Great Wall of Amicae

aussj4link

048EbHp.jpg

Great Wall of Amicae

Level 8

Earth
Rock / Effect

ATK 0 / DEF 3000

"You can Special Summon this card from the Graveyard by banishing one monster with DEF that's higher than their original ATK from the Hand, Field, or Graveyard. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by an effect, you can discard one Earth monster from your hand to negate the destruction. As long as this card remains face-up, your opponent cannot target other monsters for attacks or effects."

_________________________________________________________________________________

So first off, I think my wording is off here. If anyone would like to help I'd be much appreciative. 

Hopefully this isn't too overpowered but I felt like the game is too focused on being a glass cannon with virtually no survivability where the game is more of a quick draw type of game of who can hit first and how hard can they hit. This card is my attempt along with maybe some other cards I make, to slow the game down a tiny bit and force people to strategize further than one turn at a time as everyone just does huge plays hoping for those OTKs without any thought of what happens if they fail. 

The high DEF is of course for battle defence and it's discarding of an Earth monster is for targeting destruction defence. It's special summon effect is so that it can help slow the game down as it can very easily come back every turn if need be. And finally, probably the most overpowered part, is that both attacks and targeting effects must go to this card. So it acts as a sponge that you could at least use once per turn given that it stays in your GY and you have the resources to bring it back. 

It is a level 8. Which means you can sac for it, but the reason for that specific level is to combo with a card like Trade-In. It's weaknesses are pretty obvious. Simply banish it and it's done. Kycoo stops both it's summon and it's fuel. Personally, I think this would be a great card in any Earth deck and would help to stall opponent's big combos if they are reliant on targeting effects. What do you guys think?

The protection effect is nice and all, coupled with being a Trade-In target and easier summoning conditions, though issue is finding decks that can afford to run defensive cards like this over power plays. Granted, the game's gotten to that point now, but it does fine with what you need it to do. Also note that a lot of bosses do have effect/battle immunity, albeit in limited forms at times. 

Getting 2 of these out helps though, but in this regard, you may want to limit how many you can summon in one turn or control (not that you'd expect to get 2 of these into the GY with ease unless you mill stuff). 

Also of note, Kaijus exist and other stuff like Lava Golem / cards that let you Tribute opponent's monsters for removal. 

The protection effect is nice and all, coupled with being a Trade-In target and easier summoning conditions, though issue is finding decks that can afford to run defensive cards like this over power plays. Granted, the game's gotten to that point now, but it does fine with what you need it to do. Also note that a lot of bosses do have effect/battle immunity, albeit in limited forms at times. 

Getting 2 of these out helps though, but in this regard, you may want to limit how many you can summon in one turn or control (not that you'd expect to get 2 of these into the GY with ease unless you mill stuff). 

Also of note, Kaijus exist and other stuff like Lava Golem / cards that let you Tribute opponent's monsters for removal. 

I kinda wondered about that as well. I thought maybe a deck that could produce two at once may make this card a little too overpowered. Hell, you could discard a second Great Wall to pay the cost of the one of the field and then summon it right there. Controlling only one at a time may work as a limiter. I actually like that things like Kaijus and Golems will still take it out because I feel like it needs a little more balancing. Even after being tributed, sure they got rid of it, but if your deck is good with Earth, it'll be right back and likely that same Earth deck will be able to make bigger plays because it has more field resource. I believe several Earth strategies involve the use of high defence and low attack monsters. Also, several Extra Deck monsters require level 8s that this can likely be used over and over to abuse those monster's summoning. Also, if your deck runs discard costs, this card loses nothing by being used for those costs. In fact, it's somewhat preferable. I think limiting it's control to one at a time would be a good nerf.

Lol this great walls of America is so overpowered like what, all I gotta do is have monster with higher defence and it doesn’t even need to be on field. That’s op

How about you can only special summon this card by banishing 1 monster from your field and 1 from your hand whose total original DEF is greater or equal to this card’s DEF.

The problem with that suggestion is most of the monsters that have 3000 or more DEF either are:

• Vanillas and you aren't running them otherwise for the most part
  • Main Decks that generally suck (or you got better things to do than sacrifice them for a reactive card)
  • Extra Deck monsters that you actually have to get into the GY.

But yeah, you should just limit it to 1 copy on your field, otherwise getting 2 out will not be fun unless you Kaiju or use sweep bouncing removal. As far as EARTH decks go with high DEF, if you're thinking about Rock Turbo or something; that's about it and I think that went out of style a long time ago.

Otherwise, common EARTH decks like Zoos are more offensively based (well, factor in the undetermined stats of their ED).

Lol this great walls of America is so overpowered like what, all I gotta do is have monster with higher defence and it doesn’t even need to be on field. That’s op

How about you can only special summon this card by banishing 1 monster from your field and 1 from your hand whose total original DEF is greater or equal to this card’s DEF.

"Amicae" is actually a Diablo II suffix on items with extremely high damage reduction. Though how close the word is to "America" is kinda funny. The ease of summoning is a part of it's ability to slow the duel down. These days, there's a myriad of ways to bounce, banish, negate, tribute, and return to the deck that it's resummon ability really isn't that difficult to get around. 

The problem with that suggestion is most of the monsters that have 3000 or more DEF either are:

• Vanillas and you aren't running them otherwise for the most part
  • Main Decks that generally suck (or you got better things to do than sacrifice them for a reactive card)
  • Extra Deck monsters that you actually have to get into the GY.

But yeah, you should just limit it to 1 copy on your field, otherwise getting 2 out will not be fun unless you Kaiju or use sweep bouncing removal. As far as EARTH decks go with high DEF, if you're thinking about Rock Turbo or something; that's about it and I think that went out of style a long time ago.

Otherwise, common EARTH decks like Zoos are more offensively based (well, factor in the undetermined stats of their ED).

I agree. 

I disagree. This really needs a hard OPT on its summoning effect/condition. Otherwise, even with the "highlander clause", you can use it as Link Material, then banish something else to bring it back again, and repeat until you are done with your Link laddering, or deplete your fodder.

Also want to note that the Ghost Girls happen to have more original DEF than original ATK, and they are quite popular, helping this card's case.

Text fix suggestion:

You can Special Summon this card (from your GY) by banishing 1 monster whose DEF is higher than its original ATK from your hand, field, or GY. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can discard 1 EARTH monster from your hand instead. Your opponent cannot target monsters you control with effects or for attack, except this one.

I disagree. This really needs a hard OPT on its summoning effect/condition. Otherwise, even with the "highlander clause", you can use it as Link Material, then banish something else to bring it back again, and repeat until you are done with your Link laddering, or deplete your fodder.

Also want to note that the Ghost Girls happen to have more original DEF than original ATK, and they are quite popular, helping this card's case.

Text fix suggestion:

You can Special Summon this card (from your GY) by banishing 1 monster whose DEF is higher than its original ATK from your hand, field, or GY. Once per turn, if this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can discard 1 EARTH monster from your hand instead. Your opponent cannot target monsters you control with effects or for attack, except this one.

Yeah, I don't have much Link experience. My friends IRL don't use them and in YGO it goes so fast I often don't see all the things they do before they've done them. The time limit doesn't help either as my opponent will use 5 different cards each with book length text so if I go to read all of them I will time out. This has made skip reading altogether and often times just hope I can do what I can do. So I didn't take Links into account. An OPT on the summoning would erase the need for the controlling one at a time part too. So instead of being able to spam this card from the GY, I could make the summon a once per turn but it can be done during either player's MP1? Would that be too OP?

Also, I really like the text change. I will change it to that as that looks much better than what I had.

Archived