Spreadant (Insect archtype)

SecondSeraphim

Had an idea for an insect archetype that was inspired by  "Krawler" monsters, but with the swarming aspect turned up. In addition, I decided to full advantage of Flip by giving them all 2 effects; a unique "Flip" effect, and a standard "Flip Summon" effect, as well as S/T to help you flip summon. Stats aren't very inventive; I mostly just borrowed from Insect Queen as a base for the boss mon.

Monsters

Spreadant Worker           EARTH/Insect/LV 2                          ATK 500 / DEF 1500

Flip: Target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it.

If this card is Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Worker”, in face-down defense position. You can only activate each effect of “Spreadant Worker” once per turn.

Spreadant Solder              EARTH/Insect/LV 2                          ATK 1500 / DEF 500

Flip: Target 1 face-up monster on the field; destroy it.

If this card is Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Solder”, in face-down defense position. You can only activate each effect of “Spreadant Solder” once per turn.

Spreadant Queen             EARTH/Insect/LV 8                          ATK 2200 / DEF 2400

Flip: Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Queen”, in face-down defense position.

You can only control 1 face-up “Spreadant Queen”. If this card is Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Queen”, in face-down defense position. You can only activate each effect of “Spreadant Queen” once per turn.

Spreadant Drone              EARTH/Insect/LV 2                          ATK 1000 / DEF 1000

Flip: Send 1 random card from the opponent’s hand to the GY.

If this card is Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Drone”, in face-down defense position. You can only activate each effect of “Spreadant Drone” once per turn.

Spreadant Princess          EARTH/Insect/LV 4                          ATK 1100 / DEF 1200

Flip: Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your GY, other than “Spreadant Princess”, in face-down defense position.

If this card is Flip Summoned, you can Special Summon 1 “Spreadant” monster from your Deck, other than “Spreadant Princess”, in face-down defense position.

Spells

Spreadant Colony                            Field

“Spreadant” monsters you control gain 300 ATK/DEF. You take no battle damage from battles involving Flip Summoned monsters you control. Once per turn, during either player’s turn, you may target a face-down monster you control; immediately after this effect resolves, Flip Summon that monster.

Traps

Spreadant Tunnel                            Normal

Up to twice this turn, each time your opponent Normal or Special Summons a monster, you can activate and resolve one of the following effects.

• Special Summon a “Spreadant” monster from your hand or GY in face-down defense position.
  • Target a face-down monster you control; immediately after this effect resolves, Flip Summon that monster.

Spreadant Swarming                      Counter

If a card, effect, or attack targets a face-up “Spreadant” monster you control while you control a face-down defense position monster; negate the card, effect, or attack, then immediately after this effect resolves: Flip Summon a monster.

The Level 2s are generally fine, barring the technical copy/paste "summon something other than itself" effect. But then again, the whole Archetype has this gimmick, so...you can't say that their boss is difficult to summon. 

Queen isn't really special or anything, but I suppose that her generating more monsters does lend itself to what their roles are normally in insect colonies (least with termites and bees anyway iirc). Stat-wise, you can buff it up a bit since Insect Queen's original stats aren't that great. If you want, you could try the inverse of Metamorphosed (2400/2800) or just copy her stats entirely. 

Princess's GY revival is fine, since they do lack other avenues into doing it. I looked at all the support cards they have; no generic revival for them (unless Wikia is sheet). 

Colony is fine in terms of enabling your Flip Summon plays and then triggering your own monsters. Though, thinking outside the archetype, IDK if Subterrors or Shaddolls (for lack of viable Flip decks) would like space for this card, as the latter normally don't stick around too long on the field anyway before being Fusion Material. Krawlers could find a use for it (then again, you were inspired by them anyway).

Tunnel is fine (and suppose gives them that added GY revival besides Princess). Other than that, it generally accomplishes the same thing as Colony in terms of triggering everything.

Swarming is good enough negation for what it's worth in the Deck; negate stuff, then proceed to Flip Summon. If it lacked the restriction, yeah, you'd probably see this teched in the other Decks I noted above for possible outside candidates to Colony.

=====

As a whole, they seem consistent enough to handle themselves coupled with the new support cards. It does help them a bit that they can use the X-Krawler Links somewhat (I think only Qualiark is out of the question) and World Legacy in Shadow for other things. But then again, you probably might want to deal with sweep removal a bit and something to recycle monsters into the Deck, as your stuff lacks the latter right now. 

Thank you for your review. I'll need to give most of what you said some thought, but I do agree that some recycling would be a good idea. How's this sound for another normal trap?

Spreadant Harvest

You can only activate "Spreadant Harvest" once per turn. Target 3 "Spreadant" monsters in your GY; shuffle all 3 into the Deck, then select one of the following effects:

• Draw a card.
  • Immediately after this effect resolves, Flip Summon a monster.

That should be fine; obviously slow because it's a Trap, but it's recycling that will let the Main Deck keep doing their thing. I would say expand it to "cards" so you can get the backrow too, but that's probably going overboard. 

Or you could give it a condition to allow triggering from the hand if you have 3 or more "Spreadants" with different names. Might alleviate that inherent problem somewhat.

I must say, I love viable flip effect monsters, and simple monsters and these really hit it home. Non-complex enough to be splashable into other decks (especially as a nice free link 2), but just slow enough to not be overpowered. I kind of wish their field spell let them flip TWO monsters, just so that you could super consistently get 4 monsters on the field, but that's just me wishing for a really consistent way to get a Link 2 and a rank 2 XYZ. The only thing that I think this archetype needs is an equip spell that you allows you to flip a monster and do something when it hits the grave, just because I really think that this deck could be amazing if it had the ability to Ultra Cocoon into Metamorphosed Insect Queen with minimal resource investment. Other than that, I think this is a very well designed and simple archetype. And to Sakura's suggestion for shuffling 3 cards to draw 1 or flip 1, I think that this card should absolutely shuffle back row, because there will be times when you want an instant +2 from Princess, and therefore just want to shuffle in the spells. Since they don't really do anything off the field, getting them back into the deck/hand as fast as possible is often preferred (and easier to pull off) than shuffling 3 monsters. (Also, since it is a trap, and inherently slow as molasses, I would make it do BOTH effects, not just the one)

Archived