[CP18] Number 75: Gossip Shadow of Confusion

DbDn_apVAAEJJoS.jpg?zoom=1.5625&resize=3

Number 75: Gossip Shadow of Confusion

Level 3 WIND

Spellcaster/Xyz/Effect

2+ Level 3 monsters

You can only use the (2)nd effect of this card’s name once per turn.

(1) Once per turn, when an opponent’s monster activates an effect: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card. That effect becomes “Both players draw 1 card.”.

(2) Target 1 “Number” Xyz Monster you control, except this card; attach this card to that monster as an Xyz Material, along with any Xyz Materials attached to this card.

ATK/1000 DEF/2600

So this is an interesting support card for numbers as it can attach itself to other numbers plus alter effects to make both players draw a card.

Is the first effect a Quick Effect?
I presume so, because that becomes pretty powerful, especially if you manage to load up on Xyz Materials.

Sadly, in this day and age of Master Rule 4, that second effect isn't all that great, since you have to have another Number, but I can see it potentially being run in, say, Phantom Knights to replenish an S39 for more attacks.

The most obvious use that comes to mind would be "equip to Number 86".

Beyond that this card sounds like a silly idea for B.A./P.K., which can get out 2 level 4 warriors and spamm level 3 monsters.

Then again Burning Abyss Farfa + the Stardust Spell that can cheat out Sifr with its effects negated is such an idea and I have yet to see anyone do that (even as a joke).

so after this card the only numbers left to reveal are...

"26", "27", "60", "67", "76", and "97" and then we got all 100 while all that's left is for numbers 1 to 4 to be made in some form either through fake Numbers or the Real Numbers being the Numeron Gate Xyz's.

Technically we also have C1000 and CI1000 to wait for, but I wouldn't count on those getting released as real cards

also, will konami print more chaos numbers / xyz? It would be neat to see what konami would do with upgrading cards like these

we need consistent if not better Rank-Up spell

2nd effect as mention is butcherd by MR4 while its first effect... im not sure why i want it. sure you can stop certain dangerous effects while bypassing anything without "unaffected" clause but the fact it need 2 detach and your opponent get the draw irks me i think it should either 1 of those drawbacks in the first place. also why this level  is beyond me...not all numbers is R4NK but at least the pool is better

Honestly, the first effect feels solid to me. Yeah, it gives your opponent a card, but it does the same for you, while also depriving them of an effect.

Issue is that it competes for spots with Breaksword and, in some decks, Leviair, both of which are incredible.

true, but this has negation though, making it more like totem bird than anything. Negates monster effects instead of spells and traps and requires detaching 2 materials for it's effect just like totem bird. Having 2600 defense is a strong defensive move, like dante, especially going first and it allows both players to draw if you negate. You could potentially make it with 4 materials allowing you to negate 2 monster effects, but then your opponent might just pull a kaiju on it

true, but this has negation though, making it more like totem bird than anything. Negates monster effects instead of spells and traps and requires detaching 2 materials for it's effect just like totem bird. Having 2600 defense is a strong defensive move, like dante, especially going first and it allows both players to draw if you negate. You could potentially make it with 4 materials allowing you to negate 2 monster effects, but then your opponent might just pull a kaiju on it

while it's true that it fills a different role than the cards I named, that doesn't mean they aren't competing. Xyz is the weakest ED mechanic, and considering how much space the other mechanics end up using in the ED, you are rarely afforded room for more than 1-2 xyz.

Additionally, even if you summon it with 4 materials, effect 1 has a soft OPT clause, so you only could change 1 effect. You could summon multiples of this, but then you have to deal with setting up linked zones, and the effort is far greater than the benefit.

As a final note, if paired with Droll & Lock Bird, this effectively would just negate the opponent's effect. Nothing incredible, but worth noting, I figure.

while it's true that it fills a different role than the cards I named, that doesn't mean they aren't competing. Xyz is the weakest ED mechanic, and considering how much space the other mechanics end up using in the ED, you are rarely afforded room for more than 1-2 xyz.

Additionally, even if you summon it with 4 materials, effect 1 has a soft OPT clause, so you only could change 1 effect. You could summon multiples of this, but then you have to deal with setting up linked zones, and the effort is far greater than the benefit.

As a final note, if paired with Droll & Lock Bird, this effectively would just negate the opponent's effect. Nothing incredible, but worth noting, I figure.

Specifically talking about how Xyz is the weakest Extra Deck type-Synchros were the worst as well, considering the needed resources to Accel Synchro, its main breakout gimmick-then Needlefiber came out.

And Pendulums literally had extra rules slapped upon it to hold down its degenerate recovery rates, but two Pendulum Decks are still among the top tiers in OCG thanks to Electrumite. 

So Xyzes being the hard-to-impose Extra Deck Type may as well have an asterisk next to it saying-"accurate until the release of Zoodiac Link you know that Konami's got planned"

Now to this Gossip Shadow.

Yeah, this is lamost screaming "play me in Majespecters", especially with their original quick-play handler of monsters banned now. Use this to nullify an opponent's monster effec,t then Tribute the body with a Specter Spell/Trap to further disrupt the opponent. And you got a draw. So did they, but if you made the right plays in disrupting, that's next turn's problem. Unless its Ghost Girl McFivehead. 

Speaking of which, the Majespecters are suprisingly resilient to most of the handtraps around these days, especially the Ghost Girls-most of the backrow is usually enacted in reaction to the opponent's plays...probably already know what to expect of the monster lineup, and now that Majespecters Cat and Raccoon have something Archetype locked to go into besides Mist Bird, which becomes the south end of useless without its materials....

WAIT

Thanks to the Electrumite, I'm certain both can be done now-Gossip Shadow to negate monster effects, Mist Bird to negate the Spells/Traps, and a Maje Spell/Trap in backrow to pop what's left by Tributing Gossip!

In short: yeah, deffo useful in the WIND Spellcaster Deck that definites its Attibute and Typing.

Archived