DIVINE Debut [18/18]

VCR_CAT

If the question is "How are you going to make use of DIVINE and Divine-Beast as gameplay mechanics?" Well let me SHOW YOU!

I worked in the mechanic of DIVINE being separate in the place it matters the most: Attribute play. As it is, DIVINE is the closest we have to a "neutral" attribute, something that doesn't work with 99% of the rest of the game while everyone else uses the other cards. In working with Attribute play, I can take advantage of that difference in a variety of different ways.

I chose Fusion because it's the summoning mechanic that makes the most of monster differences. Xyz and Link play off of similarities too much, while Synchro is more focused on level calculations. Moreover, I intentionally decided against Link support, playing into the fact that DIVINE/Divine Beast aren't pools that can access a variety of other Link monsters, but took that to my advantage in focusing on a different approach to the Extra Monster Zone, making it a location where a card can be significantly stronger without worrying about how it may impact the game if the player had multiples of that monster on the field.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the theme, and have learned a fair bit in terms of card grammar that surrounds attributes and the Extra Monster Zone.

[spoiler=Monsters]

sCQYanJ.png

Unaffected by the activated effects of monsters with the same Attribute as this card. While this card is a DIVINE monster: You can add 1 "Di-" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Ignis of the Di-Terra" once per turn. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes FIRE.

ovADBna.png

Unaffected by the activated effects of monsters with the same Attribute as this card. Once per turn, if an opponent's monster's effect is activated while this card is a DIVINE monster (Quick Effect): You can negate the activation. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes WIND.

JxF4fsb.png

Unaffected by the activated effects of monsters with the same Attribute as this card. While this card is a DIVINE monster: You can add 1 "Divinity" Spell that you have banished or from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of "Aqua of the Di-Terra" once per turn. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes WATER.

WY5qsuO.png

Unaffected by the activated effects of monsters with the same Attribute as this card. Once per turn, if an opponent's monster attacks a monster you control while this card is a DIVINE monster: You can negate the attack. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes EARTH.

e60QK83.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) while you control at least 1 DIVINE monster. You can only Special Summon 1 "Umbra of the Di-Terra" this way per turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Di-Terra" monster in your GY, except "Umbra of the Di-Terra"; Special Summon that target. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes DARK.

X5BNa4f.png

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) while you control no monsters. Once per turn: You can Fusion Summon 1 DIVINE monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material (including this card). Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects: • Target 1 monster your opponent controls; this card becomes that target's Attribute. • This card becomes LIGHT.

[spoiler=Fusion Monsters]

TFOanoe.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 FIRE monster

Unaffected by the activated effects of FIRE monsters. This card in the Extra Monster Zone gains 200 ATK for each FIRE monster on the field. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field FIRE until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, inflict 300 damage to your opponent for each FIRE monster on the field.

U76KOwp.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 WIND monster
Unaffected by the activated effects of WIND monsters. This card in the Extra Monster can make up to 2 attacks on monsters during each Battle Phase. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field WIND until the end of this turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can return 1 monster on the field or in either GY to the hand.

nnuuGu3.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 WATER monster
Unaffected by the activated effects of WATER monsters. This card in the Extra Monster Zone cannot be destroyed by battle with a WATER monster. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field WATER until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can target up to 5 DIVINE monsters in your GY; shuffle those targets into your Deck, and if you do, you gain LP equal to the number of targets shuffled x200.

5ziNyie.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 EARTH monster
Unaffected by the activated effects of EARTH monsters. This card in the Extra Monster Zone gains 200 DEF for each EARTH monster on the field. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field EARTH until the end of this turn. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 monster you control; this turn, monsters your opponent controls cannot target other monsters you control with effects or for attacks except the target monster.

C8Qt30U.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 DARK monster
Unaffected by the activated effects of DARK monsters. If this card in the Extra Monster Zone battles an opponent's monster that was Special Summoned from the Extra Deck, any battle damage it inflicts to your opponent is doubled. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field DARK until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can banish up to 5 DIVINE monsters from your GY and target an equal number of monsters in your opponent's GY; banish those targets, then this card gains ATK/DEF equal to the number of cards banished x200.

zkAEXqC.png

1 "Di-" monster + 1 LIGHT monster
Unaffected by the activated effects of LIGHT monsters. While this card is in the Extra Monster Zone, you can Normal Summon 1 Divine-Beast monster in addition to your Normal Summon/Set. You can only gain this effect of "Sol Di-Coelum" once per turn. Once per turn, while this card is in the Extra Monster Zone (Quick Effect): You can make all monsters on the field LIGHT until the end of this turn. (Quick Effect): You can Fusion Summon 1 "Di-Coelum" monster from your Extra Deck, banishing monsters from your field and/or GY as Fusion Material. You can only use this effect of "Sol Di-Coelum" once per turn.

It24eoS.png

1 "Di-Coelum" monster + 2 non-DIVINE Divine-Beast monsters with the same Attribute
Must be Fusion Summoned. This card in the Extra Monster Zone cannot be targeted or destroyed by card effects. If this card is Fusion Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone: You can target up to 4 Divine-Beast monsters in your GY with different Attributes; Special Summon those targets, but they cannot activate their effects. If your opponent Special Summons a monster (Quick Effect): You can target 1 Divine-Beast monster you control; your opponent's Special Summoned monster's Attribute becomes the target monster's Attribute.

LoiE5JP.png

1 "Di-Coelum" monster + 2 non-DIVINE Divine-Beast monsters with different Attributes
Must be Fusion Summoned. This card in the Extra Monster Zone gains ATK/DEF equal to the number of different Attributes in your GY x200. If this card is Fusion Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone: Shuffle all non-DIVINE monsters on the field into the Deck. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Di-Coelum" monster in your GY; until the End Phase, this card becomes the target monster's Attribute, and replace this effect with that monster's original effects.

[spoiler=Spells]

2mJ6EEo.png

Fusion Summon 1 Level 10 or higher Fusion Monster from your Extra Deck, using monsters from your hand or field as Fusion Material. If summoning a Divine-Beast monster this way, you can also use 1 Divine-Beast monster from your Deck as Fusion Material. If a Level 10 Divine-Beast monster is sent to your GY while this card is in your GY: You can banish this card, and if you do, Special Summon that sent monster, but negate its effects and destroy it at the end of the turn. You can only use this effect of "Origin of Divinity" once per turn.

4fad7CY.png

Special Summon 1 Divine-Beast monster from your hand or GY, but if that monster is Level 10 or higher, negate its effects and it cannot attack. If a DIVINE monster you control would be destroyed by battle or card effect while this card is in your GY, you can banish this card from your GY instead.

Qq4ZUUH.png

You can activate 1 of these effects: ● Add 1 "Di-" monster from your Deck to your hand. ● Add 1 "Divinity" Spell that you have banished or from your Deck to your hand, except "Firmament of Divinity".
You can only use 1 "Firmament of Divinity" per turn.

UTDhxUZ.png

Monsters you control gain ATK/DEF equal to the number of different Attributes on your field x100. Once per turn: You can target 1 monster you control and declare 1 Attribute; that target's Attribute becomes the declared Attribute. If this card is sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 other "Divinity" Spell in your GY; banish it and this card, then draw 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Role of Divinity" once per turn.

Just a sidenote that I haven't OFFICIALLY released the lock on DIVINEs in Advanced. I said it would be removed in the next couple days, yes, but it would come with an update to the rulebook & a formal announcement. Until then, you still have to post DIVINEs in Casual. 

Then again, you don't have the appropriate notes for Advanced otherwise. All threads are required to have them, so yeah. 

Once the policy is removed and everything else is given, this will be moved back. 

Just a sidenote that I haven't OFFICIALLY released the lock on DIVINEs in Advanced. I said it would be removed in the next couple days, yes, but it would come with an update to the rulebook & a formal announcement. Until then, you still have to post DIVINEs in Casual. 

Then again, you don't have the appropriate notes for Advanced otherwise. All threads are required to have them, so yeah. 

Once the policy is removed and everything else is given, this will be moved back. 

Oh come on, you don't have to do anything but edit a post and then not enforce it. I swear you're just doing this to spite me at this point.

I've edited in the proper "Required notes", and I more or less demand this be moved back to Advanced Multiples, as per it should be fine regardless of your bullshit technicality.

This thread's move to Casual was not due out of spite towards you, but rather that (1) the rule wasn't dropped [i should've made it clear that an announcement would be given when it happened] and (2) you did lack the notes required for the section, even if I had already dropped the policy prior to this card. 

Since you have added them, and I have already released the policy, this shall be moved back. 

Sorry for the essay lol. I didn't intend to write more than one or two paragraphs at first XD

[spoiler=Flavour]I found it really hard to review these from a flavour standpoint, as I always have considered the DIVINE/Divine-Beast/Creator God area sacred ground (hooray for puns xd) and I feel with anything save for stuff related to the original Gods/Horathky, it just loses its luster. And yeah, and while the art looks nice, I come away feeling disappointed in regards to the theming, seemingly only Divine by name...but that could just be me coming into it with a negative attitude.

However, I do feel a little more open to the idea of that area myself having actually finished writing this. Maybe your interesting (as usual) design tickled the cardmaker in me, but while I still feel cautious, I have a few ideas rolling around in my head.

Anyway, flavour is a small part of card design, and the Typing/Attribute is a small part of flavour! Let's get past my inhibitions and talk about the actual cards themselves!

While there are the aforementioned dislikes, I really love the names when combined with the art. It's very creative, and better than just throwing in God or Divine every now and then. To be honest, I would've seen DIVINE as a ritual archetype, but if you want an Extra Deck, Fusion is definitely the way to go. Considering we have Elementsaber, the gimmick isn't that interesting, but considering the new ground in the form of DIVINE here, it's unique enough.

[spoiler=Main Deck]Petram stands out as the worst of the monsters, if I'm quite honest. Ventus, despite its low stats, does negate monster effects, the main part of Yu-Gi-Oh, and all the rest are very supportive in one aspect or another. Perhaps Lux could also be argued as the worst, as it doesn't do anything unless you have a clear field and Umbra is so much easier to get out, but the Poly effect is rarely not useful. To be honest, there should be another way of getting Lux out as well, though. Also, why doesn't Umbra have HOPT ;-;

I'm not sure whether the versatility of their gimmick effect is too much, as while removing the targeting aspect would make Attribute-based matchups much more luck-based...that's what searchers are for. It just seems to be a one effect fits all type of thing. Besides, the ED bosses can change Attributes at will themselves, so your monsters don't really need to do the reverse.

[spoiler=Extra Deck]Speaking of the Extra Deck, like the main deck, it is pretty solid. The gimmicky effect screams of the V.F.D effect, as it's the sort of thing you'd just activate at the Draw/Standby Phase to mess-up your opponent's plays; there's not really any reason not to. If it said currently controls there might be a little bit of strategy in there, but for now is another S0. Jove's last effect is a bit worrying, as it doesn't target, doesn't have a cost, and is almost always active. It reminds me of that EARTH Elemental Lord; just crying out for abuse. You have the potential loop covered by HOPT on Umbra's summoning condition, but still, targeting is the least you can do. Neptunus strikes me as the weakest here, as Ceres acts as a better wall and 1k LP isn't much at all. Probably wouldn't even both running it.

Sol's OCG is a little off (HOPT clause in brackets, During your Main Phase in the actual effect) but I'm more concerned with the fact that, combined with Lux, this card can just serve as a ladder; Lux eff, Fusion Summon this, get an Extra Normal Summon, Fusion Summon into any boss of your choice. There's no reason for it be a Quick Effect either save for OTKs, as, like V.F.D....there's no clever strategy matchups here. You're not trying to find the monster to best counter your opponent's monsters, save in effect; you're just blanket protecting your bad boy. Also, another side note, Sol and Pluto are unaffected by their Fusion Summon and ATK gain effects respectively if they've done the Attribute change. Might've been a pretty cool means of adding thought into your plays, as the field Attribute playing could disrupt your own monsters, but as it only is an issue on two monsters, and even then only on one effect each, it seems more like an oversight.

Can't decide which of your Level 12s is better, and for that, I like them. Both have their uses, mostly for OTKs, but the nerfs here and there bring them both down a similar power level. Nothing else really to say there.

[spoiler=Spells]Origin's special quirk is...if using it for its intended purpose, you get a monster from your Deck! Call me silly, but considering that literally every time you use it in this archetype, you're using a material in your Deck, I think it's broken. Second effect isn't so overpowered, and a pretty neat thing to use both in this Deck, and in Egyptian Gods.dek. Thanks BelongingsAncient just makes me think of Horathky combos lol, but the combo here is just Summoning Umbra every time and using it to Summon another monster due to its lack of HOPT. Firmament isn't a +1, so I guess that's something, but just having it do the same thing for a different card for its alternate effect just gives the impression of a one-card-fits-all type thing. Why do this card and Aqua both add from your banished Spell Cards? I could understand a little if only one of them did it, but considering your only Spell searchers grab from either...it's just utter freedom as to what to grab. Did I mention it can grab itself? You can't hope to outlast this archetype. It could be argued that Role is the reason your ED monsters aren't just blanket Attribute changing, but that would require running Role in the first place. It maxes out at a 700 ATK boost, the Attribute changing has a very niche use considering the current versatility of the monsters, and the last effect is only good if you have the searcher in the GY, as you want to keep the other Spells in your GY to banish. A draw cannot replace that.

Too powerful at many points, with one or two rather meh cards, and because I'm not going to mention my inhibitions again, I otherwise love the theming. Of course, that's mostly from the art, names, and bonus effects, as the gimmick wears thing very quickly, even more so than Elementsabers, but it's certainly not even close to being a bad set as whole. Not quite sure it even fits the thematics of the Typing/Attribute you have chosen, ALTHOUGH using DIVINE as a "default" Attribute is a rather intriguing mechanic that almost justifies it completely. At the very least, I can thank you for perhaps opening my mind as well to at least considering designing in this area ^^

/rant

Archived