[Sakura] Nā moʻolelo o ka moana (Mekk-Marina)

Assuming my limited knowledge of Hawaiian sentence structure and using the dictionary for words, should translate to "The stories of the ocean", which is appropriate, given the theme and all.

Mekk-marinas are a class of WATER Aqua monsters that are themed on aquatic life, such as dolphins, whales, sharks, manta rays, octopuses, etc. Similar to their counterparts in Crawlers, Jack Knights and so forth, they focus on Link Summoning and tie into the "World Legacy" archetype with an honorary member. Their Main Deck is mostly low Levels so you can make a reasonably nice board and are very straightforward in playing in the early game.

Thematically, this is a tribe that comes from a spinoff story of the World Chalices (or one that has not been revealed yet).

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/334071-archetype-game/?view=findpost&p=7037905

[spoiler=Notes]

So yeah, I wrote the prompt before Palladions came out, but only made this now after handling other business in AGM (because we all know that guy's stance on Link format). It was written as a sidestory for the World Legacy archetype, well, consider it as another adventure. 

"But Sakura, there's no indication that they've moved to the ocean!"

Yes, this is still true right now, but things can certainly change in the next couple sets (and it never hurts). 

Right now, they're allies as you'll tell in the vanilla card provided for reference. 

(Or you can just call them by their OCG name of "Surge Marina".)

===

Also, I do need practice with Link design, given I don't exactly have that luxury due to AGM restrictions in-club and my real life taking up my cardmaking time. That being said, does pretty much what it says on the box; you summon Main Deck, go into the Links and proceed to do things.

As a tribute to Hawaiʻi and the Pacific (well, we're surrounded by the Central Pacific), you get it; the monsters are named in Hawaiian with the proper spelling and whatnot. The Link Monsters derive from Hawaiian deities and their kino lau (or body forms), though because this is an aquatic theme, only those that are associated with water and have a sea form got one. (So...that means Lono got shafted here for the time being).

There are several shark themed cards, and/or those named for Kanaloa or Kū. Kanaloa is associated with the ocean (including organisms in there) and sharks are seen as strong family guardians here (ʻaumākua). Kū is included because a shark is one of his forms (reflected here), as well as an eel, fish and sea cucumber for major ones. 

(I likely will not delve into the latter too much at this time, given the archetype's size already. However, I may address it as needed.)

Names aren't something I came up with out of the blue; rather, they derive from those given in articles written about the subject. First two are from my course reader for REL 205 (Understanding Hawaiian Religion) last spring; the PDF link generally confirms stuff in those two. 

- Haumea lāua ʻo Moemoeʻaliʻi
- Ke Au Kanaloa, Ke Akua

(Note: Kihawahine is not referenced in the first two, despite being given a form here. Her inclusion is because moʻo are associated with water [fresh water; not the ocean] and also because of her status as a war god and inside other stories that do feature her crossing the ocean.)

The heavy flavor stuff aside because this is still being researched, they should generally function similarly to ARC-V decks, but modified appropriately for VRAINS era play.

[spoiler=Cards]

Wished by the World Chalice

Level 3 | WIND | Spellcaster | Normal

1400/1400

With the power to develop alliances at will, she has made a contract with the Mekk-marinas to help protect both their worlds from the invading Mekkstrocities and Mekk-knights.

(This is pretty much what started the whole thing in reference; well, I actually wrote this shortly after Jack-knights were released and before Blue Sky sacrificing himself to save Auram / Avram before Troymares took over the others. Obviously, the flavor text needs fixing to an extent because Jack-knights are technically not evil, but focus on the below cards, will ya?)

Mekk-Marina Nai'a (Dolphin)
Level 4 | WATER | Aqua | Effect
1600/1400
① When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your hand, except "Mekk-Marina Naiʻa". ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect.
• Once per turn: You can target 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls; return them to the hand. 

Mekk-Marina He'e (Octopus)
1700/1200
① When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your Deck or GY to your hand, except "Mekk-Marina Heʻe". ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect.
• This card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.

Mekk-Marina Hāhālua (Manta ray)
1400/1800
① When this card is Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your GY, except "Mekk-Marina Hāhālua". ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect.
• Cannot be destroyed by an opponent's effects.

Mekk-Marina Honu (Turtle)
1100/2100
① When this card is Summoned: You can add 1 "Mekk-Marina" Spell/Trap from your Deck or GY to your hand. ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect. 
• Cannot be destroyed by battle, also you take no battle damage from battles involving this monster.

Mekk-Marina Manō (Shark)
1800/1000
① When this card is Summoned: You can target 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster you control; your opponent takes damage equal to its Level x 200 or Link Rating x 400. ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect. 
• If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: Your opponent takes damage equal to its ATK.

Mekk-Marina Puhi (Eel)
1500/1700
You can only Special Summon "Mekk-Marina Puhi" with its ① effect once per turn. ① If you control another "Mekk-Marina" monster except "Mekk-Marina Puhi", you can Special Summon this card from your hand. ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect.
• Cannot be targeted by an opponent's effects.

Mekk-Marina 'Alakuma (Crab)
1900/1100
① When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; its ATK and DEF are halved until the end of this turn. ② A "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster that used this card as material gains the following effect.
• Cannot be destroyed by battle, also you take no damage from battles involving this monster.

World Legacy - World Ship
Level 7 | DARK | Machine | Effect
2200/2800 
You can only Special Summon a monster with this card name once per turn. You can only use each of this card name's effects once per turn. (1) If this card is in your hand: You can shuffle 2 other monsters with different names from your hand or GY into the Deck; Special Summon this card. (2) If a monster is Special Summoned from the Extra Deck: You can add 1 "Mekk-Marina" card from your Deck to your hand. (3) You can Tribute this card; Set 1 "World Legacy" Spell/Trap in your GY to your field.

(This would probably be yellow / green, given the missing colors at present.)

Mekk-Marina Moʻo o Kihawahine
Link 4 | WATER | Aqua | Link | Effect
W / E / SW / SE
2+ "Mekk-Marina" monsters
You can only control 1 monster with this card name. ① While this card points to a "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster, it is unaffected by your opponent's card effects. ② If a "Mekk-Marina" monster you control battles an opponent's monster, any battle damage they inflict to your opponent is doubled. ③ If this Link Summoned monster leaves the field: You can Special Summon 2 "Mekk-Marina" monsters with different names from your GY, except a monster with this card name. 

Mekk-Marina Palaoa o Kanaloa
Link 4 | WATER | Aqua | Link | Effect
N / W / E / S
① Once per turn: You can excavate the top 5 cards of your Deck; take up to 2 "Mekk-Marina" cards with different names among those cards and either add them to your hand or Set them, then shuffle the remaining cards into the Deck. ② If this card points to another "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster, you can activate "Mekk-Marina" Spells/Traps from your hand or GY, but shuffle them into the Deck when they leave the field. ③ If this Link Summoned monster leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your GY, except a Link Monster.

Mekk-Marina Manō o Kānemilohaʻi
Link 3 | WATER | Aqua | Link | Effect
NW / W / E
You can only control 1 monster with this card name. ① Once per turn (Quick Effect), if this card points to a "Mekk-Marina" monster: You can banish up to 2 cards from the GYs, then gain 600 LP for each. ② If this Link Summoned monster leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your GY, except a Link Monster. 

Mekk-Marina Manō o Kūhaʻimoana
Link 3 | WATER | Aqua | Link | Effect
NE / W / E
You can only control 1 monster with this card name. ① Once per turn (Quick Effect), if this card points to a "Mekk-Marina" monster: You can banish up to 2 cards on the field, face-down, then inflict 600 damage to your opponent for each. ② If this Link Summoned monster leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your GY, except a Link Monster. 

Mekk-Marina Nai'a o Kanaloa
Link 2 | WATER | Aqua | Link | Effect
E / S
2 WATER monsters, including at least 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster
You can only control 1 monster with this card name. ① Monsters this card points to can attack directly, but any battle damage they inflict to your opponent is halved. ② If this Link Summoned monster leaves the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Mekk-Marina" monster from your GY, except a Link Monster. 

Mekk-Marina Sacred Ocean
Field Spell
① "Mekk-Marina" monsters you control gain 300 ATK/DEF. ② Once per turn: You can target 1 "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster you control that was Link Summoned, then shuffle 1 "Mekk-Marina" non-Link monster from your hand or GY into the Deck; the targeted monster is treated as being Link Summoned using the shuffled monster as material. 

(Idea of this is basically "grant the added effects of 1 Main Deck member you didn't use initially to summon it". As a clarification, that's what it should be doing.)

Mekk-Marina Festival
Continuous Spell
You can only control 1 card with this card name. ① Each time that a "Mekk-Marina" monster is Link Summoned, draw 1 card. ② During either player's turn: You can send this card to the GY, then reveal 1 "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster in your Extra Deck; shuffle materials listed on that monster you control or from your GY into the Deck; Special Summon that monster. (This is treated as a Link Summon.)

Mekk-Marina Judgment
Counter Trap
If you control 2 or more "Mekk-Marina" Link Monsters, you can activate this card from your hand. ① If your opponent Summons a monster while you control a "Mekk-Marina" Link Monster: Negate that Summon, and if you do, destroy that monster.

At the moment, think I added everything I needed to for making this functional without the need for external engines (sans the World Legacy backrow wherever applicable).

I'll add some more on (and/or modify things as appropriate) if I find problems during testing on Duel Portal. 

iU8EggM.png

CHANGELOG

- 5/16/2018: Archetype posted. 

iU8EggM.png

In terms of writing names, you can substitute the ʻokina with the apostrophe and leave the kahakō/macron off if you need to. 

Or you can just c/p the names individually; I leave the choice to you because keyboard problems. 

I technically have to switch keyboard settings to Māori for long vowels w/out using online ones, so...

iU8EggM.png

You all know how reviewing my stuff works by now, so...go at it. 

Funnily enough, the story does reach what appears to be an ocean, as seen in "World Legacy - World Lance".

Aren't these supposed to be mechanical? Why did you go for Aqua over, let's say, Machine?

World Ship is off-theme since World Legacies are based on equipment or gear, with the exception of Chalice but that's because it's implied to be the core.

Flavor aside:

Of course I would need to test these somehow, but at first glance these look actually overpowered xD

The main deck monsters are cookie-cutter, almost like standard Tellarknights, so far so good. But then you have the Links, which not only can stack the gained effects of the maindeck monsters, also they get to float through Link laddering. So, basically we are looking at some kind of hybrid of Tellarknights + Goukis, and if Goukis are about to crash TCG due to Troymares... I guess you can already get an idea of the potential these ones have. Then again, something that holds Goukis back is their reliance on the Normal Summon, and seems the same would go for this archetype, but still, they appear to have crazy Link laddering and combo plays. That, or just directly go for a Link4 stacked with 4 different effects from the maindeck materials. Then they have a couple of power cards in there, namely Manō o Kūhaʻimoana. And Festival. Hold on... the draw effect of Festival is no hard OPT? o.O

Actually, a flaw they have is that the effects of their maindeck monsters can miss timing, so they are not as straightforward or practical as they may look like.

By the way, Spells cannot have the "(Quick Effect)" clause. Quick Effect is a type of monster effect according to the YGO Wikia. You should use good old "During either player's turn" instead.

I know your version of the prompt had them as Machine, but I used the one I came up with to advance the game along (which, yeah, are Aqua monsters). Kihawahine is an exception to that though, being Reptile. Aesthetically, they probably should've been Machine, given the name, but that was probably before Krawlers retained their OCG name and Jack-Knights got changed. 

As for Ship, yeah, it is out of flavor in terms of the armor thing that the Legacies have. Would've liked to use a Spear or something, but that was taken by Troymare's one. Would need to think of what armor or equipment piece that would work and also thematically fit into the archetype having a Hawai'i theme. 

===

With Festival, I think I left it off on the impression that they wouldn't be spamming too much (or the "only control 1" thing would've cut it). Should test that out on DP's solitaire mode now that it exists and see how spammy they are. I'll just make it hard OPT if not having one is an issue (and yeah, fix the wording on Quick Effect).

Archived