Magmasters... Breathing Life into Rock, FIRE, and Level 2 all at once!

Jerrytkrot

Alright, so this an archetype focusing on the main aspects of Rock monsters, most notably, playing anything else. That is why, despite being a Rock archetype, one of their main features is becoming Pyro types and gaining really good effects when they do. They also focus on the other main Rock theme, most notably, getting rid of all Rock monsters on the field, permanently. (Banishing) But these rocks have a trick up their sleeve: THEY ACTUALLY DO THINGS. (Novel concept, right?)

Magmaster Bursting Core: FIRE Level 2 Rock / Effect 500 ATK / 200 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned; Special Summon as many Banished Rock monsters with different names as possible. If this card is banished, you may add one banished "Magmaster" Spell or Trap to your hand. You may activate that card from your hand. You can only activate each of these effects of "Magmaster Bursting Core" once per turn. While this card is a Pyro monster, at the end of your main phase, you may banish one card from your deck.

Magmaster Ember Bringer: FIRE Level 2 Rock / Effect 1500 ATK / 700 DEF
When this card is Normal Summoned, you may shuffle one card from your hand into your deck, then Special Summon one "Magmaster" monster from your deck. Once per turn (Quick Effect): you can banish one monster you control; banish one Level four or lower monster on the field. If this card is a Pyro Monster, you may instead banish any card with this effect. When this card is banished, target one monster: It is unaffected by spells and traps until the end of the turn. Destroy that card at the start of your next turn.

Magmaster Garboil: FIRE Level 2 Rock / Effect 500 ATK / 200 DEF
When this card is summoned: Banish 2 Rock monsters from your deck other than "Magmaster Garboil"; Special Summon one Level 2 FIRE monster from your hand, other than "Magmaster Garboil." When this card is banished: Special Summon one Banished Level 2 FIRE monster, other than "Magmaster Garboil." You can only activate each effect of "Magmaster Garboil" once per turn. While this card is a Pyro Monster, This card gains 1500 ATK and can attack twice per turn.

Magmaster Shield Ogre: FIRE Level 3 Rock / Effect 1200 ATK / 1800 DEF
If this card was Special Summoned, while this card is on the field, Level 2 "Magmaster" monsters you control are unaffected by the effects of your opponent's monster cards. While this card is a Pyro Monster, this card becomes a Level 2 and gains ATK equal to the lowest attack monster your opponent controls. If this card is banished: you can target one monster; change it to defense position and its attack becomes 0, but it cannot be destroyed by battle.

Magmaster Wild Fissure: FIRE Level 2 Rock / Effect 900 ATK / 200 DEF
When this card is Summoned: you can target one set Spell/Trap card on the field: If you targeted a card, that card cannot be activated while this card is on the field or used as an Xyz material. That card cannot be activated while this card is on the field. You may also Special Summon one "Magmaster" monster from your hand, other than "Magmaster Wild Fissure". If this card is a Pyro monster, once per turn, you can banish one card from your opponent's hand. When this card is banished: target one monster; it is treated as a Pyro-type.

They also have XYZ's because of course they do.

Magmaster Lavaborn: FIRE Rank 2 Rock / XYZ / Effect 2500 ATK / 200 DEF

4 Level 2 monsters
Once per turn (Quick effect): You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Banish 1 card from both sides of the field. If you banished a "Magmaster" card with this effect: you can add the banished card to your hand, but you cannot play that card this turn. During the Battle Phase: your opponent cannot activate any Trap cards. Your opponent can negate this effect by banishing one monster they control. If this card would be destroyed, you can banish one monster you control and one monster from your deck; this monster is not destroyed.

Magmaster Tortured Golem: FIRE Level 2 Rock / XYZ / Effect ???? ATK / 0 DEF

3 or more Level 2 Pyro "Magmaster" monsters
This card has 1500 ATK for each XYZ material attached to this card. Once per turn: if you have no cards in your GY; attach one card from your opponent's hand, field, or GY to this card as an XYZ material then discard one card. This card cannot be destroyed by battle on your opponent's turm. You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card, Special Summon a banished monster, ignoring it's summoning conditions. When this card is banished: banish all cards on the field.

Magmaster Inferno Blaze: FIRE Level 2 Rock / XYZ / Effect 1800 ATK / 200 DEF

2 Level 2 Rock monsters
You can detach 2 XYZ materials from this card; Banish one card your opponent controls and this card. While this card is banished, you can banish 1 monster from your deck, special summon this card in attack position. Once per turn, during the end phase, you can attach one of your banished monsters to this card as XYZ material.

A field spell!

Magmaster Lava Cauldron (Spell / Field)
The first time each turn that a monster you control is banished: you may add one "Magmaster" monster from your deck to your hand. Once per turn, you can discard one card: target one Rock monster you control; that monster is treated as a Pyro-Type. Pyro "Magmaster" monsters gain 1000 ATK and cannot be destroyed by battle. When this card is destroyed: Banish 1 card your opponent controls. This card cannot be destroyed by your card effects.

A Regular Spell!
Magmaster Pyroclastic Flow (Spell / Quickplay)
Shuffle one card from your hand into your deck: banish all cards in both players GY. During either player's turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY: you can Banish this card from your GY, Special Summon one Level 2 Rock monster from your hand. That monster is treated as a Pyro-Type.

Magmaster Eternal Flame (Spell / Continous)
Banish XYZ materials when they are detached. For every card banished by this effect; put one "Fuel" counter on this card. You can remove 2 "Fuel" counters from this card; target monster is treated as a Pyro-Type. Once per turn, (Quick effect) you can remove 6 "Fuel" counters from this card, banish all face-up cards your opponent controls.

A Counter Trap!
Magmaster Total Collapse (Trap/Counter)
When a monster would be Normal Summoned: If you control a Level 2 Rock monster; negate the summon, and if you do, banish that monster. During your turn, except the turn this card was sent to the GY, you can banish this card from your GY: target one Rock monster you control; that monster is treated as a Pyro-type.

Magmaster Double Erupter: FIRE Arrows: SE, SW Rock / Link /Effect 2200 ATK
2 FIRE monsters
The monsters this card points to are treated as Pyro-Types. While this card is a Pyro monster, the monsters this card points to cannot be targeted for attacks.

Magmaster Fever Pitch (Trap/Continous)
Once per turn, target one monster. That monster is treated as a Pyro-Type. Once per turn: you can banish one card from your deck; banish up to 3 cards in either player's graveyard. When this card is sent to the graveyard: Banish it. When this card is banished, except by its own effect: banish one monster from your deck; draw 1 card.

So, I feel like either this deck needs more support or it's already Overpowered. I think it's probably the latter, but I kind of feel like they secretly suck.

(Keep in mind, These are Rock Fire type's so they literally have no support beyond this. Like, with Gorgonic Cerberus they can make Giant Soldier of Stone, but why??? They can make Gaia Plate, which is decent, but only a beat stick that banishes for them, so meh..., maybe tech in some Koaki Meirus, but once again, why??? The only possibly usable card is Triamid Hunter because 2 normal summons a turn is fun. Other "Viable" Options include Magnet Force, Release from Stone, Triamid Pulse, and Rock Bombardment Because 500 LP from a TRAP CARD that only requires you to pitch 1 Rock monster from your deck is too broken for words.)

EDITS:
4/11: Fixed Card Text, gave all pyro effects, nerfed Golem, etc.
4/12: Added new cards to OP, fixed Lavaborn,

4/24: More new Cards.

Your Field Spell has Golem's effects underneath it and Burning Core's stats :P

Firstly, your Pyro gimmick is barely there. You have 2 cards in the entire Deck that can make your cards Pyro-Type, and that's only when you Summon them. Also one of them is a Trap, so...super slow. At least you can Foolish it. I was expecting at least your Field Spell to grant the Type to your monsters, but no, it only grants effects afterwards. You could ditch that effect without much effect on the Deck, but I'm assuming you want to keep the concept so...make it more prevalent. Have the Xyzs change Types, or even the Field Spell; have most of the monsters, instead of about half, gain effects. Make it relatively easy to do, and make it worth your while.

Right now, it's difficult to gauge how strong the archetype is, as the effects aren't worded very well. For example, I can't figure out how Bursting Core works. What I can say is; why combine both effects to a Normal Summon? Why not have one activate on a Special Summon, or better yet, when the card is banished, as is seen in the rest of the archetype. Right now, it's completely dead if you can't Normal Summon it, and so there's not really any point to even searchin it. There's nothing wrong with making a card only work on a Normal Summon as an option, but as someone who is against making cards having multiple effects you can choose from at the same time, I would honest suggest splitting them up.

It's certainly a very interesting combination of cards and effects, and I think, aside from the Pyro thing, the archetype is going on the strong side. Not because of consistency or speed, even though there is a lot of the latter, enough for a decent archetype. No, it's the offense on your opponent that we see here and there. Ember Bringer's awkward destruction ignoring effects, for example. Ignoring its effect isn't generally used without reason, and I can't think of an example where its used in terms of removal. For Tortured Golem (assuming "minions" means "monsters") being able to grab monsters from basically any card belonging your opponent, without targeting. There's almost no protection from it. Speaking of Golem, it's almost 100% better than Lavaborn; the latter is only good if you already have out Golem and you want some plays during your opponent's turn. Right now, Golem is completely immune to destruction, has almost twice the amount of ATK as Lavaborn for only 2 materials, doesn't need to eat up your entire field to be useful, and has that super powerful SSing effect. Yes, you need Pyro monsters to make Golem, but with such an otherwise easy boss, the player will find a way. If you make the Pyro theme actually a gimmick, then you need to nerf Golem. Heavily.

Despite the complete and utter craziness of the archetype, both in effects and in balance...I like it. Sure, right now it teeters on being both weak and far too strong for its own good, the creativity you took with the monsters at least looks interesting. If only it was more readable :P

In regards to OCG fixes, all references to numbers are used by the actual number (1) rather than the word (one). There's only one scenario where you would use the word. (seen on Performapal Handstandacoon) "If this card is a Pyro-Type" becomes "While/If this card is a Pyro monster" depending on whether you want the effect to activate or simple apply, and "During either player's turn" is replaced by "(Quick Effect)" like so:

"Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can..."

As an aside, it's important to know the distinction of When vs. If. When optional effects (i.e. When this card is banished: You can...) only apply if their effects can immediately activate after their trigger was met, in this case banished. Any effect that banishes as a cost, then does something else, or just says something like "You can banish 1 face-up card you control, then draw 1 card." will cause the banished monster with When to not be able to activate. If effects and mandatory When effects cannot miss their timing, however.

There are other OCG fixes, but for the most part, it's readable and understandable. I would suggest reading the OCG thread in Advanced Singles section, though, if you want to learn more.

Alright, thank you! You've given me a lot to think about, so I will edit the post as per your recommendations as soon as I can.

So, I decided to fix the Pyro-problem in the stupidest way Possible: a Link monster and a Continuous Trap.

Magmaster Double Erupter: FIRE  Arrows: SE, SW Rock / Link /Effect 2200 ATK

2 FIRE monsters

The monsters this card points to are treated as Pyro-Types. While this card is a Pyro monster, the monsters this card points to cannot be targeted for attacks.

Magmaster Fever Pitch (Trap/Continous)

Once per turn, target one monster. That monster is treated as a Pyro-Type. Once per turn: you can banish one card from your deck; banish up to 3 cards in either player's graveyard. When this card is sent to the graveyard: Banish it. When this card is banished, except by its own effect: banish one monster from your deck; draw 1 card

Ooh, Link Monster! What fun. I think that was a good way of going about it. Remember to add it to the OP, along with the Continuous Trap! Yeah, "-Type" has been made redundant thank to VRAINS, and cards just say "treated as Pyro monster" or whatever. You can still use -Type if you want, but since it's less to write and I'm lazy, it works for me XD But yeah, really good work on the other card grammar edits; it looks a lot nicer ^^

Main Deck monsters are pretty good for the most part. Wild Fissure's targeting while it is face-up on the field is a little odd, considering this is an Xyz/Link archetype where it won't be staying face-up on the field for long. Anyway, the targeting should be optional, like so: "When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 Set Spell/Trap Card on the field: If you targeted a card, that card cannot be activated while this card is on the field, then, regardless, you can Special Summon 1 "Magmaster" monster from your hand, other than "Magmaster Wild Fissure"." so you still get your Special Summon even if there are no Spell/Trap Cards to target. How did you want Shield Ogre to work? Did you want A) all of your archetypal monsters are unaffected by Traps that turn, B) all archetypal monsters you control at the time of the Summon are unaffected by Traps permanently, or C) while you control that Special Summoned monster, all archetypal monsters you control are unaffected by Traps? Anyway, a little too much Spell/Trap protection without monster effect protection in the main deck; try spreading it out a little more!

I think leaving the alternate Summoning condition off Lavaborn is fine, as it provides a means for you to splash in other Level 2s to use as Materials. I will say, though, that I still think it should have something archetype. A supportive effect here or there; like the banish effect requiring you banish Magmaster monsters. Other than that, your nerfing/buffing is fine.

Good changes! Looking much better, and liking how the theme's developing!

Looking good for now. Two more slight tweaks: Bursting Core should SS your banished monsters...unless you wanted to be able to grab your opponent's monsters as well. More major one, you have a lot more hand play than I original noticed, which is fine...but you only have one searcher. I'd suggest adding at least one more, for consistency's sake.

But yeah, no other comments. Hopefully someone else will be happy to look at this later and provide their own input ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Archived