Dirge of Daigusto (I Believe I Promised Yui Improved Gusto Support)

Black D'Sceptyr

...AND WHAT BD'S PROMISES, BD'S DELIVERS

dirge_of_daigusto_by_bdsceptyr-dc9baxd.p

[spoiler=Dirge of Daigusto: Info]

Field Spell Card

Lore: Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 WIND Psychic monster from your hand. Once per turn, if 3 or more WIND monsters were sent to your GY this turn: You can Set 1 "Gusto" Normal Spell/Trap from your Deck. That Set card can be activated this turn. If a WIND monster(s) you control is destroyed by battle or card effect while you control a WIND Synchro Monster, your opponent takes 1000 damage.

And really, considering the tragedy that befell this WIND-related tribe-there's a reason I called this card DIRGE of Daigusto, folks-nothing's too good for them now. Don't sit idle on this new card either folks, because I'm gonna drop a Synchro and a new searcher Spell by tomorrow too. 

We're gonna make sure Gustos get a proper send-off. 

Until next time, fellas-reviews, revelry, you know the drill.

BDS, signing off.

tumblr_n7rn4t1C4O1trzl0xo2_400.gif
Hello there, hi. Gusto expert Yui reporting in a second time, and I've even been called out by name today. I was promised better Gusto support, and you actually almost held up your word. Almost. Unlike last time, I'll be covering this one effect at a time to try and make this review a bit shorter. I'll start by addressing the elephant in the room.

Each turn, the first time each Set monster or "Gusto" monster you control would be destroyed by an opponent's Special Summoned monster (by battle or card effect), it is not destroyed.

This effect. I can understand the logic of "Gusto likes to play defensively and build up the GY", but there's a very distinct point - once you summon Sphreez while your opponent controls a monster with 2800 or more ATK (or less depending on the circumstances) - where you actually need your monsters to be destroyed to make the SphreezTK happen so you can win the game. By playing this field spell, you essentially deny yourself your ability to win the game unless you're trying for some other weird wincon like decking out the other guy.

Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 WIND Psychic monster from your hand.

This, on the other hand, is super-super good. Remember what I said about how Naiadspecter helped enable the SphreezTK by giving you an extra Normal Summon? This is that, but simpler, with the tradeoff that the field spell itself actually denies your ability to SphreezTK at all because of the destruction protection. Now, if you were to have some means of destroying the field spell, that would be a different story. Also you can use it in Ritual Beasts. So that's neat.

Once per turn, during the end of Main Phase 1, if 3 or more WIND monsters were sent to your GY this turn: You can Set 1 "Gusto" Normal Spell/Trap from your Deck. That Set card can be activated this turn.

Now this I thought was really good at a glance, until I noticed it said "the end of Main Phase 1" rather than "the End Phase" or something to that effect. It would be a handy and reliable means of searching the helpful "Gusto" backrow cards, but during MP1, you generally will only be sending 3 WIND monsters to the GY if you discard Gusto Griffin and use the monster it summons as a synchro material (presumably for Sphreez). Now granted, you can use this to search Blessings for Gusto then activate it that turn, making the SphreezTK much easier (I believe one Blessings lowers the kill threshold to 1900?), but that again assumes you're either discarding Griffin for a search or otherwise sending a third monster to the GY before the Battle Phase, as well as assuming that you get this field spell off the field because it cockblocks your SphreezTK.

Gusto Expert's Rating: 3/10, can't win if you put this in the only viable gusto build unless you use what little backrow removal you can have to get rid of it

I'm getting the feeling you either haven't played Gusto, or your decklist is really weird and/or bad.

tumblr_n7rn4t1C4O1trzl0xo2_400.gif

Hello there, hi. Gusto expert Yui reporting in a second time, and I've even been called out by name today. I was promised better Gusto support, and you actually almost held up your word. Almost. Unlike last time, I'll be covering this one effect at a time to try and make this review a bit shorter. I'll start by addressing the elephant in the room.

This effect. I can understand the logic of "Gusto likes to play defensively and build up the GY", but there's a very distinct point - once you summon Sphreez while your opponent controls a monster with 2800 or more ATK (or less depending on the circumstances) - where you actually need your monsters to be destroyed to make the SphreezTK happen so you can win the game. By playing this field spell, you essentially deny yourself your ability to win the game unless you're trying for some other weird wincon like decking out the other guy.

This, on the other hand, is super-super good. Remember what I said about how Naiadspecter helped enable the SphreezTK by giving you an extra Normal Summon? This is that, but simpler, with the tradeoff that the field spell itself actually denies your ability to SphreezTK at all because of the destruction protection. Now, if you were to have some means of destroying the field spell, that would be a different story. Also you can use it in Ritual Beasts. So that's neat.

Now this I thought was really good at a glance, until I noticed it said "the end of Main Phase 1" rather than "the End Phase" or something to that effect. It would be a handy and reliable means of searching the helpful "Gusto" backrow cards, but during MP1, you generally will only be sending 3 WIND monsters to the GY if you discard Gusto Griffin and use the monster it summons as a synchro material (presumably for Sphreez). Now granted, you can use this to search Blessings for Gusto then activate it that turn, making the SphreezTK much easier (I believe one Blessings lowers the kill threshold to 1900?), but that again assumes you're either discarding Griffin for a search or otherwise sending a third monster to the GY before the Battle Phase, as well as assuming that you get this field spell off the field because it cockblocks your SphreezTK.

Gusto Expert's Rating: 3/10, can't win if you put this in the only viable gusto build unless you use what little backrow removal you can have to get rid of it

I'm getting the feeling you either haven't played Gusto, or your decklist is really weird and/or bad.

What I haven't played is the SpreezeTK, and I'm not really a big fan of making consistent OTKs. That way lies Amaryllis and Lapis Lazuli.

That being said-I'm not wholly alien to Gusto-in fact, I found a usable blend of it with the True King Mariamne, thanks to Griffin's suprising interaction with its ability and Diagram's searching. I honestly did not know about the SphreezeTK thing-and now that I do know, I'm not too sure if that should be something I promote in the uber-searchable Field Spell.

But I'm going to do right by Gustos, so....look upon the card now.

Archived