[VJMP] Hope Magician

HopeMagician.png?resize=407%2C593&ssl=1
VJMP-JP147 希望の魔術師 Kibou no Majutsushi (Hope Magician)
Rank 4 LIGHT Spellcaster Xyz Pendulum Effect Monster
ATK 2500
DEF 2000
Pendulum Scale: 8

Pendulum Effect:
(1) Once per turn, when any player’s monster declares an attack: You can negate that attack, then destroy this card.

Monster Effect:
Materials: 2 Level 4 monsters
If you can Pendulum Summon Level 4, you can Pendulum Summon this face-up card from your Extra Deck. You can only use this card name’s (1) monster effect once per turn.
(1) You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 Level 7 or lower Pendulum Monster from your hand in Defense Position, but its effects are negated, then you can place this face-up card in your Pendulum Zone.
(2) If this card is Pendulum Summoned: You can target 1 Pendulum Monster in your GY; attach it to this card as Xyz Material.

Sounds alright, it basicly sets itself up as a "cheap" scale 8 that can tutor out metalfoes electrumite targets from one's hand and has some niche regeneration uses, though I suppose summoning it is kind of unnecessary and does not add all too much.

Though I like it, it is the easiest to summon pendulum extra deck monster and the easiest to setup pendulum scale among them.

Not too special, but it does allow you to Pendulum Summon, then use various effects that search and what not and Special Summon another monster for whatever purposes you like, along with opening up the Extra Monster Zone once more. Along with that, it is nice that you can continuously get a new material for it. I just like that it's a completely generic Pendulum Xyz and it got damn good stats for being just that.

I'm disappointed that it negates a single attack, and then self-destroys. Double-up Chance wouldn't work like this....

The Special Summoning effect is pretty meh as well. If you Pendulum Summon it, you will already have 2 Scales, and this card only Summons from hand, so it essentially -1s itself no matter what. It is an accessible enough Scale 8 vanilla and 2500 ATK beater for the most combinations Pendulum Arcs out there though, so I guess there's that.

I would have preferred if it was also a Utopia monster, if its self-destruct and attack negation were simultaneous, and if the self-attaching from GY effect happened whenever it was Special Summoned. The "Summon from hand" effect is also a little underwhelming considering it has a level cap, position lock, and effect negation, on top of not being a plus there, but the other suggestions would make up for it.... especially considering Pendulum Magicians' place in the meta at the moment...

I'm disappointed that it negates a single attack, and then self-destroys. Double-up Chance wouldn't work like this....

The Special Summoning effect is pretty meh as well. If you Pendulum Summon it, you will already have 2 Scales, and this card only Summons from hand, so it essentially -1s itself no matter what. It is an accessible enough Scale 8 vanilla and 2500 ATK beater for the most combinations Pendulum Arcs out there though, so I guess there's that.

I would have preferred if it was also a Utopia monster, if its self-destruct and attack negation were simultaneous, and if the self-attaching from GY effect happened whenever it was Special Summoned. The "Summon from hand" effect is also a little underwhelming considering it has a level cap, position lock, and effect negation, on top of not being a plus there, but the other suggestions would make up for it.... especially considering Pendulum Magicians' place in the meta at the moment...

I believe the self-destruction thing is an optional thing. 

Plus, after my tussles before with certain Level 1 decks that shall not be named, I can understand why Konami wouldn't name this card Utopia-for the exact same reason they will not give generic searches for any Rank-Up-Magic card.

1118909.jpg

Pendulums with this, accessible by Utopia Magician, a generic Rank 4 Pendulum that everybody and their grandmother can run in any Rank-4-compatible Pendulum Deck? Yeah, Tier 0 city. And don't think they won't, they throw away full-material Rank 7s for less than what this card can give them. (coughAbsoluteDragoncough)

Wait

Okay, the Pendmagicians might not have the space-but any Rank-4 compatible Pendulum Deck will, and Zexal is the ultimate in lockdown play, people will be going out of the way to make it if its easy to make on their way to Pendulum laddering. That's why I think it'll be called Utopic more than anything else.

Besides, my main opinion on Hope/Utopia/Utopic/whatever Magician is that it will COMPLEMENT Electrumite, rather than interfere. Most of the good Pendulum Decks (Zarcgicians, Zefras....Dinomists) out today have utterly bonkers recoverability rates, and this can extend play while also keeping the opponent's board from running over them in a clutch moment. 

Sides that-yeah, more work on it in the Zexal end would have been satisfactory.

But it's fine-and eerily powerful, stat-wise-for what it gives Pendulums. 

Pendulums with this, accessible by Utopia Magician, a generic Rank 4 Pendulum that everybody and their grandmother can run in any Rank-4-compatible Pendulum Deck? Yeah, Tier 0 city. And don't think they won't, they throw away full-material Rank 7s for less than what this card can give them. (coughAbsoluteDragoncough)

Wait

Okay, the Pendmagicians might not have the space-but any Rank-4 compatible Pendulum Deck will, and Zexal is the ultimate in lockdown play, people will be going out of the way to make it if its easy to make on their way to Pendulum laddering. That's why I think it'll be called Utopic more than anything else.

Sides that-yeah, more work on it in the Zexal end would have been satisfactory.

But it's fine-and eerily powerful, stat-wise-for what it gives Pendulums. 

This is a gross overreaction. You act like them not having a "MAGICIAN" named Xyz is the only reason they don't run ZEXAL, despite the fact that Number 39 is already a generic rank 4 that they can run with ease.

It may come as a shock to you, but it's almost like ZEXAL is just bad to run because you have to run Rank-Up-Magic cards to play it, which makes it an opening field you can't rely on with a card that's completely dead in every other situation. It's not worth it, it's never been worth it, and even if this was named "Number 39: Utopia" itself it would make zero difference.

Also, it's not a "Utopia" monster and never has been. The original name for the Utopia archetype is the full "Kibou-no-Hope". You have to have that full name in there for it to be a "Utopia" monster. This is just Kibou, which means its translated name will either be simply "Hope Magician" or "Utopic".

Also, the self-destruction in the scale is mandatory if you negate an attack.

Yusaku mode activated

I'll tell you 3 reasons why this won't be a Utopic card!

1. "Utopic" is already an archetype. If this card were a "Utopic", it would've been translated that way.
  2. In the OCG, "Utopic" archetype is called "Hopu", not "Kibou". This card is Kibou!
  3. "Halfway to Forever" exists which could summon this if it were a "Utopic" (Hopu) monster.

This is a gross overreaction. You act like them not having a "MAGICIAN" named Xyz is the only reason they don't run ZEXAL, despite the fact that Number 39 is already a generic rank 4 that they can run with ease.

It may come as a shock to you, but it's almost like ZEXAL is just bad to run because you have to run Rank-Up-Magic cards to play it, which makes it an opening field you can't rely on with a card that's completely dead in every other situation. It's not worth it, it's never been worth it, and even if this was named "Number 39: Utopia" itself it would make zero difference.

Also, it's not a "Utopia" monster and never has been. The original name for the Utopia archetype is the full "Kibou-no-Hope". You have to have that full name in there for it to be a "Utopia" monster. This is just Kibou, which means its translated name will either be simply "Hope Magician" or "Utopic".

Also, the self-destruction in the scale is mandatory if you negate an attack.

Sorry about that Utopic thing, it was a throwaway thought that got a bit out of hand in my review. 

I didn't mean for it to come off as that aggressive. 

My point on Hope Magician is that it helps to utilize a lot of stuff, especially used in tandem with the Normal Effect of....say, Black Fang Magician and Performapal Odd-Eyes Synchron. Pulling for that should be the goal for it, though I'm aware of how niche it can get.

And my point still stands on Konami likely being wary of Utopic ZeXal-especially in the terms of "why we're never getting a generic Rank-Up search card." Bad enough that card can get up to insane levels of power and literally inhibits your opponent from playing the game, period, they'll not want to make the path to it easier in a Deck that already +10s on a bad day in the Extra Deck and can already get double negates on the board like Zarcgicians.

Pendulums in general already have wondrous recovery and build-up rates with Electrumite, adding to that game with a Rank 4 will be a boon for many, many Pendulum Decks outside of Zarcgicians.

Also, whoa, yeah I did not see that then in the attack negation thing, good looking out.

[...] And my point still stands on Konami likely being wary of Utopic ZeXal-especially in the terms of "why we're never getting a generic Rank-Up search card." Bad enough that card can get up to insane levels of power and literally inhibits your opponent from playing the game, period, they'll not want to make the path to it easier in a Deck that already +10s on a bad day in the Extra Deck and can already get double negates on the board like Zarcgicians. [...]

Though this card adds literally nothing to Number S0: Utopic ZEXAL that Number 39: Utopia cannot already do as well, so even mentioning Utopic ZEXAL does not really count as an argument.

I would not deny Utopic ZEXAL is cancerous (should not limit design and get the banhammer once it would become problematic), however it limiting design, especially if suitable options already exist does not hold as an argument (which does not imply you stated it to be a valid argument, as far as I understood it you said that would be their thought and excuse for a reasonable decision).

Archived