Raptor Wing Strike

RaptorWingStrike-LC5D-EN-C-1E.png

Raptor Wing Strike

Normal Spell

Shuffle 1 "Blackwing" monster you control into the Main Deck; add 1 "Blackwing" monster from your Deck to your hand.

With the new Blackwing Support, I noticed that our Whirlwind searcher, Simoon, only works if you control no monsters. Which really is a shame, considering you can search him off Shura, Kris and Bora using another Whirlwind.

However, then I remember this card.

It is a -1, considering you're shuffling a monster you control to get a search, but 90% of the Blackwings are SSable from the hand, and considering you can search whichever one you want...yeah. Also, a means to instantly search and enable Simmon if you open badly with no Whirlwind, but otherwise, if you've already searched him with a Whirlwind, a means to get out 2 Whirlwinds for Simoon's and eventually Nothung's Normal Summon.

Shuffling as a cost means your opponent can't prevent it from going off by killing the monster, but also means that if it is negated, you've lost your monster and probably your Normal Summon. It's a double edged sword, probably more bad than good.

Is it playable?

Well, considering no one else has responded to this yet...

In my Blackwing Deck, I've found this card isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either. It's really useful if you open a Whirlwind and 2 Blackwing monsters but no Simoon, meaning you activate Whirlwind, search off your Normal Summon, then use Raptor Wing Strike to grab Simoon then immediately use it to search two. If you just open two monsters, you could technically just use 1 Simoon then search off of him to instantly go into one of the Level 7s (Simoon is Level 6, and the only Tuners you have that you can SS are Level 1 and 3, and we all know how good the Sync 9 pool is), but the best targets are Chidori and Armor Master, it's not an amazing play. There's also Apprentice Witchinling I guess, but still none of them are really good plays.

Also, that and both of the above plays need 2 Blackwing monsters in your hand. Not a long shot by any means, but still.

With all of that being said, I haven't bricked with it either. It's been useful for when I have a monster with just the wrong Level to make a cool field, but at those times I wish I had just drawn the monster instead of having to shuffle to search.

Going to playtest a bit more, but it's less appealing than it seemed initially.

Were Ash not around to sprout a woodie the second this card got activated, I'd say this could work-get the Blackwing you need from the one you don't-use this on a Steam the Cloak for more potential shenanigans-then get another Blackwing, preferably Poison Wind, and go off like crazy thanks to your friendly neighborhood Nothung the Starlight giving you essentially THREE NORMAL SUMMONS and thus three searches. 

S'why I have similar feelings about using Swallow's Nest with Blackwings, especially with the SynchroLink Laddering potential of the Blackwing's Level 3 branch that card can offer (again, Steam the Cloak is so important in this regard and I'm scared it might get hit because of it)

Now? I'd reckon Allure of Darkness and Pot of Desires should be all the searching you need, especially combined with the Whirlwind.

I'd actually say Auster the South Wind is stealthily good in another way in this regard-every card you have that banishes stuff now doesn't waste motion (Allure of Darkness and Vayu, as well as Left Arm Offering, are also good/made better in this regard), just Search Auster, Summon back what you banished and continue no with your Synchro/Link Laddering. 

Especially Left-Arm Offering. You can use it in tandem with Raptor Wing Strike should you have something on board and not have exerted the Normal Summon to shuffle something back, get RWS, search Auster, Normal Summon it, get back one of the Blackwings LAO banished and go ham.

Archived