[AGM/Written] Blue Lightning: Counter placement, destruction and discards! (16/16)

Dova

Time for another AGM archetype! I really need to do one of my own soon...

[spoiler=Prompt]

Blue Lightning

Fittingly, a Thunder archetype that loves its Ritual Summon. While their stats aren't much to write home about, they carry potent destruction/forced discard effects, most of which trigger on-Summon and can be used once per turn afterward. What makes them special among Ritual archetypes is support similar to Ancient Gear: When any monster is destroyed, they get to put Counters on their Continuous and Field Spells (usually no more than the destroyed monster's Level) that can be eaten up in place of your monsters. While they don't recycle (lightning doesn't strike twice, after all), their destruction effects are non-targeting, and sometimes negate effects in the process. If you start getting desperate, their Traps let you banish Blue Lightning cards from your Graveyard, really cutting you off even further, in order to get some last-ditch desperation nuking going on. They don't have an Extra Deck, unless you count a sprinkle of Main Deck Pendulums to get recurring Ritual Tribute fodder.

[spoiler=Design Notes]Fun fact, I had this written down as Blue Thunder in my CC notes, so I only realized my mistake when I looked for the original archetype prompt in post here. So then I had to go through and change all references from Blue Thunder to Blue Lightning; what fun. Ah well, probably didn't take any longer to do than all that formatting I did.

As I worked through this archetype, I realized how connected it was to Xage and Murine. Then I realized I was only making this connection for the design notes to sound cool, and this was basically just taking the non-recycling/Rituals of Murine and the counters of Xage; mechanics currently unique to those archetypes and not present anywhere in the whole of Yu-Gi-Oh. Of course, this non-recycling was a lot less cohesive than that of Murine, acting as fuel rather than forming the engine of the archetype. It was tricky, keeping the archetype fast with Deck Summoning but not absurdly so, but I think I managed it. I kept GY play to a minimum to leave to the two Traps, but I think Static is slow enough to not steal the Traps' thunder (hooray for puns xd).

I decided on making big cards to make up for the weakness of Murine. The high Levels were just an excuse to make high stats, as the prompt specified a lack thereof, and I felt like making a more visibly powerful set. Decided also to have a Level 11 in the form of Overlord, as we only have 1 other Level 11 Ritual, and make it a super powerful boss as the apex of the storm. Of course, I also had Ryukii planned, and with the Quick-Play Ritual it might be an issue, but since the Quick-Play doesn't Tribute, it wasn't hard to keep Ryukii relatively fair when in tandem with said boss. Also wanted to be a little more creative with the main effects, considering how copy and paste they are from each other, so that's why you see these weird gimmicks every now and then.

In regards to flavour, I admit I pulled the names out of my ass. For the Pendulums I thought it would be a neat touch to reference good ol' Sanga of the Thunder and how he stands out among the rest of the parts of Gate Guardian, so at least those names are somewhat realistic. Stats are low, Levels are variable (with no Level 2 as a self-jab at the fact that I didn't make a Level 2 Ritual RIP) and the Attributes were just chosen as some of the more unused Attribute combos with Thunder, it being a rather underused Type. Didn't want to go too crazy in that regard, so kept DARK away from it and had some sort of idea of monsters on the earth Summoning LIGHT ethereal bosses with the power of electricity. Pure poetry.

[spoiler=Monsters: (4)]Ryukii of the Blue Lightning
WATER - ✪ - Thunder/Effect - 100/0
When you Ritual Summon a Thunder monster by Tributing a monster(s), this card can be treated as the entire Tribute. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 6 Lightning Counters on it.

Tsuyi of the Blue Lightning
WIND - ✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Effect - 1500/0

(Quick Effect): You can destroy 1 face-up monster you control, and if you do, Special Summon 1 “Blue Lightning” monster from your Deck. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 3 Lightning Counters on it.

Hyiji of the Blue Lightning
WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Effect - 1600/1900

You can remove 2 Lightning Counters from among cards you control to Normal Summon this card without Tributing. Once per turn OR when this card is Normal Summoned: Target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects, then add 1 Ritual Spell Card or Ritual Monster from your Deck to your hand. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 4 Lightning Counters on it.

Reija of the Blue Lightning
EARTH - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Effect - 2300/2400

During your Main Phase: You can target 1 face-up “Blue Lightning” card you control; remove 3 Lightning Counters from among cards you control, and if you do, destroy that target, then Special Summon this card from your hand. Once per turn OR when this card is Normal Summoned: Target 1 face-up card your opponent controls; negate its effects, and if you do, destroy it. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 6 Lightning Counters on it.

[spoiler=Pendulum Monsters: (2)]Kazejin of the Blue Lightning
FIRE - ✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Pendulum/Effect - 2100/1100 - /8>
If you Special Summon a “Blue Lightning” monster(s), place 1 Lightning Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove any number of Lightning Counters from this card; add 1 Thunder monster from your Deck to your hand, with a Level equal to the number of Lightning Counters removed.
Once per turn OR when this card is Normal Summoned: You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 5 Lightning Counters on it.

Suijin of the Blue Lightning
FIRE - ✪✪✪ - Thunder/Pendulum/Effect - 700/1100 - /1>

If you activate another a “Blue Lightning” Spell/Trap Card, place 1 Lightning Counter on this card when that card resolves. Once per turn: You can remove any number of Lightning Counters from this card; immediately after this effect resolves, Normal Summon 1 Thunder monster from your hand with a Level equal to or less than the number of Counters removed.
Once per turn: You can target 1 other card you control; destroy it, and if you do, your opponent discards 1 card. When this card is destroyed: Target 1 face-up “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; place 2 Lightning Counters on it.

[spoiler=Ritual Monsters/Spells: (5)]Blue Lightning Manifestation
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Ritual/Effect - 2100/1900
You can Ritual Summon this card with "Blue Lightning Induction". Once per turn OR if this card is Ritual Summoned: Your opponent discards 1 random card. “Blue Thunder” monsters you control gain 800 ATK and DEF. When this card is sent from the field to the GY: Target 1 “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; Special Summon 1 “Blue Lightning” monster from your Deck, then place Lightning Counters on that target equal to the difference in Level between the Special Summoned monster and this card (if any). You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Blue Lightning Demon
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Ritual/Effect - 2600/2300

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Blue Lightning Induction". If this card is Special Summoned: Negate the effects of all face-up cards your opponent controls. Once per turn: You can target 1 other card you control and 1 card your opponent controls; destroy both targets. When this card is sent from the field to the GY: Target 1 “Blue Lightning” Spell Card you control; Special Summon 1 “Blue Lightning” monster from your Deck, then place Lightning Counters on that target equal to the difference in Level between the Special Summoned monster and this card (if any). You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Blue Lightning Overlord
LIGHT - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Thunder/Ritual/Effect - 2900/2800

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Blue Lightning Induction". When this card is Ritual Summoned: All face-up cards your opponent controls this turn have their effects negated. Cannot be Tributed by your opponent. If this card would be destroyed by battle, you can banish 1 Thunder monster from your GY instead. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can destroy 1 card your opponent controls. 

Blue Lightning Induction
Ritual Spell

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Blue Lightning” Ritual Monster. Tribute monsters from your hand or field, and/or remove Lightning Counters from cards you control, then Ritual Summon 1 “Blue Thunder” Ritual Monster from your hand whose Level is equal to or less than the total Levels of those monsters and/or the number of Counters removed. When a “Blue Thunder” monster(s) you control is targeted by an opponent’s card effect: Banish this card from your GY; negate that effect.

Blue Lightning Overload
Quick-Play Spell

This card can be used to Ritual Summon any “Blue Lightning” Ritual Monster. Destroy monsters from your hand OR remove Lightning Counters from cards you control, then Ritual Summon 1 “Blue Lightning” Ritual Monster from your hand whose Level is equal to or less than the total Levels of those monsters OR the number of Counters removed.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps: (5)]Blue Lightning Rising
Field Spell
Your opponent cannot activate cards or effects in response to your Ritual Monsters’ effect activations. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up card you control with 3 or more Lightning Counters on it; remove all Lightning Counters from that target except 1, and if you do, add 1 “Blue Lightning” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Blue Lightning Rising”. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Lightning Counter from it instead.

Blue Lightning Tesla Coil
Continuous Spell

Once per turn, if a “Blue Lightning” monster(s) you control would leave the field because of an opponent’s card effect OR would be Tributed, you can destroy them instead. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Lightning Counter from it instead.

Blue Lightning Static Charger
Continuous Spell

Once per turn: You can banish 1 “Blue Lightning” card from your GY; place 1 Lightning Counter on this card. Once per turn: You can remove 3 Lightning Counters from this card; your opponent discard 1 card. If this card would be destroyed, you can remove 1 Lightning Counter from it instead. You can only control 1 face-up “Blue Lightning Static Charger”.

Blue Lightning Paralyzer
Normal Trap

Banish 1 Thunder monster from your GY; negate the effects of 1 face-up card your opponent controls. You can remove 3 Lightning Counters from your field to activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 “Blue Lightning Paralyzer” per turn.

Blue Lightning Cataclysm
Normal Trap

Banish any number of “Blue Lightning” cards from your GY; destroy monsters your opponent controls up to the number of monsters banished. You can remove 4 Lightning Counters from your field to activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 “Blue Lightning Cataclysm” per turn.

CnC would be appreciated! ^^

Archived