What, a Counter Trap? Yes, that is indeed quite rare, since they are typically limited in what you can do with them I find, I rarely make them, and that it's not super common to play them these days, but I had an idea for a card that punishes boss monsters, aka Level/Rank 7 and higher and Link-4 and higher monster. As with many Counter Traps, it negates the effect and destroys the monster, but it also blows up all other monsters they control with a lower Level/Rank or Link Rating than that monster, so it can really punish things hard. It also deals damage to both players based on the number destroyed, so it can be a great burn card as well. Lastly, you get to Set it back again if you took 2000 or more damage, and if you control no monsters, you can activate the card again that turn. This can be helpful in case your opponent plays something like D/D/D where they play with various kinds of monsters, or any Deck that relies on Link Monsters by destroying their Link Monster they use to build their field and then their main monsters. The one downside is of course not having any monsters to use this against, so I recommend it as a Side Deck card in most cases.

solar_explosion_by_zaziuma-dc9w2lq.jpg

When your opponent activates the effect of a Level/Rank 7 or higher or Link-4 or higher monster: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that monster and all monsters your opponent controls whose Level, Rank or Link Rating is less than or equal to that monster, then both players take damage equal to the number of cards destroyed x 1000, also, after that, if you took 2000 or more damage, you can Set this card instead of sending it to the GY, and if you control no monsters, you can activate this Set card this turn.

So this basically a mirror force with some ring of fire effect. I think should get rid of taking damage 2000 or more to set this card again. How about you can set this card from your graveyard during your next battle phase, and this time this card can activate (on same turn it’s set) in response to any level/rank/link monster effect, and you take no damage from its effect, only your opponent does. Then this card is then banished from field.

This just gave me idea for cool trap card, “When your opponent declares an attack with a rank/level 7 or higher, negate the attack and end your opponents turn, after this card is activated and in your Graveyard; you can set it back to your field during end of your turn. It can be activated on same turn, and it’s new effect will be: When your opponent activates the effect of a monster: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy that monster and all monsters your opponent controls, then both players take damage equal to the number of cards destroyed x 500.”

This is interesting. A side-deck/meta call against decks with plenty of "high order" monsters, and a devastating one at that, but it is really worth to play this over more reliable Counter Traps like Solemn brigade or searchable archetype omn-Counters? I can't tell for sure. Still, card it's good, IMO. It has a role and can be an amusing tech with potent results.

Archived