Maliciousea Archetype (16/16)

Maliciousea is an Archetype of Level 4 Aqua, Fish and Sea Serpent/DARK monsters, as well as a single Level 1 monster. They focus on Xyz Summoning and Special Summoning from the Deck. Each Main Deck monster, except Amphipod, has an effect that can Tribute another Maliciousea monster to Special Summon another Maliciousea monster from the Deck with a different Type, where Amphipod does this when it itself is Tributed.

You use this playstyle to perform Xyz Summons with the special method their Xyz Monsters have that make you able to use only a single monster for the Xyz Summon if it was Special Summoned from the Deck, also their offensive effects are about banishing cards face-down.

Along with that, their Field Spell, The Deep Maliciousea, provides the ability to use monsters from your hand or field as though they were materials when you activate their effects, so you don't even need to have a lot of materials attached! That being said, you are also benefited by having at least 3 materials attached to them as well, by providing a protection effect on them.

Their name is a portmanteau of Malicious and Sea, and they are all based around deep sea creatures, particularly the weird and scary ones. I realize that the Sea Serpent monsters aren't really serpents, but it's the closest I was able to come to them.

Main Deck Monsters:

Maliciousea Amphipod

Aqua/DARK

Level 1

If you control a "Maliciousea" monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, but banish it when it leaves the field. If this card is Tributed: You can Special Summon 1 "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck, except "Maliciousea Amphipod". You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Amphipod" once per turn.

0/0

Maliciousea Gulper

Aqua/DARK

Level 4

You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. If this card is sent to the GY to activate the effect of a "Maliciousea" Xyz Monster: You can Special Summon this card from your GY.  You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Gulper" once per turn.

1000/1500

Maliciousea Stargazer

Aqua/DARK

Level 4

You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. If this card is Special Summoned from your Deck: You can target 1 "Maliciousea" monster in your GY, except "Maliciousea Stargazer"; Special Summon that target. This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Stargazer" once per turn.

1300/1600

Maliciousea Anglerfish

Fish/DARK

Level 4

You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. If another "Maliciousea" monster(s) is Tributed: You can add 1 "Maliciousea" card from your Deck to your hand, except "Maliciousea Anglerfish". This card must be face-up on the field to activate and to resolve this effect. You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Anglerfish" once per turn.

1600/1000

Maliciousea Fangfish

Fish/DARK

Level 4

If this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Maliciousea" monster from your hand, except "Maliciousea Fangfish", but it cannot be used as material for an Xyz Summon. You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Fangfish" once per turn.

1800/500

Maliciousea Blackdragon

Sea Serpent/DARK

Level 4

You can Tribute 1 "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon this card from your hand or GY, but banish it when it leaves the field. You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. You can only use each effect of "Maliciousea Blackdragon" once per turn.

500/2000

Maliciousea Grenadier

Sea Serpent/DARK

Level 4

You can Tribute other "Maliciousea" monster; Special Summon "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type. You can only use this effect of "Maliciousea" once per turn. An Xyz Monster that was Xyz Summoned using this card as material gains this effect.

● Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 other "Maliciousea" monster; take 1 "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck and either attach it to this card as a face-up material or Special Summon it.

1700/1200

Extra Deck Monsters:

Maliciousea Coffinfish

Fish/DARK

Link Arrows: Down, Left

2 DARK monsters with different Types

When this card is Link Summoned by using a "Maliciousea" monster as material: You can move it to your Main Monster Zone it points to. Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 monster this card points to; banish 1 random card from your opponent's hand face-down, also this card cannot attack for the rest of this turn. If a monster is Special Summoned from your Deck to your zone this card points to: Draw 2 cards, then discard 1 card. You can only use this effect of "Maliciousea Coffinfish" once per turn.

1700/LINK-2

Maliciousea Viperfish

Fish/DARK/Xyz

Rank 4

2+ Level 4 DARK monsters with different Types

You can also Xyz Summon "Maliciousea Viperfish" once per turn by using 1 Level 4 or lower "Maliciousea" monster you control as material that was Special Summoned from your Deck. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this, then target 1 face-up monster your opponent controls whose ATK is less than or equal to this card's ATK; banish that target face-down. While this card has 3 or more materials attached, it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

2200/1700

Maliciousea Blobfish

Aqua/DARK

Rank 4

2+ Level 4 DARK monsters with different Types

You can also Xyz Summon "Maliciousea Blobfish" once per turn by using 1 Level 4 "Maliciousea" monster you control as material that was Special Summoned from your Deck. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card, then target 1 face-up Spell/Trap your opponent controls; banish that target target face-down, then look at your opponent's hand and Deck as banish as many cards face-down with the same name as possible. While this card has 3 or more materials attached, it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

2000/2500

Maliciousea Chimaera

Sea Serpent/DARK/Xyz

Rank 4

3+ Level 4 DARK monsters with different Types

You can also Xyz Summon "Maliciousea" once per turn by using 1-to-2 Level 4 or lower "Maliciousea" monsters you control as material that was Special Summoned from your Deck. Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can detach any number of material from this card; all face-up monsters your opponent control lose ATK equal to the number of materials detached x 1000, then banish any monsters face-down whose ATK was reduced to 0 as a result. While this card has 3 or more materials attached, it cannot be targeted or destroyed by your opponent's card effects.

2500/1500

Spells/Traps:

The Deep Maliciousea

Field Spell

All "Maliciousea" monsters you control gain 300 ATK and DEF. Once per turn, if a "Maliciousea" Xyz Monster you control would detach its material(s) to activate its effect, you can also treat other "Maliciousea" monsters in your hand or field as materials by sending them to the GY. If you Xyz Summon a "Maliciousea" Xyz Monster: You can add 1 "Maliciousea" card from your Deck to your hand, except "The Deep Maliciousea". You can only use this effect of "The Deep Maliciousea" once per turn.

Surfacing the Maliciousea

Normal Spell

If you control no monsters in your Extra Monster Zone: Target 1 "Malicious" monster in your GY; Special Summon it in Defense Position, also for the rest of this turn, you cannot Xyz Summon, except "Maliciousea" monsters. You can only activate 1 "Surfacing the Maliciousea" per turn.

School of the Maliciousea

Quick-Play Spell

Target 1 "Maliciousea" Xyz Monster you control with no materials; attach 1 "Maliciousea" monster from your hand or Deck to it as a material, also if you control "The Deep Maliciousea", attach up to 2 other "Maliciousea" monsters from your hand or field to it as material. If a "Maliciousea" monster you control would be destroyed by battle, you can banish this card from your GY instead.

Darkness of the Maliciousea

Normal Trap

You can target "Maliciousea" monsters in your GY with different Types up to the number of materials attached to "Maliciousea" Xyz Monsters you control; detach materials from "Maliciousea" Xyz Monsters you control equal to the number of targets, then add those targets to your hand. If you control "The Deep Maliciousea", you can activate this card from your hand. You can only activate 1 "Darkness of the Maliciousea" per turn

Maliciousea Species

Continuous Trap

Once per turn: You can Tribute 1 DARK monster; Special Summon 1 "Maliciousea" monster from your Deck with a different Type from that monster. If you control 3 "Maliciousea" monsters with different Types, once per turn, if DARK Xyz Monster you control would detach exactly 1 material to activate its card effect, you can banish 1 face-up monster your opponent control face-down instead.

Hey, this reminds me of my Fish/Sea Serpent archetype that I'm working on, where the Fish only support the Sea Serpents and vice versa. However, you don't mention what the Summoned monster's type from their on-Tribute effect must be different to; the card Tributing, or the card Tributed? Also, shouldn't it specify you control, or was that deprecated at some point? Anyway, I like the idea of keeping materials on your Xyzs and extending it to other cards you control, which took me a few read throughs to get. Didn't quite understand Gulper before that :P

Your cards are all around pretty solid, actually. The only bad ones that stand out are Surfacing, because it's a terrible means of recovery with all of its restrictions in this MR4 format, and Darkness, which is slow as a Normal Trap and generally only grants you 1-2 searches, if that. I mean, it would be useful if your opponent pulls a Shinobird or something, but otherwise I want to keep my materials on my monsters, considering the protection they garner from them AND the battle protection from School. Oh, School, how I love thee. Such a potentially powerful effect that really isn't OP when you look deep into it. Not a barebones supportive card, but so in-theme and so helpful.

All of the monsters have their place in the Deck, with perhaps Gulper and Grenadier put at the terrible ranking of 2 instead of 3-ofs , although I must say they suffer from "I don't do anything except support lol" syndrome, which really just encourages massive on-turn plays. That's more of a personal gripe, as I prefer more interactive boards, and aside from the Xyzs, there's very little of that here. Another personal thing is the lack of Level requirements on the Xyzs. Yes, F0 has that, but it has a special Rank, and these card's alternate Summoning Conditions do seem a little out of place. Ah well, this Deck is such a good swarmer 90% of the time you won't even need it.

Hey, this reminds me of my Fish/Sea Serpent archetype that I'm working on, where the Fish only support the Sea Serpents and vice versa. However, you don't mention what the Summoned monster's type from their on-Tribute effect must be different to; the card Tributing, or the card Tributed? Also, shouldn't it specify you control, or was that deprecated at some point? Anyway, I like the idea of keeping materials on your Xyzs and extending it to other cards you control, which took me a few read throughs to get. Didn't quite understand Gulper before that :P

Your cards are all around pretty solid, actually. The only bad ones that stand out are Surfacing, because it's a terrible means of recovery with all of its restrictions in this MR4 format, and Darkness, which is slow as a Normal Trap and generally only grants you 1-2 searches, if that. I mean, it would be useful if your opponent pulls a Shinobird or something, but otherwise I want to keep my materials on my monsters, considering the protection they garner from them AND the battle protection from School. Oh, School, how I love thee. Such a potentially powerful effect that really isn't OP when you look deep into it. Not a barebones supportive card, but so in-theme and so helpful.

All of the monsters have their place in the Deck, with perhaps Gulper and Grenadier put at the terrible ranking of 2 instead of 3-ofs , although I must say they suffer from "I don't do anything except support lol" syndrome, which really just encourages massive on-turn plays. That's more of a personal gripe, as I prefer more interactive boards, and aside from the Xyzs, there's very little of that here. Another personal thing is the lack of Level requirements on the Xyzs. Yes, F0 has that, but it has a special Rank, and these card's alternate Summoning Conditions do seem a little out of place. Ah well, this Deck is such a good swarmer 90% of the time you won't even need it.

I guess I should have made it a bit clearer, it's the monster Tributed that is the Type you are not allowed to search.

Surfacing didn't have that condition at first, but I wasn't a huge fan of that free Special Summon. I could remove that I suppose. Maybe as long as you don't have an Xyz Monster in the Extra Monster Zone could work too.

Darkness I am thinking of adding a clause that makes you able to activate it while The Deep Maliciousea is up, because the cost is pretty huge in addition to being a Trap. Another idea I had was allowing it to be re-set if you detach all of the monsters' materials, thoughts on that?

Yeah, I can see how monsters being used for this purpose only isn't the most creative, but I wanted them to be rather simple, instead of giving them a ton of effects for the sake of it. That's how most Xyz Decks kind of are though, they want their bosses as much as possible.

Oops, their normal method is meant to be Level 4, I am too used to making Link Monsters I suppose.

Darkness I am thinking of adding a clause that makes you able to activate it while The Deep Maliciousea is up, because the cost is pretty huge in addition to being a Trap. Another idea I had was allowing it to be re-set if you detach all of the monsters' materials, thoughts on that?

Assuming you mean activate it from the hand, yeah, that's a good idea. However, the main problem I have with it is that you'll generally only be needing GY recovery when you have a bad field, and if you have an Xyz Monster, that shouldn't really be a problem. And if you do have a bad field, the Xyz monsters low material requirements means you'll just be Summoning them with their lower Summoning restriction. Again, which I don't really like, as their materials basically are "You can Xyz Summon this card with any number of "Maliciousea" monsters.", which kinda defeats the point of Xyz Summoning, at least for me.

You could Set it after activation, which I guess is always good to an extent, but again, a card that eats up your advantage to gain advantage isn't something that's going to be amazing to reuse. I really don't know how to rework it while keeping its interesting mechanic.

Assuming you mean activate it from the hand, yeah, that's a good idea. However, the main problem I have with it is that you'll generally only be needing GY recovery when you have a bad field, and if you have an Xyz Monster, that shouldn't really be a problem. And if you do have a bad field, the Xyz monsters low material requirements means you'll just be Summoning them with their lower Summoning restriction. Again, which I don't really like, as their materials basically are "You can Xyz Summon this card with any number of "Maliciousea" monsters.", which kinda defeats the point of Xyz Summoning, at least for me.

You could Set it after activation, which I guess is always good to an extent, but again, a card that eats up your advantage to gain advantage isn't something that's going to be amazing to reuse. I really don't know how to rework it while keeping its interesting mechanic.

Well, I would consider Surfacing the Maliciousea to be my comeback card more than anything, as grabbing an Xyz Monster with this can be helpful as it puts them with no materials for School of the Maliciousea this card is further be able to advance your play, by removing materials and getting back monsters, you can get another monster on the field or use School, all of their support is meant to work together in that way. Another idea I had was to make it work when the Xyz Monster leaves the field, as in battle, effect, using it as a material for a Link Summon etc. and making it able to target monsters up the number it attached at that time. This way it's a comeback card truly. I would make it a Quick-Play instead for that as well, or possibly give it a hand activating clause if I wanted to keep it a Trap.

Archived