Introducing Parrybound! A group of cards based on an underused mechanic, attack negation! A group of expert fencers, they'll tkae your monster's attacks and turn them back on them!

Monsters

Parrybound Novice                             WIND / Warrior          Lv1      ATK 600 / DEF 600

Once, while you control this face-up card, when another “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. You can activate each of the following effects of “Parrybound Novice” once per turn:

·         If an attack targeting this card is negated, you can target a card in the opponent's GY; banish it.

·         If a “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack, you can reveal this card in your hand; negate the attack, then Special Summon this card.

Parrybound Prodigy                            WIND / Warrior         Lv2      ATK 1000 / DEF 800

Once, while you control this face-up card, when another “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. You can activate each of the following effects of “Parrybound Prodigy” once per turn:

·         If an attack targeting this card is negated, you can target a monster on the field; destroy that target.

·         If this card is Summoned; you can add a “Parrybound” card, other than “Parrybound Prodigy”, from your deck or GY to your hand.

Parrybound Teacher’s Aid                 WIND / Warrior         Lv3      ATK 1400 / DEF 1000

Once, while you control this face-up card, when another “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. You can activate each of the following effects of “Parrybound Teacher’s Aid” once per turn:

·         If an attack targeting this card is negated, you can draw a card.

·         If this card us Summoned, you can target a “Parrybound” monster you control; it’s attack becomes double it’s original attack, until the end of the turn.

Parrybound Instructor                         WIND / Warrior         Lv4      ATK 1800 / DEF 1200

Once, while you control this face-up card, when another “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. You can activate each of the following effects of “Parrybound Instructor” once per turn:

·         If an attack targeting this card is negated, you can target a Spell/Trap on the field; destroy that target.

·         If this card us Summoned, you can Special Summon a “Parrybound” monster, other than “Parrybound Instructor”, from your hand or GY.

Spells

Parrybound Fencing Room                 Field

Once per turn when a “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. If an attack targeting a “Parrybound” monster is negated, that monster cannot be targeted for an attack or by the opponent’s card effects for the rest of the turn but does not prevent the opponent’s monsters from attacking directly. While you control 2 or more “Parrybound” monsters; halve all battle damage you take.

Traps

Parrybound Back and Forth                Counter

When a “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; negate the attack. During your opponent’s turn, you can banish this card from the GY, then target a “Parrybound” monster you control; return it to the hand, then Special Summon a “Parrybound” monster from your hand.

Parrybound Double Block                  Normal

When the opponent’s monster declares an attack, you can either send this card from your hand to the GY or banish this card from your GY; negate the attack. Then, if two or more attacks have been negated during the current turn; draw a card.

Parrybound Taunting Pose                 Continuous

“Parrybound” cards you control cannot be destroyed by your opponent’s cards and effects during their turn. If the opponent declares an attack; negate this card’s effects until the end of the turn (even if the attack is negated). During your turn, "Parrybound" monsters you control gain 300 ATK. You can only control 1 “Parrybound Taunting Pose”. 

Note: Thought about adding a LV5 monster called “Parrybound Retired Master”, but couldn’t think of a good eff for it. Suggestions?

By the by, I'm not sold on my archetype name. I just can't think of anything better.

Is Novice's attack negation while on the field meant to be mandatory? All the rest have it as optional.

Parrybound is a pretty good name that sums up the archetype rather well. I certainly can't think of any alternatives. It's certainly interesting to see another battle-theme archetype, especially one which revolves around, well, not battling. You've certainly got offensive archetypes completely beaten, however there are a few weaknesses present.

Firstly, and technically secondly, your archetype's dealing with Utopia the Lightning clauses and actually getting your opponent to attack. Taunting Pose gave me a lot of headaches trying to figure out how it worked, and while I initially saw it as a complete failure in both areas, it actually almost succeeds. You see, the protecting your monsters from cards or effects means that they can still negate attacks even by monsters with Armades clauses, and the negation of its own effects means it forces your opponent's to try and attack you in order to get over your monster. However, this negation won't apply if your opponent prevents you from activating Spell/Trap Cards or effects, meaning that, for the most part, your monsters can still do their thing. However, the issues start to come up then; your opponent is then encouraged not to attack with those negating effects, rendering the second idea of your effect even useless, and if your opponent's monster simple negates monster effects, well, it gets completely past the card anyway. At least the negation applies until the end of the turn if your opponent does attack, meaning they still have their MP2 to play with. However, leaving both issues to one card with no protection AND making it a slow Trap means it's not really dealt with. I would suggest at least dealing with one of these issues on another card. Perhaps combine it with a cannot be attacked clause on Retired Master?

The third issue is one of the archetype's actual plays. You got your monsters, you've used their once-while-face-up effects...what now? You have a little bit of removal on 2 of your monsters, and a monster that doubles attack...but really there's no win condition here. There's no stun on your opponent's cards or effects, meaning they can combo however they want, attack with one monster to negate your Trap if you even have it, then Raigeki your field MP2, and you don't really have much to counter it. What are you supposed to do going first, even? You rely so much on your opponent that not only are you dependent on their strength, but you're depended by their decisions. They dictate how you play the game. Where's a boss? Surely you need something to do with your monster's while you have used up their one negation. Main Deck, Extra Deck it doesn't matter, but you need to have some way of restocking them and bringing them back; see Wind-Ups. 

Your fourth problem is your Spells, but mostly your Field Spell. You have attack negation down-pat with all of your monsters; why do you want more of it? As for that Field Spell, it barely provides any advantage at all. Why do you want your opponent to attack you directly? I've already said you don't need that first effect, but the last effect protecting battle damage exists solely for the first effect. This reminds me a lot of a Ghostrick Field Spell, which did a similar thing but for both players, allowing you to get an win condition once your opponent's field had been Set face-down.

Yeah, great concept and fun plays, but redundant cards and no real plays after their initial punch.

No Novice was in error and has been corrected.

I'll need to think about Pose; I didn't see those issues coming up. Maybe change it to "can't be destroyed by card effects"? and make it protect all cards? Actually, do you think that eff would be better for the field spell instead?

I felt letting them each negate an attack every turn was overpowered, hence the once while on the field. Back and Forth is supposed to provide the bounce to let you "reset" your monsters to reuse. The field spell was to give you an extra negate since the mons could only be used once each. May try to think of a better eff for it.

Maybe a card that weakens/negates a monster's whose's attacks are negated?

Parrybound Retired Master                         WIND / Warrior         Lv5      ATK 2100 / DEF 1400

Once, while you control this face-up card, when another “Parrybound” monster you control is targeted for an attack; you can negate the attack. You can activate each of the following effects of “Parrybound Instructor” once per turn:

·         If an attack targeting this card is negated, you can target 1 card on the field; negate it's effects until the end of the turn.

·         If an attack targeting a Parrybound monster you control is negated, you can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do the ATK of the attacking monster becomes 0 until the end of your next turn.

I felt letting them each negate an attack every turn was overpowered, hence the once while on the field. Back and Forth is supposed to provide the bounce to let you "reset" your monsters to reuse. The field spell was to give you an extra negate since the mons could only be used once each. May try to think of a better eff for it.

The problem isn't the negation lasting; it's what you do after you've negated your attacks. You have your ATK gain on one card, and no other means of actually winning the game. You need a boss, or some means of dealing damage; some means of winning instead of stalling. At the very least more cards to return them to the hand.

Archived