Artifact support

SecondSeraphim

Was playing with Artifacts the other day and, well, frankly speaking they suck. I remember them dominating the meta when new, but now a days they just don't work that well. I decided to give them some support and cover some of the weaknesses they have.

Artifact Caladbolg                LIGHT/Fairy/LV5                  ATK 0 / DEF 2200

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell Card. During your opponent's turn, if this Set card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Special Summon it. During either player’s turn, you can reveal this card in your hand and target a Spell/Trap card either player controls; destroy it and Special Summon this card to that card’s controller’s field.

Artifact Caliburn                  LIGHT/Fairy/LV5                  ATK 1000 / DEF 2000

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell Card. During your opponent's turn, if this Set card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Special Summon it. During your turn, if you control this Set card but did not Set it this turn, you can reveal this card; Send this card to the GY and Set an “Artifact” card from your Deck to your Spell/Trap zone, other than “Artifact Caliburn”.

Artifact Excalibur                 LIGHT/Fairy/Link                  ATK 1800 / Link 2     U,D

2 Fairy monsters

Once per turn during either player’s turn (Quick Effect) you can target a card in this card’s column; destroy it, then it’s controller can draw 1 card.

Artifact Armory        Field Spell

The effects of other “Artifact” cards in your possession that read “During your opponent's turn” are treated as reading “During either player’s turn” instead. “Artifact” monsters you control gain 200 ATK x the number of the Set cards in your Spell/Trap zones. "Artifact" monsters can be Normal Summoned without Tribute.

I fixed up the card text a bit for you.

Artifact Caladbolg

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell. During your opponent's turn, if this Set card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed and sent to your GY: Special Summon it. Once per Chain (Quick Effect): You can reveal this card in your hand, then target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; destroy it, and if you do, Special Summon this card to that card’s controller’s side of the field.

Don't mind the once per chain. I added it because otherwise, if you have a quick effect with no limits on its activation and no cost that stops you from activating it multiple times, you can activate it infinite times in a chain.

It's a good way to combo for an xyz. That'd work best on your turn, so I guess it's intended to work with the field spell, but that's too clunky of a combo. It's also a pretty good generic s/t removal handtrap, but I wouldn't say it's broken because of summoning to the opponent's field. It's still very good for getting rid of Anti-Spell Fragrance.

It doesn't slot very well into the current Artifact engine, because it has to be in the hand and all Artifact searchers put on field, but it's a mustrun for a pure Artifact deck (because it seems you are that crazy) simply because it puts an extra body on board.

Artifact Caliburn

You can Set this card from your hand to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell. During your opponent's turn, if this Set card in the Spell & Trap Zone is destroyed and sent to your GY: Special Summon it. If this card was not Set this turn: You can reveal this Set card; send it to the GY, and if you do, Set 1 “Artifact” card from your Deck to your Spell & Trap Zone as a Spell, except “Artifact Caliburn”.

This is sort of just worse Artifact Ignition as a monster. Since a turn has to pass before you get the search, it's too slow to be helpful. If you draw it, you're probably going to destroy it and summon it during the opponent's turn instead of waiting, and the only other way to use it is to set it with Ignition, and you could've just set the monster you wanted anyway. It's not really what Artifacts need, which is more reactive summons and better protection, and maybe more bosses.

Artifact Excalibur

2 Fairy monsters

Once per turn (Quick Effect): You can target 1 card in this card’s column; destroy it, then its controller can draw 1 card.

The markers are pretty unhelpful. I don't think a Link this limited really needs to point to the opponent's zones. It's useless as removal unless you're desperate, because it can't move columns and giving your opponent a draw isn't worth it. As a combo with Artifacts it's decent, but can only get off one summon and draw a turn, and since it has to wait a turn it's highly likely your opponent will just kill it. Durendal is usually a better summon for its negation.

It is generic, so it can possibly combo with other decks that like destroying themselves, like Metalfoes, Magicians, True Kings… it at least makes Yang Zings miss timing. I don't think there are any Fairy decks of note, so that's probably fine.

Artifact Armory

The effects of other “Artifact” cards in your possession that read “During your opponent's turn” are treated as reading “During either player’s turn” instead. “Artifact” monsters you control gain 200 ATK for each Set card in your Spell & Trap Zones. You can Normal Summon "Artifact" monsters without Tributing.

The first effect is nice and all, but I think it's pretty unnecessary. It just seems like a cheap move to decide you don't like the way an archetype is written and change it, instead of supporting the archetype so it works better in the way it's supposed to work. Basically, Artifacts is supposed to be a reactive sort of stun deck, so it works on the opponent's turn. It makes the deck weak, yes, but you have an awkward solution. It's an underwhelming effect anyway.

The ATK gain isn't going to be helping the deck in its control-based wincon, and no one ever normal summoned Artifact monsters. None of them benefit you when normal summoned, and you have better things to normal summon on your turn, like Fossil Dyna.

Archived