Eternal Angels/Gods archetype - Spells, Traps and LINKS

OLDschoolBroZ

("Kneel before me... witness true despair and face your demise... For I AM Eternal." - The Eternal God of Desperation)

The Eternal Angels and The Eternal Gods are an Archetype comprised out of ONLY Spells, Traps and LINK monsters. "But wait a second, how do I summon any Links without main Monsters?" well the Spells/Traps either summon themselves or Tokens for you to Link summon with.

Aside from just putting bodies on the board, the Spells/Traps are more focused around controlling the field with negation, destruction and protection of some sorts. By doing so the deck brings out "monsters" which will in turn Snowball the match in your favor. In addition to that they also have GY related effects to keep them relevant once activated.

The LINK monsters work in tandem with the Spells/Traps, by either recurring cards, further more disrupt your opponents plays or just straight away out your opponents troublemakers.

General idea: I wanted to make an archetype that doesn't use any Main monsters at all. I just tried to challenge myself to see what i can come up with. Some cards were harder to word than others simply because I forgot to add restrictions to their effects which made them absurdly overpowered and splashable in almost every deck in todays format. I looked over the effects multiple times and reworded them as many times as I needed to make the archetype you see today. I actually started this archetype even way before I published some of my other archetypes just so that I can see where I went wrong and improve from there simply because I love the idea of this archetype (even though I don't like playing paleos).

I would really appreciate it if you do look at this thread to let me know how you find it and where I can improve (potentially some effects where I messed up synergy wise and/or broken interactions with outsider cards).

Disclaimer: All copyright for any images belongs to their original owners and are merely used as representations here. If there are any issues regarding copyright please notify me and I will proceed to fix this as soon as possible.

With that being said, enjoy!

SPELLS:

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Knowledge (Quick-Spell)]

LTkCMSB.jpg

Target 1 Spell/Trap card on the field; destroy it, immediately after this effect resolves if you control a token, you can destroy 1 additional Spell/Trap card on the field. Once per turn: You can banish this card in your GY then if you do Special summon 1 "Reincarnated Knowledge Token"(Spellcaster/LIGHT/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). They cannot be used for Special summons except for a Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster. You can only activate the effects of "The Eternal Angel of Knowledge" once per turn.

-

Writers note: This card cannot only provide disruption but can also pop your Eternal Angel/God S/T cards to trigger their GY related effects and open up potential plays, while also at the cost of 1 banish from GY SP a Token.

("One's knowledge can guide a nation. Mine can guide worlds." - The Eternal Angel of Knowledge)

[spoiler=The Eternal God of Perseverance (Continuous-Spell)]

9Ypg3eT.jpg

Once per turn: You can shuffle up to 3 "Eternal Angel" or "Eternal God" cards in your GY and/or banished back into the Deck, if you do; draw 2 cards. If this card was destroyed and sent to the GY; Special summon it as a Normal monster in face-up defense position (Beast/EARTH/Level 6/ATK 0/DEF 2200) from your GY. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal God of Perseverance" once per turn.

-

Writers note: The first effect allows you to get cards back to search them again on following turns or simply draw 2 IMO just basic stuff with the only difference being that its a once per turn. Also with an effect like this card's second effect If your opponent has a way to pop it which would cancel its effect, they would need to maybe rethink doing so if they don't want to deal with a 2200 booty or what ever you summon using this card. Keep in mind their are ways to pop this yourself so either way you're plusing.

("No goal is unreachable. No victory unachievable. No obstacle is insurmountable. Well... I do speak for myself afterall." -The Eternal God of Perseverance)

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Royalty (Continuous Spell)]

iEP5KO7.jpg

If this card is activated: You can pay 1000LP; Special summon 1 "Reincarnated Royalty Token"(Fairy/LIGHT/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). They cannot be used as Special summon material except for the Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster. Once per turn: You can destroy 1 other Spell/Trap card you control (except monsters in your Pendulum zones), if you do; add 1 "Eternal Angel" or "Eternal God" card from your Deck to your Hand. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal Angel of Royalty" once per turn.

-

Writers note: Regardless of an easy to summon Token, Royalty is the other searcher of this archetype making it more consistent while being able to trigger cards like Perseverance and Tranquility for additional bodies.

("I do not detest mere humans nor do I bear any attachment towards them all I wish are their offerings" - The Eternal Angel of Royalty)

[spoiler=The Eternal God of Desperation (Normal Spell)]

tiwaKsD.jpg

Banish the top card of your Deck; add 1 "Eternal Angel" or "Eternal God" card (except "The Eternal God of Desperation") from your Deck to your Hand. If your opponent Normal summons a monster: You can Special summon this card as a Normal monster (Fiend/DARK/Level 6/ATK 2200/DEF 0) from your GY but banish it when it leaves the field. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal God of Desperation" once per turn.

-

Writers note: Just the searcher of this archetype in cost of a banish and if your opponent normals SP this.

("Kneel before me... witness true despair and face your demise... For I AM Eternal." - The Eternal God of Desperation)

New!

[spoiler=The Eternal God of Discord (Normal Spell)]

Uo38QKB.jpg

Banish up to 3 "Eternal Angel" or "Eternal God" cards in your GY (at least 1); Special summon "Reincarnated Discord" Tokens (Fiend/DARK/Level 6/ATK 0/DEF 0) up to the number of cards banished by this effect. They cannot be used as Special summon material except for the Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster. While this card is in your GY except the turn it was sent there, you can target this card and 1 banished "Eternal Angel" or Eternal God" card; shuffle them back into your Deck. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal God of Discord" once per turn.

-

Writers note: Gives you max 3 tokens to work with and link summon. I added this to make this archetype run faster and smoother overall. Just make sure you don't banish things you will need in coming turn.

TRAP:

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Salvation (Normal Trap)]

5uHNmZb.png

Target 1 monster you control: It has its effects negated but is unaffected by your opponents card effects until the end of this turn. While this card is in your GY (Quick-effect): If a "Eternal God", "Eternal Angel" or "Reincarnated" card you control was destroyed and sent to the GY: You can banish this card in your GY; Special summon 1 "Reincarnated Salvation Token"(Fairy/FIRE/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). They cannot be used as Special summon material except for the Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal Angel of Salvation" once per turn.

-

Writers note: You can protect your tokens or normal "monsters" to Link summon with them next turn or later on in the match protect your Link monsters. Inside your GY this card generates a token upon destruction for Link summons.

(Sorry but couldn't come up with a quote this card would say, but feel free to write some below. thanks!)

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Tranquility (Continuous Trap)]

DERbXQP.png

If this card is activated: Monsters you control cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. While this card is face-up on the field: Neither player takes damage (by either battle or card effects). If this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: You can Special summon 1 "Reincarnated Tranquility Token" (Fairy/LIGHT/Level 6/ATK 2000/DEF 2000). They cannot be used as Special summon material except for the Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster. You can only activate 1 "The Eternal Angel of Tranquility" per turn.

-

Writers note: Protecting monsters from battle is often times underestimated and can save you a turn plus the dmg protection is good against burn decks n prevents silly OTKs, almost forcing your opponent to destroy it which summons a token to Link summon.

("Tranquility is a choice, so is despair. Choose wisely!" - The Eternal Angel of Tranquility)

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Reflection (Counter Trap)]

o7aR3ZQ.jpg

This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s) OR the only monsters you are "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters. When a monster effect is activated on your opponent's side of the field: You can negate the activation, and if yo do, destroy that monster and Special Summon 1 "Reincarnated Reflection Token", with the same original Type, Attribute, Level, ATK and DEF as the destroyed monster. They cannot be used for Special summons except for the Special summon of a "Eternal God" monster . You can banish this card in your GY then destroy 1 "Reincarnated" or "Eternal God" monster on the field; Special summon 1 "Eternal God" monster from your GY. You can only activate the effects of "The Eternal Angel of Reflection" once per turn.

-

Writers note: Negate, copy and then use it to Link summon what else is there to explain. Also its GY eff is a Monster reborn for Eternal god/LINK monsters.

("Everything in your Life is a Reflection of a choice you once made. Everything!" - The Eternal Angel of Reflection)

[spoiler=The Eternal God of Secrets (Normal Trap)]

YwVmnyw.jpg

This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s) OR the only monsters you are "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters. Discard 1 card then target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effects until the end of this turn, if you do; Special summon this card as a Normal monster (Rock/LIGHT/Level 6/ATK 1000/DEF 2500) (This card is also still a Trap card). You can only activate 1 "The Eternal God of Secrets" per turn.

-

Writers note: Its another good disruption tool for this archetype also it summons it self to Link summon or potentially keeping your opponent from otking you with 2500 DEF.

("I bear the the knowledge of all secrets of all the realms, even yours." - The Eternal God of Secrets)

New!

[spoiler=The Eternal Angel of Creation (Normal Trap)]

XFJQHkG.jpg

You can destroy 1 "Reincarnated" monster and 1 face-up "Eternal Angel" card (except "The Eternal Angel of Creation") you control then Special summon 1 Link 2  "Eternal God" monster from your Extra deck to your side of the field, (this is treated as a Link summon) it cannot be destroyed by battle this turn. You can only use the effects of "The Eternal Angel of Creation" once per turn.

-

Writers note: Allows you to Link summon on your opponents turn. Which open up a bunch of different possibilities again. 

LINK:

[spoiler=The Eternal Goddess of Fate (LINK2 down/left, down/right DIVINE)]

uACbLJW.jpg

​Fairy/LINK/Effect

​2 "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters

​Once per turn: You can target 1 card in either players GY; return it to the owners hand. While this card is on the field, if a "Eternal God" or "Eternal Angel" card is destroyed (by either battle or card effect) and sent to the GY; add 1 "Eternal Angel" or "Eternal God" card from your deck to your hand. You can only use each effect of "The Eternal Goddess of Fate" once per turn.

​ATK/2100 Link-2

​("Your Fate lies solely in your hands... and mine of course." - The Eternal Goddess of Fate)

[spoiler=Destruction the Eternal God (LINK2 left, down/right DIVINE)]

25CSu4I.jpg

​Fiend/LINK/Effect

​2 Level 6 monsters

​Once while this card is face-up on the field: If a card on the field is destroyed (by either battle or card effect) and sent to the GY: You can target 1 card on the field; destroy it. During either players end phase: You can target 1 Spell/Trap card in your GY that was destroyed this turn; Special summon it as a Normal monster (Fiend/DARK/Level6/ATK1700/DEF1700) to your side of the field then change its card name to "Reincarnated Destruction" but banish it when it leaves the field.

​ATK/2500 Link-2

("destroy, Destroy, DESTROY" - Destruction the Eternal God)

[spoiler=Supremacy the Eternal God (LINK3 down/left, top, down/right DIVINE)]

jwaG1Ee.jpg

​Warrior/LINK/Effect

2+ "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters

Once per battle phase (Quick-effect): You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; negate its effects and half its ATK/DEF until the end of this turn. If this card battles an opponents monster: It gains 300 ATK during the damage calculation only. If this card is destroyed and sent to the GY: target this card in your GY and 1 card in your opponents GY; shuffle this card back into the Extra deck then banish your opponents card. You can only use the effects of "Supremacy the Eternal God" once per turn.

​ATK/2700 Link-3

​("I have lived longer than you would have ever imagined. Nothing and no one can pose a threat to me." - Supremacy the Eternal God)

[spoiler=Perfection the Eternal God (LINK4 left, down/left, right, down/right DIVINE)]

AND8zGu.jpg

​Spellcaster/LINK/Effect

2+ "Eternal God" monsters

Once per turn (Quick-effect): You can target 1 card you control; its unaffected by your opponents card effects until the end of this turn. If this card is destroyed (by either battle or card effect): Target up to 2 Spell/Trap cards in either players GY; Special summon them to your side of the field as Normal monsters (Fairy/LIGHT/Level6/ATK1700/DEF1700) then change their card names to "Reincarnated Perfection". You can only use the effects of "Perfection the Eternal God" once per turn.

​ATK/3100 Link-4

("I am what every being seeks but no one dares to face." - Perfection the Eternal God)

Let me know if there is something to improve or change up!

Heyo, just letting you know a review is coming!

Why am I posting this instead of writing a review immediately? A sort of motivation for myself; the assigning of responsibilities, as I've looked at this set and felt too lazy before. Expect it soon!

So, a Token deck but not really? Good stuff, love 'em for Links; was expecting an Instant Fusion-esque gimmick, but this works.

[spoiler=Individual card comments]Knowledge is almost literally Mystical Space Typhoon with a Token effect; the only reason not to run it over MST is if you open multiples of this card, but on the other hand, this card grants you a Token that, while you can't use for Summons, still leave you with Tribute and Ritual Summoning options. I could honestly get behind the idea of an alternative means of removal, but such direct powercreep is not something I encourage. Not really seeing the Knowledge either.

Perseverance should honestly allow for banished card interaction, considering its presence within the small main Deck cards, but other than that, simple +0. There's a tendency to shy away from these sort of recycling cards without using hard once per turn clauses, but I honestly don't really have a problem with it. All I'd suggest is not allow it to target itself, a la Jar of Avarice. The this card is still treated as a Spell Card doesn't work, as that clause is only used on cards that directly Special Summon themselves from the Spell/Trap Zone; the clause means they are still considered to be taking up that Spell/Trap Zone. Any card that SSs itself from the GY and/or is non-Continuous uses the is NOT treated wording.

Royalty is pretty good...perhaps too much so. The Quick Effect nature of the destruction (which, by the way, isn't actually applicable, as only monsters have Quick Effects, all other effects are either Quick-Like or Triggered) means you can activate a Normal/Spell Trap Card, destroy it with this card, then destroy the opponent's monster for basically free, as, well, MST doesn't negate. I would honestly scrap it, perhaps make it a tad more archetypal to give you more freedom to work with.

Really like Desperation, particularly your creative nuances on both effects. I'd only suggest that it banishes itself when it leaves the field, so that you can't infinitely reuse the one card, and, if you made my previous suggestion to Perseverance, you can still recycle it.

Salvation reminds me of the The Forbidden Spell series, which featured Quick-Plays modifying ATK for positive/negative effects, depending on if the ATK/DEF was lowered or gained respectively. Also, don't need to specify Quick Effect on a Trap Card; all effects on it are considered Quick-Like, or Speed Spell 2, meaning they can be activated in response to another card or effect.

Returning to the concept of powercreep, Tranquility is an interesting counterpart to Waboku, with the former being better in every regard, save for the effect that a well-timed MST prevents it from going off. Quick Spell/Trap Destruction isn't that much of a thing anymore, so I would say it is a Waboku for the modern age, basically preventing your opponent from doing anything if they can't get rid of it. Interesting card, would like to see someone else's opinion on it. 

Can you elaborate what you mean with Reflection's activation clause: This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s), "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monster(s). I read it as simply being unable to use if you control no monsters...AND control none of the archetypal monsters; maybe you meant  This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s) OR the only monsters you control are"Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters. What happens if you weren't able to destroy a monster, such as if it was already in the GY? Do you still get your token? Last effect is gr8

Did you mean for Secrets to not be able to activated if you control no monsters? Right now it can't, and that severely hampers it. Regardless, good generic card that will still mostly only see use in this set.

Could get away with removing the and sent to the GY portion of Fate's second effect (and on the other monsters), as it can then work in tandem with cards that are banished when they leave the field. Why the painted out portion in the bottom left, btw? Anyway, interesting card, as it does do what Firewall Dragon was used for when it was a ladder, not removal. 

For Destruction, I didn't think destruction had enough presence in this archetype for it to be an effect on both Link 2s. As far as I can see, only 3 of the 8 Main Deckers do it, with this card requiring destruction to trigger its own destruction; even with most of these Links on destruction effects, only Supremacy allows your own cards to kill it. During the End Phase Summoning is kinda meh, as it only exists as a wall for your opponent's turn, and the fact that it only selects destroyed cards makes it even worse.

Your last two links are just rather weak, if I'm being honest, especially considering the amount of effort needed to go into them.

Not a particularly Trapmon/Spellmon archetype, but a little bit of both. Something creative to fit the DIVINE theme that I really do like. However, I do think your destruction effect reliance is a little all over the place; I would suggest either making it a gimmick, and having your other cards do more destruction to actually enable your bosses (if you do that, drop the opponent's card requirement for their on-destruction effect) otherwise you can leave the varied nature of the archetype, and just make it less reliant on those sorts of effects.

I will also say that it's not really very fast; you only have 1 real searcher, and you have to hope you're either drawing your two Spell Summoners or your protection Trap, because if you don't do the former, you have to wait your opponent out; and unfortunately these cards don't have the strength to do that. Even if your opponent didn't have any plays, there's not much this archetype really does when it gets to the bosses, save for the Link 4, and the rest of your line-up is pretty bad. I'd be going into Double Fate any day.

Scattered strength and undecided gimmicks. There's not much flavour-wise I can suggest you fix, because they are, after all, your cards. Hopefully my feedback was helpful :)

So, a Token deck but not really? Good stuff, love 'em for Links; was expecting an Instant Fusion-esque gimmick, but this works.

[spoiler=Individual card comments]Knowledge is almost literally Mystical Space Typhoon with a Token effect; the only reason not to run it over MST is if you open multiples of this card, but on the other hand, this card grants you a Token that, while you can't use for Summons, still leave you with Tribute and Ritual Summoning options. I could honestly get behind the idea of an alternative means of removal, but such direct powercreep is not something I encourage. Not really seeing the Knowledge either.

Perseverance should honestly allow for banished card interaction, considering its presence within the small main Deck cards, but other than that, simple +0. There's a tendency to shy away from these sort of recycling cards without using hard once per turn clauses, but I honestly don't really have a problem with it. All I'd suggest is not allow it to target itself, a la Jar of Avarice. The this card is still treated as a Spell Card doesn't work, as that clause is only used on cards that directly Special Summon themselves from the Spell/Trap Zone; the clause means they are still considered to be taking up that Spell/Trap Zone. Any card that SSs itself from the GY and/or is non-Continuous uses the is NOT treated wording.

Royalty is pretty good...perhaps too much so. The Quick Effect nature of the destruction (which, by the way, isn't actually applicable, as only monsters have Quick Effects, all other effects are either Quick-Like or Triggered) means you can activate a Normal/Spell Trap Card, destroy it with this card, then destroy the opponent's monster for basically free, as, well, MST doesn't negate. I would honestly scrap it, perhaps make it a tad more archetypal to give you more freedom to work with.

Really like Desperation, particularly your creative nuances on both effects. I'd only suggest that it banishes itself when it leaves the field, so that you can't infinitely reuse the one card, and, if you made my previous suggestion to Perseverance, you can still recycle it.

Salvation reminds me of the The Forbidden Spell series, which featured Quick-Plays modifying ATK for positive/negative effects, depending on if the ATK/DEF was lowered or gained respectively. Also, don't need to specify Quick Effect on a Trap Card; all effects on it are considered Quick-Like, or Speed Spell 2, meaning they can be activated in response to another card or effect.

Returning to the concept of powercreep, Tranquility is an interesting counterpart to Waboku, with the former being better in every regard, save for the effect that a well-timed MST prevents it from going off. Quick Spell/Trap Destruction isn't that much of a thing anymore, so I would say it is a Waboku for the modern age, basically preventing your opponent from doing anything if they can't get rid of it. Interesting card, would like to see someone else's opinion on it. 

Can you elaborate what you mean with Reflection's activation clause: This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s), "Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monster(s). I read it as simply being unable to use if you control no monsters...AND control none of the archetypal monsters; maybe you meant  This card can only be activated if you control no monster(s) OR the only monsters you control are"Reincarnated" and/or "Eternal God" monsters. What happens if you weren't able to destroy a monster, such as if it was already in the GY? Do you still get your token? Last effect is gr8

Did you mean for Secrets to not be able to activated if you control no monsters? Right now it can't, and that severely hampers it. Regardless, good generic card that will still mostly only see use in this set.

Could get away with removing the and sent to the GY portion of Fate's second effect (and on the other monsters), as it can then work in tandem with cards that are banished when they leave the field. Why the painted out portion in the bottom left, btw? Anyway, interesting card, as it does do what Firewall Dragon was used for when it was a ladder, not removal. 

For Destruction, I didn't think destruction had enough presence in this archetype for it to be an effect on both Link 2s. As far as I can see, only 3 of the 8 Main Deckers do it, with this card requiring destruction to trigger its own destruction; even with most of these Links on destruction effects, only Supremacy allows your own cards to kill it. During the End Phase Summoning is kinda meh, as it only exists as a wall for your opponent's turn, and the fact that it only selects destroyed cards makes it even worse.

Your last two links are just rather weak, if I'm being honest, especially considering the amount of effort needed to go into them.

Not a particularly Trapmon/Spellmon archetype, but a little bit of both. Something creative to fit the DIVINE theme that I really do like. However, I do think your destruction effect reliance is a little all over the place; I would suggest either making it a gimmick, and having your other cards do more destruction to actually enable your bosses (if you do that, drop the opponent's card requirement for their on-destruction effect) otherwise you can leave the varied nature of the archetype, and just make it less reliant on those sorts of effects.

I will also say that it's not really very fast; you only have 1 real searcher, and you have to hope you're either drawing your two Spell Summoners or your protection Trap, because if you don't do the former, you have to wait your opponent out; and unfortunately these cards don't have the strength to do that. Even if your opponent didn't have any plays, there's not much this archetype really does when it gets to the bosses, save for the Link 4, and the rest of your line-up is pretty bad. I'd be going into Double Fate any day.

Scattered strength and undecided gimmicks. There's not much flavour-wise I can suggest you fix, because they are, after all, your cards. Hopefully my feedback was helpful :)

thanks for the review!

I am looking over some of these cards while taking your review into consideration.

I was fearing that some of these effects might have been a bit weak but that is only because I toned down some effects like for exemple Perseverance, Desperation and Salvation. ​So I am really glad that someone did let me know where I went wrong.

expect changes to follow soon

Added two new cards

changed some effect on the following cards:

The Eternal Angel of Knowledge

The Eternal Angel of Reflection

The Eternal Angel of Royalty

The Eternal God of Desperation

The Eternal God of Perseverance

The Eternal God of Secrets

P.S.: changes on Link monsters and new Link monster coming soon!

Archived