Palestinian teenager allegedly sexually harassed by Israeli interrogator

.Rooster

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/ahed-tamimi-israel-palestine-sexual-harassment-prison-soldier-camera-interrogation-a8290801.html

Seventeen-year-old Palestinian resistance figure Ahed Tamimi was sexually harassed by an Israeli interrogator during detention, the girl’s lawyer has alleged.

The minor, then aged 16, was arrested in December after slapping two Israeli soldiers who refused to leave her family’s property during a demonstration in the occupied West Bank. She accepted a plea deal of eight months in prison last week in a closed military court.

Attorney Gaby Lasky filed a complaint with the Israeli general attorney’s office earlier this week over the “inappropriate conduct” of one of the minor’s questioners, it emerged on Wednesday.

Ms Lasky said the behaviour of the interrogator from Israel’s central military intelligence unit, who allegedly remarked on the girl’s appearance and attractiveness, was a “gross violation of the law” and sexual harassment.

He allegedly told her in Arabic, “You have eyes like an angel”, and made “creepy attempts at flirting,” the complaint said.

Ahed was also interrogated by two men simultaneously without the presence of a female officer or access to her family, a lawyer or a questioner trained to deal with minors, Ms Lasky said, which goes against standard procedure.

The complaint also said that the named interrogator had threatened to arrest other members of Ahed’s family if she did not cooperate.

The girl’s experiences proves that “the [israeli] law enforcement system infringes upon the rights of Palestinian minors,“ Ms Lasky wrote

She is also one of the estimated 300 Palestinian children held in Israeli jails, whose detention is for the most part illegal under the UN’s Convention on the Rights of the Child.

On the day of the incident in question, Ahed was reportedly upset after learning that her 15-year-old cousin had been seriously injured after being shot in the head by a rubber bullet during clashes nearby.

Israeli authorities picked her up on 12 separate charges of aggravated assault and incitement, potentially punishable by 10 years in prison.

Several delays in the child’s military trial, and a judge’s decision for proceedings to take place behind closed doors, sparked an international outcry. Several campaigns from rights groups such as Amnesty International have fought for her release.

She reached a plea deal with Israeli prosecutors in March, and is serving eight months in Ofer military prison.

What does being Palestinian or being Israeli have to do with this? She was assaulted and that's what's important. Identity politics, especially based on crime that anyone can commit to anyone else, is strictly divisive. 

I hope this isn't another passive-aggressive "this group that conservatives generally disagree or are at odds with committed a crime but I won't make my intentions in incriminating that group clear to the reader" news articles because someone named after a season loves to post those.

And...what website is this, anyway? Seems like a pretty fringe news source if you ask me, especially considering there are no sources cited to prove that this actually happened. The only reason I know something could have happened is because multiple sources reported on it, including this one with a video. 

This still does not prove that Palestinians or Israelis are bad. This post would make much more sense in General. 

Just bringing this up before everyone responds with "that's so sad :(" without even questioning the source material or the implications of it. 

When a child is so desperate as to slap armed soldiers with her bare hands, it begs questions. It's an all-too common occurrence, they fight with their hands and feet and thrown stones against rigorously trained military men knowing they'll be wounded, jailed or killed. It's a microcosm of the Israel-Palestine conflict. It's very much a David vs. Goliath type of situation and these children are to be commended for their bravery in resisting an oppressive ethnocentric state.

Jailing children like this is already in violation of International Law, and they're in there as political prisoners with disproportionate sentences.  

She was assaulted and that's what's important.

That's not even what's being alleged. In fact, she assaulted an Israeli soldier, not that any tears should be shed for Israeli soldiers' slapped cheeks in the wake of the disproportionate punishments levied by the state they represent against children. 

Are any of these allegations corroborated at all or can I just throw this all out immediately?

Are you an Israeli judge? 

I don't know why this story of all things is what gets international attention or your incredulity when Israel's done so much worse to so many of their political prisoners. (Who else would have the gall to call hunger-striking, the very method employed by Gandhi, an act of terrorism?)

You can't tell whether someone is running at you to hit your cheek or to pull out a knife and immediately kill you, so you have to treat almost all cases as if the worst is going to happen,. Also, a strong hard rock can cause a concussion or just make your head bleed a lot. Also, you still need to actually punish people for breaking the law regardless, especially when Ahed had almost 11 other charges including incitement to violence.

Also Israel has almost all modern democratic rights, freedom of the press, religion, etc and Arab members of the Senate while Palestine doesn't.

@

So you believe slapping someone in the face is a crime. Even if it is a crime for a teenager to slap someone in the face, you can’t justify sexual harassment, nor can deny Israel’s harsh treatment of Palestinian children. Also, Palestine isn’t going to have many rights due to Israel building more illegal settlements, killing more civilians etc. What you said in the last paragraph has nothing to do with anything, nobody is denying that Israel has human rights. What me and Polaris are saying is that Israel is complicit in human rights abuses in Palestine, and what I want to say is that their policy towards the Middle East as a whole has caused countless deaths since Israel’s creation (even if it was carried out by the UK and US).

@@Darkrai

How is the Independent anti-Semitic? Ok it’s full of SJW trash and other far-left cancer, but it isn’t anti-Semitic

@

So you believe slapping someone in the face is a crime. Even if it is a crime for a teenager to slap someone in the face, you can’t justify sexual harassment, nor can deny Israel’s harsh treatment of Palestinian children. Also, Palestine isn’t going to have many rights due to Israel building more illegal settlements, killing more civilians etc. What you said in the last paragraph has nothing to do with anything, nobody is denying that Israel has human rights. What me and Polaris are saying is that Israel is complicit in human rights abuses in Palestine, and what I want to say is that their policy towards the Middle East as a whole has caused countless deaths since Israel’s creation (even if it was carried out by the UK and US).

No I don't, obviously. I'm saying that if you run at someone at high speed intently in a near-warzone area police can't risk finding out firsthand whether you're going to slap them or kill them, so it's likely you will get wounded/shot if you do anything. So don't do it. Also, Ahed had 11 other charges against them, the sexual assault allegation is awful, but alleged, and almost all of the children that get arrested/killed are acting in ways that could be reasonably thought as suspicious/can't be risked.

Also, these settlements aren't illegal, just very unsavory, until east jerusalem defines its borders and the gaza strip stops being controlled by an internationally recognized terrorist group they still aren't recognized as actual governments and israel still owns the land, even though both sides agreed on that if either of those happened israel will just give the land over.

No I don't, obviously. I'm saying that if you run at someone at high speed intently in a near-warzone area police can't risk finding out firsthand whether you're going to slap them or kill them, so it's likely you will get wounded/shot if you do anything. So don't do it. Also, Ahed had 11 other charges against them, the sexual assault allegation is awful, but alleged, and almost all of the children that get arrested/killed are acting in ways that could be reasonably thought as suspicious/can't be risked.

Well that’s the thing, they’re children. Killing/imprisoning a child for being a potential threat isn’t a moral or necessary thing to do in any situation. Even imprisoning a child for committing real crimes can be seen as immoral. Also, I fail to understand how trained soldiers are supposed to be threatened by children. You already know that Ahed Tamimi was clearly unarmed, so how would she manage to kill an armed soldier?

Well that’s the thing, they’re children. Killing/imprisoning a child for being a potential threat isn’t a moral or necessary thing to do in any situation. Even imprisoning a child for committing real crimes can be seen as immoral. Also, I fail to understand how trained soldiers are supposed to be threatened by children. You already know that Ahed Tamimi was clearly unarmed, so how would she manage to kill an armed soldier?

No, it's fine, you can't allow someone to potentially kill someone if you're highly certain they might do so, at all. Also, someone who murders someone or does some other heinous crime should absolutely be convicted, even the lightest touch rules in the USA or something you'd still end up in jail for a long time. You don't get a free pass on crimes just because you're a child, even twelve year-olds know you shouldn't stab someone, or run at the guy with a gun who gets threats on his life on a daily basis in a way that might be thought of as aggressive.

Also, even the most trained soldiers can't do anything at all if someone runs at them with a shiv and they don't instantly and immediately react, it's a less than 1-second reaction time thing,  you can't assess what someone is holding in a second and when it's your life on the line you aren't going to take the risk and wait another second and hope they don't actually have it.

No, it's fine, you can't allow someone to potentially kill someone if you're highly certain they might do so, at all. Also, someone who murders someone or does some other heinous crime should absolutely be convicted, even the lightest touch rules in the USA or something you'd still end up in jail for a long time. You don't get a free pass on crimes just because you're a child, even twelve year-olds know you shouldn't stab someone, or run at the guy with a gun who gets threats on his life on a daily basis in a way that might be thought of as aggressive.

Also, even the most trained soldiers can't do anything at all if someone runs at them with a shiv and they don't instantly and immediately react, it's a less than 1-second reaction time thing, you can't assess what someone is holding in a second and when it's your life on the line you aren't going to take the risk and wait another second and hope they don't actually have it.

Back up your claims with evidence. What makes you say this?

Back up your claims with evidence. What makes you say this?

There's a US police rule called the 21-foot rule from a drill called the tucker drill where basically, if an assailant with a knife runs at you from 21 feet(6.4 meters), you have give or take 1.5 seconds before they reach you and fatally stab you. This was tested thousands of times, and it's pretty much proven.

That's also assuming the best case scenario, that they're at exactly 21 feet away, and that you know where the stabber is coming from, and etc, if you don't you have maybe half a second to react... at best.

Archived