Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Mindmelders - The New Fusion! [WIP - 24/28]

- - - - - WRITTEN LEGACY

Necrobump!

Guest, the last post on this topic is over 30 days old and a new post will be considered as necrobumping!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• AGM Founder
  • 5,473 posts
    Last Visit Today, 03:10 PM
Because ideas for Fusion won't leave me alone, I give you the brainchild I've concocted- literally just Fusion spam central, with a neat effect-for-Fusion gimmick.

You see, I always liked the idea of Attribute Fusions like Invoked, Shaddolls, and omni-HEROs. However, they never seemed to stand as Decks with variety in the way their Fusions worked- Invoked became too centered around Mechaba, 'dolls clustered around Construct, and HEROs loved their Ab0 and Shining a bit too much (before Masked HERO came along and the entire Deck became "make Dark Law ASAP", that is). Part of this comes from there being overcentralization on LIGHT and DARK monsters in general, but I do think that part of it comes from built-in flaws in the way that these archetypes are constructed, that force one boss because it is unquestionably your best option in most situations. This goes a long way towards limiting the design flexibility of a Deck built with a given Fusion archetype in mind- can you imagine what interesting Deck builds we could have seen if, say, Anoyatyllis had as much utility as Construct, or if Purgatrio had been the best Invoked monster?

My idea with Mindmelders was to bridge the gap- by including Main Deck members of every Attribute and giving them effects that trigger upon being used for Fusion, slight variations on the scale of the effect quality of the bosses themselves can be made up for by the argument that it's a natural choice thanks to the Main Deck member of its corresponding Attribute.

Tl;dr: By incentivizing all of the Main Deck dudes simultaneously, I encourage a greater representation of the Fusions.

Main Deck monsters

Spells/Traps

Fusion

I'm also on DeviantART
I'm in the AGM, as its founder
Oh, and CowCow says I'm a Tyrunt.One of these days I will evolve . . .
But I am a Pokémon of my own

LEc7qUd.png

September's AGM Deck Challenge:
Boosts and drainage!
PM me for more details on AGM Deck Challenges, for your chance at 1000 Points!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 5,473 posts
Update for the first triple-Fusion.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Boosts and drainage!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,572 posts
    Last Visit Today, 08:19 AM
  • Discord:Dova#1498
  • Alias:Dova
  • Spouse:Dova

Avatar is spicy. E-Tele target and can SS a copy of itself, along with amazing generic removal; a nice 3 of engine in Psychic Decks. I know what I'm going to be adding to my Mekk-Knights. Also, it technically has 2 effects when being used as a Fusion Material, meaning it's a definite must-have in the Deck. Better than Terra? Well, it's hard to tell. A Fusion Recycler is good, and while you don't normally care about field presence in a Fusion Deck, this one can make easy use of Ultimate Poly, by recycling those no HOPT on-Fusion effects. So, on the whole, Avatar is the better card, but Terra isn't bad at all. Aside from that and mayhaps Adepth (loving the names btw) it seems you hit the sweet spot of making them all the same power level and all justifiable, rather than simply making the good fusions have bad monsters as materials and so on and so forth.

Like the "MIND" spelling you have going on, akin to the "HERO" variant. Let's be real for a second thought; your opponent is never going to think of banishing or destroying your Spell. Not with such a potent second effect. Might as well put "send all cards on your opponent's side of the field to the GY". Can't even get around it by negating its effects with a niche monster or using a Counter Trap on it, as A) they tend not to work on Spell/Trap effects and B) chaining it to activation just destroys it/banishes it anyway. I mean, my Shinobirds wouldn't care, but that's just one archetype, and shuffling/bouncing is barely a thing. I thought you might be doing a thing by having a monster called Avatar while having a seperate EARTH monster that fits into this archetype's gimmick more, but having 1 Trap that takes advantage of it, and again, a Trap at that (Summoning a monster with a SS1 effect), certainly doesn't necessitate it. Only real other complaints here are on your Poly and Return. The latter is just unneeded with all of your GY play and other means of SSing, so you can definitely just drop it, whereas the former just seems to do much. It Fusion Summons, then Fusion Summons with the next turns with the materials it just used, netting you their effects twice, and then re-adds itself? That's two-upping both Metalfoes and Gem-Knights.

First thing that comes to mind with the Fusions is the Burnspiration/Terra loop. Fusion Summon Burnspiration with a FIRE monster + Terra, then use Terra to mill another Terra than add itself, then use Burnspiration's effect to SS the other Terra. If you have another Fusion Spell/effect, the Loop is now set:

1) Fusion Summon Burnspiration #2 using Terra #1 in hand.

2) Burnspiration #1 GY effect, add your Fusion Spell from your GY to your hand

3) Terra #1 mills any monster of your choice, then adds Burnspiration from your GY to your ED.

4) Fusion Summon Burnspiration #1 using Terra #2 on your field.

5) Burnspiration #2 GY effect, add your Fusion Spell from your GY to your hand

6) Terra #2 mills any monster of your choice, adding Terra #1 from your GY to your hand.

7) Burnspiration #1 field effect, SS Terra #2 from your GY.

You're now at the same point you were at before, with another monster in your GY. Repeat ad infinitum. Even if you fixed Burnspiration to just work on effects that added to the hand, you'd still have a loop with Breezeus. I actually just thought that one up now, and it's much simpler and plusses you more, although you run out of Burnspirations eventually. All you need is a FIRE monster + Breezeus and 2 Fusion Spells, and the game's done:

1) Fusion Summon Burnspiration #1

2) Breezeus search, add any monster.

3) Burnspiration #1 field effect, SS Breezeus from your GY.

4) Same as before, except using Burnspiration as material so it gets you a search

Hey, combine the two combos if you wish. Nothing stopping you.

The issue doesn't just lie in the respect MD monster or your Fusion; it's the lack of HOPT in general that's the problem. Not only is it hard to discern where it is (sorry Draconus, but that bracket thing is confusing, at least for me) but the first loop I mentioned is possible with any of the aforementioned monsters, as they all have those on-sent-to-the-GY effect; you just won't plus.

Really abusable at the moment with the combination of the ED + MD, but really, in isolation, I love the monsters and their creative effects. I just think they could've been a bit less gimmicky. I know I'm one to talk, with Murine and similar archetypes under my sleeve, but outside of the Spells and Avatar, the Main Deck Monsters aren't really that interesting. Am really looking forward to seeing where this goes; just really balance issues at the moment.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 5,473 posts
Let's address your complaints one at a time.

The Field is actually that way to punish backrow/full field nukes, because those are disgustingly common in the AGM in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Mindlessly clearing everything needs to have a punishment that actually matters, and the best thing I could think of was from-Deck Fusion.

The interesting thing about Poly is that, as a Normal Spell, the first two effects can only be activated during your Main Phases, meaning that you effectively have to wait three turns to get off the recoup (way too slow to matter), and given the prevalence of hand control in among AGM archetypes, most notably involving names, it's very simple for your opponent to make sure that they have the appropriate removal method on hand to snipe Fusion when your Banished Zone doesn't have any useful Mindmelders in it.

That is a loop, yes . . . but what does it accomplish? You send most of your Deck to the Graveyard, and you repeatedly Fusion Summon using the same monster as Material over and over. Once you finish your loop, you'll have a set up Graveyard with nothing to show for it unless you had another playmaker on hand (which breaks your loop anyway). I noticed it in the design phase, but besides looking flashy nothing gets accomplished. It's not like the Flint Lock loop, where you gain LP and make it harder for your opponent to kill you, and it's not like any FTK burn loop. You just bring out Burninspuration over and over, throwing a Deck that doesn't benefit from being in the Graveyard on its own into the Graveyard. Breezeus is slightly more intimidating in this respect by getting off a few searches, but as stated you can only actually do it 3 times before you run out of Burninspiration in your ED. The Main Deck kids' effects trigger on use as Material, not on being sent to the Graveyard, keep in mind- I made sure that you have to do what the Deck wants before the Main Deck pays dividends, so dumping doesn't accomplish anything for you besides thinning, and the Fusions just set up your ability to Fusion again. That said, I should probably cut out Terra's ability to re-add itself.

Each Main Deck kid's on-Summon effect is the one that's HOPT. The bracket spells this out very, very easily, so I rarely don't know what the issue is.

Oh yeah- flavor-wise, each Main Deck Mindmelder takes effect inspiration from one each of a HERO and a Shaddoll monster of the appropriate Attribute, with the exception of Adepth abd Voidess. You see, Shaddolls take a basis in various monsters from the DT storyline, so they represent most Attributes in the game pre-dollification- Inferna, for example, is both Blazeman and Hedgehog (originally Neo Flamvell Hedgehog), and Breezeus is both Stratos and Falco (originally Gusto Falco). However, 'dolls did not consume a DARK or WATER monster in their Main Deck, so I took liberties with the second source for each.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Boosts and drainage!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,572 posts

That is a loop, yes . . . but what does it accomplish? You send most of your Deck to the Graveyard, and you repeatedly Fusion Summon using the same monster as Material over and over. Once you finish your loop, you'll have a set up Graveyard with nothing to show for it unless you had another playmaker on hand (which breaks your loop anyway). I noticed it in the design phase, but besides looking flashy nothing gets accomplished.

I mean, you are setting up your GY with all that sending, as this archetype has a lot of GY Summoning, and it sets up for the Fusion Spell which in turn triggers the GY effects of your choice. But, it was more a future-proofing change; I don't think loops of any sort should be encouraged, as eventually a card will come up that can benefit of that.

Didn't realize we had so many backrow nukers in the AGM. Certainly adds an element of strategy to the affair.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 5,473 posts
Mostly because a lot of us went to the GX school of cards design when we first joined- every older archetype has at least one way to deal with backrow, some more powerful than others. Not only that, I think that one archetype (either one of Eshai's or one of MetalSonic's) has basically a searchable archetypal HFD, so that is kinda ridiculous. The only thing keeping Heavy Storm and HFD out at this point is a sense of restraint from overkill.

Well, Terra has been edited to be unable to grab copies if herself back, making the loop considerably harder
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Boosts and drainage!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

Dova

Dova

DovaMember

• Dova

• 3,572 posts

Hey, mind if I ask what the deal was with Avatar? It stands out among the rest of the monsters like a sore thumb, and with only one card granting it support, it seems like it was intended to be some sort of Prisma or something but just ended up being another EARTH material.

Draconus297

Draconus297

Dragon Lord

• Topic Starter
  • AGM Founder
  • 5,473 posts
Funny you should ask about Avatar- you're absolutely right. In an earlier draft, it was Prisma-esque, until I went with the HEROdoll flavor for the Main Deck. Since literally the only good LIGHT Main Deck HERO is Prisma, Sol took that effect, and Avatar became an Exiled Force/Lonefire combo monster, in place of a ripoff of A Hero Lives.
I'm also on DeviantART

LEc7qUd.png

Boosts and drainage!

SKDRKF CNMLKQNKQ:
PADE XACQZIMTS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users