Re-Officialize the YCM Discord

It's been 8 months since we've unofficialized the Discord (which can be found here) when Gadj resigned and none of the other mods were willing to take up the mantle of server owner. When this happened, nearly every mod left the Discord. Since then, a few returned, and we've modded some members here who are also in the Discord. Lujan, who had been given ownership of the server, has modded members who were modded here on the forums.

This, along with most of the inhabitants of the Discord being YCMembers, makes the place retain the feel that it is still the "YCM Discord." Well, that and it literally being the YCM Discord. I am of the opinion that the YCM Discord can be officialized once again without problems. I faintly remember some of the reasons given behind it being unofficialized, but, well:

• The mods don't want to run the Discord server, and the server owner is not a mod.

I don't see why exactly the server owner has to be a mod. I mean, it's a little weird, but it isn't necessary, nor is it bad. Lujan has done a fine enough job in managing the server, and even with the server re-officialized I'd still support him owning the server.

• Maybe some mods don't want to be part of this.

This is totally fine. Being a part of the YCM Discord shouldn't be mandatory for moderators of this site. As of right now, YCM mods are doing a good job at being on Discord, and not all of them are there. Right now, Zai (even though he's leaving), Black, Dad, Flame Dragon (though he hilariously isn't modded), and Tormented are part of the YCM server. CowCow and Sakura aren't (and probably not Broken, but I'm not 100% sure on this). If they don't want to join the server, we will still have enough of a mod presence there without them.

• That Waifubot channel or something.

I'm not entirely sure on this. It's one of the more active sections of the server, because of course it is, so I wouldn't suggest getting rid of this. That said, by the looks of things, we can officialize the server without getting rid of this. Given we can write mature stories in Creative Writing so long as they're tagged with PG-13 or whatever, we can do the same thing with the Waifubot channel. In fact, we already did. You need to check that you are over 17 or 18 or whatever before you can view it. I'm not entirely sure if these two things are quite exactly equivalent, but they seem to be.

Also, if this comes to fruition, we should pin a thread in Introductions with an invite to the Discord, so that it is somewhere on the forum that we can get to easily (and new members who want to find our Discord can do so).

So we would keep the Discord under Lujan's ownership and have it officially be tied to YCM again.  I'm okay with this.  However, I do have some concerns.

The biggest problem YCM's Discord presented was applying punishments for Discord actions retroactively across YCM (site) and YCM (discord).  This would require many changes to the rules and how they apply to YCM (site) and YCM (discord).  What do you propose?

So we would keep the Discord under Lujan's ownership and have it officially be tied to YCM again.  I'm okay with this.  However, I do have some concerns.

The biggest problem YCM's Discord presented was applying punishments for Discord actions retroactively across YCM (site) and YCM (discord).  This would require many changes to the rules and how they apply to YCM (site) and YCM (discord).  What do you propose?

While I'm wanting to tie the two back together, there probably isn't a need to carry over punishments from one to the other. Infractions, from what I've seen, have solely only been from what happened on the forum, or what happened solely on the Discord, but not quite both. There probably will not be a need to punish rulebreakers on both entities.

While I'm wanting to tie the two back together, there probably isn't a need to carry over punishments from one to the other. Infractions, from what I've seen, have solely only been from what happened on the forum, or what happened solely on the Discord, but not quite both. There probably will not be a need to punish rulebreakers on both entities.

If you could draft up a small rules list (1-3 rules) for YCM (site) in relation to the discord, what would you propose then?

If you could draft up a small rules list (1-3 rules) for YCM (site) in relation to the discord, what would you propose then?

There probably isn't very much of a need for more rules in regard to the Discord. There was that "don't bring drama from the forum to Discord and vice versa" rule, but I'm not entirely sure of my own stance on that, to be honest.

The only thing I can think of right now is to require mods on the Discord to have the same username and/or avatar that they do on the forum, or very similar. Not in support of extending this rule to all members though. It would let users more easily identify who's who, so that if they need to speak to a mod on the Discord about something on the forum, they can make sure they have the right one.

I don't see the need entirely. And this isn't just cause I refuse to go on Discord lol

I guess if we do this we can link to it on YCM but if we do that then it sort of has to follow the same, or close to, rules as this place. Because we'd be officially "sanctioning" it and connecting it to the site. Especially when it comes to more "mature" things.

I don't see the need entirely. And this isn't just cause I refuse to go on Discord lol

I guess if we do this we can link to it on YCM but if we do that then it sort of has to follow the same, or close to, rules as this place. Because we'd be officially "sanctioning" it and connecting it to the site. Especially when it comes to more "mature" things.

Well, it does follow YCM's rules still. Like, the only rule it added post-unofficialization is the "no impersonations" rule, which this site added too. The only gray area is the Waifubot. I think the mature content warning is enough to justify keeping it, but eh, maybe it's not?

Archived