Daigusto Naiadspecter (If Nautinal Netdecks Be Something You Wish...)

Black D'Sceptyr

NAI-AD-SPEC-TER

THEN DROP DOWN THIS LINK AND FLIP UP A BISH

NAI-AD-SPEC-TER (OOOOOH)

daigusto.png

[spoiler=Daigusto Naiadspecter: Info]

WIND/Psychic-Type Link Effect Monster/Link Rating - 2/2000 ATK

Lore: 2 Level 4 monsters

(Quick Effect): You can banish 2 monsters from your GY, except LIGHT or DARK monsters, then shuffle 1 Level 4 monster from your GY into the Deck; Normal Summon/Set 1 monster from your hand with the same Type and Attribute as that returned monster, as an additional Normal Summon/Set. You can target 1 banished monster, then target 1 Set monster in a zone this card points to; return the first target to the GY, then change the second target to face-up Defense Position. You can only use each effect of "Daigusto Naiadspecter" once per turn.

I'd have placed the card in 3 more times for the memery, but yeah, only so long I'll go on mauling a song for the giggles.

So yeah, most Decks that have them some issues with flip searchers (coughGeargiascoughShaddollscough) now have them a shiny new way to get to those monsters and their abilities faster! And best yet, this card actually helps along the parent Archetypes it reps for, unlike the other Gishki/Gusto Extra Deck monster I could mention....

Think the ATK may be a tad high for something that does this much but yeah, come on, Knightmare Goblin and Seraphinite have gone far further and enabled far worse than a Level 4 demanding GY-clearer. 

So there, I suppose.

Until next time, reviews, revelry, you know the drill. 

BDS, signing off.

53a.gif

Hello, YCM's leading and perhaps only Gusto expert reporting in. I'm here to review your card. I'm afraid I'll have to be perfectly blunt with you: This is borderline useless in Gusto by simple nature of how it works. Because it requires a specific Level of monster (4 in this case, which I'll get around to in a second because this also is significant), Gusto will have a hard time summoning it at all, because as a general rule, you won't have two monsters with the same Level on the field unless you're about to summon Daigusto Sphreez and probably win the game. At which point, you'd rather just summon Sphreez. However, the materials having to be Level 4 in this case is an even greater detriment to Naiadspecter's viability in Gusto, as there are a whopping four Level 4 monsters in the entire archetype.

1. Musto, Oracle of Gusto
  2. Gusto Thunbolt
  3. Caam, Serenity of Gusto
  4. Daigusto Falcos

Out of those four monsters, Falcos is a Synchro monster, and not a very good one at that. As such, you won't be summoning him just to ladder into Naiadspecter. Musto and Thunbolt have their uses in theory, but in practice they aren't all that great, let alone in a deck that hasn't aged particularly well over the last few years. Caam is the only Level 4 Gusto monster you could justify running in the current state of the game, and even then, it's pretty iffy. So, 95% of the time, you won't be summoning this card to begin with. This is also a problem that Daigusto Emeral suffers from. If there was no Level requirement, or even if the required Level was 3, that would be a much different story.

The flip effect is neat in theory. You can use it to set and then instantly activate the effect of Kamui, Hope of Gusto... but tragically, that's the only real use it has in this archetype. Kamui's flip effect not being something that you would want to use offensively makes this a bit of a hindrance, but I like that interaction regardless, even if it's highly suboptimal. Also, it can be used to return cards that get banished by the effect of Daigusto Eguls, if you're running that for some inexplicable reason. (Seriously, Eguls is awful.)

However, there is one effect in particular that I really like about this card. The Normal Summon effect. I will reiterate my case about Level 4 monsters, but setting that aside, this is actually really good for Gusto, as a common issue is needing a second Normal Summon when other options that could give you one (i.e. Double Summon) just aren't worth it. This effect in particular really tickles my fancy, because Gusto will invariably load up the graveyard with both Psychic and Winged Beast monsters, effectively making this a themed Double Summon. Which is great! It makes the SphreezTK much easier, not to mention that because it has a downward-facing zone, you'll still be able to summon Sphreez after Naiadspecter hits the field.

I'd also like to briefly go over the difference between this card and Merrowgeist which you mentioned, as well as Emeral, from a flavor perspective. Merrowgeist's effect allows it to shuffle a card it destroys by battle into the Deck. With "return from the GY" effects fairly common in Gishki, as well as Gusto largely having effects that shuffle cards into the Deck (albeit their own in this case), this effect - while not that great on a 2100 body in this day and age - fits the flavor for both Gishki and Gusto. Emeral, on the other hand, has an effect inspired by Gusto (specifically Caam's effect), and one inspired by Gem-Knights (Obsidian in particular). In this respect, Naiadspecter is way off-kilter, as its first effect - while great - doesn't really fit the flavor for either archetype. Its second effect, meanwhile, seems more like it would at home on a Shaddoll card. It's rather bizarre!

Overall, this card has potential to do great things for Gusto, but in its current state, it would never be used in the archetype it actually belongs to. Even Shaddoll won't get much mileage out it, because their Level 4 monsters seldom hit the field and stay on it long enough to summon this.

Gusto Expert's Rating: 5/10, needs work

Closing note: Keep in mind I wrote this review entirely based on its performance in Gusto, as it is in fact a Gusto card. How it will perform in other archetypes would have to be judged by those who use those archetypes.

so this card is actually daigusto emeral 2: the emeral-ing and that's funking amazing because emeral was always garbage in gusto but funking amazing everywhere else. it's NTR almost as bad as brifu being okay in gemknights but gets passed around every deck in the game like the town whore.

anyway card is fuckin unplayable in Sphreeze and all other Gusto build does precisely nothing, but the best funking part is that it's actually kinda good in EARTH. you can use it to banish a ded gigantes and normal summon B L O C C D R A G O N which is actually so next level it's garbage but funny. otherwise it's generically useful as a combo extender in a lot of link spam but being restricted to lv4 only makes things a lot more awkward with it, but you CAN clownblade it. 

that said it's a good fuckin thing ratpier's and the zoo engine is ded ded ded otherwise this card would actually be hilarious 

uhhh yeah basically i see it as being a good generic rank 2 to make in EARTH because it is better than the do-nothing missus

you can go uh

scorpio -> cobra -> pitch rex -> brifu -> invoker -> thousand blades -> missus -> brifu -> trigger clownblade -> extra normal -> curious -> ditch wulf -> naiad -> banish rex -> another extra normal -> borreload/firewall/skulldeat -> extend from there

and it only needs like what

scorpio rex?

However, there is one effect in particular that I really like about this card. The Normal Summon effect. I will reiterate my case about Level 4 monsters, but setting that aside, this is actually really good for Gusto, as a common issue is needing a second Normal Summon when other options that could give you one (i.e. Double Summon) just aren't worth it. This effect in particular really tickles my fancy, because Gusto will invariably load up the graveyard with both Psychic and Winged Beast monsters, effectively making this a themed Double Summon. Which is great! It makes the SphreezTK much easier, not to mention that because it has a downward-facing zone, you'll still be able to summon Sphreez after Naiadspecter hits the field.

I'd also like to briefly go over the difference between this card and Merrowgeist which you mentioned, as well as Emeral, from a flavor perspective. Merrowgeist's effect allows it to shuffle a card it destroys by battle into the Deck. With "return from the GY" effects fairly common in Gishki, as well as Gusto largely having effects that shuffle cards into the Deck (albeit their own in this case), this effect - while not that great on a 2100 body in this day and age - fits the flavor for both Gishki and Gusto. Emeral, on the other hand, has an effect inspired by Gusto (specifically Caam's effect), and one inspired by Gem-Knights (Obsidian in particular). In this respect, Naiadspecter is way off-kilter, as its first effect - while great - doesn't really fit the flavor for either archetype. Its second effect, meanwhile, seems more like it would at home on a Shaddoll card. It's rather bizarre!

Overall, this card has potential to do great things for Gusto, but in its current state, it would never be used in the archetype it actually belongs to. Even Shaddoll won't get much mileage out it, because their Level 4 monsters seldom hit the field and stay on it long enough to summon this.

Gusto Expert's Rating: 5/10, needs work

Closing note: Keep in mind I wrote this review entirely based on its performance in Gusto, as it is in fact a Gusto card. How it will perform in other archetypes would have to be judged by those who use those archetypes.

I'm honored, actually, to have my work critiqued by such an amazing user of such a promising Archetype. Thank you, genuinely. 

I do admit the disparity with the archetype is something I wish I could have handled better. In fact, I may yet grant you your wish today in terms of proper Gusto support. But for this, right now, the main focus was on giving extra Normal Summons in a way that, unlike Seraphinite and Goblin, did so without being so outright generic in its use that it'd be abused in any Deck that'd have it. 

I still think I failed at completely averting that goal. But I'd love to talk at length with you about the lore that led to this card being the way it is-something I usually don't go into on YCM because I don't want to detract from the card being talked about as a card and less a storytelling device.

See, during my research into what made Merrowgeist, I realized that it was actually made from two specific monsters, apparently-the Gishki Emilia and Musto, Oracle of Gusto. Each worked on separate physics, so I felt the sky was the limit on a similar counterpart in the Link pond. Mine-Naiadspecter-actually came from the inspiration of two other cards as well-the Gishki Natalia and Caam, Serenity of Gusto (hence the Level 4 requirement, to more represent the workability between the clans, especially considering their disparate Levels-most of Giskhi's Main Deck roster's being either Level 2 or 4.)

Caam worked on removing 2 monsters in the GY for a benefit, so I had that as the cost and reward of the first effect, though it gave different advantages and disadvantages, while Natalia allowed for partial recovery of the loss to potentially bring benefit in an exclusive way to both Gusto and Giskhi FLIP tutors-Ariel and Kamui. It, again, was an oversight in terms of what the Gusto Deck actually needed.

But I was trying to be too overly cautious with this card-again, we've had four Extra Deck Duel-Terminal-specific Xyzes banned because of them being overly generic - one being the Daigusto card you talked of earlier, Emeral, as well as the Lavalval Chain, Exciton Knight and Tellarknight Tolemeaus. Basically, bad things tend to happen when the effects go too generic in Duel Terminal Xyzes (coughZoodiacscough) so I'm trying to take a different tack in Links. That was my error, one I resolve to address in this and future Gusto installments. 

Perhaps we could confer on my third Gusto card-the Field Spell I have planned for them? I'm going to start up on the Synchro-one that actually focuses on Reeze/Sphreez not actually getting a mount for their Synchro, and what I'm gonna do to resolve that.

Until next time, fellow Duel Terminal traveler!

Archived