Normal Summoned/Set or Ritual Summoned from the Deck Master Zone, not from the hand.)

• If a Deck Master would be returned to the Deck, would be sent to the Graveyard, or would be banished, its owner can place it face-up in their Deck Master Zone instead.

• While your Deck Master is in your Deck Master Zone, its Level is increased by 2 for each time you Normal Summoned/Set or Ritual Summoned it from your Deck Master Zone during the Duel. Any conflicts this rule has with your Deck Master can be solved using custom effects or restrictions.

I'm thinking of an 8-man tournament, Round-Robin style, but that might change as time goes on.

Post here if you are interested, and please provide your input on the concept if you have any!

A suggestion I have is allowing at least Ritual monsters, on the condition that their summon is instead done with the ritual spell and the minimum number of required tributes increases with each re-summon (bypassing any exact-level requirements). Their effects could be a little stronger with the stricter requirements in mind.

I just say this because ritual monsters were deckmasters on at least 2 occasions, though done in kinda screwy ways.

I'm in. (But I can't promise that I'd stay.)

A suggestion I have is allowing at least Ritual monsters, on the condition that their summon is instead done with the ritual spell and the minimum number of required tributes increases with each re-summon (bypassing any exact-level requirements). Their effects could be a little stronger with the stricter requirements in mind.

For Kaleidoscope, which has a maximum number of Tributes allowed, I imagine you'd simply Tribute 1 more monster from your hand or field meaninglessly (as in the Level isn't counted)? In that case, could you Tribute a monster without a Level?

The exact Level bypassing seems like it would be a boon as well.

If pretending it's Commander, you could make it so Ritual Monsters' Levels increase by 2 every time or something. :^)

For Kaleidoscope, which has a maximum number of Tributes allowed, I imagine you'd simply Tribute 1 more monster from your hand or field meaninglessly (as in the Level isn't counted)? In that case, could you Tribute a monster without a Level?

If pretending it's Commander, you could make it so Ritual Monsters' Levels increase by 2 every time or something. :^)

I would suggest increasing it by 2, rather than simply an additional Tributes. But yeah, Rituals are great. I know what I would be picking >:3

What about just increasing the Commander's Level by 2 every time, regardless of whether or not it's a Ritual Monster?

This means that the Tributing caps out at two. Which is fair since the only issue with Normal Summoning the same monster every turn is if it's a good monster that requires no cost to Summon.

By the way, I'm not sure about calling it "Deck Master" because that tends to carry the notion that you lose the Duel if your Deck Master is destroyed.

I could try really fine-tuning the mechanics and design of all of this you'd like.

On the topic of ED monsters as Deck Masters, I feel like non-effect fusion monsters like Flame Swordsman, Darkfire Dragon, Bickuribox or Fusionist would be kinda cool to have, if you treated them like a normal monster (since that's basically what they are [Also, IIRC, Joey's Deck Master was Flame Swordsman]).

But honestly though, I really like this idea. Count me in if we are doing this.

Noting interest.

I do like the idea of the DM gaining 2 levels when overcome.  But I'd say let it max out at 3 tributes instead (rather than 2) once it hits level 10+.

I wouldn't mind non-effect fusions to work as deck masters and treated as Normal Monsters.  I'm unsure about other Extra Deck monsters as Deck Masters though (especially since I assume you made the "Normal Summonable/Ritual Summonable" rule to stop really crazy monsters from being summoned easily).  That said, I think choosing a Nomi DM should work on a case-by-case basis.  As long as we can see others' DMs, I don't think we'll let anyone else's DM slip through and be OP or too easy to summon.

I mean, If there aren't going to be any major rule changes I guess I'l just post my ideas now then.

Hiita the Fire Charmer

FIRE/Level 3/Spellcaster/Deck Master/Effect

500/1500

Passive Effect: All monsters on both players' side of the field and in both GYs are also treated as FIRE.

On being placed on the field: If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you may Special Summon any number of FIRE monsters that can be Normal Summoned from your hand, up to the number of more monster they control than you, then flip this card face-down.

Monster Effect: Flip: Target 1 face-up FIRE monster your opponent controls; take of control of that target while this card is face-up on the field.

Updated the OP with the final rules, courtesy of Azuriena!

Main point is that the Level increase has been finalized, but it maxes out at 2 Tributes instead of 3, as the latter is seemingly arbitrary. Two Tributes are quite a cost anyway.

The focus on not allowing Nomi monsters was so that your Normal Summon would be used to take out the Commander.

Your monsters looks fine for now, Chaosix.

Cyber Petit Angel
LIGHT **
Fairy/Deck Master/Effect
Passive Effect: You can send 1 Ritual Spell from your Deck to the Graveyard; gain 800 LP.
Monster Effect: If this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Cyber Angel" monster or "Machine Angel Ritual" from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Cyber Petit Angel" once per turn.
300/200

(Taking advantage of the level increase intensifies)

Just tossing together my own deckmaster, if not to participate then definitely because I wanted to post the idea.

Night Express Knight - EARTH

Level 10

Machine / Effect

While this card is in your Deck Master Zone, Level 5 or higher EARTH Machine monsters can be Normal Summoned from your hand without Tributing, but their original ATK/DEF are halved. This card can be Summoned from the Deck Master Zone without Tributing, but its effect cannot be activated, its ATK/DEF become 0, and its Level becomes 10. When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 EARTH Machine monster in your GY with 1800 or more ATK; Special Summon that target, then this card's Level becomes that target's Level.

ATK 3000 / DEF 3000

Thankfully NEK already can't be Specialed from the Deck, so I didn't need to add a clause for him.

Apprentice Magician, Deck Master

Level 2/ DARK

Spellcaster/ Effect

Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell resolves. Once per turn: you can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Spellcaster monster from your GY. You must control a Level 5 or higher Spellcaster monster to activate and resolve this effect. If this card leaves the Deck Master Zone, remove all Spell Counters from it, and Spell Counters can no longer be placed on it. If this card is Summoned: Target 1 face-up card on the field that you can place a Spell Counter on; place 1 Spell Counter on that target. If this card is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower Spellcaster-Type monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.

400 ATK/ 8PP DEF

This looks super wordy on mobile hope its not too huge

Another sort of update. No, I do not intend to let this die, especially not with this keen interest. With the weekend coming up, I will have plenty of time to look through these cards and post my comments and potentially start setting up the brackets. Remember to post any thoughts you have regarding other people's Deck Masters if you have any!

Remember to post any thoughts you have regarding other people's Deck Masters if you have any!

Okie.

I mean, If there aren't going to be any major rule changes I guess I'l just post my ideas now then.

Hiita the Fire Charmer

FIRE/Level 3/Spellcaster/Deck Master/Effect

500/1500

Passive Effect: All monsters on both players' side of the field and in both GYs are also treated as FIRE.

On being placed on the field: If your opponent controls more monsters than you do, you may Special Summon any number of FIRE monsters that can be Normal Summoned from your hand, up to the number of more monster they control than you, then flip this card face-down.

Monster Effect: Flip: Target 1 face-up FIRE monster your opponent controls; take of control of that target while this card is face-up on the field.

Looks fine.

Altergiest Marionetter

If this card is in your Deck Master Zone, you can banish a Trap card from your hand, you can activate "Altergiest" Trap card(s) from your hand this turn. 

I think this is alright.  Altergeist traps don't look as though they are too abusable with an effect like this.  (Would like a second opinion on it though)

Can I just go straight Anti-meta on this?

Majesty's Fiend

LIGHT 6*

Fiend/Effect

Monster effects cannot be activated. This does not affect your opponent's Deck Master.

2400/1000

If that's its DM effect, I've just gotta say:

That is nearly a Skill + Soul Drain with no cost or downside to just having it.  However, if that's just a reworking of its monster effect and it isn't meant to have a DM effect, I suppose that's a bit more fair then.

Just tossing together my own deckmaster, if not to participate then definitely because I wanted to post the idea.

Night Express Knight - EARTH

Level 10

Machine / Effect

While this card is in your Deck Master Zone, Level 5 or higher EARTH Machine monsters can be Normal Summoned from your hand without Tributing, but their original ATK/DEF are halved. This card can be Summoned from the Deck Master Zone without Tributing, but its effect cannot be activated, its ATK/DEF become 0, and its Level becomes 10. When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 EARTH Machine monster in your GY with 1800 or more ATK; Special Summon that target, then this card's Level becomes that target's Level.

ATK 3000 / DEF 3000

Thankfully NEK already can't be Specialed from the Deck, so I didn't need to add a clause for him.

Definitely looks interesting.  I think it's balanced.

Apprentice Magician, Deck Master

Level 2/ DARK

Spellcaster/ Effect

Each time a Spell Card is activated, place 1 Spell Counter on this card when that Spell resolves. Once per turn: you can remove 2 Spell Counters from this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 or lower Spellcaster monster from your GY. You must control a Level 5 or higher Spellcaster monster to activate and resolve this effect. If this card leaves the Deck Master Zone, remove all Spell Counters from it, and Spell Counters can no longer be placed on it. If this card is Summoned: Target 1 face-up card on the field that you can place a Spell Counter on; place 1 Spell Counter on that target. If this card is destroyed by battle: You can Special Summon 1 Level 2 or lower Spellcaster-Type monster from your Deck in face-down Defense Position.

400 ATK/ 8PP DEF

This looks super wordy on mobile hope its not too huge

I'm actually unsure about this one.  While this thing is in the DM Zone, it is nigh untouchable, so you have a safe pool for Spell Counter generation.  That's all fine, but then having such an easy recovery option takes it a bit over-the-top in my eyes (since it is really easy to output high level Spellcasters).  I think that recovery effect should probably be turned into something else, something weaker (level modulation, ATK boost, returning Spell cards, etc.).

Regarding the Altergeist one, it's to do with Multifaker and Manifestation (revival Trap), now on turn one. (They topped in the OCG with them.)

"Its Level becomes 10" on NEK is largely unnecessary because its Level will be 10 on the field anyway. (I was never dead set on this, but currently the Level increase only applies in the Deck Master Zone.)

Note that cards in the Deck Master Zone aren't on the field, so cards that remove Spell Counters from your side of the field can't remove Spell Counters from your Deck Master Zone, etc.

Also I'm not certain that is an effect that applies while in the Deck Master Zone anyway, since it isn't specified. It could just be a Continuous Effect (applies in the Monster Zone).

@ Did you mean to skip mine?

If that's its DM effect, I've just gotta say:

That is nearly a Skill + Soul Drain with no cost or downside to just having it.  However, if that's just a reworking of its monster effect and it isn't meant to have a DM effect, I suppose that's a bit more fair then.

Besides not affecting the opponent's Deck Master, this is actually its normal effect

"Its Level becomes 10" on NEK is largely unnecessary because its Level will be 10 on the field anyway. (I was never dead set on this, but currently the Level increase only applies in the Deck Master Zone.)

Wait, I'd made mine with the mindset that its level increase would be on the field as well.  I might need to change mine up a bit.  Or scrap it entirely and choose a whole new deck master.  Kinda 50/50 on it, tbh.

Note that cards in the Deck Master Zone aren't on the field, so cards that remove Spell Counters from your side of the field can't remove Spell Counters from your Deck Master Zone, etc.

That... would definitely balance it out then, methinks.

@ Did you mean to skip mine?

No, but I'm even less familiar with how Nekroz is played than I am Altergeist.  If you yourself said it is broken, I've gotta take your word for it XD.

Besides not affecting the opponent's Deck Master, this is actually its normal effect

Yeah, I'm aware.  It just happens that everyone else wrote a DM effect and since neither Perry nor Azure wrote down the monster effect, the assumption was that what you wrote was also a DM effect.  Does it just not have a DM effect?

It's "This does not affect your opponent's Deck Master."

Your additional texts needn't be effects that apply in the Deck Master Zone.

I didn't give a huge amount of thought to the Level increase mechanic. It would certainly matter a lot more if it also applied on the field, but then you have to have extra rules about whether it applies first or last with Level-modifying effects, and it affects mechanics like Xyz a lot more than others. How I envisioned it to work was the same as "Normal Summon/Set it as though it was a Level equal to its original Level plus 2 times the number of times it has been Normal Summon/Set from the Deck Master Zone this Duel." But simply increasing its Level only in the Deck Master Zone communicated that in a much simpler way.

Archived