Should Yu-Gi-Oh! start crossing over with other TCGs?

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Jace_Beleren

http://duelmasters.wikia.com/wiki/Jace,_the_Mind_Sculptor

rYpRQWk.jpgnPshotI.jpg

The above cards are Jace Beleren from Magic: The Gathering, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor from Duel Masters. Both these cards are the same character (Jace Beleren from Magic: The Gathering) as Jace crossed over from MTG to Duel Masters.

Yu-Gi-Oh! has been a successful franchise for a little over 15 years (20 in Japan), and in that time we've seen coutless cards that have been in part based on various concepts, other franchises, and once in a while they'll make a card partially depicting a real-world event, but to this day Konami has yet to make a card in the TCG/OCG that was directly crossed over from another franchise, people here on yugiohcardmaker do all the time any time but why not Konami themselves? I personally don't see anything along with it, it can actually help not only this game but any other franchise it would crossover with. The publicity alone would drive up sales of the boosters and Structure Decks dramatically because you would potentially see people who used to play but stopped pick up a Deck or especially little kids who would see they're favorite characters from other franchises as Yu-Gi-Oh! cards and would want to play for that reason. Of course this works the opposite way too, if certain Yu-Gi-Oh! monsters started crossing over into other franchises, to increase the overall reach of this game to others, and to give Konami a chance to acquire new IPs. The best way to do this is if Konami pulled a move from Bushiroad (Bushiroad has well over 4 unique TCGs and other licensed products), and most of those TCG IPs play similar to each other but not the same. So if Konami did something similar, if they either acquired an IP from an outside party or created their own, they could use Yu-Gi-Oh! cards like Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Elemental HERO Neos by crossing them over into that game with the appropriate stats/effects for that game and its mechanics, and so forth to promote that new IP and get newcomers as well as veteran Yu-Gi-Oh! players to buy into that game and further help it out.

​What do you think?

"Jace, the Mind Sculptor" is also the name of an mtg card. A much better card than Jace beleren. The duel masters card mimics JTMS's abilities.

Keep in mind duel masters was made by wotc, just like mtg. Similar things are done by bushiroad, iirc.

Konami does not have any other TCGs at this time.

Even still, I am generally against this sort of thing. I believe it dilutes the flavor of the individual games.

"The publicity alone would drive up sales of the boosters and Structure Decks dramatically" I really don't think it would be that much of an increase man. If I walked by a yugioh stand and saw they had some Luffy looking mother funker on a booster box the only thought I would have is "Why". They already do reference various medias within archetypes and individual cards enough already I see no reason to do full on cross overs.

​And the only reason Duel Masters has a Jace is because Wizards was the TCG distributor for Duel Masters and that other stupid card game they tried to make.

kaijudo.

Kaijudo was different, it was Wizards of the Coast being stupid by not just not calling Kaijudo a direct part of Duel Masters and effectively rebooting that game. I'm talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! having characters from other games as cards in this game, and they have done that with the old-school Gradius cards.

"Jace, the Mind Sculptor" is also the name of an mtg card. A much better card than Jace beleren. The duel masters card mimics JTMS's abilities.

Keep in mind duel masters was made by wotc, just like mtg. Similar things are done by bushiroad, iirc.

Konami does not have any other TCGs at this time.

Even still, I am generally against this sort of thing. I believe it dilutes the flavor of the individual games.

So if Thanos from the MCU became an actual Yu-Gi-Oh! card (like how he was playable in Fortnite), would you still not like that?

Kaijudo was different, it was Wizards of the Coast being stupid by not just not calling Kaijudo a direct part of Duel Masters and effectively rebooting that game. I'm talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! having characters from other games as cards in this game, and they have done that with the old-school Gradius cards.

I was naming the game krow spoke of.

The reason it failed was because it wasn't an intuitive game. Being linked to a dead franchise half a dozen people like wouldn't fix that.

So if Thanos from the MCU became an actual Yu-Gi-Oh! card (like how he was playable in Fortnite), would you still not like that?

No, I wouldn't.

No because it doesn't make sense lol. If they allude to Marvel with an archetype like they did with Kozmos that would be cool, but in such a direct way. If I wanted to play Thanos I would play the Marvel card game.

Dropping in, Re:Bushiroad-

thet have promotions with outside franchises, like Touken Ranbu or a weird Lorean reality show about people singing in costumes,  and Weiss Schwarz is anime and VG the card game, but their main games (Future Card Buddyfight and Cardfight Vanguard) have no crossover between them, outside of unplayable promos, iirc.

There’s a recent mobile game they’ve made that is a crossover of their franchises in terms of cardpool, but it’s mostly just to draw people in from said games, and it has an identity all its own.

Archived