Masked Chimera (Lion Heart, Snake Tail, Lumis/Umbra Approved)

masked_chimera_by_bdsceptyr-dccwj90.png

[spoiler=Masked Chimera: Info]

DARK/Fiend-Type Effect Monster/Level 8/2610 ATK/2460 DEF

Lore: You can Tribute Summon this card face-up by Tributing 2 Spells/Traps on the field, including a "Mask" Spell/Trap you control. The effects of cards targeted by the effects of "Mask" cards are negated, except for Fiend monsters. Once per turn, if a ""Mask" card(s) is sent from the field to the GY: You can target 1 monster on the field; it loses ATK equal to the LP its controller lost last turn, then you can Set 1 "Mask" Spell/Trap from your GY if it lost 1000 or less ATK this way. This card is treated as a Normal Monster while in the GY.

WOW did it take a while to submit this! But yes, the wait is over and the Lumis/Umbra legendary duelist support can continue into its third day, with THIS FELLA which is based on THIS fella!

And really, with all the utility it gives to the Mask-loving Duelist in you, why wouldn't it? It has it all; a cheap summoning condition that Melchid, Grand Tiki, and some other vanilla DARK Rituals can fulfill, the ability to recur your MANLY Masks (don't believe me ask Bats) back to the field for a reconstitution of the LP burn that Dispel and Accursed dealt your opponent, and the reflection of Battle Damage should one of the Continuous or Equip Masks be up on your field, one of which can up this card's ATK to 3300? The same as the greatest of the Masked Beasts?

Well.

It seems they that kept Yugi and Kaiba at bay have some new ways to play. 

Till next time, reviews and revelry are like bacon-wrapped bacon; always welcome.

BD'S, signing off.

UPDATE I: Thanks to Sakura's help, I've overhauled what is now called Masked Chimera entirely- now it's a straight upgrade of Dark Chimera, with 3 more Levels and 1000 more ATK/DEF, as well as gaining an alternate Tribute Summoning method that can go around Mask of Restrict, and a revival Mask effect that drops the ATK of anything on the field (with a catch-on effect that also ruins their effects should they be targeted by ANY MASK CARD.)

Card is technically fine balancing-wise, but application leaves things to be desired; especially for modern standards. 

You probably know this by now, but most, if not all of the relevant DARK non-Effect targets you'd reveal with this are generally not worth running competitively, plus only good Mask targets that you even bother with are either Remnants if you use Des Gardius, Brutality for power or Restrict.

(Yes, I am aware that you have made some more Lumis/Umbra legacy stuff like another Mask Spell, but I will not address them in this review.)

Battle damage reversing is nice on paper, but application-wise, it's kind of meh considering you need to actually have one of those Masks out (in most cases, maybe Restrict or Brutality on this card / another monster). Like I noted above, the other targets aren't worth it; Dispel just burns and doesn't actually do anything, Accursed gets removed if monster is used to ladder [common], Remnants needs Des Gardius to work and well, that's it. Still doesn't protect your monsters from getting killed though, or even this for most part.

Recovering dead Masks like Restrict is nice and all (considering how much S/T removal exists nowadays), but we go into the issue of the targets at present being meh outside for it at the moment; least by current standards. 

At least it gets Normal Monster support in the GY (well, Swing/Birthright, etc), but that doesn't say much moving forward. 

I would say to swap the reversed damage for protection or something proactive (i.e. destroy something once per turn) because whatever you reflect onto the opponent probably won't be a lot in the long run (and that's assuming you still have this out). Or just replace being a Vanilla monster in the GY for self-protection; it doesn't really do anything for the card usage-wise except for Swing. 

Considering what this was designed for, it's fine, but that's about all it can do. (Then again, Lumis/Umbra were only effective because tag team; singles, either one of them would be dead without a chance of acting.)

Card is technically fine balancing-wise, but application leaves things to be desired; especially for modern standards. 

You probably know this by now, but most, if not all of the relevant DARK non-Effect targets you'd reveal with this are generally not worth running competitively, plus only good Mask targets that you even bother with are either Remnants if you use Des Gardius, Brutality for power or Restrict.

(Yes, I am aware that you have made some more Lumis/Umbra legacy stuff like another Mask Spell, but I will not address them in this review.)

Battle damage reversing is nice on paper, but application-wise, it's kind of meh considering you need to actually have one of those Masks out (in most cases, maybe Restrict or Brutality on this card / another monster). Like I noted above, the other targets aren't worth it; Dispel just burns and doesn't actually do anything, Accursed gets removed if monster is used to ladder [common], Remnants needs Des Gardius to work and well, that's it. Still doesn't protect your monsters from getting killed though, or even this for most part.

Recovering dead Masks like Restrict is nice and all (considering how much S/T removal exists nowadays), but we go into the issue of the targets at present being meh outside for it at the moment; least by current standards. 

At least it gets Normal Monster support in the GY (well, Swing/Birthright, etc), but that doesn't say much moving forward. 

I would say to swap the reversed damage for protection or something proactive (i.e. destroy something once per turn) because whatever you reflect onto the opponent probably won't be a lot in the long run (and that's assuming you still have this out). Or just replace being a Vanilla monster in the GY for self-protection; it doesn't really do anything for the card usage-wise except for Swing. 

Considering what this was designed for, it's fine, but that's about all it can do. (Then again, Lumis/Umbra were only effective because tag team; singles, either one of them would be dead without a chance of acting.)

This does give me a whole new idea to overhaul this card, actually!

Thank you so much, Sakura!

Archived