[Written] Wrestle-Bound Serpent

Sleepy

Wrestle-Bound Serpent

WATER Level 1 [ Reptile / Effect ] 0/300

During your Standby Phase, if a Level 4 or lower monster(s) was destroyed by battle during either player's previous turn, and this card was sent to the GY within either player's previous turn: You can add this card from your GY to your hand (it remains revealed). You can only use this effect of "Wrestle-Bound Serpent" once per turn. If this card added to your hand this way is Normal Summoned while control no Special Summoned monsters: You can have it gain 4000 ATK. 

- - - - - -

It's a Sinister Serpent but it triggers best when old school battle floaters do their jobs.

It encourages old school playing (Goat control speed xD ) and you might have to do something like nuke the board to have this card's second effect live (after all, having a floated monsters out will be on the way).

Kind of a meme use. Use something like Karma Kut to discard it when your opponent is declaring the attack so that it is too late when they realize it's about to happen.

A gimmicky card for sure, but I can see that's the intention. I would say it fulfills its purpose.

Although I find a bit out of place that a Level  can have that much ATK, is not an alien concept. There are other low-Level monsters that can reach high ATK through their effects, namely Eater of Millions.

Also, AFAIK it's better if you make the card stay revealed when its added to your hand by its effect. Otherwise, by card mechanics/rulings, once it gets in your hand, it "forgets" that it was in the GY already, or rather, you are unable to confirm that the card you Normal Summon it's the same as the card that was previously in the GY.

A gimmicky card for sure, but I can see that's the intention. I would say it fulfills its purpose.

Although I find a bit out of place that a Level  can have that much ATK, is not an alien concept. There are other low-Level monsters that can reach high ATK through their effects, namely Eater of Millions.

Also, AFAIK it's better if you make the card stay revealed when its added to your hand by its effect. Otherwise, by card mechanics/rulings, once it gets in your hand, it "forgets" that it was in the GY already, or rather, you are unable to confirm that the card you Normal Summon it's the same as the card that was previously in the GY.

Yes the max printed ATK for a Level 1 would be Machine Emperor Wisel at 2500 (+ the ATK of whatever Synchro it might absorb), though Thousand Eyes, Millennium Eyes, Relinquished, Relinquished Anima, Grannel, Skiel, Goblin King, Starduston, King of Skull Servants, Performapal Life Swordsman (with a Smile Universe combo)  and probably other cards can all prove on the capacity of Level 1 monsters to become beaters.

I like the reveal idea. I'll work up how to word that later xD

4000 attack too much, if I correctly read, this card must be destroyed with another level 4 or lower monster in same previous turn. Then you can add it to your hand and normal summon it with 4000 attack. Nah mate if I were you I would make it so that you can only add it to your hand, then special summon 1 monster with same attribute and level as this card from your deck/graveyard, and have it be unaffected by card effects for 2 turns. If it survives 2 turns, then its attack increased to 3000.

4000 attack too much, if I correctly read, this card must be destroyed with another level 4 or lower monster in same previous turn. Then you can add it to your hand and normal summon it with 4000 attack. Nah mate if I were you I would make it so that you can only add it to your hand, then special summon 1 monster with same attribute and level as this card from your deck/graveyard, and have it be unaffected by card effects for 2 turns. If it survives 2 turns, then its attack increased to 3000.

The way it works, is that this card must already be in the graveyard when a different Level 4 or lower monster you control gets destroyed.

Then during your next Standby it goes to your hand.

Then, if you have no monsters (that were Special Summoned into the field) and decide to Normal Summon this card, it becomes 4000.

^This last bit is added because the ideal monsters to destroy are battle floaters (Mystic Tomato, Giant Rat, Mother Grizzly, Flying Kamakiri #1, UFO Turtle, Shining Angel, Pyramid Turtle, etc). So it's easy for a player to leave the monster you search with those out and make it harder for my card's "4000 ATK" effect to be live.

Then it technically has tons of ways to counter. If you change its position it still has 200 DEF (Book of Moon, Tsukuyomi, Black Brachios, etc.) or if the effect gets negated, you just Normal Summoned a 0 ATK monster.

- - - - -

Your effect idea is interesting, since I think it would be an interesting way to support the original Sinister Serpent. And in my head I imagine the effect as a reptile glowing and rising in temperature for a while, making it hard to approach for radiation (thus protecting it from battle or effects) and then rising its ATK afterwards by growing into a Kaiju-size beast.

Though that'd change a bit too many things, so it'd probably warrant another card.

Maybe it could be an archetype idea. An archetype of beefy reptiles.

It’s still overpowered, if you wanna keep it this way, I would suggest you add extra stipulation where you must also have monster(s) in your graveyard whose total ATK is 4000 or higher and that you have no cards in your hand or field, this card loses 1000 ATK for each card in your hand and it is destroyed during your 2nd End-phase. Otherwise you’re getting a guaranteed 4000 ATK monster without putting no effort. (That’s overpowered even for god card tier honestly)

Or add this stipulation to be clever: “When this card would be destroyed it is banished instead.” Now only way you can get this card into your graveyard is by discarding it from your hand or sending from deck to graveyard using foolish burial etc. Makes your effect more simple and effective. Use tribute to the doomed and bam this card automatically hits your graveyard.

I think this is quite reasonable given how many jump and hoops you need to set to basically vanilla 4000 people can simply solemn'd or pop due to lack of immunity. Especially not that many deck out there willing to leave level 4 monster unless its already boss monster of its own like relinquish, wisel, or so fort

I think this is quite reasonable given how many jump and hoops you need to set to basically vanilla 4000 people can simply solemn'd or pop due to lack of immunity. Especially not that many deck out there willing to leave level 4 monster unless its already boss monster of its own like relinquish, wisel, or so fort

You really want level 4000 monster to appear out of blue? Think of what has to be done to get it out; you’re losing monsters in a duel, then this card happens to be in your GY, and next turn you get 4000 ATK monster without doing anything. How easy it is for me to say ‘oh I’m just gonna set a monster and hope it gets destroyed so next turn I can unleash 4000 ATK monster?

If a somewhat-easy-to-Summon 4k beater would be a major issue, I think we would have already seen it with Endless Decay. It too can go live by your Pyramid Turtle dying (and without using an extra NS, and from the Deck), plus the amount of GY-revival Zombies have in general, makes it really easy to bring out. Granted, it can't have its ATK become 4k after the moment your opponent takes a scratch, but it still exists.

@@Arthknight

Require next standby phase, which enough time for opponent to lower the kill ceiling significantly (or out right kill you probs) > require level 4 or lower monster which as i mention, unless in a dedicated deck or being power card on its own usually not really a decent plays and highly suspectible to effect poping since opponent KNEW the presence of this card > all of this implying only the requirement apply and fulfilled on exactly 1 turn of each respective players before > HOPT > and still consume the precious normal summon you can use for additional Special summon bosses that can accompany this card.

Yeah, 4000 ATK monsters without protection backup of any kind are not that threatening anymore. For example, you can easily access a 5000 ATK through Utopia the Lightning. Not to mention the abundance of effect removal nowadays. Plus add the conditions you have to meet to Summon this card. Heck, Five Headed Dragon is arguably easier to Summon through Dragon's Mirror, has 1000 more ATK than this, plus a mild battle protection, and yet it's nowhere to be seen in the top tiers.

If this card is in the GY, then the opponent knows it's there as well, and can plan ahead to make it more difficult for it to be Summoned, or prevent it entirely by, for example, banishing it.

You really want level 4000 monster to appear out of blue? Think of what has to be done to get it out; you’re losing monsters in a duel, then this card happens to be in your GY, and next turn you get 4000 ATK monster without doing anything. How easy it is for me to say ‘oh I’m just gonna set a monster and hope it gets destroyed so next turn I can unleash 4000 ATK monster?

It's not so out of the blue. Your opponent can see it a whole round of turns beforehand sitting in the graveyard. 

If you consider what else we have in the game, there's "Utopia the Lightning" which means a player can Summon two Level 4 monsters and instantly access a 5000 ATK monster that prevents monster effects it fights of activating. In terms of counters, there's a somewhat popular Spell being used nowadays called "Called by the Grave" which can just banish this card when it wants to get retrieved, which means your setup steps of the last couple turns got wasted.

Here's a combo that's arguably easier to do: Look up the cards "Pot of Desires" and "Gren Maju Da Eiza". Pot draws 2, and Gren Maju becomes 4000. No more time or setup needed. If anything, Gen Maju can go to 8000 if you use another Pot copy later on. Yet, this combo is not making a lot of noise in the game. A high ATK Normal Summon that requires some setup is more plausible nowadays than it used to be.

Or look at Blue-Eyes. That deck brings out almost nothing but 3000 ATK beaters. They don't require Normal Summon restrictions, come in greater numbers, some have extra effects, and with all that, those 3000 beaters are often just the materials used for the actual bosses of the deck.

^^"

Gren maju and Dragon’s Mirror are two completely unique effects. This card is like a decoy dragon where an opponent knows what it does ahead of time (I’m aware of that). All I’m saying is some creative twist should be added to this card (maybe that could be for advanced section), imagine a A.I is going up against this and it attacks, this might work for human opponents. (Though decoy dragon doesn’t get attacked by A.I in yugioh LOD)

Add this effect to balance it: “When this card would be destroyed on your field, it is banished instead.” This way you can foolish burial it or discard it from your hand, better yet when your opponent declares an attack, discard this card from your hand using Rageki Break, setting this card up perfectly to summon (4000 ATK) on your next turn.

Archived