Welcome to Yugioh Card Maker Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pokémon Archetype Club

Pokémon pokemon Poké Pokémon Archetype Pokémon Club Pokémon Trading Card Game PAC

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts
    Last Visit Today, 08:18 AM
  • Discord:Sakura#2014
  • Spouse:Latias and Sapphy-chan

For the most part, seems okay, but may be subject to change as more designs come out. 

As of right now, I'll probably reserve Arcanine and the Eeveelution line (latter will probably require a different design strategy, given Eevee's unorthodox evolutions and all). For legendaries, calling the Eon siblings, but let's get to them after we flesh out the standard 'mons.

===

In this case, 2 stage 'mons may break the template a bit and fall under the guidelines I suggested earlier (i.e. Arcanine has higher BST comparatively, so potentially Level 6-7; Eeveelutions likely Level 6, but can try to make them Level 5).

We'll have to see, because yeah, the template isn't accurate for scaling as some 'mons are comparatively larger than the averages they're designed for. In terms of ideal BST limits, you can probably use these as rough guidelines. 

• Stage 2: More/less referring to the middle stages for the 3-part ones; not for the entirety of fully-evolved 'mons like the ones that only evolve once. 
    • BST 380 - 450/460? (It's a iffy limit because some fully evolved stuff do have a lower BST than even mid-stage evolutions, though a few have abilities that double their stats)
  • Fully-evolved: Normally the range is for 500-540 BST, but some smaller ones may need higher Levels to accommodate for their stronger attacks/defenses. Conversely, really gimmicky ones may be lower Level (like what you did with Magcargo)
    • Arcanine has BST 555, which is technically the highest out of any non-Mega or legendary 'mon without drawbacks (Archeops and Slaking both have higher stats, but their abilities suck). 

In a sense, setting absolute Level limits isn't exactly a good idea because exceptions do exist and can fall out of the ranges. Granted, a few 'mons who are in the BST range for fully-evolved mentioned above aren't exactly great except for walling due to absurdly high defenses (and HP) and bad offense, so they can fall into the Level 4 range. Others can probably fall into the specs in the template, but in a lot of cases, some design room may be needed. 

Yeah, difficulty in designing Pokemon cards given the above are a reason why I only picked certain 'mons to design for, and not the entire Pokedex. 

===

Legendaries (mythicals are grouped here too) and most of the competitively used stuff (roughly UU and above) are easier to categorize by Levels; the most obscure stuff in PU (or not having viable offenses, etc) and whatnot pose some challenge.

Card Directory and TCG Decks
Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Zootopia GIFs (I have too many of them in here -_-)
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Pokémon X / AS / Sun FC: 4098-4005-6931

(If you add my code, make sure you tell me so I can add you back)

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts
    Last Visit Yesterday, 03:09 PM

That's why the blueprints say "~5". You can just of course make them a different level if you have a reason. I'll replace the swigly line with "usually 5 unless there is a reason for a different level". And if there are slight inconsitansies in the levels. Then... so what?

Also, I added your reservations to the list.

Creator of the Pokémon Archetype Club! A club that wants to make a Pokémon Archetype! 

Link: https://forum.yugioh...archetype-club/

I'm also into memes. Send me memes please.

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

If there's some inconsistencies between Levels here, then it's no big deal. I brought up that point because yeah, not all fully evolved 'mons are as powerful (a few being even worse than 2nd stage evos in a three Pokemon line) and the template doesn't necessarily fit all of them, level-wise.

Just deal with them on a case-by-case basis, given everything we have to work with.

We do have over 800 'mons to design for, plus the Gyms and other stuff (which will end up larger than that guy's DBZ project in Experimental, however our stuff will actually work [or least be designed with the goal of making them survive the meta at the current time]).

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Do any of you have anything to say about the cards currently up for scutiny? Maybe some clear ways the cast should be changed in your opponion? Any feedback is appreciated.

Also, what do you guys think of me making an Abillity card? Which would be a card base around the Abillity Partental Bond.

Creator of the Pokémon Archetype Club! A club that wants to make a Pokémon Archetype! 

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

If you're referring to Flannery's stuff, see review in there. As for Tinkerer, Reptilious, etc, you'd need to get on them. Lavaridge should be fine for now without needing to nerf it again for potential OTKs. 

No objections to ability cards, though just don't make one for every single ability that exists in Pokemon (well, taking into consideration some of them are literally rebranded versions of each other because giving them the others doesn't work flavorwise). 

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Tinkerer Bartholomew Melon

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,061 posts
  • Alias:Tinkerer

I'd just tone down the stat boost on the Gym from 700 to, at most, 500.  Other than that, I think your Flannery set gives a good benchmark for the our designs overall.

Abilities should be fine.  I just want to make sure that we don't get overly caught up making stuff like abilities/items/etc. and neglect making the 'mon themselves.  I'll see about tossing up a few cards later today/tomorrow.

EDIT: Will post Shuckle, Remoraid, Octillery, and a PokeMove card that supports both Shuckle & Octillery tomorrow.

Edited by Tinkerer Bartholomew Melon, 02 June 2018 - 10:57 PM.

Hello, fine peoples!

Oh hey, something notable I guess

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted my first set: https://forum.yugioh...eam-pacwritten/

Hello, fine peoples!

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

I made Shuckle, Remoraid, Octillary and Signal Beam official.

If anyone has problems with that please do speak up

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

Right now, I generally don't have concerns about it; Shuckle was the problem card, but he technically fixed it to address that potential double lock thing. It's still potent, but yeah.

Should get to work on the Eeveelution stuff (inb4 partial rip-off of my original ones from 2013/2014); though in their case, I did scale their power levels based on their actual in-game stats. 

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Finished "Parental Bond" and I think it turned out great!

Link: https://forum.yugioh...-parental-bond/

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,061 posts

Gonna reserve a 3 'mon line - Chikorita, its evos.  Also planning on dropping Solarbeam with the line.

Parental Bond looks good.  It really is completely necessary for something like this project.  It either unbricks the hand or increases the power level of what you could field.

I think the biggest problem that this archetype is going to experience, though, is burning through its advantage too quickly.  Like tribute summoning, the evolution mechanic is inherently a -1, but like Cyberse, it feels like you could dump cards on the field fairly easily, draining hand resources.  It's going to be tenuous trying to balance this out..

Anyways, thoughts on Unown being simply a Normal monster?  Though it does have an attack, I'm thinking it would be perfect as a means of taking advantage of Normal monster support in yugioh.

Hello, fine peoples!

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

I guess I'm personally fine with it being a normal monster but there are also a lot of ideas with hidden powers power to change type. So I guess I'd also want other people's oppinion on that.

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

Considering how much Unown sucks (no seriously, it only learns Hidden Power and that's it), being a Normal Monster is fitting. But then again, Hidden Power can change based on who's using it, but mechanics behind it are complicated. You can probably implement it somehow as a type changer, however the wording will be ugly. 

Parental Bond is fine, since yeah, it'll grab everything you need when it's required.

====

That being said, just expect that no one but club members are going to review PAC stuff (not to be negative, but yeah, issue being that most of Advanced doesn't pay attention to what's inside club projects and/or has interest in Pokémon). It's same with AGM in most cases. 

====

I think the Arcanine line would be an appropriate starting point on my end, then go deal with the Eeveelutions.

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,061 posts

Made a few more cards: https://forum.yugioh...eam-pacwritten/

Hello, fine peoples!

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Made all awaiting cards official. As I saw Tinkerer fixed Meganium.

Edit: I will be also reserving the Ghastly line!

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Y'all need to step up your game, finished another batch of cards. But they might be OP so they need critiqueing.

https://forum.yugioh...gar-pacwritten/

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

If I haven't said this already, I've been spending the last 5-6 weeks doing summer school coursework for CEE 431 (Wastewater Engineering) online, so I do not have as much time as I would like for design (though I got ideas). That, and couple it with my other duties here. 

Hopefully by next week, I can start rolling out stuff on a more frequent basis since course ends on Friday

===

P.S. I already reviewed the new stuff. 

Edited by Flash Flyer - Sakura, 25 June 2018 - 06:37 AM.

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

The Aloof One

• Elite Members
  • 4,061 posts
As a whole, I'm seeing a bit of a trend with basics (that evolve). They have been largely about not losing advantage (gaining advantage or making opponent lose advantage), which makes sense as a whole, considering the nature of evolution. I think it is something that should be a kept trend (with others possibly being more gimmicky, which I kinda wanna do with my next batch), but it is a trend that we'll need to keep a firm hand on.

...also looked through the Gastly line cards.

Hello, fine peoples!

Ninjaskisbae

Ninjaskisbae

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 118 posts

Do I understand correctly that you like this trend and want it to stay this way but with a few exceptions?

Or do you mean that there is something wrong with this and it should be changed?

I'm just going to come out and admit that the level of English you two use is beyond my comprehension as you both use a lot of (American) proverbs. I understand from context that "keeping a firm hand on something" means to keep it under control? But I really don't understand how exactly that would be executed in this case. 

So sorry for the trouble!

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

大閃光の心霊龍主人公

• Moderators

• 39,157 posts

Do I understand correctly that you like this trend and want it to stay this way but with a few exceptions?

Or do you mean that there is something wrong with this and it should be changed?

I'm just going to come out and admit that the level of English you two use is beyond my comprehension as you both use a lot of (American) proverbs. I understand from context that "keeping a firm hand on something" means to keep it under control? But I really don't understand how exactly that would be executed in this case. 

So sorry for the trouble!

The former, given from the tone of Tinkerer's post. I think he's fine with how the evolution stuff works here as far as the current designs, but probably for him anyway. 

But in the context of this club, suppose the advantage thing is needed, considering the 'mons that have been made thus far usually require some degree of investment to make worthwhile (given their counterpart's status). 

====

For me, I'll probably go start on the Arcanine line; Eeveelution one may be a short while, given the nature of how they work. 

Viva Club Espeon!
Extra Images / GFX stuff
Character results
YCM Accolades

IzFJLd3.pngJAYSUMQ.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users