COMPARISON: Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which version is superior?

• GIMME GIMME GIMME THAT ANIME EFFECT
    • The IRL version, no question.
    • It's a toss-up.

Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon [TCG/OCG]

DARK - Level 10 - Dragon/Effect - 2800/2400

You can Special Summon this card from your hand by banishing 1 Dragon-Type monster you control. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Dragon-Type monster from your hand or Graveyard.

Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon [ANIME]

DARK - Level 10 - Dragon/Effect - 2800/2400

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand or Deck) by Tributing 1 face-up "Red-Eyes Darkness Dragon" equipped with "Metal Plus". This card gains 400 ATK and DEF for each Dragon-Type monster in your Graveyard. Once per turn, during either player's turn, if your opponent activates a Spell Card: You can negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it. Once per turn, you can Special Summon 1 "Red-Eyes" monster from your hand or Graveyard.

[spoiler=Metal Plus]

Metal Plus

Continuous Trap

Equip this card to a face-up monster you control. Negate and destroy your opponent's Spell Cards that target the equipped monster. While the equipped monster is in Attack Position, this card cannot be destroyed.

So, what's the damage, in YCM's opinion? The trade-off made between anime power and IRL functionality is real, and probably worked in its favor in the long run. I mean, if it had been printed as-is in the anime, Chaos Dragons probably wouldn't have been as powerful as they were, and modern Red-Eyes would struggle to use Black Metal Dragon consistently (unless, of course, that had also been made a Red-Eyes, and/or worked as Metal Plus). That said, I do think it's kinda sad that it lost both the ATK boost and the Spell negation.

FFS I voted and lost my comment that I was writing.

Short version: Requiring Metal Plus AND Darkness Dragon is too much in my book. If it required one or the other, I'd still be fine, even with Metal Plus, but the genericness of the TCG/OCG combined with its consistency makes it much better than the Anime version.

It's a shame they took so much liberty with it.

This reminds me why I hate red eyes dark metal dragon, metalzoa, and theinen the great Sphinx. Summon conditions from the deck are just so annoying to me. Like, you just pick up your deck and the opponent is like "the funk are you doing?"

"summoning a monster"

"How?"

"It says on the monster, let me find it so I can show you"

I get how that isn't ultimately a huge problem, but it really does rub me the wrong way.

Archived