[COMPARISON] Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder

8 members have voted

1. 1. Did we get screwed by the IRL release?

• Nah, the real effect's decent.
    • GIMME GIMME GIMME THAT ANIME EFFECT
    • It wouldn't have mattered either way.

Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder [TCG/OCG]

LIGHT - Level 10 - Thunder/Effect - 4000/4000

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by sending 3 face-up Continuous Spell Cards you control to the Graveyard, and cannot be Summoned by other ways. If this card destroys your opponent's monster by battle: Inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. If this card is in face-up Defense Position, your opponent cannot target monsters you control for attacks, except this one.

Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder [ANIME]

DIVINE - Level 10 - Divine-Beast/Effect - 4000/4000

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned by sending 3 Spell Cards you control to the Graveyard. If this card destroys your opponent's monster by battle, inflict 1000 damage to your opponent. If this card is in face-up Defense Position, your opponent cannot attack, except to attack this card. During the turn this Defense Position card is sent from the field to the Graveyard, you take no damage.

So, what's the damage, in YCM's opinion? I think it's weird how Hamon and Uria were neutered from any S/T to just Continuous, especially considering that you can't pull an Infernity- your opponent will immediately be able to check your Graveyard to see if you actually sent S/T. As for Hamon-specific nerfs, the anime version was pretty neat for locking out direct attacking and negating all damage you would take for the rest of the turn after it dies, but I don't think it was killed quite as hard as poor Uria in the effect it actually lost (for reference, Uria let you revive it by discarding a Trap, but it couldn't attack or pop any backrow that turn if you had another monster on board when you did). I don't know, I might be wrong, but I think Hamon kinda got off easy. Not sure what changed in becoming a LIGHT Thunder instead of a DIVINE Divine-Beast, though.

Archived