[AGM/Written] Kihawahine: A Goddess and her servants! (12/12)

Dova

[spoiler=Prompt]

Servant of Kiwahine

Basically, Zarc 2.0.

Kiwahine herself presides over this archetype, a Level 12 Reptile-Type Pendulum Ritual monster that, can Summon any 1 of her Servants that happen to be face-up in the Extra Deck at the moment by destroying a card . . . by battle or her own effect, which is the kind of thing Fire Kings would kill for: She can pop a number of cards on the field or in either player's hand equal to the number of archetype members on the field at the moment.

Then, of course, her Servants. Like Zarc with Darkwvrm, there is one servant you want to snag above all others- in this case, a Pendulum Shurit/Stratos that Special Summons itself if it's detached as Xyz Material, although thankfully its search is HOPT- and then you use that particular servant to take a trip down memory lane and Summon monsters of every ED mechanic.

That said, the archetype has literally two strategies for victory with all that swarming: Beatdown and destruction. No protection (except on Kiwahine herself), no non-destruction removal, not a lick of negation, not a dash of stun. You just slam your face into your opponent until they die of massive damage.

Thankfully, the Servants all have their own ways of making your stats insurmountable, and conducting some sweet power-smacks so your opponent never has the necessary resources to use their ever-essential ED. As for Scales . . . semi-generic (they change by 5 if you don't control the Goddess or her playmaker servants) 0 and 13 Scales are pretty sweet.

Basically, pray that your opponent doesn't have a Warning.

[spoiler=Design Notes]Oh boy, now this is a deep one to get into.

So, this prompt is based on the Hawaiian mythology of Kihawahine (Yes, the prompt says Kiwahine, but the actual prompt Draconus took it from was spelt correctly), the daughter of a powerful chief, who, upon her death, had many sacred rites performed on her body in order to raise her beyond death as a powerful Mo'o, a celestial spirit and guardian to the royal family. It really was a shame that there wasn't much art that fit this, as most of my reptilian art goes for a much darker side, and I couldn't find anything that captured the island's cultured representation of the legend.

In terms of what flavour I did actually pull through, the Ritual Spell used to Summon Kihawahine is literally the name of the esoteric rites that were used to help her ascend. All of the monster's names are Hawaiian, with the Main Deck line-up meaning Devoted, Life, Death, Beauty and Chaos respectively, and the Extra Deck names meaning Intense, Gust, Flow, and Rage also respectively. The actual syntax of the word features a lot more intricacies and deviations from English lettering, but I decided to remain simple for my sake and others. The S/T, which were never archetypal, I used to reference the state of being Kihawahine ended up with.

But the main draw here for me Zarc 2.0 . Now, I always liked massively absurd combinations of monsters, and drawing from each Extra Deck Card Type was really fun. Why Level 3? Because the Supreme King Servant Dragons are Level 4, and I'm saving Level 5 for another archetype :P Also, it divides into 12, so that works out nicely. Level 12 prevention on Kihawahine is so that you don't simply use multiple copies of her because of how utterly searchable she is. On the one hand, I may have gone overboard with that, but....nah. I decided to go with protection from Tributing along with destruction and targeting rather than unaffected, mostly just for an excuse to protect from Tributing lol. Also, she Summons herself because I thought it would be cool for a God to create himself, or herself in this case. Doesn't fit with the lore, but just something cool.

Was a bit worried after the first draft that the monster didn't easily ramp-up, and quickly lost their initial luster, so I added some GY effects and other things among them. Might seem a bit out of place to you, but that's why I'm posting them here, to see what you guys think. Yes, Maika'i and Make take advantage of Snake Rain pretty well, but I thought the hand requirements were enough there to not make it too overpowered. Also, fair balance of 13/0 scales, because I love symmetry, and that was why I had to have a full round of ED monsters to go with all the Attributes, even if that meant I had to double Xyzs :P Yes, I could've made a Link monster, but I couldn't think of a good one to make that fit. Also, despite me not being very happy with it, I did my best going with destruction, non-negation removal. Back to the ED, I felt they were a bit cookie-cutter, compared to the monsters, but managed to console myself with keeping that last effect. I did love that no HOPT mandatory search. Again, maybe it's a problem; but I do love it.

And...pretty sure that's it!

passes out from exhaustion

[spoiler=Ritual Monster w/ Spell]

Kihawahine
WATER - ✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Ritual/Effect - 4000/4000 - /13>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 8. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can Tribute monsters from your hand or field, then Ritual Summon 1 “Kihawahine” from your hand whose Level is equal to the total Level of the Tributed monsters.
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Kihawahine” card’s effect. Must be Ritual Summoned without using any Level 12 monsters, and can then be Pendulum Summoned. Cannot be targeted by cards or effects. Cannot be Tributed. Once per turn: You can destroy a number of cards in the hand and/or field equal to the number of “Kihawahine” monsters you control. If this card destroys an opponent’s monster (by battle or card effect): You can add 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” monster from face-up in your Extra Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn.

Kaku’ai, the Way of Kihawahine
Ritual Spell

This card is used to Ritual Summon “Kihawahine”. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Level/Ranks equal 12 or more. You can only activate 1 “Kaku’ai, the Way of Kihawahine” per turn. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can Tribute 1 face-up “Servant of Kihawahine” monster you control, then target 1 “Kihawahine” in your GY or that is banished; add this card and that target to your hand.

[spoiler=Main Deck Monsters: (5)]

Kule’a, Servant of Kihawahine
DARK - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Effect - 1600/100 - /0>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 5. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you control “Kihawahine”: You can target 1 Spell/Trap Card your opponent controls; destroy it.
If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: Add 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of this card’s name once per turn. When you would Ritual Summon “Kihawahine” by Tributing a monster(s), this card can be treated as the entire Tribute. If this card is detached from an Xyz Monster: Special Summon this card.

Make, Servant of Kihawahine
DARK - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Tuner/Effect - 200/700 - /13>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 8. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can send 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” monster from your Extra Deck to the GY; place 1 “Ola, Servant of Kihawahine” from your Deck in your other Pendulum Zone.
Up to twice per turn: You can target 1 other face-up Reptile monster you control; increase its Level by 3, but it cannot be used as Synchro Material for a Summon. You can banish this card and 1 "Servant of Kihawahine" monster from your GY; add 1 "Servant of Kihawahine" monster from your Deck to your hand with a different name to each of those banished monsters. You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

Ola, Servant of Kihawahine
DARK - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Effect - 900/100 - /0>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 5. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn: You can target 1 face-up “Kihawahine” you control; it gains 500 ATK for each card your opponent controls, until the end of this turn.
Once per turn: You can target 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Monster in your GY; immediately after this effect resolves, Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Summon that target, depending on its monster card type, using monsters from your field as Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz Materials respectively. You can banish this card and 1 "Servant of Kihawahine" monster from face-up in your Extra Deck; add 1 "Servant of Kihawahine" monster from your Deck to your hand with a different name to each of those banished monsters. You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

Maika'i, Servant of Kihawahine
DARK - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Tuner/Effect - 1400/1300 - /13>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 8. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you Special Summon a Reptile monster(s) while you control "Kihawahine": You can destroy 1 monster your opponent controls.
You can discard 1 "Kihawahine" monster; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY. During your Main Phase: You can send 1 "Servant of Kihawahine" monster from your Extra Deck to the GY; draw 1 card. You can only use each monster effect of this card's name once per turn.

Uluna, Servant of Kihawahine
DARK - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Pendulum/Effect - 1800/0 - /0>

If you do not control a “Kihawahine” monster(s), this card’s Pendulum Scale becomes 5. This effect cannot be negated. Once per turn, if you destroy a card your opponent controls (by battle or card effect) while you control "Kihawahine": You can activate this effect; each player destroys 1 card in their hand.
Cannot attack unless you control "Kihawahine". You can Tribute this face-up monster, then reveal 1 Ritual Monster or Ritual Spell Card in your hand: add 1 Ritual Monster or Ritual Spell Card listed on that card from your Deck to your hand. You can only use this effect of this card's name once per turn.

[spoiler=Extra Deck: (4)]

Ikaika, Servant of Kihawahine
LIGHT - ✪✪✪ - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 1900/1600

2 Level 3 Reptile monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: Reptile monsters you control gain 500 ATK until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card; add 1 Level 3 Reptile Pendulum monster from your Deck to your hand. If this card is destroyed by battle, or leaves the field because of an opponent’s card effect: Add 1 “Kihawahine” from your Deck to your hand.

Kani, Servant of Kihawahine
WIND - ✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Reptile/Synchro/Effect - 2500/1900

1 Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner Reptile monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: Reptile monsters you control gain 500 ATK until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can Special Summon 1 Level 3 Reptile Pendulum Monster from your hand or GY. If this card is destroyed by battle, or leaves the field because of an opponent’s card effect: Add 1 “Kihawahine” from your Deck to your hand.

Kahe, Servant of Kihawahine
WATER - ✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Reptile/Fusion/Effect - 2200/1750

2 Reptile monsters
Must first be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned by Tributing the above monsters you control (in which case you do not use “Polymerization”). If this card is Special Summoned: Reptile monsters you control gain 500 ATK until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can send 1 Reptile monster from your Deck to your GY, then target 1 Level 3 or lower Pendulum monster in your GY; add it to your hand. If this card is destroyed by battle, or leaves the field because of an opponent’s card effect: Add 1 “Kihawahine” from your Deck to your hand.

Inaina, Servant of Kihawahine
FIRE - ✪✪✪✪✪✪ - Reptile/Xyz/Effect - 2400/1800

2 Level 6 Reptile monsters
If this card is Special Summoned: Reptile monsters you control gain 500 ATK until the end of this turn. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card; Special Summon 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” monster from your Deck in face-up Attack Position. If this card is destroyed by battle, or leaves the field because of an opponent’s card effect: Add 1 “Kaku’ai, the Way of Kihawahine” from your Deck to your hand.

[spoiler=Spells/Traps: (2)]

The Trials of the Mo'o
Normal Spell

Send 1 Reptile monster from your Extra Deck to the GY, then target 1 “Servant of Kihawahine” monster in your GY; Special Summon it. You can only activate 1 “The Trials of the Mo'o” per turn.

Mo'o Volcanic Wrath
Normal Trap

If you control a "Servant of Kihawahine" monster(s): Target 1 card your opponent controls; destroy it. If you control cards in both of your Pendulum Zones, you can activate this card from your hand. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; add 1 "Kaku’ai, the Way of Kihawahine" from your Deck to your hand.

As always, CnC would be much appreciated!

Pretty interesting, I've gotta say. You kept to the prompt (despite my phone apparently deciding that a Hawaiian Goddess's name was not a real word), and the fact that you even used some pretty neat Attribute blending makes this a bit more three-dimensional than just reading the prompt at face value would imply.

I like that Kihawahine is one of the limited few boss monsters, in the real game and in the AGM, that is immune to just being Tributed over. Makes fighting her specifically a bit more interesting.

The only issue I have with the entire archetype is one itty-bitty text mistake you made- the Normal Spell. Is it "The Trials of the Mo'o", or "The Trials of Kihawahine"? The name says it's the former, but the text seems to imply it's the latter.

The only issue I have with the entire archetype is one itty-bitty text mistake you made- the Normal Spell. Is it "The Trials of the Mo'o", or "The Trials of Kihawahine"? The name says it's the former, but the text seems to imply it's the latter.

The former! Thanks, and fixed.

I did say that I'd review this, given I came up with the name and did have some role in the cultural accuracy based on last spring's semester studies [well, you asked on Discord because Google still sucks]. So yeah, let's see what you made here. 

Kihawahine: I'm appreciating the fact that it has an anti-Kaiju clause and cannot be targeted. At most, this does blow up to 6 cards out, if you can summon everything and then get her into the Extra Monster Zone (I can say this because the LEGACY tag isn't here). For AGM / ARC-V, yeah, 5 is still plenty. Taking this (MR4) into concern, the retrieval effect from the Extra Deck helps so you can actually do your plays. 

Also being a Ritual enabler in the same vein as Zefrasaber doesn't hurt either.

Kākūʻai: Unless I overlooked something, we don't have Rituals that allow you to Tribute Xyz, but it's still welcome here so the monsters aren't dead fodder. Otherwise, the retrieval works. 

MAIN DECK

Kule'a: Searcher and Shurit in Reptile form, and can SS itself when detached. I haven't reviewed the rest of the Deck yet, but yeah, there is the chance of this being used for recurring Xyz Summons if you can do it. I would say make it a hard OPT on doing that, but yeah.

Pendulum effect is fine. 

Make: Pretty much only used for making the Xyz or yeah, requiring less effort to make Kihawahine. Not exactly sure why it sets a specific one in the other zone (as even I don't know in specifics because of time constraints), but yeah, it's a Scale 0, so...make as you will with this. But then again, it does get Pends into the GY so you can revive them to the MMZ. 

Ola: Outside reviving stuff you mill with Trial and I guess, redo the summons if opponent uses Strike, not much use for ED summoning from the GY. Does have its uses and pushing for game if you need to (since boss already has enough protection to not require other support).

Maika'i: Another Tuner to go with Make, so that's fine. Least it's faster setup into the Level 6 and mills stuff Make can banish. Pendulum effect is fine too; doesn't target, so gets around a lot of bosses that have targeting protection. 

Uluna: Basically setup for grabbing either the Ritual Spell or actual monster, if for whatever reason, running Pre-Preparation and whatnot doesn't help (or you didn't open into it). Like it can search other Ritual stuff too, but unlikely you'll actually run other Rituals in here. 

EXTRA

Ikaika: This one's generally fine, though there's no real point running this outside of the Deck. On-summon power bonus is nice and yeah, it does search the boss when it dies. (Too bad it doesn't trigger off Uluna, but probably would be busted)

Kani: Recycling dead monsters and all isn't bad, especially since Maika'i and Make (hmm, both Tuners) usually mills them so you can get them out. Rest of the effect is the same as Ikaika (power boost + searching Kihawahine when taken off the field)

Kahe: Generally fine for the most part, given you can technically cycle out the monsters you need at a particular moment. 

Inaina: Well, only way you're summoning this in-archetype is via Make changing other monsters. But yeah, summoning the Main Deck is always nice and trigger them off if needed. 

SPELLS

Trials of Mo'o: This one is fine. 

Volcanic Wrath: Uh, you can already trigger this from your hand because it's a Normal Spell (unless you're intending for it to trigger like a hand trap). Other than that, card's fine for general removal and searches stuff. 

That being said, you quite literally need to control Kihawahine to keep the scales at the extremes (Scale 5 and 8 isn't too bad, but given all of the members are Level 3; no chance in summoning them once they hit the ED). I'd have to look at what other Reptile tech cards you could use that would fit inside this range. 

For the most part, you did fine.  

====

@Draco: Yeah, autocorrect legitimately sucks.

On a second read, I appreciate the restraint you put forth in making it so that the Deck didn't just go off in the Graveyard, just as a precaution for Snake Rain (we don't have it in the AGM, don't worry), but I'm curious as to why the archetype doesn't mesh with existing Reptile support in any way, Konami or AGM. No Level 4s to make King of the Feral Imps, too high of Levels for Exl support, they're not EARTH and none have a combined 2900 statline for help from Fungal Serpents, no 1000/0 Birth of the Hydra targets, not even the backrow benefits from Venoms being able to grab Snake Deity cards (although that does at least keep you effectively on-theme) . . . they're very self-contained, which helps prevent use as an engine or the splashing of too many outside engines at the very least.

It's commendable and confusing.

On a second read, I appreciate the restraint you put forth in making it so that the Deck didn't just go off in the Graveyard, just as a precaution for Snake Rain (we don't have it in the AGM, don't worry), but I'm curious as to why the archetype doesn't mesh with existing Reptile support in any way, Konami or AGM. No Level 4s to make King of the Feral Imps, too high of Levels for Exl support, they're not EARTH and none have a combined 2900 statline for help from Fungal Serpents, no 1000/0 Birth of the Hydra targets, not even the backrow benefits from Venoms being able to grab Snake Deity cards (although that does at least keep you effectively on-theme) . . . they're very self-contained, which helps prevent use as an engine or the splashing of too many outside engines at the very least.

It's commendable and confusing.

Low levels I felt fit with the slightly weaker theme of Reptiles, as seen in Venom and similar cards, and while I was tempted for Exl plays, I wanted to make all of the monsters the same Level, and the lower Levels wouldn't make Ritual Summoning easy. 

But, you want to know my simultaneous blessing and curse?

I'm not very aware of outside "good" support. Even in the TCG/OCG.

I have a narrow field of view when it comes to cardmaking, and I look for cards that could break what I'm making, not so much what could make them better. I'm working on it, but the truth is, I forgot about Birth of the Hydra and Fungal Serpents. While I had experience with Venom and decided against it, the aforementioned two completely slipped my mind.

I could post the entire set in the AGM, but I doubt if that will garner much more thought than the mild 30 word requirement here. And, after all, that's why I post stuff here; so that others might be able to see what I cannot!

Archived