Apex Lizard

First time putting together a card in the new card maker. For this one, I thought of making a card for the Reptile Type, as they don't get too much generic support. Last big one I remember is King of Feral Imps. So I thought about making them a generic support Link monster. Made its requirement Reptile so stuff like Alien, Worm, and even Venom can access it. Made its original ATK 0 so that even Reptilianne can access it as an option for Vaskii.

SY379zi.png

Link 2

WATER

Reptile/Link/Effect

Bottom

ATK:0

2 Reptile monsters

When this card is Link Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 Reptile monster from your Graveyard, but its ATK and DEF become 0. If you do, you cannot Special Summon other monsters for the rest of this turn, except Reptile monsters. You can only activate this effect of "Apex Lizard" once per turn. If this card battles an opponent's monster, it gains 500 ATK for each Reptile monster in your Graveyard during the Damage Step only.

Absolutely awful design.

It just makes any reptile a Link-2, at worst, with the ability to be a beater to remove big threats if you must. It's sheer reward.

Linkuriboh is already an insanely good card, and it doesn't even give you a plus, and this has similar viablity in laddering into Needlefiber. You can argue Brandish/Sky Striker/Sentouki, but those cards are really strong and archetypal, not for an entire type.

There's no excuse for a card that just gives you value for playing a single reptile. It doesn't even negate the effects of what it summons, prevent attacks... anything.

There's no way to improve it without overhauling it or slapping too many restrictions on it.

Absolutely awful design.

It just makes any reptile a Link-2, at worst, with the ability to be a beater to remove big threats if you must. It's sheer reward.

Linkuriboh is already an insanely good card, and it doesn't even give you a plus, and this has similar viablity in laddering into Needlefiber. You can argue Brandish/Sky Striker/Sentouki, but those cards are really strong and archetypal, not for an entire type.

There's no excuse for a card that just gives you value for playing a single reptile. It doesn't even negate the effects of what it summons, prevent attacks... anything.

There's no way to improve it without overhauling it or slapping too many restrictions on it.

Edit its effect by adding "but its ATK and DEF become 0 and its effects are negated.".

That was me pointing out that you didn't even bother to put a basic restriction on it. Needlefiber at least pretends to do something restricting itself.

It's still a shameless +1 with the ability to fairly easily +1 by battle, and that's ignoring the implications of reviving something other than the card used for it, which can go a long way.

The card is blatantly busted in design.

That was me pointing out that you didn't even bother to put a basic restriction on it. Needlefiber at least pretends to do something restricting itself.

It's still a shameless +1 with the ability to fairly easily +1 by battle, and that's ignoring the implications of reviving something other than the card used for it, which can go a long way.

The card is blatantly busted in design.

I just added the ATK boost so it wouldn't be as bare.

Kagetokage + Masked Chameleon

NS Chameleon
SS Kageto

SS Apex
Apex revive Chameleon

SS Needlefiber

Needlefiber SS O-Lion

SS Summon Sorc

Summon Token

Sorc target Kageto summon any random level 4 Reptile

Summon Feral Imps with Reptile + Kageto

Feral Imps add Jigabyte

SS Jigabyte

SS Firewall with Sorc + Token

Firewall target Kagetokage

Feral Imps + Jigabyte to make Troymare Goblin

Extra NS (any monster in hand) and Summon Kagetokage

Make another Feral Imps add another Jigabyte

SS Jigabyte

Feral Imps, Jigabyte, Firewall, Troymare Goblin and still 3 cards in hand, combo off however you like from here.

Any Alien in GY + Alien Ammonite + Mecha Hornet Bit

Activate Hornet Bit

NS Ammonite

SS Any Alien from GY

SS Apex Lizard
SS Ammonite

SS Needlefiber

SS O-Lion

SS Summon Sorc

O-Lion Summon Token

Summmon Sorc target your Alien, summon another one from deck with same level

SS Troymare Goblin (Alien + Token)

SS Firewall

Firewall target Ammonite

NS Ammonite SS any Alien

SS Feral Imps add any non-nomi Alien

SS Troymare Mermaid with Goblin

CL1 Mermaid CL2 Firewall

Mermaid SS Iblee, Firewall SS your non-nomi Alien

Ammonite, Firewall, Mermaid, Iblee, Feral Imps, Random Alien and 2 cards in hand to extend

Card's stupid and enables way too many free advantage. Really shouldn't be generic link-2s for a whole type.

I just added the ATK boost so it wouldn't be as bare.

That doesn't really cut it. I agree with Black on this one: straight +1 just for getting a Reptile on board is not good design, and it's hard to balance such effect without ending with something too heavily restricted. The best alternative I can think of is making it a Link2, so at least it breaks even with its effect in a vacuum, but then it can simply be used to ladder into a Link3.

That doesn't really cut it. I agree with Black on this one: straight +1 just for getting a Reptile on board is not good design, and it's hard to balance such effect without ending with something too heavily restricted. The best alternative I can think of is making it a Link2, so at least it breaks even with its effect in a vacuum, but then it can simply be used to ladder into a Link3.

I could do that. Plus it'd make more sense with the ATK increase.

Changed it once more. This time to Link 2 and replaced the effect negation with "If you do, you cannot Special Summon other monsters for the rest of this turn, except Reptile monsters".

Archived