Volcanic Eruption in Hawaii

jabber2033

Hopefully those over there get through this, but the damage will be massive (considering the lava also destroyed the roads too). Two homes are already gone, and more may be destroyed. That being said though, people are still trying to hold out in Leilani Estates (where this originated / getting the brunt force of the force). If you're still there, get the hell out while you can. Don't endanger yourselves and/or the first responders who'll have to get to you if they are still able to. 

If you try to fight the lava (and Pele*), then you're going to lose (and the cost will probably be loss of your property, if not your life b/c you cannot be rescued due to conditions). Keeping the culture / history lesson to a minimum, yeah, every time Kīlauea sends lava, it's commonly associated with her as the goddess of fire (and volcanoes). 

====

I don't remember the last time something of this scale happened; most recent major one was just the lava flow blocking off parts of the highway over there, but no one had to evacuate. This time, yeah, it's dangerous. 

====

Just for clarification, this is on Hawai'i Island (or Big Island) at the eastern end of the state. Those who live on the other islands are not affected. I'm on O'ahu 200+ miles to the west, so I'm not in the way of the lava flow or earthquakes. Same goes for Icy.

Just for clarification, this is on Hawai'i Island (or Big Island) at the eastern end of the state. Those who live on the other islands are not affected. I'm on O'ahu 200+ miles to the west, so I'm not in the way of the lava flow or earthquakes. Same goes for Icy.

Big difference though, is that where this is happening? It's where I grew up. I didn't technically graduate there either but I still consider it where I did.

There's talks of it becoming entirely uninhabitable with more and more fissures opening up and some spouts reaching 50ft or more. Acid rain and sulfur and everything. I'll admit due to the rampant drug use, I wanted the area to have a trial by fire. But this isn't scaring some drug users and neohippies on home, this is a bad thing and I am terrified. I might not be able to go home soon... ever.

OojrY.gif

Archived