Gardna Retrains (Gardna Guild archetype)

xlArisenRoselx

My friend came up with the concept, and I loved it so much, I decided to follow through with it. This is my first attempt at a purposefully slow, stall archetype. Designed as Retrains of old Gardna cards(except the Extra Deck Monster) and made to work with those same monsters, here we have the "Gardna Guild" archetype!!

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters]

Gardna Guild - Big Shield

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/2600

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent, draw 1 card. If this card is attacked: before the damage step, flip this card into Attack Position.

Gardna Guild - Necro

Level 3 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/1300

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. While this card is face-up on the field, all "Gardna" monsters on the field gain 200 DEF. Once per turn, you can banish this card from your GY(Quick Effect): Your opponent skips their Battle Phase this turn.

Gardna Guild - Lockout

Level 3 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/1000

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. When your opponent declares an attack(Quick Effect): you can discard this card, Special Summon 1 "Gardna" monster from your GY in Attack Position. When your opponent activates a monster effect while this card is face-up on your side of the field(Quick Effect): you can target that opponent's monster, negate this card's effects, and if you do, negate the target's effects. Your opponent cannot draw cards, except during the Draw Phase.

Gardna Guild - Ghost

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/1900

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. Your opponent cannot target "Gardna" monsters for attacks, except this face-up card. When this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: you can target 1 monster your opponent controls, it loses 1000 ATK and DEF.

Gardna Guild - Mid Shield

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrio/Effect - 0/1000

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. Your opponent cannot target or destroy face-up "Gardna" cards you control, except this card.

Gardna Guild - Gagaga

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/2000

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. Once per turn, when your opponent declares an attack: you can Special Summon this card from your habd or GY. If a face-up "Gardna" card would be destroyed: you can discard 1 card, target that "Gardna" card, and if you do, it is not destroyed.

Gardna Guild - Zero

Level 4 - EARTH - Warrior/Effect - 0/0

This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. Once per turn(Quick Effect): you can discard this card from your hand, "Gardna" cards you control cannot be destroyed this turn. Once per turn(Quick Effect): you can banish this card from your GY, negate the effects of monsters your opponent controls.

[spoiler=Spells and Traps]

Gardna Fortress

Field Spell

When this card is activated: Shuffle all your banished "Gardna" cards into your Deck. All "Guild Gardna" monsters you control gain 500 DEF. "Gardna" cards cannot be destroyed by card effects, other than this card.

[spoiler=Extra Deck Monsters]

Gardna Guild - Armored

Rank 4 - EARTH - Warrior/Xyz/Effect - 0/2800

2 Level 4 monsters

This card can also be Xyz Summoned by using 2 "Gardna" monsters as the Materials. This card can attack in Defense Position. If it does, use this card's DEF for damage calculation. "Gardna" monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle. You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card, target 1 monster your opponent controls, and if you do, this card gains DEF equal to the targeted monster's DEF.

Well, the concept is certainly interesting, but I'm not 100% sure on the execution.  You got the "slow" part down, but there is very little sense of a stall playstyle and the cards range greatly from "too good" to "near useless".

The running theme is the attacks while in defense, which is a concept that I've always liked all the way back to when Total Defense Shogun was the only one who could do it.  The field spell does a good job at buffing the numbers to a respectable amount + protection which the deck, (ironically considering its theme) sorely lacked.  As important as it is, the lack of an in-archetype way of grabbing it is pretty odd, though not a be-all, end-all.

[spoiler=Thoughts]

Big Shield acts as the main attack force and makes itself a prime example for the question that kept running through my mind as I was reading these: how are you getting these into face-up defense position?  The goal of the deck seems to be eventually wearing down the opponent with attacks from defense position monsters, but... there aren't many ways of getting them into defense position in the first place.  2600 "ATK" is amazing, so I can understand why Big Shield may not be easily placed into defense, but the others have low enough defense stats for you to give them a "Superheavy Samurai Blue Brawler"-esque battle position change effect.

Necro is probably the third best card of the set and personally, the one that I feel the deck has most "direction" with.  It straight up skips your opponent's BP which is the definition of stall affording you time to set up your plays.  It being a once per turn version of Electromagnetic Turtle might lend itself to some trouble, but I think it is harmless enough.

Lockout... tries to do a lot but falls flat in pretty much all its areas.  I think the biggest thing for me is the fact that it brings back the monster in attack position.  I get that that's what its counterpart does, but the original Lockout had an ATK stat.  In exchange, this card's "ATK" stat is its DEF stat.  It should probably be allowed to bring back Gardnas into defense position.

Ghost - only slightly better than the original.  This could probably do with some kind of better stall-based effect.  Can't complain too much though because of its 2400 "ATK" stat with the field spell.

Mid Shield - This is the "near useless" one as referenced in the beginning.  Its would be excellent: giving both targeting and destruction protection to all your Gardnas, except... 1000 DEF.  1500 under the field spell.  That's not going to stop any deck from running it over and proceeding with plays as normal.  Further, with the lack of any (archetypal) means of searching, you cannot effectively try to create a lock with two of these either.  give it its counterpart's 1800 defense and it might have a tiny bit more potential.

Gagaga - Unintentionally probably the second (or maybe even the) best monster in the set.  You gave the effect a "soft Once per turn" SOPT (i.e. "Once per turn, blah blah blah").  SOPTs only work on monster effects on the field.  If a monster leaves the field/is moved, the effect is reset.  Because of this, SOPTs, for the most part, can't be used on effects that don't activate on the field.  Basically, what you've got with your wording here allows you to keep summoning Gagaga over and over if it keeps getting destroyed after every attack.  You need to put a "hard Once per turn" HOPT to stop this from happening (... You can only use this effect of "blah blah blah" once per turn).

Zero - The indisputable best monster simply by virtue of being a searchable, millable, SS2 Skill Drain.  It can be used offensively or defensively, and if used on an opponent's 1st turn board, can prevent your own plays from disruption in its entirety.  The fact that the negation doesn't wear off is also pretty critical.  It might need a cost to tone it down some.

Armored - A Dark Rebellion for DEF.  Little else to say about it.  It's effective at what it does.

I think it needs a little bit of reworking.  Buff some effects, nerf some others.  I think a couple backrow options (traps maybe, since you're aiming for defense) could help the deck immensely.

Archived